Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Suicide and Violence Help Thread

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Feral Oneiric wrote:
He tells me to find something else to live for.

Kayelless addressed this very point in the post immediately above yours.  Live for yourself.

Feb 13 09 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

how you doin' tonight, Guy?

Feb 13 09 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Kayelless wrote:
how you doin' tonight, Guy?

Doing good.  My major issue is figuring out how to get a job, now that I've decided to abandon my one highly marketable skill (computer programming).  I've basically chosen three paths to starvation: I can be a fine-art photographer, I can be a writer, or I can be an actor.

Supposedly I have a genius-level IQ.  Brings home the point that IQ doesn't mean much.

How are you?

Feb 13 09 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:

Doing good.  My major issue is figuring out how to get a job, now that I've decided to abandon my one highly marketable skill (computer programming).  I've basically chosen three paths to starvation: I can be a fine-art photographer, I can be a writer, or I can be an actor.

Supposedly I have a genius-level IQ.  Brings home the point that IQ doesn't mean much.

How are you?

nice path to starvation.... send us post cards, eh?

Feb 13 09 08:11 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:

How are you?

As someone who has myself considered abandoning my marketable computer-programming skills and choosing a path to starvation, I must ask:

Why have you decided to abandon those marketable skills?

Feb 13 09 08:12 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

Feb 13 09 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Monad Studios wrote:

As someone who has myself considered abandoning my marketable computer-programming skills and choosing a path to starvation, I must ask:

seriously. I'm trying to gain them.
Wanna trade, Guy?

Feb 13 09 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lovely Laurie wrote:

I know how you feel. But I finally went to the doctor today and told them and they rushed me to a therapist.  I have to go back to get evaluated to see what drugs I should take. Are you on meds? Do you see a therapist?

how are you doing?

Feb 14 09 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

Good Morning everyone wink

Feb 14 09 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

SPierce Photography wrote:
Good Morning everyone wink

Morning! big_smile

Feb 14 09 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Monad Studios wrote:

I have come to despise the work.  It is a lonely, soulless job, plagued by managers who don't understand Murphy's Law, if it ain't broke don't fix it, GIGO, KISS, and other basic tenets of engineering.  It is being overrun by new supposedly "improved" technologies that are resource hogs and impose inadequate API's and flawed programming paradigms on the developer.  It is a festering wasteland populated by wet-behind-the-ears college graduates who think they know more about programming than experienced professionals, and who are better suited for working in an Object-Oriented spaghetti factory.  It rarely provides an opportunity to innovate, since innovation is too expensive.  We are often forced to integrate with buggy, badly-designed and poorly-documented third-party libraries that can't actually handle production environments.  Lifecycle management is driven by customer whim instead of rational design decisions.  Features are requested that bypass security and reliability of software, but "must" be added because the customer wants them.

In short, it's the antithesis of rational design, and I couldn't take it anymore.

Give me C++ on UNIX with an intelligent, non-delusional, non-paranoid boss and I *might* be happy.  But with the direction the industry is going, I see the chances of that dwindling.

Guy

P.S.  I'm sure some of you will disagree with some of what I have said.  This has been my experience after 9 years as a professional programmer.  I'm not interested in debating it.  Other companies might not have the same problems I described, but they have problems nonetheless.

Feb 14 09 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Kayelless wrote:

Morning! big_smile

How you doing this am? big_smile

Feb 14 09 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Gah.  Having said all that stuff in my previous post, I just applied for a job at Google.  I don't know if I want anyone to wish me luck or not.

*confused*

Feb 14 09 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:
Gah.  Having said all that stuff in my previous post, I just applied for a job at Google.  I don't know if I want anyone to wish me luck or not.

*confused*

I'm going to hire you as my official mentor....

Feb 14 09 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

How you doing this am? big_smile

Editing images and listening to Sade. I'm doin' good. tongue

Feb 14 09 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Lawrence Guy wrote:

*confused*

Good luck! smile Heres hoping that no matter what you are doing, you find a fun company and a wonderful boss to work with smile

Feb 14 09 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:

I have come to despise the work.  It is a lonely, soulless job, plagued by managers who don't understand Murphy's Law, if it ain't broke don't fix it, GIGO, KISS, and other basic tenets of engineering.  It is being overrun by new supposedly "improved" technologies that are resource hogs and impose inadequate API's and flawed programming paradigms on the developer.  It is a festering wasteland populated by wet-behind-the-ears college graduates who think they know more about programming than experienced professionals, and who are better suited for working in an Object-Oriented spaghetti factory.  It rarely provides an opportunity to innovate, since innovation is too expensive.  We are often forced to integrate with buggy, badly-designed and poorly-documented third-party libraries that can't actually handle production environments.  Lifecycle management is driven by customer whim instead of rational design decisions.  Features are requested that bypass security and reliability of software, but "must" be added because the customer wants them.

In short, it's the antithesis of rational design, and I couldn't take it anymore.

Give me C++ on UNIX with an intelligent, non-delusional, non-paranoid boss and I *might* be happy.  But with the direction the industry is going, I see the chances of that dwindling.

Guy

P.S.  I'm sure some of you will disagree with some of what I have said.  This has been my experience after 9 years as a professional programmer.  I'm not interested in debating it.  Other companies might not have the same problems I described, but they have problems nonetheless.

I loved the old C, C++ programming on *nix systems. It was so simple. So easy to streamline. Now, as you said. we're being forced to use "prefabbed code" to implement complex tasks that it wasn't designed to handle. At least not efficiently.

I'm with ya on all this. Best of luck with whatever it is you do. When I was doing it, I did it as a volunteer for non-profit organizations and they were happy to just let me do my thing as long as it did their thing. No income for me other than satisfaction. I did realize then that I wouldn't want to do it for a paying job.

Feb 14 09 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Kayelless wrote:
I'm going to hire you as my official mentor....

How much does the job pay?  What are the hours?  Do you expect results?  If so, do you expect good results?

Feb 14 09 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:

How much does the job pay?  What are the hours?  Do you expect results?  If so, do you expect good results?

peace of mind. 24/7 on call. in 15 days or my money back. only on good days.
When can you start?

Feb 14 09 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Kayelless wrote:

sweet! im editing too smile

Feb 14 09 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

sweet! im editing too smile

I just got back from therapist visit. Finished my turkey baked potato, and now I'm gonna try and get one more image in before nap time.

Feb 14 09 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Kayelless wrote:

I just got back from therapist visit. Finished my turkey baked potato, and now I'm gonna try and get one more image in before nap time.

Hey Kevin, when you get back on, please check the thread you started for me.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=410646

Feb 14 09 02:33 pm Link

Retoucher

P A P A R A Z Z I

Chicago, Illinois, US

No joke here but when i saw the title i thought this was a joke hmm

Feb 14 09 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Willie Sheldon

Grimes, Iowa, US

http://www.photographictherapy.com/

Here is a website for those of us in the community that use photography to get feelings out, help those in need.

Feb 14 09 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Spark-Star Graphics wrote:
No joke here but when i saw the title i thought this was a joke hmm

Nope. Not a joke.  Just some artists trying to look out for one another. smile

Feb 14 09 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Willie Sheldon wrote:

Here is a website for those of us in the community that use photography to get feelings out, help those in need.

Thanks! smile
Bookmarked

Feb 14 09 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

BC photos

Los Angeles, California, US

Great thread

Feb 14 09 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Willie Sheldon wrote:

Thank you.

Feb 15 09 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Kayelless wrote:

That reminds me .... wink

Feb 15 09 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

I got reject notices from all the jobs i applied  for so i'm screwed again hmm

Feb 15 09 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I got reject notices from all the jobs i applied  for so i'm screwed again hmm

just means those weren't the doors that were opened.
even in the darkest of nights the earth is still turning which means a new day is still coming.  With each new day comes a new opportunity of life.

It is frustrating walking down a long hallway trying to find the right door, but one that is open will find you even as you find it.... but the greatest is that door is meant for you to open.

Feb 15 09 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Kayelless wrote:
just means those weren't the doors that were opened.
even in the darkest of nights the earth is still turning which means a new day is still coming.  With each new day comes a new opportunity of life.

It is frustrating walking down a long hallway trying to find the right door, but one that is open will find you even as you find it.... but the greatest is that door is meant for you to open.

ive got to have something before march 1st hmm i dont really have any choice i HAVE  to find something

and god i hope so. im ready to give up on doing photography as a career

Feb 15 09 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

ive got to have something before march 1st hmm i dont really have any choice i HAVE  to find something

trust me I understand what you are saying. I've been on the negative for over a year... feel like I'm trying to climb a mudslide (created by my own rain storm), but the first step is knowing I will make it no matter what.

Feb 15 09 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Kayelless wrote:

trust me I understand what you are saying. I've been on the negative for over a year... feel like I'm trying to climb a mudslide (created by my own rain storm), but the first step is knowing I will make it no matter what.

I'mtrying to stay positive and all that, but i'm not as worried about me as I am about two models I booked (and will be paying) at the end of March. I need to make sure that, no matter what, I have enough for them, but right now it's really hard. I just want to get back on my feet again and show that I really can make it on my own! I have to buy groceries, etc. A job doesn't seem to be panning out... i'm finally going to suck it up and go to the unemployment office on Tuesday, but that won't pay the rent-- or the groceries, or anything aside from that.

Feb 15 09 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'mtrying to stay positive and all that, but i'm not as worried about me as I am about two models I booked (and will be paying) at the end of March. I need to make sure that, no matter what, I have enough for them, but right now it's really hard. I just want to get back on my feet again and show that I really can make it on my own! I have to buy groceries, etc. A job doesn't seem to be panning out... i'm finally going to suck it up and go to the unemployment office on Tuesday, but that won't pay the rent-- or the groceries, or anything aside from that.

just don't give in to despair. *huggs*

Feb 15 09 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Kayelless wrote:

just don't give in to despair. *huggs*

*hugs* I just feel so hopeless and useless!

Feb 15 09 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I believe everyone has a purpose or reason for being in this world. Part of what got me through my darkest days was holding onto that belief in myself even though I couldn't feel it.  I just refuse to see myself as down, now.  I believe I will always get up.

I put you in my prayer a while back which means I only expect to see you rise despite all that stands before you.  I believe this to be true as simple as I'm typing these words.  Believe it and you will.

Feb 15 09 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

BC photos

Los Angeles, California, US

Ahh don't feel like that I had a really rough night myself last night this thread really helped. I know the feeling *hugs* from me too you'll be ok things will get better.

Feb 15 09 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Kayelless wrote:

I believe everyone has a purpose or reason for being in this world. Part of what got me through my darkest days was holding onto that belief in myself even though I couldn't feel it.  I just refuse to see myself as down, now.  I believe I will always get up.

I put you in my prayer a while back which means I only expect to see you rise despite all that stands before you.  I believe this to be true as simple as I'm typing these words.  Believe it and you will.

Thanks dude! *hug* I had a really great shoot today, so i'm trying to immerse myself in editing and working on her shots. Brand new model, isn't on MM yet but hopefully will be soon!

BC photos wrote:

Ahh don't feel like that I had a really rough night myself last night this thread really helped. I know the feeling *hugs* from me too you'll be ok things will get better.

Thank you! *hug*

Feb 15 09 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

and god i hope so. im ready to give up on doing photography as a career

Thanks dude! *hug* I had a really great shoot today, so i'm trying to immerse myself in editing and working on her shots. Brand new model, isn't on MM yet but hopefully will be soon!

Thank you! *hug*

hienvy Remember what we talked about. smile

Feb 15 09 06:34 pm Link