Forums > General Industry > Cheap models...

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:

Well, I cant call myself a real photographer because im in college so..........

yea, the same applies to you.

If I see a beautiful girl or a model who I KNOW will give me a great look, I want to make sure that look is executed. Telling a model an idea and her showing her not looking like what I had in mind, is a waste of time.

the basic premise behind TFP/TFCD is that the shoot will benefit both parties. You're sounding pretty selfish here. It's a waste of your time but not hers.

Oct 27 06 11:26 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

And if they get audited they will get that deduction taken away from them. I'm a tax accountant.

Jessalyin is write, I asked my CPA about wardrobe and he just laughed - not unless it is a Giant Chicken Oufit.  So, at least I got to write that off.  LOL

Oct 27 06 11:26 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Seth wrote:

Jessalyin is write, I asked my CPA about wardrobe and he just laughed - not unless it is a Giant Chicken Oufit.  So, at least I got to write that off.  LOL

Another BOO-YAH in the house please.

Oct 27 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

the basic premise behind TFP/TFCD is that the shoot will benefit both parties. You're sounding pretty selfish here. It's a waste of your time but not hers.

Most TFP's I have done, nearly ALL of the models ask me what kind of ideas do I have. They dont come to me with ideas, so it varies with each photographer.

Photographer

CREATIVE EYE MEDIA

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Mos Photography wrote:
I understand that some models are building their port, but please dont go off on me when I say I am not accpeting any TFP. Why do models want to use the best photographers on MM, but not pay for his/her talent?

I feel your pain. It is so unfortunate that people have to be so rude. Everyone has the right to their opinion and saying no.
I recently received an email from a well established photographer on how to get away from TFP/TFCD.

HIS RESPONSE:

The way to not do TFP is to NOT do TFP. I never do it. If you do, you just perpetuate it’s existence. I strongly encourage people to practice on family, friends, pets, etc. You can’t work for FREE and then shift gears and expect people to pay you for it. They won’t.

And when you do TFP, you are in essence saying that what you do has NO value. I can’t emphasize enough practicing on friends. Do you want to practice hard to learn your craft and not get paid? Do you want to start this NEVER-ENDING journey of spending money to keep current with digital technology and not get paid?? You are already combating a world where everyone thinks they are a photographer because they went to Best Buy and bought a point and shoot digital camera...

Pardon the analogy, but TFP is kinda like the hooker that enjoys sex, doesn’t charge for it, then wonders why she can’t pay the bills.

Make sense??

This totally makes sense. Some of us do this full time, and others are working hard to make this a full time career. If we keep giving our talents away for free, How is this ever going to happen?

PS: Models:

I have done some modeling myself, so I understand there are expenses involved on your side to.
Yet we all have to draw the line somewhere though if we are really serious about succeeding at this.

It is nothing personal, just business.

Rhonda

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Mos Photography wrote:
When I was accepting TFP, I had a stylist and makeup artist working for me. So I had to pay them out of my own money because I knew what kind of looks I wanted

uh, ..., now that you're no longer taking TFPs, like the rest of us who bill for our time & work, why not bill these things to your client?

business man, runs past the camera time; business, just business ...

F

Oct 27 06 11:29 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

Mos Photography wrote:
Most TFP's I have done, nearly ALL of the models ask me what kind of ideas do I have. They dont come to me with ideas, so it varies with each photographer.

right but it's to benefit all parties involved.

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

Well I'm in accounting so sometimes we have to argue with people when they say "but can't I just hide this little bit of money in some offshore account? Pleeaaassseee?"

er... i do that all the time... what is wrong with that?  lol
of course, i'm not hiding... i'm just making a deposit there... (jk IRS)

Model

Tia\Tee

West Hollywood, California, US

Mos Photography wrote:

lol..I love you. You just made the best post in this thread.

You will always encounter people who crave for somethin' & unfortunately they always assume you'll provide them those needs (and it's mainly ATTENTION).

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Seth wrote:

If you buy wardrobe specifically for a modeling job... you better believe you can write it off.  I've had several accountants that have confirmed that for years.

Oct 27 06 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

brownbulldawg wrote:

You will always encounter people who crave for somethin' & unfortunately they always assume you'll provide them those needs (and it's mainly ATTENTION).

Smokin port, brownbulldawg!!!

Oct 27 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Shawn Ray wrote:

If you buy wardrobe specifically for a modeling job... you better believe you can write it off.  I've had several accountants that have confirmed that for years.

And you can better believe that if the IRS can assume that you will add it to your wardrobe and use it later on that they will disallow it.

At one of my former accounting jobs a woman was running a painting business and put down the pants she bought for the business as a business deduction. Once they're covered in paint you wouldn't wear them for anything else right? Well when the IRS audited her return they disallowed it.

Oct 27 06 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CREATIVE EYE MEDIA wrote:

I feel your pain. It is so unfortunate that people have to be so rude. Everyone has the right to their opinion and saying no.
I recently received an email from a well established photographer on how to get away from TFP/TFCD.

HIS RESPONSE:

The way to not do TFP is to NOT do TFP. I never do it. If you do, you just perpetuate it’s existence. I strongly encourage people to practice on family, friends, pets, etc. You can’t work for FREE and then shift gears and expect people to pay you for it. They won’t.

And when you do TFP, you are in essence saying that what you do has NO value. I can’t emphasize enough practicing on friends. Do you want to practice hard to learn your craft and not get paid? Do you want to start this NEVER-ENDING journey of spending money to keep current with digital technology and not get paid?? You are already combating a world where everyone thinks they are a photographer because they went to Best Buy and bought a point and shoot digital camera...

Pardon the analogy, but TFP is kinda like the hooker that enjoys sex, doesn’t charge for it, then wonders why she can’t pay the bills.

Make sense??

This totally makes sense. Some of us do this full time, and others are working hard to make this a full time career. If we keep giving our talents away for free, How is this ever going to happen?

PS: Models:

I have done some modeling myself, so I understand there are expenses involved on your side to.
Yet we all have to draw the line somewhere though if we are really serious about succeeding at this.

It is nothing personal, just business.

Rhonda

This is such a great post. Especially the practing on family thing. 75% of the models in my port are family members. From my three sisters to my girlfriend. I do have some that I paid, and more that paid me.

Oct 27 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Listen Mos, the basic point behind this whole thread was that you didn't find it polite for the model to be rude to you. You're right about that: discussions just should never have even started. If you don't do TFP that's your choice and that's not her place to be angry because you won't do it.

Oct 27 06 11:34 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Shawn Ray wrote:

A stylist or photographer maybe, but if you are the model and you wear it again AFTER the shoot, still wardrobe? 

You can write-off anything you want.  Whether or not it sticks is a different story.

I am not an accountant so I'm no expert, but I was warned to be careful on this point.

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shawn Ray wrote:

Thank you. I was just at a confrence today and we were talking about this.

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

brownbulldawg wrote:

Maganda Ka

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

Los Angeles, California, US

It's just so hard to give up several hundred dollars in one day.  I think payments would be nice ;-) 

Most models are young and struggling to make money because they have new expenses.. responsibilities.. maybe they go to school.. maybe they have a new family.  That sort of stuff.

I understand if the model is really amatuer.. the photographer should request pay because what are THEY going to get out of a model who doesn't know what they're doing?  But, if the model is really good and experienced.. i see no problem w/a photographer shooting for free smile  Even if they're top notch.

Oct 27 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

And you can better believe that if the IRS can assume that you will add it to your wardrobe and use it later on that they will disallow it.

At one of my former accounting jobs a woman was running a painting business and put down the pants she bought for the business as a business deduction. Once they're covered in paint you wouldn't wear them for anything else right? Well when the IRS audited her return they disallowed it.

Disallowed... huh?  Dually noted.

Photographer

Einem Photography

Burbank, California, US

FML-Photography wrote:

uh,..., not sure where anyone went off on you about not accepting TFPs ...

(many of us don't, we just don't announce it so much)

... but don't we all wish for a good deal? more for our money's worth? e.g., hoping to work with better talent, be it models or photographers, when & how the opportunity might present itself? so much the better if it comes in form of an exchange?

F

I like what this guys says. It is a weird world out there. Take this for example. I had a contract that stated "prints" were a reimbursement cost. After the shoot,  which I did get my payment for my services, I touched up the photos got them printed on my account at the printers (which allows me to pass on my very good rates with no upcharge to my clients) I then send the prints and invoices over. I now have a letter stating they are only paying for the print cost, not the tax nor the delivery fee! They are stated it was not in the contract. It was a big order and that left about $140 not being reimbursed.

Model

Seth Mitchell

Shawn Ray wrote:

Did you want to borrow my chicken outfit?

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Shawn Ray wrote:

Mos Photography wrote:
Thank you. I was just at a confrence today and we were talking about this.

Shawn Ray is incorrect Mos (sorry Shawn). I already pointed that out.

Oct 27 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Shawn Ray wrote:

Disallowed... huh?  Dually noted.

yea the point is: sure! you can deduct it on your tax return! but that doesn't mean the IRS can't come back later and tell you that you were wrong smile

Oct 27 06 11:36 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Seth wrote:

A stylist or photographer maybe, but if you are the model and you wear it again AFTER the shoot, still wardrobe? 

You can write-off anything you want.  Whether or not it sticks is a different story.

I am not an accountant so I'm no expert, but I was warned to be careful on this point.

correct

Oct 27 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

yea the point is: sure! you can deduct it on your tax return! but that doesn't mean the IRS can't come back later and tell you that you were wrong smile

Damn!  I guess the american flag thong goes back.

Oct 27 06 11:39 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Shawn Ray wrote:

Damn!  I guess the american flag thong goes back.

lol

or you can put it in your personal collection.....or make a model wear it and sell it on ebay when she's famous

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

correct

I mean really. Are the IRS going to bust you at the nightclub with the same shirt you wrote off for a photoshoot. How could they possible know if you wore the clothes AFTER the shoot??

Model

Seth Mitchell

My dad tried the ultimate one - tried writing off an entire sailboat because he occasionally took clients out on it.  I think the IRS had to wait an hour so they could stop laughing before they called him.  LOL

Oct 27 06 11:40 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:

I mean really. Are the IRS going to bust you at the nightclub with the same shirt you wrote off for a photoshoot. How could they possible know if you wore the clothes AFTER the shoot??

it's assumed. you are not given the benefit of the doubt. Like I said it only matters if you get audited....so yes it matters. If you buy clothes it is assumed they are added to your collection. The burden of proof lies on you to prove to the IRS that you didn't add it to your personal collection.

Oct 27 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Shawn Ray wrote:

actually, IRS may claim that as the model's expense, and not deductable.

They key to go around that is have the photographer buy the outfit, charge it to the model as a 'sitting fee,' then the model can deduct that and still keep the clothes.  The photographer then can claim the outfit as well, as part of wardrobe expense.  (disclaimer: of course i would never do such a thing)

Oct 27 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Original concept photo

Saint Louis, Michigan, US

I post for tfp shoots, but mostly I get models wanting me to pay them for working with me. Like my time is not worth money.  I'm  also  in college debt, but I 'm  not being  rude to people or swearing at people about it.     Lets face it everyone wants to get paid and be in the spot light. Problem is very few will make it.  At this level everyone should try to help each other, but that is also a fauld thougt because everyone want a piece of a small pie.  I would not worried about it.  Just be nice and move on.  later....

Oct 27 06 11:42 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Famous commercial (can't remember what for):

IRS Agent:  "You have $50,000 in entertainment expenses?"

Man:  "Yes, I do."

IRS Agent:  "Do you have any receipts?"

Man  "No, I don't"

Oct 27 06 11:42 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Seth wrote:
My dad tried the ultimate one - tried writing off an entire sailboat because he occasionally took clients out on it.  I think the IRS had to wait an hour so they could stop laughing before they called him.  LOL

lol! another accountant told me the other day that this guy was trying to write off obscene amounts of mileage and so he asked the taxpayer if he could see the mileage on his car and the guy answered "umm....well...uh..." so the accountant told him to spit it out what was wrong...turns out the taxpayer had the car on a lease and had gone over the miles with all the driving he'd been doing for work and went over his limit...so he unhooked the odometer. lol

Oct 27 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Seth wrote:

you can't claim the entire boat, but you can claim the hourly rate if you were to rent one in order to take clients out for business stuff.

Photographer

Einem Photography

Burbank, California, US

Yes, everyone (models, mua, photographers, hair stylists, ect.) have to start somewhere to get work & build a portfolio. So some take the TFCD or TFP path and other build a port from getting jobs. I still do TFCD for models, mua, photographers, hair stylists, ect. only from time to time more for testing new team members. This in hand helps me, people trying to build ports, but in my contract for tfcd it states that these images are for marketing  / portfolio only and all credits should be given. It would not be right for someone to so something for free then find out there work was published and no credits or payments were given. Hmm that has happen to me and it just not right.

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Mos Photography wrote:
I understand that some models are building their port, but please dont go off on me when I say I am not accpeting any TFP. Why do models want to use the best photographers on MM, but not pay for his/her talent?

Actually, you should probably be more upset at photographers who know WTF they're doing and yet still offer TFP shoots.

Here's the dealio, from my POV: there's not a lot of money to be made at the low end of the curve. Sure, there will be beginners with parents who are willing to foot the bill for a professional shoot. But for the most part, no, there isn't a lot to be made on that part of the curve. These are usually college students, and unless they are strippers, they're probably not making a whole lot of money.

So how do you climb the curve? Why, by improving your port.

I'll use Jessie as an example. There is no doubt that, working together, we have significantly improved each other's portfolios. It's a symbiotic relationship, and we both get the same thing out of it. Would a paying client have jumped in a fountain in the middle of a severe thunderstorm, as Jessie did? Probably not, because the tornado sirens were going off and everybody else was heading for their basement.

But now that those photos are in my port, I get models asking to play in fountains and praying for rain when we shoot. And I seem to get a lot of respect on these forums because of those photos.

Is that a big deal? Maybe not, but it's how you build a reputation. I've worked with "pay only" models who asked to do TFP shoots with me. I've done nudes with "no nudes" models. For the most part, this is the result of six months' worth of TFCD shoots that I decided to try as a change of pace.

The only way to improve your port is to shoot, shoot, shoot.

Oct 27 06 11:45 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

good post Stephen smile

hey I'm off to wax my legs. I'll check in later. gotta shoot tomorrow.

Oct 27 06 11:46 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
[lol! another accountant told me the other day that this guy was trying to write off obscene amounts of mileage and so he asked the taxpayer if he could see the mileage on his car and the guy answered "umm....well...uh..." so the accountant told him to spit it out what was wrong...turns out the taxpayer had the car on a lease and had gone over the miles with all the driving he'd been doing for work and went over his limit...so he unhooked the odometer. lol

LOL..I think my Dad unhoooked his brain before he sent in that return with the boat on it. 

Nice guy, just wasn't fully engaging his grey matter at that point

Oct 27 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Mos Photography wrote:

if you've ever been audited you'll know that they don't have to prove you did what is obvious and reasonable. You have to prove you did not for the deduction to stick. The burden is on you to justify the expensing of any item (and prove that justification).

Oct 27 06 11:48 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

oldguysrule wrote:
if you've ever been audited you'll know that they don't have to prove you did what is obvious and reasonable. You have to prove you did not for the deduction to stick. The burden is on you to justify the expensing of any item (and prove that justification).

burden of proof is a BITCH!

EDIT: now I'm off smile

Oct 27 06 11:48 pm Link