Forums > General Industry > Cheap models...

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Mos Photography wrote:
Boy, people dont read. I have already stated that if I see a model that I WANT TO USE FOR MY PORTFOLIO and she is not accepting TFP. I have no problem paying her.

What if you saw a model that you wanted to use for your portfolio and she was not accepting TFP. Would you have a problem paying her?

Oct 27 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

calimari

Oct 27 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Mos Photography wrote:

Now I agree with you.

Wait...nobody ever agrees with me smile

Oct 27 06 11:07 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Shawn Ray wrote:
This is the only site of it's kind.  A site where a non-experienced model can put together a port that there Mom shot and want to charge for their services.

This is very true. and it goes both ways. Because a non-experienced photographer can put together a port they shot out of their ass and want to charge for their services.

Oct 27 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

And some people can't spell.

Might want to spell check your profile. Doesn't look very professional when you mispell words.

Oh so you did read my profile or you didnt??????????????????????????

Oct 27 06 11:08 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Shawn Ray wrote:
Did someone say CALAMARI????

Hey Shawn - Love your port - want to do a TFC shoot?  Trade for Calamari.

Oct 27 06 11:09 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:
Oh so you did read my profile or you didnt??????????????????????????

Right after I made the post about how I hadn't read your profile, I went and read it. Is there something so questionable as that to warrant 1,204 question marks?

Oct 27 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

See you just need be innovative
I have new ways to do TFP is just a Trade...

TFF- Time for food
TFR- Time for Rent
TFG- Time for groceries
TFEGCB- Time for Eletric Gas Cable bills
TFB- Time for Beer Also stands for Time for Booty
TFHC- Time for Hair cut
TFFMC- Time for fix my car
TFMWHE- Time for Massage with Happy end
TFFAW- Time far from Angry wife
TFBMWFNPDC -Time for Big mac with fries no Pickles and diet coke.

See all you have to do is take the normal TFP to the world out there.

Model

Kelly Abbass

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Models actually ask for TFP?

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

This is very true. and it goes both ways. Because a non-experienced photographer can put together a port they shot out of their ass and want to charge for their services.

VERY TRUE!!!  To be honest, there is no end to this thread.  We all want to make money, and we all want something for free.  It's those moments where we meet in the middle that something great can happen.   OMG that was cheesy!!!!  I don't think that even makes sense!!!!!  I am so full of SH*T!!!!

Oct 27 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

luciano  Mello wrote:
See you just need be innovative
I have new ways to do TFP is just a Trade...

TFF- Time for food
TFR- Time for Rent
TFG- Time for groceries
TFEGCB- Time for Eletric Gas Cable bills
TFB- Time for Beer Also stands for Time for Booty
TFHC- Time for Hair cut
TFFMC- Time for fix my car
TFMWHE- Time for Massage with Happy end
TFFAW- Time far from Angry wife
TFBMWFNPDC -Time for Big mac with fries no Pickles and diet coke.

See all you have to do is take the normal TFP to the world out there.

LOL, LOL , LOL!!!!!

Oct 27 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

lotusphoto wrote:

What if you saw a model that you wanted to use for your portfolio and she was not accepting TFP. Would you have a problem paying her?

Ok, that was funny. I wish this board had smillies...lol

Oct 27 06 11:12 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:
calimari

I stand corrected, thanks Lotus.

Oct 27 06 11:13 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:

Ok, that was funny. I wish this board had smillies...lol

I don't understand what was funny about that question....it's something that happens all the time and he's asking how you would act.

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Seth wrote:

Hey Shawn - Love your port - want to do a TFC shoot?  Trade for Calamari.

Spitting milk out of my nose!!!!!  LOL!  If I still lived in Cali... absolutely!   Great port as well!  Thanks.

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn, im guessing all of your shoots are TFP. Is that why you are so offended?

Oct 27 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Mos Photography wrote:
Jessalyn, im guessing all of your shoots are TFP. Is that why you are so offended?

OOOOOHHH!!!  In your face!!!   Just kidding.  Is anyone having as much fun as I am?

Oct 27 06 11:15 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:

Nope. I've done TFP, I've paid for photos, and I've been paid for photos.

EDIT: I just wanted to add a big ol' BOO-YAH.

Oct 27 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

I don't understand what was funny about that question....it's something that happens all the time and he's asking how you would act.

WOW...

I have said a million times I have NO PROBLEM PAYING A MODEL. I have done it before and would do it again with no problem. I believe he was joking when he asked me that. Thats why I laughed.

Oct 27 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Full Sun Photography

Dickson, Tennessee, US

I'll do TFP/CD shoots all day long..If it's helping me and helping her , I'll give them away freely...If a model comes to me and asks my fees , I'll feel at ease charging her...after all , my work , the model's help modeling , it all leads to being beneficial to both parties...HUUUURRRAY..

Oct 27 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

Jessalyn is hot when she is arguing...

opps thinking out loud again... get out of my head!! Arggg!

Oct 27 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

and some photographers don't realize that there are model expenses that go into TFP also (gotta get my roots done, get the nails done, possibly buy a brand new outfit).

just sayin. goes both ways.

but you would probably have your roots done anyways... cause who is walking around looking all frumpy calling themselves a model anyways! (i am totally kidding I know there are model expenses but most of those things you would have done regardless of the shoot- I, on the other hand, would not spend the money on film, chemical, paper etc just to make myself happy)

Oct 27 06 11:18 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

mcStudio wrote:
Jessalyn is hot when she is arguing...

opps thinking out loud again... get out of my head!! Arggg!

Because I'm damn good at it smile and my avatar makes me look really serious.

Oct 27 06 11:18 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

ERM Photography wrote:

but you would probably have your roots done anyways... cause who is walking around looking all frumpy calling themselves a model anyways! (i am totally kidding I know there are model expenses but most of those things you would have done regardless of the shoot- I, on the other hand, would not spend the money on film, chemical, paper etc just to make myself happy)

you're right but I would have waited longer to do them smile

My point was that both sides have expenses. Not just one. Everything goes both ways. The biggest expense is getting clothes. And those aren't tax deductible.

Oct 27 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ERM Photography wrote:

Thank you! Photographers come out of WAY more money than the models. When I was accepting TFP, I had a stylist and makeup artist working for me. So I had to pay them out of my own money because I knew what kind of looks I wanted. 9/10 a real model will have clothes to wear and her roots done. If not, he/she needs to invest in that before they give themselves the model title.

Oct 27 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

No... it makes you look like Kirsten Dunst.

Model

Tia\Tee

West Hollywood, California, US

Mos Photography wrote:
You all are not understanding what I am saying. If its an AGREEMENT between the two, then FINE! No problem there. But if the photographer......nevermind. No need to explain any longer.

I am not a photographer, but I definitely understand where you're coming from. Some models, or anybody in general just need to learn to respect someone's choice. If I politely asked you if you're willing to do a TFP with me & you respond; "Sorry, I no longer accept TFP...etc" I would totally understand & respond with "That's ok, I understand." or "What are your rates?" or better yet, say "If you need a model & start considering TFP shoots, please dont hesitate to contact me". No attitude necessary!!!

Well, I guess that's just me. I would say this though, I think the reason why some models respond with such attitude is because they hate getting turned down & it's a kick to their huge ego when someone says "no".

If you're really serious in this business, guess you better learn how to take the word "NO".

Hope I made sense...

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

see, he was saying that(calimari) no-one read that he said would (calimari) pay some one (calimari), and i (calimari) rephrased what he said in his statement (calimari) and asked him his own (calimari) question..

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
squid

Oct 27 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

you're right but I would have waited longer to do them smile

My point was that both sides have expenses. Not just one. Everything goes both ways. The biggest expense is getting clothes. And those aren't tax deductible.

i wonder if they are if you are a wardrobe stylist? but that is a whole different thread... here's hoping

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

ever think of going into law?  smile

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

brownbulldawg wrote:

I am not a photographer, but I definitely understand where you're coming from. Some models, or anybody in general just need to learn to respect someone's choice. If I politely asked you if you're willing to do a TFP with me & you respond; "Sorry, I no longer accept TFP...etc" I would totally understand & respond with "That's ok, I understand." or "What are your rates?" or better yet, say "If you need a model & start considering TFP shoots, please dont hesitate to contact me". No attitude necessary!!!

Well, I guess that's just me. I would say this though, I think the reason why some models respond with such attitude is because they hate getting turned down & it's a kick to their huge ego when someone says "no".

If you're really serious in this business, guess you better learn how to take the word "NO".

Hope I made sense...

lol..I love you. You just made the best post in this thread.

Oct 27 06 11:22 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:
Thank you! Photographers come out of WAY more money than the models. When I was accepting TFP, I had a stylist and makeup artist working for me. So I had to pay them out of my own money because I knew what kind of looks I wanted. 9/10 a real model will have clothes to wear and her roots done. If not, he/she needs to invest in that before they give themselves the model title.

so are you saying I shouldn't call myself a real model? I like how you used the example of roots and clothes...just like I did.

And when I do TFP I sure as hell don't usually get an MUA and a stylist! That's nearly unheard of. That's your own fault for offering so much free stuff. I go to most TFP shoots doing my own makeup and my own hair.

Oct 27 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ERM Photography wrote:

i wonder if they are if you are a wardrobe stylist? but that is a whole different thread... here's hoping

A model and a wardrobe stylits can write off clothes. I know both who do it.

Oct 27 06 11:23 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

ERM Photography wrote:

Wardrobe stylist could most likely deduct it if they can prove that they aren't adding it to their personal collection (like a model would). The stylist could deduct it as a business expense most likely. Models cannot.

Oct 27 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Urban Curves

Gastonia, North Carolina, US

Because They are BAM ....... Broke AS Models.... Im slowing down on my TFP /CD.

Oct 27 06 11:24 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:

A model and a wardrobe stylits can write off clothes. I know both who do it.

And if they get audited they will get that deduction taken away from them. I'm a tax accountant.

Oct 27 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Rob Meggett wrote:
Because They are BAM ....... Broke AS Models.... Im slowing down on my TFP /CD.

Wait.... is that cheek I see?

Oct 27 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
so are you saying I shouldn't call myself a real model? I like how you used the example of roots and clothes...just like I did.

And when I do TFP I sure as hell don't usually get an MUA and a stylist! That's nearly unheard of. That's your own fault for offering so much free stuff. I go to most TFP shoots doing my own makeup and my own hair.

Well, I cant call myself a real photographer because im in college so..........

yea, the same applies to you.

If I see a beautiful girl or a model who I KNOW will give me a great look, I want to make sure that look is executed. Telling a model an idea and her showing up not looking like what I had in mind, is a waste of time.

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

mcStudio wrote:

ever think of going into law?  smile

Well I'm in accounting so sometimes we have to argue with people when they say "but can't I just hide this little bit of money in some offshore account? Pleeaaassseee?"

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

We shoot limited TFPs by invitation only or if the model has a killer idea/concept.  We give preference to newer models who need images for their port; we generally will not shoot TFP with a model who lists 40 or so photographers she's already worked with.  So little time; must have priorities.  /tim

Oct 27 06 11:26 pm Link