Forums > General Industry > Cheap models...

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Mos Photography wrote:
lol. I would be mad if you asked. My only problem is when you respond back with an attitude. BTW..I like your port.

Paldies.

Oct 28 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

you can argue all you want with the IRS, doesn't mean you're right. Just because a tax accountant tells you "oh yea you can deduct that" doesn't mean they are right. It means they told someone else to do it before and they got away with it.

From the IRS web site

What Can I Deduct?
To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your trade or business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. An expense does not have to be indispensable to be considered necessary.

Oct 28 06 06:29 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

RGK Photography wrote:
Ok, as I said, you show me the ruling that says you can't, or the tax code which defines what is deductable.

I repeat you CANNOT deduct clothes. Just because I'm not a CPA doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

Taken from http://www.irs.gov/publications/p529/ar02.html#d0e2533

Work Clothes and Uniforms
You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if the following two requirements are met.

1. You must wear them as a condition of your employment

2. The clothes are not suitable for everyday wear.

It is not enough that you wear distinctive clothing. The clothing must be specifically required by your employer. Nor is it enough that you do not, in fact, wear your work clothes away from work. The clothing must not be suitable for taking the place of your regular clothing.

Examples of workers who may be able to deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes are: delivery workers, firefighters, health care workers, law enforcement officers, letter carriers, professional athletes, and transportation workers (air, rail, bus, etc.).

Musicians and entertainers can deduct the cost of theatrical clothing and accessories that are not suitable for everyday wear.

However, work clothing consisting of white cap, white shirt or white jacket, white bib overalls, and standard work shoes, which a painter is required by his union to wear on the job, is not distinctive in character or in the nature of a uniform. Similarly, the costs of buying and maintaining blue work clothes worn by a welder at the request of a foreman are not deductible.

Oct 28 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

I repeat you CANNOT deduct clothes. Just because I'm not a CPA doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

Taken from http://www.irs.gov/publications/p529/ar02.html#d0e2533

Work Clothes and Uniforms
You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if the following two requirements are met.

1. You must wear them as a condition of your employment

2. The clothes are not suitable for everyday wear.

It is not enough that you wear distinctive clothing. The clothing must be specifically required by your employer. Nor is it enough that you do not, in fact, wear your work clothes away from work. The clothing must not be suitable for taking the place of your regular clothing.

Examples of workers who may be able to deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes are: delivery workers, firefighters, health care workers, law enforcement officers, letter carriers, professional athletes, and transportation workers (air, rail, bus, etc.).

Musicians and entertainers can deduct the cost of theatrical clothing and accessories that are not suitable for everyday wear.

However, work clothing consisting of white cap, white shirt or white jacket, white bib overalls, and standard work shoes, which a painter is required by his union to wear on the job, is not distinctive in character or in the nature of a uniform. Similarly, the costs of buying and maintaining blue work clothes worn by a welder at the request of a foreman are not deductible.

so I can deduct model's costuming since it is a size 0-6 and I am a size 16?

Star

Oct 28 06 08:28 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Star wrote:

so I can deduct model's costuming since it is a size 0-6 and I am a size 16?

Star

if you bought it for a model and gave it to her I'm pretty sure you can deduct it. if you kept it I'm not so sure.

Oct 28 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Grafanovitchi

San Marcos, California, US

Nemi Bea wrote:
Because we don't have money.

You = Working Professional
Me =  20 year old kid, 40 thousand dollars in debt.

duh.

Why don't you chat about something else that has been beat into the fucking ground?

Wow, you kiss your momma with that mouth?

Oct 28 06 09:16 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

can you imagine if your mom or dad worked for free? you would've grew up under some bridge, in some card box-that someone threw over the bridge-and you would've had all your teeth fall out-because you couldn't afford toothpaste-before the age of 18.

Extreme, I know, close to reality, could've been. I finally got tired of people asking me to do stuff for free. I'm begining to speak up-finally-and tell them just what I think of working for free. I don't lower my prices anymore, if they can't afford it-oh well-get someone else. I mean, if Vogue or FLAUNT or NYLON or Dutch magazine asked me to do work for free, I would, only because I know millions of people would see my work, and that would lead to potential clients.

It's weird how people think your rude, just because you tell them NO. Well, I have one thing to say and it has 4 letters and ends with-THEM.

Willy Branlund

Mos Photography wrote:
I so agree with you man.

woa dude. that's not how it works. You don't go to another thread, click quote, copy and paste it into the thread you're workin' in. If anything, you state "This guy in this other thread made a good point I would like to quote."

Oct 28 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

Nemi Bea wrote:
Because we don't have money.

You = Working Professional
Me =  20 year old kid, 40 thousand dollars in debt.

duh.

Why don't you chat about something else that has been beat into the fucking ground?

hunnie, i'm a 21 year old photographer and college student in debt because of my photo equipment and cost of education, not because i'm just trying to be pretty, so now, back offf

Oct 28 06 09:29 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
woa dude. that's not how it works. You don't go to another thread, click quote, copy and paste it into the thread you're workin' in. If anything, you state "This guy in this other thread made a good point I would like to quote."

Yeah, basically.

Oct 28 06 10:02 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

And is this thread really about cheap models, or one model who didn't want to pay this guy and so she went off?  She shouldn't have, of course, but does it make me cheap because I look for TFP first?  Well I look for paid first, just not off this site.  Or does it make me "thrifty"?

Oct 28 06 10:04 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
And is this thread really about cheap models, or one model who didn't want to pay this guy and so she went off?  She shouldn't have, of course, but does it make me cheap because I look for TFP first?  Well I look for paid first, just not off this site.  Or does it make me "thrifty"?

we're thrifty honey big_smile

and I totally bought some shoes yesterday for $4.50 brand new, 70% off, from Fashion Bug and used them in a photoshoot today. that is ALSO being thrifty.

Oct 28 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

Mos Photography wrote:
Why do models want to use the best photographers on MM, but not pay for his/her talent?

Gee, it must be lonely at the top.

Oct 28 06 10:12 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Well I'm sure this has probably been said before, but I'm like 10 posts away from a shirt, so I'm going to say it anyway. Just as you feel you deserve to be paid, many models deserve to be paid, or to do TFP. Just as you won't accept TFP, some models won't pay. It's simple. If you're a good model, you shouldn't have to pay anyone. If you're a good photographer, you shouldn't have to pay anyone. You pretty much answered your own question in the original post...lol

Oct 28 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
Well I'm sure this has probably been said before, but I'm like 10 posts away from a shirt, so I'm going to say it anyway. Just as you feel you deserve to be paid, many models deserve to be paid, or to do TFP. Just as you won't accept TFP, some models won't pay. It's simple. If you're a good model, you shouldn't have to pay anyone. If you're a good photographer, you shouldn't have to pay anyone. You pretty much answered your own question in the original post...lol

keep on keepin on, you're close to that shirt!

Oct 28 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

and I totally bought some shoes yesterday for $4.50 brand new, 70% off, from Fashion Bug and used them in a photoshoot today. that is ALSO being thrifty.

temporary thread hijack:

Hey Jessie, get off the forums and check your email!

Oct 28 06 10:21 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Jim Ball wrote:

temporary thread hijack:

Hey Jessie, get off the forums and check your email!

hey I did! check YOUR email! big_smile

Oct 28 06 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

KXphotography

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

hey i read like the 5th email, and stop reading, oh well hopfully someone reads mine. all i know is that, some people are just plane rude! If you don't like someone's style just 'no thankyou' not 'no no no, rub in your face no!' people just pist me off!

Oct 28 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

hey I did! check YOUR email! big_smile

My damn mail server is slow--nothing from you yet. sad

Oct 28 06 10:26 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

Juuuuuust making sure.  I was in Payless yesterday, and they are doing that BOGO thing and I almost got tricked into shopping, but I am unemployed so I couldn't.  Boo!!

Oct 28 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Mos Photography wrote:
I understand that some models are building their port, but please dont go off on me when I say I am not accpeting any TFP. Why do models want to use the best photographers on MM, but not pay for his/her talent?

Mos Photography wrote:
Im only here for advice. Nothing more nothing less. I dont depend on this site for getting money.

Oct 29 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kevin Connery wrote:

If you would stop stalking me from post to post, you would understand what I said.

I do not DEPEND on this site for money. Meaning my bills will be paid rather or not I get paying models from here. I get PLENTY of paying gigs off of the board. PLENTY.

Oct 29 06 04:10 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:
If you would stop stalking me from post to post like the sick fuck that you are, you would understand what I said.

I do not DEPEND on this site for money. Meaning my bills will still be paid rather or not if I get paying models from here. I get PLENTY of paying gigs off of the board. PLENTY.

read the rules of the forums. no flaming or name calling. watch it.

Oct 29 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

read the rules of the forums. no flaming or name calling. watch it.

I apologize to the forum. Jessalyn, shut up.

Oct 29 06 04:15 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:

lol

you kiss your mamma with that mouth?

Oct 29 06 04:17 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Mos Photography wrote:

Are you fucking serious?!  Gotta love these ***************** damn this isn't the pit.  Bye.

Oct 29 06 04:17 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

Are you fucking serious?!  Gotta love these ***************** damn this isn't the pit.  Bye.

it will be in the Pit soon if Mos keeps trash talking people

Oct 29 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

lol

you kiss your mamma with that mouth?

Sometimes I do. And Mellissa, I think Jessalyn could use a 5 minute break from you swinging on her balls.

You all have a nice day.

Oct 29 06 04:19 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:

Sometimes I do. And Mellissa, I think Jessalyn could use a 5 minute break from you swinging on her balls.

You all have a nice day.

you're just jealous that people are agreeing with me and that I have friends. you're also jealous that I was right about the tax thing big_smile not that you were saying I was wrong.  I'm just waiting for RGK to admit I was right.

Oct 29 06 04:20 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

to Mos: I hope you know that if we're pissing you off you can always have this thread locked. Just contact-a-mod.

Oct 29 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn, im not pissed off. You are just very immature. Thats all.

Oct 29 06 04:22 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:
Jessalyn, im not pissed off. You are just very immature. Thats all.

Please, enlighten me on how I'm immature. I'm sure that others will disagree with your statement. My posts are very educated and to the point. Being funny does not equate to immaturity. When someone is being immature, they resort to name calling. *cough*

Oct 29 06 04:24 pm Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

I found enough great photographers that do TFP so I didn't worry about not working with one because he wanted me to pay. It didn't feel like that big a loss. Now I'm getting more and more paid offers so I know I never have to pay! But I'm not rude or offensive when they tell me I need to pay, I just tell him/her that I can't afford it, which is true.

Oct 29 06 04:24 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Mos Photography wrote:

You all have a nice day.

Sweetheart, learn how to spell.  My name only has one "l" in it, thanks.
And as long as Jess doesn't mind me swinging on her balls, then we're all good.  I don't see what reason you have to get all hostile.  Remember, we both agreed with your original point, and I was considering paying you for a shoot when I came to Atlanta for the holidays, because you do have a wonderful portfolio, but apparently that was easily forgotten when you got into some dick swinging contest with Kevin and decided to take it out on Jess.  Ugh, why isn't this in the Pit dammit!

Oct 29 06 04:31 pm Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

Whoa, so it's what...midday there in the states give or take a timezone? And you come home from work, or are still at work, to get on the computer and argue? I think everyone here needs to blow off their tension and stress at the gym or something. It's past midnight here and I've said all I will, I'm not gonna argue my point since I've made it already.

Oct 29 06 04:36 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

KelseyAnn wrote:
Whoa, so it's what...midday there in the states give or take a timezone? And you come home from work, or are still at work, to get on the computer and argue? I think everyone here needs to blow off their tension and stress at the gym or something. It's past midnight here and I've said all I will, I'm not gonna argue my point since I've made it already.

It's Sunday.  Who's at work?

Oct 29 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

haha, Oh I'm in Israel! It's all different here! Good point... Today's the first day of the work week here.  tongue

Oct 29 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

KelseyAnn wrote:
haha, Oh I'm in Israel! It's all different here! Good point... Today's the first day of the work week here.  tongue

Smoochies!  Yeah, in the US we like to laze around on Sundays.  Ooh, and it's Halloween weekend, who's gonna dress slutty and go get candy?

Oct 29 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

KelseyAnn wrote:

I totally agree. Im not going to argue with Kellyanne or Melissa. Flavor of Love is about to come on....lol

Oct 29 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

But it's still God's day! Let's all be nice, eh? Yeah, I said I would stop talking... I kinda just wanted to see if anyone would get mad at me or not.  *blushes*

Oct 29 06 04:45 pm Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

I fly back to Greece on Tues, I get in pretty late. No Halloween for me  :*(

Oct 29 06 04:47 pm Link