Forums > General Industry > Cheap models...

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I understand that some models are building their port, but please dont go off on me when I say I am not accpeting any TFP. Why do models want to use the best photographers on MM, but not pay for his/her talent?

Oct 27 06 10:15 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Because we don't have money.

You = Working Professional
Me =  20 year old kid, 40 thousand dollars in debt.

duh.

Why don't you chat about something else that has been beat into the fucking ground?

Oct 27 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Nemi Bea wrote:

duh.

Why don't you chat about something else that has been beat into the fucking ground?

Wow. So offensive.

If you are 40k in debt you need to find amatuer photographers who are looking for the same thing. I recieved an email today that was rude, simply because I said I no longer do TFP.

Anyway, have a nice day.

Oct 27 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

if you are 40k in debt you should probably not spend so much time posting on MM and look for a higher paying job... no need to be mean

To answer your question- I think a lot of people just look at the portfolios and don't really bother to read the details. Others just hope that they are the look you have been waiting for and that you will make an exception to work with them... plus every now and again a model catches a photographer on the right day and miracles happen, haha... sorry about all the rude models

EM

Oct 27 06 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Mos Photography wrote:
please dont go off on me when I say I am not accpeting any TFP. Why do models want to use the best photographers on MM, but not pay for his/her talent?

uh,..., not sure where anyone went off on you about not accepting TFPs ...

(many of us don't, we just don't announce it so much)

... but don't we all wish for a good deal? more for our money's worth? e.g., hoping to work with better talent, be it models or photographers, when & how the opportunity might present itself? so much the better if it comes in form of an exchange?

F

Oct 27 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

David Diptych

Dunellen, New Jersey, US

It only makes sense to want that and atleast ask for it. Photographers (well, I atleast) want to work with the best damn models for free, but that doesn't mean it happens. The two forces play against each other in the neat little system of the model-photographer market.

Oct 27 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Im not saying anything is wrong witha sking. My problem is when I tell you I am no long accepting and you write me back saying "oh, well, I never pay for pictures. You should be willing to shoot me for free".

If a model ask me if I do TFP and I say no, most will respond back with either, "sorry to hear that or "well, what are your rates?" I was just wondering why the attitude.

I understand that some models dont have money. Up until earlier this year I WAS doing TFP. Im not saying I will never do it again. Just not now.

Oct 27 06 10:34 pm Link

Model

OUT OF HERE

Cleveland, Alabama, US

Same reason why some photographers want to shoot on a TFP basis so the model "could build her/his portfolio" without paying for. Im pretty sure you did it!!

Oct 27 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

You all are not understanding what I am saying. If its an AGREEMENT between the two, then FINE! No problem there. But if the photographer......nevermind. No need to explain any longer.

Oct 27 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

I feel your pain.  However, take it as a compliment that they would love to shoot with you.  You do have great stuff in your port.  If I was a starving model with no money, hey, what harm is done for asking.  Maybe you would say yes.  That being said... modeling is a business like any other business.  If you want to become successful, somewhere down the road, you will need to make an investment... period!  There is no way around it.  All the successful models that I work with have paid for their pics.... several times over.  And because of that, they are working.  You obviously have to have what it takes, but that is the cold, hard facts.  Anyone who doesn't agree is probably not a workign model, or doesn't understand the business.

Oct 27 06 10:39 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Nemi Bea wrote:

duh.

true that homey.

Oct 27 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Palm Springs, California, US

It could be because you have in your profile: "I am a 21 year old college student aspiring to be one of the greatest photographers to ever touch a camera!" then want people to pay you.

Unfortunately, saying that you're a student and that you're "aspiring" doesn't exactly motivate people to open their wallets. If you believe that you're ready to go 'pro', then go 'pro', and commence charging.

Oct 27 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I am pretty sure no one actually reads the thread... which is a shame when it is only about 10 posts. I understand what you are saying MOS, I had a model get mad at me for not wanting to shoot her TFP- she didn't realize that there actually are expenses in TFP (film, makeup, time etc) and that its actually not just free pictures for everyone involved.

Sorry- more people wrote in while I was typing...

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Mos Photography wrote:
My problem is when I tell you I am no long accepting and you write me back saying "oh, well, I never pay for pictures. You should be willing to shoot me for free"

Fine. You'll hear this from time to time. Try perhaps to find something flattering in that you were asked, then move on. Thank the person for his/her interest in your work & move on. No need for further announcements, right? I mean, it is on your profile, so why not let it be?

Just a couple thoughts,
F

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

ERM Photography wrote:
I am pretty sure no one actually reads the thread... which is a shame when it is only about 10 posts. I understand what you are saying MOS, I had a model get mad at me for not wanting to shoot her TFP- she didn't realize that there actually are expenses in TFP (film, makeup, time etc) and that its actually not just free pictures for everyone involved.

and some photographers don't realize that there are model expenses that go into TFP also (gotta get my roots done, get the nails done, possibly buy a brand new outfit).

just sayin. goes both ways.

Oct 27 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shawn Ray wrote:
I feel your pain.  However, take it as a compliment that they would love to shoot with you.  You do have great stuff in your port.  If I was a starving model with no money, hey, what harm is done for asking.  Maybe you would say yes.  That being said... modeling is a business like any other business.  If you want to become successful, somewhere down the road, you will need to make an investment... period!  There is no way around it.  All the successful models that I work with have paid for their pics.... several times over.  And because of that, they are working.  You obviously have to have what it takes, but that is the cold, hard facts.  Anyone who doesn't agree is probably not a workign model, or doesn't understand the business.

This is so true. Most models I shoot have no problem paying, and they steadily have work. If you ask me, no problem. I have nothing against that. I just dont like the models who are totally against ever paying for a shoot. I know if I came across a great model and I knew I wanted to you her BAD, because she would bring something great to my port, I would have no problem paying her. You get what you pay for.

Oct 27 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Gallery Row Studio

Lakewood, Ohio, US

That was just one model. And that's the end of it:)
Some people have too much attitude, and this thread is all about one of them. But more specifically, about you being upset and wanting to went:)

Oct 27 06 10:43 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Olesja Mueller wrote:
That was just one model. And that's the end of it:)
Some people have too much attitude, and this thread is all about one of them. But more specifically, about you being upset and wanting to went:)

well said

Oct 27 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Side Effects Studio wrote:
It could be because you have in your profile: "I am a 21 year old college student aspiring to be one of the greatest photographers to ever touch a camera!" then want people to pay you.

Unfortunately, saying that you're a student and that you're "aspiring" doesn't exactly motivate people to open their wallets. If you believe that you're ready to go 'pro', then go 'pro', and commence charging.

I dont care if it said I was a 10 year old dog looking for my next meal, a portfolio speaks for itself. I think my images are decent, and as a photographer, I have the right to accept TFP's or the right not to. Me stating my age and the fact that I am a college student is to show that I do have room to grow EVEN MORE.

Oct 27 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Mos Photography wrote:

I dont care if it said I was a 10 year old dog looking for my next meal, a portfolio speaks for itself. I think my images are decent, and as a photographer, I have the right to accept TFP's or the right not to. Me stating my age and the fact that I am a college student is to show that I do have room to grow.

Whew!!!  I'm exhausted!  Well said, though.  Keep on trucking, Bro.  As long as you have room to grow, you will.  Cheesy, huh?

Oct 27 06 10:48 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:
I dont care if it said I was a 10 year old dog looking for my next meal, a portfolio speaks for itself. I think my images are decent, and as a photographer, I have the right to accept TFP's or the right not to. Me stating my age and the fact that I am a college student is to show that I do have room to grow.

you aren't making a good argument for yourself...it's going downhill....sorry. If you  have room to grow then why did you make the below comment?

Mos Photography wrote:
Why do models want to use the best photographers on MM, but not pay for his/her talent?

Oct 27 06 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

yeah... we should just kill TFP all together.  smile

say no to TFP!  say no to TFP!

Oct 27 06 10:49 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Anyone want to talk about calamari?  I made it tongiht.  Very proud of myself - hard make good calamari.

Oct 27 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Mos Photography wrote:

At no point did I say you didn't have the right to do whatever you wished, I simply pointed out what someone might extrapolate in context. It's part of self-marketing.

Oct 27 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

mcStudio wrote:
yeah... we should just kill TFP all together.  smile

say no to TFP!  say no to TFP!

Amen!

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Seth wrote:
Anyone want to talk about calamari?  I made it tongiht.  Very proud of myself - hard make good calamari.

well done indeed.

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

you aren't making a good argument for yourself...it's going downhill....sorry. If you  have room to grow then why did you make the below comment?

Because like stated before, this not only happened to me but also other photographers. If you are the best at something or ONE of the best (in your opinion), then it is STILL possible to get better. Common sense. Kobe Bryant is probably one of the best ball players in the NBA, but that doesnt mean he cant increase his game.

Oct 27 06 10:53 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

well done indeed.

Thanks smile  Didn't mean to hijack the thread and didn't really want to start a calamari thread, but I am proud of myself.  It's really easy to overcook it and it came out perfect smile

Oct 27 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Mos Photography wrote:

Yes the images should speak for themselves but part of being a successful anything is marketing yourself properly and how others perceive you. Many, many photographers take fantastic images but who are the ones that are hugely successful? The ones that know how to market those amazing photos.

I know the thread got off track from your original post (or what I got from it). You don't want to be insulted when you explain to a model that you're not interested in tfp. That's the right of both model and photographer...to professionally say no when not interested without burning bridges.

Oct 27 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Yes the images should speak for themselves but part of being a successful anything is marketing yourself properly and how others perceive you. Many, many photographers take fantastic images but who are the ones that are hugely successful? The ones that know how to market those amazing photos.

I know the thread got off track from your original post (or what I got from it). You don't want to be insulted when you explain to a model that you're not interested in tfp. That's the right of both model and photographer...to professionally say no when not interested without burning bridges.

Now I agree with you.

Oct 27 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Did someone say CALAMARI????

Oct 27 06 10:56 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:

Because like stated before, this not only happened to me but also other photographers. If you are the best at something or ONE of the best (in your opinion), then it is STILL possible to get better. Common sense. Kobe Bryant is probably one of the best ball players in the NBA, but that doesnt mean he cant increase his game.

well it still goes the other way. if a model thinks she one the best or even is one of the best, shouldn't you be paying her? so you may think you're worthy of being paid but that model thinks the exact same thing.

Oct 27 06 10:57 pm Link

Model

Elizabeth Tuzzio

Bellevue, Nebraska, US

Side Effects Studio wrote:

He has a very good point.  I wouldn't expect to pay someone who wasn't a working professional...

It'd be like paying someone to practice taking pictures of me.  And that is a bit off-putting compared to an exchange of experience on both sides.

But at the same time attitude is never needed.  That's undeserved and just crap.  Especially if it already says in your information that you don't do TFP.  She has no room to cop an attitude.  I'm sorry for you on that count and I know how that can be.

Oct 27 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Mos Photography wrote:
I understand that some models are building their port, but please dont go off on me when I say I am not accpeting any TFP. Why do models want to use the best photographers on MM, but not pay for his/her talent?

There are more things in life than just money.  Sometimes you do things to help others, for your enjoyment, for your passion.  The feelings of reward for helping someone out far greater than mere money. 

You are 21 and still in college.  Money will come once you finish your degree.

Oct 27 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

well it still goes the other way. if a model thinks she one the best or even is one of the best, shouldn't you be paying her? so you may think you're worthy of being paid but that model thinks the exact same thing.

Boy, people dont read. I have already stated that if I see a model that I WANT TO USE FOR MY PORTFOLIO and she is not accepting TFP. I have no problem paying her.

Oct 27 06 11:00 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:

Boy, people dont read. I have already stated that if I see a model that I WANT TO USE FOR MY PORTFOLIO and she is not accepting TFP. I have no problem paying her.

I'm showing you the opposing view to your argument. I haven't even looked at your port. I'm saying that you stated:

Mos Photography wrote:
Why do models want to use the best photographers on MM, but not pay for his/her talent?

Mos Photography wrote:
I dont care if it said I was a 10 year old dog looking for my next meal, a portfolio speaks for itself. I think my images are decent, and as a photographer, I have the right to accept TFP's or the right not to. Me stating my age and the fact that I am a college student is to show that I do have room to grow EVEN MORE.

The point is, that you have talent and they have talent. You want to be paid, they want to be paid.

I understand your original anger: models don't need to be rude about it. I agree. What I was opposing is your statement that all models should pay for what's in their ports.....pay you.

Oct 27 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Chan Studio wrote:

There are more things in life than just money.  Sometimes you do things to help others, for your enjoyment, for your passion.  The feelings of reward for helping someone out far greater than mere money. 

You are 21 and still in college.  Money will come once you finish your degree.

Its not that im money hungry or anything. Im fine in that situation. Its just the fact that some models refuse to pay, but will get pissed at you when you say you are no longer taking TFP. If a model can read and digest the fact that I am 21 and in college, then he/she should also be able to read and digest that Im no longer taking TFP. Both are on my page. How can you see one but not the other?

Oct 27 06 11:04 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Mos Photography wrote:
Boy, people dont read.

And some people can't spell.

Might want to spell check your profile. Doesn't look very professional when you mispell words.

Oct 27 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

This is simply not true.  You may find some photographers that will pay a model on this site, but when we're talking about the professional realm, it's a different ball game.  This is the only site of it's kind.  A site where a non-experienced model can put together a port that there Mom shot and want to charge for their services.  This is not aimed at you, just "models" that I've encountered here.  If the photographer is advertising TFP's, then fine.  But to go to a "Professional" photographer, when you are an amature model, and INSIST on free pics.  Well.... you get the picture.

Oct 27 06 11:05 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Shawn Ray wrote:
Did someone say CALAMARI????

Yes, Yes I did smile

Oct 27 06 11:06 pm Link