Forums > General Industry > Lower Back Tattoos

Model

Nadya111

Orlando, Florida, US

Hey Looknsee Photography your bio says it all Amateur!!!

Sep 27 06 11:19 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:
Although I agree with the above i woud have to say , there is a little more to that ....

Some artist do go deeper than others , every artist adjust their needle bars themselves.

Some artists forget to spray before they wipe or use a dry towel to clean up splatter , this creates a more raw and sensitive surface over the course of a tattoo...

Other artist have what we call in the industry a heavy hand....

but a persons pain threshold and their capacity to relax is key Some hyperventilate or become anxious and nervous , some people actually hold their breath for some people hearing the noise of the machine makes them tighten up  not unlike a dentist drill...  or flex their muscles while getting tattooed...( umm breathe !!!!)  the point is to sit back and enjoy the ride.... breathe deep like in yoga and defocus... I swear if you are sitting there looking and watching gritting your teeth and say ohh shit ow uh... it will psychosomatically hurt more...

I put on a walkman( ipod these days )and listen to some really bass heavy beautiful music or classical... and sometimes  I fall asleep or read.

well said CareLyn!

I have a black widow tattooed on my back right shoulder right over the bone and that didn't hurt at all, my stars on my shoulders didn't hurt either. The piece on my torso now THAT hurt. The worst parts were over bone: hip bone, pelvic bone, and the tip of sternum/ribcage (that one actually hurt the most). It just all depends on the sensitivity of the skin, if it's bone vs muscle, the "heavy handedness" of the artist, etc. And yes flexing your muscles will generally make it hurt more because you are bringing the muscles closer to the skin and fatiguing them through the strain.

I reduce the pain by focusing my breathing that I've learned through yoga. It helped SO much. On my last session there was a huge gaggle of people in the shop and they were talking and yelling too much and so I couldn't concentrate my breathing like I had been doing and let me tell you, that last one was THE most painful of any of my sessions because of that.

Sep 27 06 11:26 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I finally have a pic with my lower back tattoo in it.  Yes, that was shameless comment whoring. smile

Sep 27 06 11:27 am Link

Model

Nadya111

Orlando, Florida, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Those of us who won't photograph tattoos have no problems finding suitable models.

You probably won't be aware of the impact of your tattoos on your modeling career, because people won't contact you to inform you that you are unsuitable for their projects.

No wonder your friends are limited...Who the hell wants to work with a pesimist!

Sep 27 06 11:27 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Those of us who won't photograph tattoos have no problems finding suitable models.

You probably won't be aware of the impact of your tattoos on your modeling career, because people won't contact you to inform you that you are unsuitable for their projects.

as the others said......the uninformed tattoo hater has arrived!

Sep 27 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

RayAndrews wrote:
Ahhh, yes the thread on the dreaded "tramp stamp" ...well that's what it's called in certain circles...interesting...I can take or leave them photo-wise...guess just beating into submission about the body art on that part of the body.

In Germany they're called Arschgeweih (ass antlers) ;-)

Sep 27 06 11:28 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

SLE Photography wrote:

FWIW, I know a lot of women with a LOT of body mods & they pretty much universally agree that (with the exception of a few of the REALLY odd ones) nipple piercings are about the most painful thing you can have done  smile

my nipples were definitely not as painful as my tattoo, but yes: of the 17 piercings I have it was the most painful

Sep 27 06 11:29 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

jennifer lockstedt wrote:
2. any where that you get a tattoo hurts...even if your drunk off your ass.....

Envy wrote:
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but you have been falsely "school-ed" . No one should ever drink alcohol or take Advil for that matter before or during a tattoo. It will thin your blood, causing you to bleed more which can make your tattoo look like shit when it's healed.

honey if you think for one second that a tattoo aryist is gonna turn down money just because your drunk or on drugs.....your crazy.................j

I don't know what type of tattoo artists you are going to , but it appears it would be ones that accept a six pack of Budweiser as payment and not a Visa. An artist can have their license revoked for tattooing anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Not to mention is just plain fucking stupid. Anyone that is willing to tattoo someone  while they are intoxicated won't see a penny from me. If they are willing to tattoo drunks I can only imagine the other things they overlook too. Such as properly autoclaved or fresh needles.

I am just dying to see the top notch tattoo work you have done.
*oozing sarcasm*

Try educating yourself before you make yourself look like a complete jackass.
http://www.bmezine.com/

Sep 27 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

MA Photography

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Maxwell Digital Art wrote:
everything men do is to impress women. 

we'd still be living in caves

Sooooooo true :-)

Sep 27 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Ivy Bressler wrote:

Well, I was in this underground fighting ring, and no one could seem to get in a decent kidney punch, so I had to give them something to aim for.

The first rule in Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club. smile

Sep 27 06 11:35 am Link

Model

Nadya111

Orlando, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

Like a Black Cloud...!

Sep 27 06 11:35 am Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Bettcha can't find the tat in my portfolio.

Sep 27 06 11:36 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

Ha!
And Jess, your comment about breathing through a tattoo was interesting.  Maybe cuz I don't do yoga when I tried to breath it threw me off even more, but when I just let myself be distracted by my friends I didn't feel anything.

Sep 27 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Ira Meyer

Oxnard, California, US

Nadya305 wrote:
No wonder your friends are limited...Who the hell wants to work with a pesimist!

That's not pessimism...
It's realism!

Sep 27 06 11:37 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Ira Meyer wrote:

That's not pessimism...
It's realism!

It's not realism to those of us who aren't interested in runway or Looknsee's version of pure nude modeling.  I used to feel like I was going to have to spend a bunch of time covering the tattoos I got before I got serious about modeling because one photographer was so disparaging about it, but then I worked with a lady who was so excited about my tattoos (which aren't even that artistic, just meaningful) that she actually paid me to let her photograph them and use them for her own personal use and I was only there for headshots.  Since then, I've had photographers who didn't know I had them until I showed up say "whatever, I'll photoshop them out, no big deal".  I'm well aware that I won't be considered for every job because of them, but I don't give a shit.  I'm short and "thick" so runway and fashion are out for me anyway, and I'm not interested in fine art nude with a rude photographer from Oregon.

Sep 27 06 11:41 am Link

Model

Nadya111

Orlando, Florida, US

Ira Meyer wrote:

That's not pessimism...
It's realism!

Real to...???... Shouldnt you be photographing frogs and trees

Sep 27 06 11:44 am Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
and I'm not interested in fine art nude with a rude photographer from Oregon.

I love your attitude, that made my day!!! Perfect way to phrase it.

Sep 27 06 11:45 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

Ha!
And Jess, your comment about breathing through a tattoo was interesting.  Maybe cuz I don't do yoga when I tried to breath it threw me off even more, but when I just let myself be distracted by my friends I didn't feel anything.

I basically learned through yoga about what muscles I was controlling and I am more aware of my body and what it's doing. I was able to focus all of my energy on my diaphragm and so my breathing reduced the pain. Because for me (may not be true for everyone) if I'm being tattooed and I don't focus that energy to one place then I will start to tense (contract) all of my muscles up. Well I don't have a lot of body strength so after about 30 minutes of contracting every muscle in your body, your muscles become fatigued and start to shake (happens if you run for a long time and then your muscles feel like jelly and "shake"). this causes pain because you aren't holding perfectly still and because your muscles have been brought closer to the skin. so by relaxing every muscle in my body (another thing I learned in yoga) and focusing instead on tensing my diaphragm, I reduced the pain that I felt.

that all made me sound like getting tattooed is this huge spiritual event for me or something! lol! I have just explained it so many times to friends that I guess I add on new stuff everytime smile

Sep 27 06 11:48 am Link

Model

Nadya111

Orlando, Florida, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
It's not realism to those of us who aren't interested in runway or Looknsee's version of pure nude modeling.  I used to feel like I was going to have to spend a bunch of time covering the tattoos I got before I got serious about modeling because one photographer was so disparaging about it, but then I worked with a lady who was so excited about my tattoos (which aren't even that artistic, just meaningful) that she actually paid me to let her photograph them and use them for her own personal use and I was only there for headshots.  Since then, I've had photographers who didn't know I had them until I showed up say "whatever, I'll photoshop them out, no big deal".  I'm well aware that I won't be considered for every job because of them, but I don't give a shit.  I'm short and "thick" so runway and fashion are out for me anyway, and I'm not interested in fine art nude with a rude photographer from Oregon.

Well said!

Sep 27 06 11:50 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Ivy Bressler wrote:

I love your attitude, that made my day!!! Perfect way to phrase it.

Thank you.  Every time someone brings up tattoos he shows up to tell us all that he refuses to work with us because we've sullied our beautiful bodies and he wouldn't deign to lower himself to our level.  Who the fuck cares?  If the thread is about why models have lower back tattoos then perhaps models with lower back tattoos are the ones who know what they're talking about.  Just a thought.

Sep 27 06 11:51 am Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Does anyone know how nerve cells work?

The nerve receptors for pain and pleasure are so closely related (litterally side by side on the nerve endings) that it is VERY possible to not only not feel pain, but its equally as possible to enjoy getting a tatoo. I'm extremely ticklish and giggled though my entire tatoo, about and hour and a half.

Sep 27 06 11:54 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

Nadya305 wrote:
Like a Black Cloud...!

him and I have gotten into it before in other threads (i.e. https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=72699 )

he just looks for threads with the word tattoo in it and comes in spouting about how ugly tattoos are and how he won't shoot them.

Sep 27 06 11:58 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Ivy Bressler wrote:

The nerve receptors for pain and pleasure are so closely related (litterally side by side on the nerve endings) that it is VERY possible to not only not feel pain, but its equally as possible to enjoy getting a tatoo. I'm extremely ticklish and giggled though my entire tatoo, about and hour and a half.

I DO enjoy the pain of a tattoo, that's why they become addictive smile

huge rush!!

Sep 27 06 12:00 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

him and I have gotten into it before in other threads (i.e. https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=72699 )

he just looks for threads with the word tattoo in it and comes in spouting about how ugly tattoos are and how he won't shoot them.

*I'm convinced he had a puppy as a small child.
That puppy was run over by a carload of tattooed hoodlums.
His source of hatred towards tattoos stems from that experience.

I wish he would just let go and give a tattooed girl a hug.

*This is purely speculation.

Sep 27 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

Nadya305 wrote:
Well said!

BRAVO!

Sep 27 06 12:03 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Envy wrote:

we should send him a sympathy card and then maybe he'll get over it sad

Sep 27 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

We should. Let's all ban together and send him a huge "Get the fuck over it" card.

Sep 27 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

honey everything about me is low.....so don't get pissy.....you just probably have a small tattoo..... you can contact every single tattoo shop in the U.S and ask them if tattoo's hurt....they will laugh and hang up on you for being ignorant.....your body also has nerves that run through it....when those nerves are being messed with by a big ass needle...it hurts.......now that i have school-ed you .....go take some more pictures honey.......kisses j

A friend of mine is a tattoo artist and even he says it depends on your pain tolerance. My piercings didn't hurt and neither did my tattoo. And, I'm not being pissy, I was just stating mine and my friends experiences. And, I don't know where you get tattooed, but  tattoo needles are not "big ass". I suggest you take your bitch tone down a notch if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sep 27 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Envy wrote:

Bwah hahahahaha!!!

Sep 27 06 12:09 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lamonica wrote:
A friend of mine is a tattoo artist and even he says it depends on your pain tolerance. My piercings didn't hurt and neither did my tattoo. And, I'm not being pissy, I was just stating mine and my friends experiences. And, I don't know where you get tattooed, but  tattoo needles are not "big ass". I suggest you take your bitch tone down a notch if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Lamonica, it's been decided, she has no idea what she's talking about. I think her tattoo experiences are limited to people who work out of trailor homes.

Sep 27 06 12:09 pm Link

Model

Nadya111

Orlando, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

HaHa...Nice one !Although I think a get well card is more appropriate~

Sep 27 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Ivy Bressler wrote:

Very true... my two friends went to get their nipples pierced... one cried and freaked out, the other had an orgasm... It all just depends on how well you cope with pain and your nerves.

Sep 27 06 12:19 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Envy wrote:

Lamonica, it's been decided, she has no idea what she's talking about. I think her tattoo experiences are limited to people who work out of trailor homes.

I'm sorry, I just had to put my 2 cents in.... I'm on bed rest for my tonsilitis, so I just woke up and read what she wrote yesterday. I wonder if people realize that what they say makes them look like complete morons. I'm specifically referring to her post about getting tattooed drunk.... I guess trailor trash will be trailor trash.

Sep 27 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Lamonica wrote:
Very true... my two friends went to get their nipples pierced... one cried and freaked out, the other had an orgasm... It all just depends on how well you cope with pain and your nerves.

well I wish that had happened to me (the orgasm)! I just walked out with a big "ugh" look on my face. the woman who pierced me said she could get a second person and they could do both at once, or I could wait 10 minutes between each piercing. well I waited 10 minutes and let me tell you, having to lay back down for that second shock was VERY difficult, I wanted to get up and run!

Sep 27 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

Well, since you don't like tattoos, and you have none, then how much exactly do you know about the motivations of those who do have them?  I mean, I don't have pierced nipples, so I can't really say anything about why anyone else gets them.  I can have an opinion on them, but that's as far as it goes.  I can say to myself "Wow that looks painful!", but I don't know if that is true or not.  That was my point honey.
I don't care if you don't like tattoos.  I don't want to change your mind about them.  They aren't for everyone.  But since you hate them, how much weight does your input hold in a discussion about why people have them?

Some, I'd say.  I have studied anthropology & sociology, and I am known to be observant.

So, here's my thinking.  In the mid-1950s, many young people were beatniks.  They were "expressing themselves" with their appearance, but they wound up dressing similarly & talking similarly.  Were they being original if all of them wore goatees & black clothing & played the bongos (in other words, how original can they be if their dress & vocabulary conformed to group rules)?  In the 1960s, many young people were "expressing themselves" by being hippies, and although they claimed to appreciate individuality, they all tended to wear long hair & colorful clothing & bell bottoms. 

From my perspective, I don't see the difference between beatniks all dressing similarly, hippies all dressing similarly, and the current group of youth who feel that getting tattoos is a form of self-expression.  While you may overlook that exceedingly few tattoos are in fact unique, from my perspective, getting a tattoo is a rite of passage -- it get's you membership into that cool youth culture.

So, what's the difference between someone "expressing themselves" with black clothes & bongos, someone with long hair & psychedelic clothes, and someone with tattoos?

I'll even go further -- I would contend that many of you with tattoos today wouldn't have gotten them if they hadn't been popular before you got them.

Sep 27 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Nadya305 wrote:
Hey Looknsee Photography your bio says it all Amateur!!!

So?  What's your point?

That just means that I chose to support myself in ways other than photography.  That doesn't necessarily mean I am unskilled.

Sep 27 06 12:40 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

well I wish that had happened to me (the orgasm)! I just walked out with a big "ugh" look on my face. the woman who pierced me said she could get a second person and they could do both at once, or I could wait 10 minutes between each piercing. well I waited 10 minutes and let me tell you, having to lay back down for that second shock was VERY difficult, I wanted to get up and run!

Linds (the orgasm girl) was begging them to do the second one... she said it felt like no orgasm she ever had.... hahaha... lucky bitch haha.... My nose didn't really hurt, but when I had to get it repierced, that was unbearable. Trying to get the needle through all that scar tissue was ridiculous...All this piercing and tattoo talk, I'm anxious to get better and get my next tattoo...

Sep 27 06 12:47 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Some, I'd say.  I have studied anthropology & sociology, and I am known to be observant.

you shouldn't say that you studied anthropology and sociology if you just took a few ideas from a few random books. that's not studying anthropology and socially, that's taking other peoples ideas and forming them to fit and support your own opinions.

I have not studied sociology so I will not speak on that subject (though I have studied a few well known pioneering sociologists of the 18th-19th centuries) but if you had studied anthropology in the real sense that a subject should be studied and used in an argument, then I'm sorry to say you must have missed the whole point. You cannot judge a person and their cultural values, choices, etc based on your own bias. we then end up condemning those that are not like ourselves. you are letting the bias fact that you find tattoos personally disgusting influence your ideas about popular culture, fads, and the choices that everyone else will make. Cultural relativism is the principle that an individual human's beliefs and activities make sense in terms of his or her own culture. my culture is different than your culture. we may be part of the universal american culture but how can we even define that anymore? a universal american culture is too general, so I would definitely say that my culture is different than your culture. you could call them sub-cultures if so desired, but I tend to subscribe to the idea that there is not 1 universal american culture. therefore you should practive cultural relativism before you start trashing other peoples cultural values and beliefs.

you may be talking about those people out there that get tattoos to be cool but there is no statistic to tell us what percentage of tattooed people fit in that category, and I think it's obvious that you aren't preaching to that crowd here.

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

So, here's my thinking.  In the mid-1950s, many young people were beatniks.  They were "expressing themselves" with their appearance, but they wound up dressing similarly & talking similarly.  Were they being original if all of them wore goatees & black clothing & played the bongos (in other words, how original can they be if their dress & vocabulary conformed to group rules)?  In the 1960s, many young people were "expressing themselves" by being hippies, and although they claimed to appreciate individuality, they all tended to wear long hair & colorful clothing & bell bottoms. 

From my perspective, I don't see the difference between beatniks all dressing similarly, hippies all dressing similarly, and the current group of youth who feel that getting tattoos is a form of self-expression.  While you may overlook that exceedingly few tattoos are in fact unique, from my perspective, getting a tattoo is a rite of passage -- it get's you membership into that cool youth culture.

So, what's the difference between someone "expressing themselves" with black clothes & bongos, someone with long hair & psychedelic clothes, and someone with tattoos?

I'll even go further -- I would contend that many of you with tattoos today wouldn't have gotten them if they hadn't been popular before you got them.

Huh, then I screwed up because I don't consider myself a part of cool youth culture.  I am not overloooking that many young people don't put that much thought into their tattoos, my best friend has Hello Kitty tattooed on her ass.  She's insane for that.  Eve, the rapper, has admitted the paw prints on her tits were a dare she lost.  I get it! 
And why exactly are you so against trends and rites of passage?  My first tattoo is, in fact, tied in with the rites of passage ceremony I participated in when I graduated high school.  If anything, you should be blasting me for my navel ring.  I only did that because all my friends had it.

Model

o0ashleynicole0o

Orlando, Florida, US

Their are fads in whatever social group you are in. Just because you don't fit into the "tattooed" culture I am sure you fit into some other group and do other things because it's the "thing" to do. I have never met someone that is truely unique, if you shop at the mall or wal-mart or where ever you get your clothes you are joining the fad of the moment because there is someone out there that looks just like you. Bottom line is I didn't get my tattoo because it was the "cool" thing to do, I got it for me and nobody else. I don't care if anyone ever saw it or made comments on it, I simply wanted it for me. So stop assuming that just because people get tattoos they are trying to fit in or be "cool". Because the majority of people I know with tattoos really could give a damn about what anyone thinks or doesn't think about them. So there goes your theory.

Sep 27 06 12:49 pm Link