Forums > General Industry > Lower Back Tattoos

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

3rd Floor Photography wrote:
Guys quit ragging on them for their opinion. They have their opinion for not liking them, just like you have your opinions for liking them.

Your point is a valid one.  Though I love to rag on people who rag on people (ie: referring to the tattoo in question as lame).

I would like to make it clear, however, that I never said I liked them...

Sep 26 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

Really?  They must do it to impress men?  Interesting.  Do you think men get tattoos to impress women?

Everything a man does from the cradle to the grave is to gain the approval of a woman.

And , no,......I didn't just make that up. hahaha

Sep 26 06 07:12 pm Link

Model

Miya

San Diego, California, US

Piercings. Yeah, I swore like a sailor, hips off the table...oooouch. I aint talking the navel. And here I sit thinking I had a high pain threshold smile oh, and my wimpy self is getting another tat 11/11. Bring it on...bzzzzz.

Sep 26 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Miya wrote:
Piercings. Yeah, I swore like a sailor, hips off the table...oooouch. I aint talking the navel. And here I sit thinking I had a high pain threshold smile oh, and my wimpy self is getting another tat 11/11. Bring it on...bzzzzz.

If it's the same one I still have (I took the other nine out about eight years ago) then, yeah, "hips off the table" indeed. Poor piercer trying to follow that to make sure nothing tore. Hurt more than anything else I've ever done volunatarily. Though my last tattoo made me dry heave every twenty minutes due to the pain (now that I have fibromyalgia pain is really bad and it shows dedication beyond belief to do things like get my tattoos). Same tattoo on my husband in the same spot and he bled more than I did but it didn't hurt him one bit. So it depends on your capability to stand pain (or not).

Sep 26 06 07:21 pm Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

My lower back tattoos  are the first installation of my belt and go with my shoulder blades , and will go with the rest of my body which will probably be covered by the time I die.

Hopefully some one will use them as book covers after i go...

or preserve ( tan ) the dermis and hang it as art...

It has been done before. But not often.

Sep 26 06 07:21 pm Link

Model

Miya

San Diego, California, US

Dr Molly Black wrote:

If it's the same one I still have (I took the other nine out about eight years ago) then, yeah, "hips off the table" indeed. Poor piercer trying to follow that to make sure nothing tore. Hurt more than anything else I've ever done volunatarily. Though my last tattoo made me dry heave every twenty minutes due to the pain (now that I have fibromyalgia pain is really bad and it shows dedication beyond belief to do things like get my tattoos). Same tattoo on my husband in the same spot and he bled more than I did but it didn't hurt him one bit. So it depends on your capability to stand pain (or not).

I think I have a new hero!! Damn woman.

Sep 26 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Purple Sea Photography

Waukesha, Wisconsin, US

I did mine for myself, designed it myself and got it by myself!  And oh yeah - it hurt!! *L*  but was so worth it!  It's not my only one either - I agree with an earlier comment about drawing from different parts of one's life!

Sep 26 06 07:43 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

jennifer lockstedt wrote:

honey everything about me is low.....so don't get pissy.....you just probably have a small tattoo..... you can contact every single tattoo shop in the U.S and ask them if tattoo's hurt....they will laugh and hang up on you for being ignorant.....your body also has nerves that run through it....when those nerves are being messed with by a big ass needle...it hurts.......now that i have school-ed you .....go take some more pictures honey.......kisses j

How are you gonna tell someone that their own tattoo didn't hurt?  I have two and neither one bothered me.  Do I need to be schooled too?

Sep 26 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

There are not too many things hotter than a girl with certain artistic tattoos. To me it says; wild, "left-of-center", creative, non-conformist, stylish and unbelievably sexy. The kind of girl who is going to be a blast to be around.  I really like when a very large piece is done as a work of art.

I wish model Model Mayhem had tattoo levels and body mods in the search window...

Sep 26 06 07:48 pm Link

Model

Hacked Account

Houston, Alaska, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

How are you gonna tell someone that their own tattoo didn't hurt?  I have two and neither one bothered me.  Do I need to be schooled too?

yep......lol..... j

Sep 26 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Lee

GUILDERLAND, New York, US

I don't hate lower-back tattoos. Just wondering why women get them there. It is actually better to see a tattoo on a girl's back than one on her legs.

Sep 26 06 07:57 pm Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Purple Sea Enterprises wrote:
I did mine for myself, designed it myself and got it by myself!  And oh yeah - it hurt!! *L*  but was so worth it!  It's not my only one either - I agree with an earlier comment about drawing from different parts of one's life!

I designed mine myself as well , and have done one of my tatttoos but , I did tattoos for awhile so that is not so out of the ordinary amongst tattoo artist.. none of my tattoos hurt me ... not a one ,infact i fell asleep while getting my shouderbaldes done. BUT ... I began getting one lightened with a lazer ( one which i didn't design ,in which the tattoo artist could not follow direction) Point being , lazer tattoo removal is like sticking your body part on the sun , it is excruciatingly painful ... in as so much as the second and third time  i went i broke  tounge depressors with my teeth... next time i will be using Emla Cream.

Sep 26 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Some chick wanted to show my friend her tattoo.  My friend was like, "Let me guess, it's either a butterfly or a tribal design."  And she was like, "OMG!  Yes, it's a butterfly surrounded by a tribal design!"  Kinda funny.

NPR had a piece about a new ink that will be introduced next year that can be cleanly removed with one laser surgery.

Sep 26 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

you guys are silly.

if you want one get one.  who cares where? 

personally i think a good tattoo looks great on a woman.  even on the small of her back (and i agree with the hitting it from the back comment)

but as for pain.....it has nothing to do with how "meaty" or close to the bone it is.  the needles only go so deep.

ready...... grab the skin on your elbow.  very thin area....close to the bone right?  pinch it between your nails....hard.  doesnt hurt so bad does it?  even though its close to the bone.

now...move up a bit.  inside of your arm...between your elbow, and arm pit.

very um... "meaty" 

pinch...

yyyyyyoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

differnt parts of your body are more sensitive than others.

and everyone is different.  some people....hurt like crazy.  others...its not a big deal.  but i wouldnt ever call it "nothing".

Sep 26 06 08:01 pm Link

Model

Nadya111

Orlando, Florida, US

All the photographer's ragging on the models for having a Tat on her lower back or any other area of the body  Quit photography and get a real job and stop your bitchen like little babies...And yes I do have tats so what That's never hurt my modeling...IF YOU DO LIKE WHAT YOU SEE DONT LOOK!!!

Sep 26 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

BlackWatch wrote:
There are not too many things hotter than a girl with certain artistic tattoos. To me it says; wild, "left-of-center", creative, non-conformist, stylish and unbelievably sexy. The kind of girl who is going to be a blast to be around.  I really like when a very large piece is done as a work of art.

I wish model Model Mayhem had tattoo levels and body mods in the search window...

I agree. Perfect example: Look at my girl, Leila, in my port. 27 tattoos all over her body and she's hot as hell. smile

Sep 26 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I have one. It is the only tattoo I have, it is unique. The only other person who had one like it is 6 feet under the ground. My ex-husband was an artist who designed a tribal graphic meaning kicking and screaming holding the stick of life causing creativity to flow around it. I will never get another tattoo, and the lower back seemed like a good place to get it. I don't hide it, have never had one of the more than 80 photographers who worked with me ask me to hide it, and have actually had several want to photograph it.

For me, it wasn't a fluke or a whim, but rather a celebration of a certain strange time in my life. It is very meaningful to me and I pretty much don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

Sep 26 06 08:06 pm Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

jason messer wrote:
you guys are silly.

if you want one get one.  who cares where? 

personally i think a good tattoo looks great on a woman.  even on the small of her back (and i agree with the hitting it from the back comment)

but as for pain.....it has nothing to do with how "meaty" or close to the bone it is.  the needles only go so deep.

ready...... grab the skin on your elbow.  very thin area....close to the bone right?  pinch it between your nails....hard.  doesnt hurt so bad does it?  even though its close to the bone.

now...move up a bit.  inside of your arm...between your elbow, and arm pit.

very um... "meaty" 

pinch...

yyyyyyoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

differnt parts of your body are more sensitive than others.

and everyone is different.  some people....hurt like crazy.  others...its not a big deal.  but i wouldnt ever call it "nothing".

Although I agree with the above i woud have to say , there is a little more to that ....

Some artist do go deeper than others , every artist adjust their needle bars themselves.

Some artists forget to spray before they wipe or use a dry towel to clean up splatter , this creates a more raw and sensitive surface over the course of a tattoo...

Other artist have what we call in the industry a heavy hand....

but a persons pain threshold and their capacity to relax is key Some hyperventilate or become anxious and nervous , some people actually hold their breath for some people hearing the noise of the machine makes them tighten up  not unlike a dentist drill...  or flex their muscles while getting tattooed...( umm breathe !!!!)  the point is to sit back and enjoy the ride.... breathe deep like in yoga and defocus... I swear if you are sitting there looking and watching gritting your teeth and say ohh shit ow uh... it will psychosomatically hurt more...

I put on a walkman( ipod these days )and listen to some really bass heavy beautiful music or classical... and sometimes  I fall asleep or read.

Sep 26 06 08:11 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

cause it is sexy as hell when im takin it from behind........and yes men like it.......oh yeah im flexible enough to see mine.....

Classy.

2. any where that you get a tattoo hurts...even if your drunk off your ass.....

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but you have been falsely "school-ed" . No one should ever drink alcohol or take Advil for that matter before or during a tattoo. It will thin your blood, causing you to bleed more which can make your tattoo look like shit when it's healed.

honey everything about me is low ....so don't get pissy.....you just probably have a small tattoo..... you can contact every single tattoo shop in the U.S and ask them if tattoo's hurt....they will laugh and hang up on you for being ignorant.....your body also has nerves that run through it....when those nerves are being messed with by a big ass needle...it hurts.......now that i have school-ed you .....go take some more pictures honey.......kisses j

Actually , Lamonica is correct. Tattoos depending on size, detail, location , tattoo artist, even the colors used can will an impact on how much pain is involved. I have several that were no more painful than someone gently scratching at my skin with a dull knife.

Sep 26 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Illustrated Imagery

Lamonica wrote:

It was the part of my body with the most "cushion" and I was told it would hurt less. And, it didn't hurt at all... And, it's easy to hide....

Why get one if you are going to hide it? Personaly I hate them on any one but that's me. I see some of the most beautifull women who just trash themselves with these tatoos.

Sep 26 06 08:14 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Joe Lee wrote:
They must do it to impress men. I think they look pretty bad but I guess it's the trend.

Yeah. I heard guys like tramp stamps.

...so which comment is more rude..yours or mine?

I guess that's why girls get implants too. It's all about men.

Next.

Sep 26 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I've gotten a few henna designs from my Indian friends.  The designs were kind of interesting and they wear off in a week or so.  That's about right.

Sep 26 06 08:21 pm Link

Model

Texas Jamie

San Marcos, Texas, US

Ya know.. I have heard lots of different things about tattoos. Some models say it helps their portfolios. Some photographers think it's tacky. Some people think they're unnecessary.. blah blah blah. First of all, tattoos are fine. If you're going to get one.. it's whatever. It's your body, decorate it. BUT.. we are all web models right now. If any of you (who have tattoos) ever wanted to be done with this lame web shit and get into the high fashion world.. you're shit out of luck. Look at it this way. Go through EVERY fashion magazine.. see any tatts? NO. Watch movies. See any girls with their own tatts? NO. Yes, tattoos can always be covered up.. but all of the people I know are way too proud to cover up their tattoos. Victoria's Secret would never hire a girl with (out dated) tribal stuff on her body. Why go with the tribal stuff anyway? When you're 80, it's just going to look like a picket fence.

To whoever said something about being different.. Tattooing can't possibly be considered a way to be "different" when half the damn population has tattoos.

I had to jump in.

Sep 26 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Daniela V wrote:

Yeah. I heard guys like tramp stamps.

...so which comment is more rude..yours or mine?

I guess that's why girls get implants too. It's all about men.

Next.

Oh yeah. Definitely. It's all about the men, dontcha' know. I can't count the number of times I've had guys (and even a few females) say to me, after getting implants, "Why would you do that..? If you have a guy that likes you for you, it shouldn't matter...", blah, blah, blah... As if my decision to get implants had anything to do with a male. As much as they like to think they factor into our decisions in regards to our bodies, THEY DO NOT. It was all for me. Me, me, me, me....ME! tongue

Gawd! That annoys the hell outta' me!

'k... I'm done with my rant. Carry on...

Tattoos...

Sep 26 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Personally, I'm not a big fan of lower-back tattoos. I love good tatts on anyone, but where I live, everrryone has a lower back tattoo of some tribal shit.

I must see 50 a day.

Sep 26 06 08:32 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Rossi Photography wrote:

Oh yeah. Definitely. It's all about the men, dontcha' know. I can't count the number of times I've had guys (and even a few females) say to me, after getting implants, "Why would you do that..? If you have a guy that likes you for you, it shouldn't matter...", blah, blah, blah... As if my decision to get implants had anything to do with a male. As much as they like to think they factor into our decisions in regards to our bodies, THEY DO NOT. It was all for me. Me, me, me, me....ME! tongue

Gawd! That annoys the hell outta' me!

'k... I'm done with my rant. Carry on...

Tattoos...

I want implants.  But I'm broke.  sad  But I do understand your frustration.

Sep 26 06 08:33 pm Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Most of us tattoed people have absoulutely no interest of being high fashion models... I am 4'11''

So it will never make a difference , i have known women who have done commercial ads , in which their tattoos had been ps'd out ... it was a little harder in the earlier years as it had to be airbrushed...

And yes my tattoos are unique... not off of a wall or from a book... never to be done the same again... if some one else ever got my tattoos they would have absolutely no idea what all the details are there for...

Being tattooed is not unique any more , much agreeed , but how and where you choose to be tattooed and of course why you choose to be tattooed is very unique for some people....

Working in a tattoo shop for half my life... there are far too many people runnning in and getting tazmanian devils or "your name" on their ass ... because it is "cool"... this was never the true intention of a tattoo, historically speaking.

Sep 26 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Craiger

Palm Bay, Florida, US

HEY!  Maybe they just like tattoo's! 
Maybe there's a reason they got the tattoo's!  Maybe not! 
Who cares??  If you don't like them, don't friggin look at them!  If you don't want to shoot models with tattoo's, then don't. 
Seems rather simple to me.
I have tattoo's and I don't give a crap if anyone likes them or not.  I do. 
It's amazing that all you rocket scientists out there - posing as professional photographers (!) - have nothing better to then slam models about something as trivial as their tattoo's.
Get over it!

Sep 26 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

I want implants.  But I'm broke.  sad  But I do understand your frustration.

Broke..? Not a problem (if you can make monthly payments). Finance it. That's what I did. I got a loan through "Care Credit". My income is all freelance, no way to verify it. And I still got approved. It's easy. They WANT to approve you. I put $800 down and financed the rest.

Sep 26 06 08:37 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Rossi Photography wrote:

Broke..? Not a problem (if you can make monthly payments). Finance it. That's what I did. I got a loan through "Care Credit". My income is all freelance, no way to verify it. And I still got approved. It's easy. They WANT to approve you. I put $800 down and financed the rest.

You have a point.  And I am in the land of plastic surgery.

Sep 26 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:
...but how and where you choos e to be tattooed and of course why you choose to be tattoed is very unique for some people....

Yep, you are correct.

I only have five tattoos, so I'll use Leila as an example (since she has 27). Every one of her 27 tattoos have special meaning to her. They were all done at a time in her life when she was struggling, celebrating something. That is her way of marking it, so to speak. She carefully chose each one. They weren't just picked out of a book.

She's also a tattoo artist. Has her own shop.

Sep 26 06 08:43 pm Link

Model

Texas Jamie

San Marcos, Texas, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:
Most of us tattoed people have absoulutely no interest of being high fashion models... I am 4'11''

so it will never make a difference , i have known womennwho have doe commecial ads , in which their tattoos had been ps'd out ... it was a little togher in the earlier years as it had to be airbrushed...

And yes my tattoos are unique... not off of a wall or from a book... never to be done tha same again... if some one else ever got my tattoos they would have absolutely no idea what all the dtails are there for...

Being tattooed is not unique any more , much agreeed , but how and where you choos e to be tattooed and of course why you choose to be tattoed is very unique for some people....

Wprking in a tattoo shop for half my life there are for too many people runnning in and getting tazmanian devils or "your name" on their ass ... because it is "cool"... this was never the true intention of a tattoo, historically speaking.

I never said "tattoos aren't unique". But if you want to go there, You may be one of the VERY FEW people who get unique tattoos. I used to design tattoos for people I went to school with. Since you used to tattoo people, you must know what I mean by .. "NO MORE DAMN BUTTERFLIES OR FAIRIES".. SERIOUSLY. There is nothing unique about the majority of tattoos. And "historically speaking", no self-respecting woman would get a bull's-eye-type tattoo above her ass. I've studied the shit.. it never happened. There is nothing "historical" about pubic-region tattoos either. "Historical" tattoos were about things the tribesmen/women overcame.. life journeys.. wars.. anything significant.. rights of passage.. all that junk. But people doing tribal designs just because they can.. Makes me wanna slap 'em and say "good job on ruining something that used to mean something." And don't get me started on "baby girl".. gag a fuckin' maggot.

Sep 26 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
You have a point.  And I am in the land of plastic surgery.

What you want to do is, apply at the doctor's office. Don't apply online. I applied online and was denied. Went to the doctor's office, she got on the phone and two minutes later I was approved. If you have good credit, yeah... go ahead apply online. But if you doubt it, apply at the office. It's interest free too! But like I said, they want to approve you. They'll help you get approved at the office.

Sep 26 06 08:47 pm Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Cant do this for tattoos though , they are usually cash or plastic, on the spot!

Sep 26 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Jamie Garrett wrote:
There is nothing "historical" about pubic-region tattoos either.

No, but that doesn't mean I don't want to still get mine that is a female symbol with a big circle and a line through it after getting my total hysterectomy. Right where the cramps used to be (not on the actual pubic region - below the belly button but above the "pubes").

Some of us have a very twisted sense of humor about our tattoos.

Sep 26 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:
Cant do this for tattoos though , they are usually cash or plastic, on the spot!

The cool thing about photographing Leila (other than the beautiful photos we create together) is we've come to an agreement that I'll stop charging her for shoots and she'll give me free tattoos when I want them. Going to get another soon. Lol...

Sep 26 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Dr Molly Black wrote:

No, but that doesn't mean I don't want to still get mine that is a female symbol with a big circle and a line through it after getting my total hysterectomy. Right where the cramps used to be (not on the actual pubic region - below the belly button but above the "pubes").

Some of us have a very twisted sense of humor about our tattoos.

LOL... That is so cool!

Sep 26 06 08:59 pm Link

Model

Nadya111

Orlando, Florida, US

I totally agree Craig...

Sep 26 06 09:01 pm Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Los Angeles, California, US

I have 3 tattoos, all are fairly small, and many people do not know I have them. I am getting another, and I was going to do the lower back, but now I think I have changed my mind, lol!

As for the pain, I think that there are many factors contributing to potential pain. I have a very high threshold for pain. I walked around with a broken wrist for a week as a child because it did not hurt. Childbirth was mildly uncomfortable. Two of my tattoos were painless, and one was what I would call annoying, but not painful. I pierced my own navel and eyebrow and ears. Pain is a very individual sensation. I would not assume to know how someone else perceives pain.

Sep 26 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

David (6of7) wrote:
It's placed there to show confidence in that they don't have to be able to see their beauty to know that they are.

Lamonica wrote:
It was the part of my body with the most "cushion" and I was told it would hurt less. And, it didn't hurt at all... And, it's easy to hide....

Ass Antlers! big_smile

Sep 26 06 09:08 pm Link