Forums > General Industry > Should a Black photographer disclose that fact?

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Steven Barrett wrote:
Maybe you should change your professional name to 'Film Noir'?

good one.

Aug 10 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I'd be like damn, you didn't tell me you were a bigited ignorant white bitch!

Perhaps from now on we ALL better screen out, the former day care children!

It's pathetic how most humans still haven't caught up with the 20th century, not to mention this is the 21st century, guess the ignorant bigited ones are still carrying around their tails & breathing out thier gills!

You definitely don't need to waste your time on intellectual dwarfs!

Aug 10 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisCorbettPhotography

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Electra T wrote:
Is it wrong or rude to ask the photog if he's black or white or green?

I have no problem with the model asking if I'm black. I'd probably say yes.

Aug 10 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

dee740 wrote:
I guess I wasn't aware that being black was "something to tell". This model was using the photog's race as a character assessment, not  really the same as accomodations for an overweight individual. So here are two questions about your situation. a) How was she to know about your chair problem? b) why would I call a job and tell them anything that could be used as a reason  to "overlook" my resume before they even hear me out? What all should we tell people?  Should I be calling jobs after they've seen my resume and disclosing I'm African American? I mean what the hell?!  She saw his work and decided she liked waht she saw, so if she had a problem with his racial makeup maybe she should have disclosed that.She wanted to judge him for some reason  based on race and all he's doing is shooting her, not making babies with her.

I agree, Dee. But reality is reality. What's more shocking to me, and yet really isn't is how many on here are surprised by this. I can give you a few experiences and I can give you others experiences when it comes to this matter.

Lawrence the photographer has addressed this matter often on here but continues to get overlooked until someone actually brings up a actual/recent expeirence.

Me personally, I don't and won't put up with the bullshit. I'll put your ass on the spot and get rid of you, because I'm not trying to get in your pants. I can get that outside of the business. This is business for me.

But like I have suggested in my previous post, just move on to the next. There is always going to be someone out there who will shoot with you and not look at your color.

Sounds like to me that she got caught up in his conversation and feelings came out not knowing who or 'what' was on the other end.

Aug 10 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Should a Black photographer disclose that fact?

NO.

Should a White photographer disclose that fact?

NO.

What difference does it make?

Aug 10 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Technoir Photo Central

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

PPRO Analyst wrote:
As a minority photographer, shooting nudes, should I make a point of advising new models that I am Black?

I'm sure you've gotten the gist so far, but: yeah, it's absurd for you to have to do that or even feel that you have to do that in this day and age. The color of your skin shouldn't matter if you're on that side of the camera.

Aug 10 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

rp_photo wrote:
Photographers should have a "disarming" picture of themselves onliine somewhere that prospective llamas can see.

That way, if there is something about you that creeps them out (such as race), things will go no further.

It's also a good idea because the llama will know it is you when meeting for the first time. Sometimes people assume someone looks a certain way, and are surprised when truth is revealed.

Did anyone ever see an image of a radio personality, only to find out that they looked nothing like you thought?

In my MM profile, one of the photos is of myself. I did it so people would know what I looked like should we not get a chance to meet before we shoot. I also think it's a pretty nice shot. LOL

Strange thing happened to me once, though. I shot with an African-American female, and when she pulled up to the shoot, she said, "I didn't know you were a brother." I was like, do I not shoot like one? LOL

That was a good ice-breaker, and we had a GREAT shoot that day!

Aug 11 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

If you are still taking votes on what to do with the money, my suggestion is to cash the check, take that $200 or even break it down into $50s and bless some random stranger with it. Give it to someone for being polite. Hand it to someone that holds the door for you, says please or thank you. Take the money from the rude and give it to the nice.

Aug 11 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Don, just know that you are not alone to have experienced this.  I have, too, fortunately in the past when I just started.  Racism is like this gigantic elephant in the room, that some people just refuse to see that it's there.

I am sorry to hear about this, Don (especially given the quality of your work), just move on and try to forget it.

Aug 11 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

DSP_Productions

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I have lived all over the US and never seen the race issue as thick as it is here in KY.

It is a sad day in America that we even have to discuss this crap.

It may be that where people live would make a difference.

Personally my thought on the matter it might be easier to handle the whole thing by simply addind a photo of yourself somewhere in your port or on your bio.

I think it would help for all photographers to do this anyway but alas I STILL HAVE NOT DONE IT! smile

I have photographed many black woman and they don't seem to care that I am white they care that I am a photographer.

later,
david

Aug 11 06 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

Wow....
That's a shame. It should not matter if you are Black or White..
The quality of your work should speak for itself...

The only Black or White issues in this game should be only when converting to Grayscale!!

Aug 11 06 02:04 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

There's a bat in my house! Batty batty batty!

Aug 11 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
I agree, Dee. But reality is reality. What's more shocking to me, and yet really isn't is how many on here are surprised by this. I can give you a few experiencequickshotphotographys and I can give you others experiences when it comes to this matter.

Lawrence the photographer has addressed this matter often on here but continues to get overlooked until someone actually brings up a actual/recent expeirence.

Me personally, I don't and won't put up with the bullshit. I'll put your ass on the spot and get rid of you, because I'm not trying to get in your pants. I can get that outside of the business. This is business for me.

But like I have suggested in my previous post, just move on to the next. There is always going to be someone out there who will shoot with you and not look at your color.

Sounds like to me that she got caught up in his conversation and feelings came out not knowing who or 'what' was on the other end.

EXACTLY... !!  I dont know ANYONE who doesnt know someone who has these feelings.. But i laugh at people who ACT like they are surprised that someone was BOLD enough to say it in mixed company.. NO ONE can claim to be shocked at the feelings, just shocked that she would be vocal about them..

I tell the white people I know NOT to apologize to ME for their actions, but to talk to the people who LOOK LIKE THEM to squash the behavior on their level.. I dont need their sympathy, but when you hear it from someone who looks like you when no one else is around and you say nothing, you CONDONE it.. So dont apologize later..

I respect a outward bigot more than a closet one.. at least I know where the outward ones stands and dont have to worry about them cutting my throat in my sleep..

A good buddy of mine is white, after about a year of knowing each other his mother felt comfy enough to ASK me all the questions she ever had about black people.. He was embarassed and I felt sorry for her.. that after 60+ years of living she never felt comfy enough with anyone of another race to ask the questions she had that would have cleared up alot of the misconceptions she was raised with..

It is as funny and sad as the white people who will sing rap songs LOUD in their cars saying all the Nigga words but if a black person is around they quit rapping and look like they are guilty of something..

Anything you cant do in mixed company, you shouldnt do when you are alone.. life is simple that way..

Aug 11 06 05:23 am Link

Photographer

James Johnson

Anaheim, California, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:
Yesterday, I had a model walkout on a scheduled shoot because I “didn’t tell me you’re black!”  This model and had several phone conversations about the planned shoot, her portfolio, my portfolio, etc.  We even talked about family and educational goals.  You know all the normal stuff adults talk about.

The shoot was at my condo in the Lincoln Park section of Chicago, not exactly the hood!
Average home costs around $550,000 so you get the idea of the community.

As a minority photographer, shooting nudes, should I make a point of advising new models that I am Black?

Sorry this happened to you.  But there is no need to advise anyone that you are Black.  Just let it go and move forward.  Even though there is a picture of me in my portfolio, it still happens to me.  But most are kind enough to email me before the shoot and tell me they do not shoot with "N***** photographers."  Unfortunately it will happen again.  Don't let it get you down.

Aug 11 06 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Aug 11 06 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

shouldn't matter what color you are as long as your quality of work is fantastic! she's a dumb model. move on.

Aug 11 06 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

UIPHOTOS wrote:
EXACTLY... !!  I dont know ANYONE who doesnt know someone who has these feelings.. But i laugh at people who ACT like they are surprised that someone was BOLD enough to say it in mixed company.. NO ONE can claim to be shocked at the feelings, just shocked that she would be vocal about them..

I tell the white people I know NOT to apologize to ME for their actions, but to talk to the people who LOOK LIKE THEM to squash the behavior on their level.. I dont need their sympathy, but when you hear it from someone who looks like you when no one else is around and you say nothing, you CONDONE it.. So dont apologize later..

I respect a outward bigot more than a closet one.. at least I know where the outward ones stands and dont have to worry about them cutting my throat in my sleep..

A good buddy of mine is white, after about a year of knowing each other his mother felt comfy enough to ASK me all the questions she ever had about black people.. He was embarassed and I felt sorry for her.. that after 60+ years of living she never felt comfy enough with anyone of another race to ask the questions she had that would have cleared up alot of the misconceptions she was raised with..

It is as funny and sad as the white people who will sing rap songs LOUD in their cars saying all the Nigga words but if a black person is around they quit rapping and look like they are guilty of something..

Anything you cant do in mixed company, you shouldnt do when you are alone.. life is simple that way..

Interesting,

my brother and I experienced a similar situation back in Michigan. There were two white chicks in their Bronco truck rapping LOUD, saying Im a badest gangsta b!tch etc..As soon as my brother and I pulled up to the side of their truck at a traffic light, everything just changed. They just went silent. I guess we just took them out of their comfort zone with our presence.

But to be fair here, another reality too is that their are sistahs who do this to black male photographers too. Yeap, sad but true. Same fears and some think that they are going to get some ghetto pictures and not good quality. lmao. It's called conditioning.

I have a PDN magazine (photo district news) where the company did a report on this matter that is very common in the phtography business that blacks and hispanics expereince.

One example was from a black male fashion photographer. He was told that he should go over to Europe and do fashion photography first and then come back over to the States and shoot fashion. He asked why? The person explained that if he do this, then people will think that he's gay when he photograph white women. Otherwise, they'll feel more comfortable with him because they don't and won't think nor feel uncomfortable being photographed by a gay black male. Wow.

Edit: You made me think about two more recent expereinces. One was about a few months ago. I saw a Puetro Rican resteraunt here in the cali. bay area. It was odd for me to see this because their isn't a large Puetro Rican population here like in the midwest and on the eastcaost. The driver that I was working with at the time stated: we refer to them as 'spics'.

Well, it don't take a rocket scientist to fgure out what he would refer to me or like, if I weren't in his presence. I guess it was ok to say this because I'm not Puetro Rican. Not the first time that I've heard this type of conversation.

The other was yesterday on my job where a guy started cracking Polish jokes on a Polsih guy. Niether I nor the Polish guy found it humrous.

Aug 11 06 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Mike Cummings wrote:
https://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_logic_preview.jpg
http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/st … _insp.html

Everytime I see Mr. Spock now, it reminds me of those two Spock lke charcters on the 'Got Milk' commercial who came millions of lights years to get the 'white tonic' from the almighty Di Ary.

Aug 11 06 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Shyte, I'm White and Black??? I agree with the pack your shit and hit the ramp tramp approach.

Aug 11 06 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

https://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_racism.png

Aug 11 06 06:34 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

We also should have an image of ourselves on here. Thats a great idea. Not for race reasons but for the fact that people will know who we are. I am afraid I have to pull down one model image and replace it with my own.

Aug 11 06 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
We also should have an image of ourselves on here. Thats a great idea. Not for race reasons but for the fact that people will know who we are. I am afraid I have to pull down one model image and replace it with my own.

Hadyn- Use the "avatar" link under my stuff. It will allow you to upload a separate image for your avatar that doesn't appear in your port.

Todd S.
MM Moderator

Aug 11 06 06:39 am Link

Model

Toni Jordan

New York, New York, US

No!  You did not have to disclose that information... If I see your work.. and you have what it is I am looking for... Let's work together regardless...
Ignorance will be her downfall...
Don't let that change or discourage you!!!  Keep your head up!

Toni

Aug 11 06 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Processed Pixels

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, US

Or maybe you should have just said "What?? you mean I'm black, when the hell did that happen?" LOL

Aug 11 06 06:49 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Processed Pixels wrote:
Or maybe you should have just said "What?? you mean I'm black, when the hell did that happen?" LOL

to add to that. He should've bucked his eyes open wide and said, AWWW LAWD! Sum body help me.

Aug 11 06 06:58 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Interesting,

my brother and I experienced a similar situation back in Michigan. There were two white chicks in their Bronco truck rapping LOUD, saying Im a badest gangsta b!tch etc..As soon as my brother and I pulled up to the side of their truck at a traffic light, everything just changed. They just went silent. I guess we just took them out of their comfort zone with our presence.

But to be fair here, another reality too is that their are sistahs who do this to black male photographers too. Yeap, sad but true. Same fears and some think that they are going to get some ghetto pictures and not good quality. lmao. It's called conditioning.

I have a PDN magazine (photo district news) where the company did a report on this matter that is very common in the phtography business that blacks and hispanics expereince.

One example was from a black male fashion photographer. He was told that he should go over to Europe and do fashion photography first and then come back over to the States and shoot fashion. He asked why? The person explained that if he do this, then people will think that he's gay when he photograph white women. Otherwise, they'll feel more comfortable with him because they don't and won't think nor feel uncomfortable being photographed by a gay black male. Wow.

I had a married woman that asked me to shoot her nude for her anniversary pics tell her husband I was gay so he wouldnt freak out..

and I have had two models tell me later that they told their BF's the same thing..

Funny that I am physically bigger than ALL of their mates, so it made me laugh.. I could care less if anyone thinks I am gay, I wouldnt do anything to convince them otherwise.. I am big enough to take care of any issues that may arise..

but it pissed me off at the same time.. that someone would even feel like that would be necesary to justify being nude in front of me or even just being ALONE with me..

All of those models happen to be white..

The only issues I have had with black models is their fear of the "potential sexual tension".. But that is their own egos talking..

Funny I have had a few tell me they were SURPRISED that nothing happend during their shoot.. like they couldnt believe I didnt try to get my freak on while they were naked in front of me.. Those models became one time shoots.. that mentality isnt something I even want to be associated with..

Aug 11 06 06:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

What a DINGBAT!  Good riddens, I say.

Aug 11 06 07:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Excuse me, but I have to take issue with this statement.  You do NOT have to go to the DEEP SOUTH to find more racist attitudes.  You can find them EVERYWHERE...some are just more OUTWARD about their expression of them, others are frankly ignorant they HAVE RACIST ATTITUDES. 

The most RACIST place I ever lived was in the Northeast - BOSTON.

Paramour Productions wrote:
I would like to say I'm shocked, but having grown up in Chicago (Northwest side at the corner of Central & Belmont) I'm not.

You have to go to the deep south to find more racist attitudes I think.  (yes I know these are generalizations, but they are consistent with my experience).

Try not to let it get to you, your work is great, she's an idiot, end of story.

Aug 11 06 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

I remember that image in boston in the 70's of the white man stabbing the black man with the american flag and pole during the bussing issue. Yeah we got racists here alright.

Aug 11 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Face Arts wrote:
Excuse me, but I have to take issue with this statement.  You do NOT have to go to the DEEP SOUTH to find more racist attitudes.  You can find them EVERYWHERE...some are just more OUTWARD about their expression of them, others are frankly ignorant they HAVE RACIST ATTITUDES. 

The most RACIST place I ever lived was in the Northeast - BOSTON.

true. Martin Luther King found this out when he marched in Chicago. He cimpared it to the south.

Aug 11 06 07:13 am Link

Photographer

H E R B L I S H

Orlando, Florida, US

That was not only rude - unprofessional as well. You are better off not dealing with such bigot.

Aug 11 06 07:14 am Link

Photographer

Maxim V

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

It's funny, many models think I'm black because I primarily work with African/African-American women. I wonder if anyone will ever walk out on me because they were expecting a brotha and got a Euro-Jew. smile

Aug 11 06 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

McKenzie Bros Photo wrote:
Should a Black photographer disclose that fact?

NO.

Should a White photographer disclose that fact?

NO.

What difference does it make?

While I agree with you I was taken to task by a friend who I met online when, after having met for the first time in person, she asked me why I never told her I was in a wheelchair. I looked at her and said I didn't think it mattered, she said it doesn't but she still would have liked to be "given the chance to make up my own mind". I guess this just shows that it DOES matter, no matter how much we'd like to think it doesn't.

Aug 11 06 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

I would have told her "Don't let the door hit ya on you white a-- on the way out !!
  Why does color have to be always be part of everything and anything ?? We are all Gods Children.........

Aug 11 06 07:23 am Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

I can't believe she said that.  That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Aug 11 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I'm a black photographer, as well, and have never had a problem.  Then again, who knows what people think or say that I do not know about? 

That is definitely horrible that she did that.  It's awful that such attitudes still exist. 

Your work is awesome--keep your head up and keep shooting!

Aug 11 06 07:29 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

James Johnson wrote:

But most are kind enough to email me before the shoot and tell me they do not shoot with "N***** photographers."

I'm so naive. I couldn't imagine someone writing me an email and calling me an n****!! The person that called you a "n**** photographer" can't be working seriously. Hell, they are going to have to adjust or get out of the game. There are blacks, gays, transexuals and women photog's out here.

Aug 11 06 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Shantul Nigam

Avon, Connecticut, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:

I am not black... rather my heritage comes from India. However, I think the best quote is from Malcolm X... I might have gotten it wrong but it is something like this... "Never ask for what you deserve, make yourself so valuable that you can demand it!"

You are well on your way to be able to demand it already. In terms of economics, there are a ton at the bottom, a many in the middle and only a few at the top. It becomes her loss to lose the opportunity to work with one of the great ones.

If anyone makes an issue of who you are tell them... "Your loss" and then never look back.

Aug 11 06 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Marc Pitman

Dayton, Ohio, US

I doesn't make a difference and shouldn't. You're a photographer who is black. Not a black photographer, right? I'm pink. Does that make be a better or worse photographer? Nope.
Good luck
Peace

Aug 11 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

dee740 wrote:
I'm so naive. I couldn't imagine someone writing me an email and calling me an n****!! The person that called you a "n**** photographer" can't be working seriously. Hell, they are going to have to adjust or get out of the game. There are blacks, gays, transexuals and women photog's out here.

there is a THIN line between being naive and fooling yourself into being clueless.. many people do the latter..

Isnt Nigga mainstream now, since 70% of rap music is purchased by non blacks..? and most rap has it sprinkled in like pepper on a salad..?? but that is another conversation..

If black folks make up 12% of the ENTIRE population of the U.S., that means 88% are NOT black so why would you think she wouldnt find 88% more people to shoot with who arent black..

lets be real here.. all this hand holding and hugging is making me sick to my stomach.. real life isnt a photo shoot.. so for someone to want to shoot with you they have to bring their REAL LIFE to you as well.. and this is what that looks like..

It is nice to hold hands and sing songs but the REAL world is like this.. if I am white and choose to NEVER speak to or associate with anyone how isnt white I have 6 out of 10 people to choose from.. so that odds are GREAT that I will never have to if I CHOOSE not to..

She has made her choice..  and if the numbers hold true and 12% of the poplulation of photographer are minority, she has 88% of the photographers to choose from..

kinda simple..

Aug 11 06 08:22 am Link