Forums > General Industry > Should a Black photographer disclose that fact?

Photographer

Tre Mosley

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I'm sorry you had to go thru that....but ironically i had that happen to me and the model herself was black. I was hurt at first, because someone of my own race didnt feel "safe" enough to work with me. I let her know how I felt, and told her no one would want to work with her with that kind of attitude. A year later she contacted me, apologized, and we shot. Even though she's not modeling anymore, we've remained good friends over the years, and she thanked me for giving her a second chance. I told her you gave YOURSELF the chance...the chance to change.

Aug 11 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Law Cote

Taunton, England, United Kingdom

No, that fact that you happen to be black should not even come into it

i dont tell people before hand "Oh by the way i am white, still want to shoot?"

if a model cancels on you for your skin colour then she was never worth working with in the first place, and i would spread the word about what their persona is like.

sorry mate, must of been a bit annoying to have someone cancel for that reason

hope it never happens again

Law

Aug 11 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

Marc Pitman wrote:
I doesn't make a difference and shouldn't. You're a photographer who is black. Not a black photographer, right? I'm pink. Does that make be a better or worse photographer? Nope.
Good luck
Peace

PINK or PEACH..?? Pink would be a little scary.. Peach not so much.. LOL

Aug 11 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

J. Michael Strange

Independence, Missouri, US

dale99 wrote:
How sad.  It would really bother me if I had to put:  "Warning, photographer is a pudgy old white dude" on my email signature and business cards.  I vote we both keep our appearance a secret.

Although I fit the description of "pudgy old white dude", I don't plan on keeping it a secret. I have a picture of myself in my MM portfolio.

I've shot models that were black, white, red, yellow, and some that have rainbow stickers on the back of their cars.

I would say that it is the models loss, not yours.

Aug 11 06 08:34 am Link

Model

Vincent Vega

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I shouldnt name call here but

WHAT A DUMB BITCH

Aug 11 06 08:36 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

UIPHOTOS wrote:

there is a THIN line between being naive and fooling yourself into being clueless.. many people do the latter..

Isnt Nigga mainstream now, since 70% of rap music is purchased by non blacks..? and most rap has it sprinkled in like pepper on a salad..?? but that is another conversation..

If black folks make up 12% of the ENTIRE population of the U.S., that means 88% are NOT black so why would you think she wouldnt find 88% more people to shoot with who arent black..

lets be real here.. all this hand holding and hugging is making me sick to my stomach.. real life isnt a photo shoot.. so for someone to want to shoot with you they have to bring their REAL LIFE to you as well.. and this is what that looks like..

It is nice to hold hands and sing songs but the REAL world is like this.. if I am white and choose to NEVER speak to or associate with anyone how isnt white I have 6 out of 10 people to choose from.. so that odds are GREAT that I will never have to if I CHOOSE not to..

She has made her choice..  and if the numbers hold true and 12% of the poplulation of photographer are minority, she has 88% of the photographers to choose from..

kinda simple..

Based on your scenario I'm not sure what the poulation of photographers and their racial makups are, so let's not apply those numbers. The stats you provided have nothing to do with what state or city a person lives in or the demographics for that area. You just made some blanket statements. I'm from Detroit, if I were white and lived in Detroit, I'd be possibly walking into situations all day saying "I didn't know you were black!" and storming out (if I were the  OP's model). My problem is not necessarily with making choices to shoot exclusively with white photog's, but more so putting herself and the photog in a embarassing situation. Depending on how popular or well connected the photog she could've killed herself in the local industry. If she has issues with people's race, she should investigate ahead of time. And  then go see someone about why she has those issues. All her little hangups can get her stuck at home not working.

Aug 11 06 10:56 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

its probably wise to check all pertinant facts before meeting a stranger from on line
- a picture is a good preparation I admit I like to get myself
#after all, they see my picture!
& at least that would keep these bigots away from your fabulous camera and your life

Namaste

Aug 11 06 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've followed this thread for a few days.  Its been interesting.  Most of you have
said how uncool she was and racist well here's something to consider.  I
have a friend who works at a well known agency.  She told me that they tend
not to want to send their models to Black photographers.  In fact they have no
Black photographers on their rounds list.  See we can all sit around and sing,
We are the world but that sad truth is MM isn't the world.  Its full of artists and
educated people as well as some very nice people and a few bigots.  There is
also another sad undercurrent here that many people want to avoid.  Many of
the Black models aren't too keen on working with Black photographers and I'm
not talking about me.  I'm not trying to make this some sort of sad grab for
sympathy.  I know of several Black models right on MM who not only have not
worked with any Black photographers they have no desire to ever shoot with one.
I know one for example that has expressed her disgust with Black men in general
and her love of the talent of White photographers.  There have been several threads where Black men have been bashed in general and its been all good.
There was a thread about, Why are Black models always late and it was locked
and removed quickly.  Look I'm not saying Black models in general are biased
against Black photographers or models in general are but before we think how
some continue to think like the Klan how many have those same feelings but
hide them.

Aug 11 06 11:48 am Link

Model

Tara Jane

New Haven, Connecticut, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:

So far only three votes, let everyone you know on MM know about this vote!

Don

I think it should go to some charity about racism awareness or something. Or antiracism charity.
A lot of you have said this girl is not a model and there's no room for her in the industry. You are all entitled to your opinions about this, and about whether she desrves to live and whatnot. I feel that her racism should no more be a factor in her career than her race itself. All industries have racism in them, and though we don't like it, it's not going away anytime soon. Her racism will limit the people she is able to work with and that will likely hurt her anyways, but I really don't think it makes her less of a model. Less accepting, less of a good person, less of someone we would like to work with or be friends with, less intelligent maybe even, but no where does it say models have to be intelligent or accepting, though in this day and age, many people in many different professions are, there's still the very active clan going on, and inherent racism on every corner. It's not good, I don't like it, but it is there.
I'm a very accepting person, I accept people of different races, different sexual preference, and different racial preference, racism is a HUGE character flaw, but there's still a lot more to her person than just that.
I would like to contact her, or hope that she's reading this, and I repeat if the race of who you're working with is an issue for YOU, than YOU are responsible to ask that, for most people it is not an issue and is not the photographer's responsibility to awkwardly say, by the way I'm black, irish, chinese, indian, gay, a parent, obese, does that affect you wanting to work with me?

Aug 11 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Tiffin

San Antonio, Texas, US

She's not a professional or even aspiring professional. It's sad in this day and age we are still subject to having definition about us be created and fully foundationed in regards to the color of our skin. I wouldn't change a thing man. Keep doing what your doing and tuck this little lesson away and try real hard to not let it influance your creative push.

cheers,
-jon

Aug 11 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

A. KAYE

Richardson, Texas, US

you should have shot back,
"you didn't tell me you were a bigot!"
and thrown her ignorant ass right in the street.
I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AGREE WITH AMARA

THINK WHAT GORDON PARKS MIGHT HAVE DONE.

Aug 11 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

A Joy

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Wow.... that's extremely offensive.... i'm sorry that had to happen to you! ....you should leave a disclaimer on MM, that is, if she has one..... and having been to the lincoln park area, i must say, you're a very lucky man! chicago is a wonderful city...

Aug 11 06 01:33 pm Link

Model

April Kristine

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DigitalSwede wrote:
Not anymore than a jewish or gay photographer should have to tell a model  ( just examples). If someone thinks race is such a big issue when it comes to working with them best to find someone else.  Racism is all over.  I'd personally like it that one day artist are judged on their work not where they were born or what religion they are or what color their skin is...

I definatly agree!If a model is limiting themselves because a photographer is a certain race then she needs to aspire another occupation!!!!!!!!!As long as they are professional and have beautiful work who should care about anything else!

Aug 11 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

We are who we are. Embrace and build upon our strengths, avoid our weaknesses. 

My background has been marketing, sales and idea development for many years. The more we let people know who and what we are, the more we can find people who respond to us and to what we produce strongly. We can find productive relationships and develop our name brand recognition.

The behavior of the woman who came to model for you is her problem, certainly not yours.

There are all kinds of labels about so many things. I loathe labels. Frankly, racism is a heated topic, but that's only one of many.

A positive attitude, a professional demeanor, a confidant handshake, and a friendly smile opens doors everywhere. Your work and attitude is 1st class, so that counts more than anything.

I've even decided to stop talking about ADHD out loud ... too many people think it's some kind of sad disease. LOL. Little do they know ;-)

Aug 11 06 01:52 pm Link

Model

Elle Celeste

Lexington, Alabama, US

Her loss!! What an idiot!!

Aug 11 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
If you are still taking votes on what to do with the money, my suggestion is to cash the check, take that $200 or even break it down into $50s and bless some random stranger with it. Give it to someone for being polite. Hand it to someone that holds the door for you, says please or thank you. Take the money from the rude and give it to the nice.

Must be nice not to know what to do with extra money!

Aug 11 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

Tiffany Morgan

Santa Monica, California, US

So Says Amara. wrote:
you should have shot back, 'you didn't tell me you were a bigot!' and thrown her ignorant ass right in the street.

I agree!

Aug 11 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

rp_photo wrote:
Photographers should have a "disarming" picture of themselves onliine somewhere that prospective models can see.

That way, if there is something about you that creeps them out (such as race), things will go no further.

It's also a good idea because the model will know it is you when meeting for the first time. Sometimes people assume someone looks a certain way, and are surprised when truth is revealed.

Did anyone ever see an image of a radio personality, only to find out that they looked nothing like you thought?

I'm sure that this discussion has taken a turn away from what I'm addressing, but... whatever.

Wow.  Well, I was planning on reading through the 250-something posts and keeping my comments to myself until I read this...

I think this is exactly the reason NOT to put up a photo.  "Disarming" or otherwise.  Why alter what you do to cater to the small-minded views of others? 

Radio personalities, ironically, are hired for their... waitforitwaitforitwaitforit... radio personalities.  I know it sounds ridiculous but it's true.  And sure, I've seen a number of radio djs that looked nothing like what I expected.  But what they looked like had no effect on whether or not I listened to them.  And I certainly don't feel like they should have photos of themselves up to that I can select who I listen to based on appearance.

And the "So the model can know what you look like when you meet" is far over-rated.  That saves what, all of 15 seconds of waiting or confusion perhaps?  If the photographer is there early or at least in contact via cell phone, he or she can provide the model with a fitting enough description.

Aug 11 06 04:31 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

my thought was guys could send one toward the end of planning, as a courtesy and for friendlniess sake

if the model is gonna be  a problem re your look (!!) the at least you know / they cancel before the shoot!!!

Aug 11 06 04:37 pm Link

Model

MaRy-Eve

Niverville, Manitoba, Canada

She needs to grow up!  Don't let that shit get to you.  I love all photogos :>

Aug 11 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

Maybe this is the reason for all the no-shows and other problems I've had with models, I'm "older" and "fatter". Maybe I should put a disclaimer in my email signiture smile

Please don't get on me for the remarks, I'm describing/judging myself, not others.

Aug 11 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Schultz

Winchester, Virginia, US

Someone with your amazing photos should not have to put up with s#&% like that.  I'm not from Chicago, but live close enough to the city to realize the neighborhood was a good one (as someone earlier questioned), and if she felt comfortable enough to initially show up for the shoot, your race, ethnic background, whatever -- should not matter in the least.  Good luck to you and hang in there!

Aug 11 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

PPRO Analyst

Chicago, Illinois, US

The $200 sitting for the model who walked out on me has been donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation® of Illinois.  This was decided by vote of the MM community.  Thanks to everyone to make their choice known!

Make-A-Wish serves the northern and central regions of Illinois; 70 most northern counties in the state.  For more information check out their web site: www.wishes.org

640 North LaSalle¸ Suite 280
Chicago, IL 60610

Office Phone: (312) 602-9474
Office FAX: (312) 943-9813
Toll Free: (800) 978-9474

E-Mail: [email protected]

Aug 11 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:
Yesterday, I had a model walkout on a scheduled shoot because I “didn’t tell me you’re black!”  This model and had several phone conversations about the planned shoot, her portfolio, my portfolio, etc.  We even talked about family and educational goals.  You know all the normal stuff adults talk about.

The shoot was at my condo in the Lincoln Park section of Chicago, not exactly the hood!
Average home costs around $550,000 so you get the idea of the community.

As a minority photographer, shooting nudes, should I make a point of advising new models that I am Black?

pretty easy really, if it matters so much to her, she shouldve asked beforehand! i think u should be happy she walked out, why would u wanna spend more than 20 seconds with a fuck like that anyway?

Aug 11 06 07:16 pm Link

Model

UrbNVision

Baltimore, Maryland, US

e-string wrote:
What the HELL?! I can't believe people are THAT openly racist anymore. Wow.

Please Believe It. Racism isnt dead...nor will it die. What shocks me more is that people act like racism isnt around anymore, or it doesnt happen anymore like its a thing of the past. Its alive and well people!

But that is so insulting...God Bless her Soul.

Aug 11 06 07:17 pm Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:
Everybody seems quick to say she is wrong and a racist.

Does everybody know her past and why she made the comment?
Does everybody know the context of how it was said to him?

Not everybody has a good life, she may have had something happen to her at some point in her life that she is not comfortable with. Maybe it was a black man, or maybe it was a bad experience in a bad part of town and it scared her.

It could be the content of the shoot mixed with the neighborhood and the fact that he is black, mixed with feeling uncomfortble is the reason also.
One thing a model should always do is if she/he feels uncomfortable, DO NOT do the shoot.... it is preached on this site day after day, and now your all bad mouthing this model for following thru with it.

EDIT: The above is not directed at you PPRO. What the model said was wrong but maybe the situation to her was really scary? Did you ask her for a reason as to why it was a problem?
You being black should not be an issue, but some models you may hire/TFP with may have an issue with it, that is not something you can change.

z

Oh so if people have one bad expirience that means that all people are bad? Its still closed minded. Its like if a certain country bombed another country and then that country hates everyone one pro and anti-war in the certain country... oh wait.

Aug 11 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I've followed this thread for a few days.  Its been interesting.  Most of you have
said how uncool she was and racist well here's something to consider.  I
have a friend who works at a well known agency.  She told me that they tend
not to want to send their models to Black photographers.  In fact they have no
Black photographers on their rounds list.  See we can all sit around and sing,
We are the world but that sad truth is MM isn't the world.  Its full of artists and
educated people as well as some very nice people and a few bigots.  There is
also another sad undercurrent here that many people want to avoid.  Many of
the Black models aren't too keen on working with Black photographers and I'm
not talking about me.  I'm not trying to make this some sort of sad grab for
sympathy.  I know of several Black models right on MM who not only have not
worked with any Black photographers they have no desire to ever shoot with one.
I know one for example that has expressed her disgust with Black men in general
and her love of the talent of White photographers.  There have been several threads where Black men have been bashed in general and its been all good.
There was a thread about, Why are Black models always late and it was locked
and removed quickly.  Look I'm not saying Black models in general are biased
against Black photographers or models in general are but before we think how
some continue to think like the Klan how many have those same feelings but
hide them.

amen.

Aug 11 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Tara Jane wrote:
I think it should go to some charity about racism awareness or something. Or antiracism charity.
A lot of you have said this girl is not a model and there's no room for her in the industry. You are all entitled to your opinions about this, and about whether she desrves to live and whatnot. I feel that her racism should no more be a factor in her career than her race itself. All industries have racism in them, and though we don't like it, it's not going away anytime soon. Her racism will limit the people she is able to work with and that will likely hurt her anyways, but I really don't think it makes her less of a model. Less accepting, less of a good person, less of someone we would like to work with or be friends with, less intelligent maybe even, but no where does it say models have to be intelligent or accepting, though in this day and age, many people in many different professions are, there's still the very active clan going on, and inherent racism on every corner. It's not good, I don't like it, but it is there.
I'm a very accepting person, I accept people of different races, different sexual preference, and different racial preference, racism is a HUGE character flaw, but there's still a lot more to her person than just that.
I would like to contact her, or hope that she's reading this, and I repeat if the race of who you're working with is an issue for YOU, than YOU are responsible to ask that, for most people it is not an issue and is not the photographer's responsibility to awkwardly say, by the way I'm black, irish, chinese, indian, gay, a parent, obese, does that affect you wanting to work with me?

Tara? You need to quit and you most definetly need a wakeup calll.

Let's get real here. You are sitting here having sympathy for a woman who spoke her true feelings. This is something that is more than likely a common thing with her and more than likely will do the same to you.

you don't sit back and excuse this type neither. Why kiss ass for another and criticize others for calling it what is. Especially the black photographer. I feel bad for him more because he is like alot of ethnic men and women out here. Feeling that he has to go to extremes just to proove to some stupid bitch that it's ok to shoot with him because I live in a 500,000 house in a all white suburb etc ect.

Tara, that shit doesn't always work. Sometime you have to put people in check and other times you have to ignore them. I'd suggest that he just move on, don't hide from fear that his career will go down because of his color. He is not alone.

I have had similar experiences with both black and white models. But I tell you what, I nipped that shit in the bud and got my respect. Finish.

Aug 11 06 08:21 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Naeemah LaFond

New York, New York, US

Don't even ask that question. As an artist your work should speak for itself. Your race has nothing to do with it. The "By the way..i am black" disclaimer prior to meeting is crazy. She is a racist- and she needs to crawl into a hole and live there...she would never make it in NYC for sure.

Aug 11 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Iain Daddy

Epsom and Ewell, England, United Kingdom

PPRO Analyst wrote:
Yesterday, I had a model walkout on a scheduled shoot because I “didn’t tell me you’re black!”  This model and had several phone conversations about the planned shoot, her portfolio, my portfolio, etc.  We even talked about family and educational goals.  You know all the normal stuff adults talk about.

The shoot was at my condo in the Lincoln Park section of Chicago, not exactly the hood!

As a minority photographer, shooting nudes, should I make a point of advising new models that I am Black?

I think the model is well within her rights and you white boys better stop photographing those nude black girls or I will have to look in the props bin and find a white pointy hat and a burning cross and come over there...

Aug 11 06 08:28 pm Link

Model

TiffanyB

Clinton, Mississippi, US

Prejudice comes in many forms. My sis is special needs and after 18...yes 18 interviews to work at different places, she was finally given the "chance" to interview for a job at Old Navy. They hired her, special needs and all. People put blinders on and only see what they want to see. Inside, we all bleed the same color, we all feel the same feelings, and we all leave this earth the same way we came in. My daddy is half japanese and dealt with prejudice growing up. Those that judge others for whatever reason are the ones that will face the music when it is all said and done.
I am sorry you had to deal with this but as my mom says, what doesn't break us, makes us stronger.
xoxoxox
Tiffany

Aug 11 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Iain Daddy wrote:

I think the model is well within her rights and you white boys better stop photographing those nude black girls or I will have to look in the props bin and find a white pointy hat and a burning cross and come over there...

We understand your black humor !

Aug 11 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Now I come and read your post, makes me sorry I posted my stupid black camera joke. I hate hatred, I am intolerant of intolerance. If it mattered so much to that stupid bitch, why doesn't she post it in her port? I used to work retail in Fresno California, a VERY diverse city and you take people one at a time, for themselves, or you miss out on some really cool humans!! Sorry it happened, on to the next.

Aug 11 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

What is sad that even in this day and age Black people or better yet Black
men still feel the need to prove their okay and not like the other bad Black men.
This may mean wearing a suit and tie almost all the time or living where some
can't afford to live or buying that expensive condo or home and driving cars
they can't quite make the payment on all to fit in.  This also fits many Americans
of all colors but for many upward mobile Black men it is a real problem.  Some
have suggested that photographers post photos of themselves.  Here's a story
I tell about a friend of mine.  We were walking in a very nice area a while back.
My friend is a big dark Black guy in great shape.  I'm somewhat fair skinned and
a bit on the nerdy side our other friend is White.  We noticed several White women
seemed a bit nervous when we passed them and later we teased him about it.
He said something I'll never forget, I'm not responsible for their comfort. 
This is a power full statement.  Yet many of us continue to try and prove ourselves.
What is interesting is that the model didn't pick up that the OP was Black through
his voice.  I usually can tell Black people through their voice not 100% of the
time but quite often.  This was a sad thing but at least she was honest.
She could have made up a lie or just said she had to leave.  Instead she spoke
her mind.

Aug 12 06 02:31 am Link

Model

Felixx

Spokane, Washington, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:

Should a white photographer be like "oh by the way, I'm white."
to hell with that bitch.

Aug 12 06 04:13 am Link

Model

Felixx

Spokane, Washington, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:

AND she is not a lady.  Just wanted to throw that in there.

Aug 12 06 04:14 am Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

dee740 wrote:
Based on your scenario I'm not sure what the poulation of photographers and their racial makups are, so let's not apply those numbers. The stats you provided have nothing to do with what state or city a person lives in or the demographics for that area. You just made some blanket statements. I'm from Detroit, if I were white and lived in Detroit, I'd be possibly walking into situations all day saying "I didn't know you were black!" and storming out (if I were the  OP's model). My problem is not necessarily with making choices to shoot exclusively with white photog's, but more so putting herself and the photog in a embarassing situation. Depending on how popular or well connected the photog she could've killed herself in the local industry. If she has issues with people's race, she should investigate ahead of time. And  then go see someone about why she has those issues. All her little hangups can get her stuck at home not working.

Blanket.. LMAO  Ok.. fine.. make the numbers fit anyway that helps to make your point about Detroit.. BUT 8 out of 10 people in the united states are NOT BLACK.. so she has more of a chance to NOT deal with anyone black.. 8 out of 10 times..

Dayton is 55% minority and there are little suburbs that have NO minorities and their children NEVER have to interact with any.. Detroit is NO DIFFERENT.. I have family there..

Walking past someone on the street or in the mall is NOT interacting with them.. Just as the girl said to me last week that after 23 years I was the FIRST colored man she ever had a conversation with.. FIRST.. and she said COLORED..

I know local photogs here that are relatively successful.. meaning they ONLY do photography for a living.. But though some of their work is stellar, they NEVER get the jobs that the white photogs get.. 

As others have pointed out, this is life.. People need to be MORE honest and these hand holding apologetic sessions wouldnt be necessary..

She will find otherS who feel like her to work with, no problem..

Aug 12 06 07:13 am Link

Photographer

PPRO Analyst

Chicago, Illinois, US

Last night I received an interesting PM from a MM model explaining her "fear" of shooting with black photographers. 

For her communication was a big concern, my response was "That as long as you are never disrespectful, you can say anything you want."

I hope she'll understand that we all will change by just being together.

Aug 12 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

UIPHOTOS wrote:

Blanket.. LMAO  Ok.. fine.. make the numbers fit anyway that helps to make your point about Detroit.. BUT 8 out of 10 people in the united states are NOT BLACK.. so she has more of a chance to NOT deal with anyone black.. 8 out of 10 times..

Dayton is 55% minority and there are little suburbs that have NO minorities and their children NEVER have to interact with any.. Detroit is NO DIFFERENT.. I have family there..

Walking past someone on the street or in the mall is NOT interacting with them.. Just as the girl said to me last week that after 23 years I was the FIRST colored man she ever had a conversation with.. FIRST.. and she said COLORED..

I know local photogs here that are relatively successful.. meaning they ONLY do photography for a living.. But though some of their work is stellar, they NEVER get the jobs that the white photogs get.. 

As others have pointed out, this is life.. People need to be MORE honest and these hand holding apologetic sessions wouldnt be necessary..

She will find otherS who feel like her to work with, no problem..

Agree. I am from the Detriot area and Dee should know better. Detroit is so segregated that it's sick. Blacks living in a now abandoned city because of the 30's and 60's riots. Whites moving into the suburbs because they refused to school or live next door to blacks. Dee knows what I'm talking about. It's still a talked about and controversial issue back there.

I wished that MM member A.Fox was on here, she knows what I'm talking about she lives in the city.

But like you said, she can avoid black men and work with white photographers. Even in Detroit she can do the samething. All that she has to do is go into the suburbs to get what she wants. Bloomfield, Troy, Warren and other suburbs outside of Detroit.

Aug 12 06 10:21 am Link

Model

Felicia5

Wow! I've had non-Black photographers tell me things like:"my girlfriend will be with me; she's Black" or "for what it's worth, my assistant is African American"....Like I care! I would understand if they made it a point to tell me how many women of color they have shot with. Then I don't have to worry about them lighting me like I was Nicole Kidman! But what does your assistant have to do with you being a good photographer?
Felicia

Aug 12 06 01:29 pm Link