Forums > General Industry > Should a Black photographer disclose that fact?

Model

Rhiannon Rose

So Says Amara. wrote:
you should have shot back, 'you didn't tell me you were a bigot!' and thrown her ignorant ass right in the street.

Indeed! If they are concerned about race, they are not worth your time. It is not in any way important. I am very sorry. To answer you querstion...No! You should not, because it is not important. Not wether you are black, purple, orange. Whatever. All that matters are your skills as a photographer.

Aug 10 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:

So far only three votes, let everyone you know on MM know about this vote!

Don

Maybe use it for the next model?

Aug 10 06 03:11 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Why does it matter? I go to a photographer for his/her talent, not their ethnicity. In fact, I am always happily surprised when I discover my photographer has an ethnic background, whether it be Nigerian, African American or Iranian, Jewish or Eastern European.

I think that black photographers in particular make me happy cause they know how to photograph my ass. And, they are usually better at being verbally encouraging without being sleazy.
My experiences with photographers who are black in particular have all left me feeling really good about myself (not to mention they have delivered amazing photos at a higher ration than others). Why ruin the surprise.

Unless the photographer feels that it is part of their goal or desire to discose thier ethnicity due to their personal belief system, it does not make a damn bit of difference to me. And if I do find out they are black, I am actually more likely to shoot with them.

Aug 10 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:
So far only three votes, let everyone you know on MM know about this vote!

Don

You'd probably get more of a response if you started a new thread for this.

Aug 10 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

e-string wrote:
What the HELL?! I can't believe people are THAT openly racist anymore. Wow.

You must not visit the "Off Topic" section of this forum very often.

Aug 10 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:
Yesterday, I had a model walkout on a scheduled shoot because I “didn’t tell me you’re black!”  This model and had several phone conversations about the planned shoot, her portfolio, my portfolio, etc.  We even talked about family and educational goals.  You know all the normal stuff adults talk about.

The shoot was at my condo in the Lincoln Park section of Chicago, not exactly the hood!
Average home costs around $550,000 so you get the idea of the community.

As a minority photographer, shooting nudes, should I make a point of advising new models that I am Black?

Hell No ! Why should you (or I) have to say up front, that we are African American, or whatever term to say we are of African descent ?

Puh-lease !
https://www.tonyculture.com/storage/Portal/tcdp-e.gif

Aug 10 06 03:15 pm Link

Model

Abernathy Lily

London, England, United Kingdom

Ive never heard of anything so ridiculous!!!!
What on earth has that got anything to do with anything???? Im just gobsmacked

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 10 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Lapis wrote:
Why does it matter? I go to a photographer for his/her talent, not their ethnicity. In fact, I am always happily surprised when I discover my photographer has an ethnic background, whether it be Nigerian, African American or Iranian, Jewish or Eastern European.

I think that black photographers in particular make me happy cause they know how to photograph my ass. And, they are usually better at being verbally encouraging without being sleazy.
My experiences with photographers who are black in particular have all left me feeling really good about myself (not to mention they have delivered amazing photos at a higher ration than others). Why ruin the surprise.

Unless the photographer feels that it is part of their goal or desire to discose thier ethnicity due to their personal belief system, it does not make a damn bit of difference to me. And if I do find out they are black, I am actually more likely to shoot with them.

the line is going to get long !

Aug 10 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

I am a Divahead: My photographer must look like Richard Gere.

No short fat, bald, photographers, allowed.
No gay, black, asian, mexican, lesbian photographers allowed.

Aug 10 06 03:28 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Marshall Arts wrote:
Believe it.  Racism is here to stay.  I'm sure I've been overlooked because I'm black AND physically fit.  That's a double-whammy and "scary" to a lot of non-black models.

I know it won't really go away, but I'm pretty surprised that people are that OPEN about it in places other than certain parts of the south. Sad.

I just don't GET IT! How is a black, physically fit photographer scary? That doesn't make any sense to me. Do they think they're going to get raped or something? That's about the only thing I can think of, and it seems way too out-there to be what they're really thinking.

Aug 10 06 03:37 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

the line is going to get long !

Well, between Chip Willis, Melvin Moten, Jay Bowman, T.H. Taylor and in my dreams of shooting with Bruce Talbot as well as other photographers I have shot with in the past, I have a pretty long list myself. (sorry if I excluded anyone, and Unomundo, I don' t really know exactly what YOUR ethnicity is, but you are in the front of my line regardless.)

Aug 10 06 03:40 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I vote for the Humane Society. smile

Aug 10 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Tony Culture Photoz wrote:

Hell No ! Why should you (or I) have to say up front, that we are African American, or whatever term to say we are of African descent ?

Puh-lease !
https://www.tonyculture.com/storage/Portal/tcdp-e.gif

bumbo claarth !

Aug 10 06 03:42 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I personally am embarrassed that I am part German. And that one of my uncles belonged to the nazi party, but I don't think it is necessary to advertise it.

Aug 10 06 03:45 pm Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

you know what I just thought about? What if she changed her mind and decided to just blurt out something she knew would make you never contact her again. Since it was 200 dollars and she obviously wasnt an agency model(if she was she is screwed) I am asuming it was lingerie or nude (just assuming) and maybe she changed her mind and would rather use the "the photographer lied to me about his race (i know you didnt)" or whatev excuse rather than get the rep of a flake... although racist isnt better... just a thought, and I think you should donate it to anything that has to do with bettering the enviroment.

Aug 10 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

i see no reason why you should hide the fact. the model will know your black when they meet you. if they are offended by such things they deserve to have their time waisted for being ignorant. this is the 21st century for goodness sake.

Aug 10 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Trevor Green

Atlanta, Georgia, US

After looking at your beautiful work, I would say that you don't have any trouble getting great models. Shrug in off, her lost. She isn't going to last very long with that attitude. On a similar note, most of my models think I'm black, guess what - I'm white. I shoot mostly black men. I am also gay. I shoot a lot of striaght guys nude. They have no problem that I have ever been aware of. I don't tell anyone up front. That's silly. Sometimes I meet a model if there is time. I do talk to everyone on the phone and go over the shoot. Move on and fell bad that she is so shallow. You are better off.

Trevor

Aug 10 06 04:07 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I dont see why its such a big deal as long as their work is good. However I did have a situation where someone pretended to be female and when I got to the shoot I was VERY surprised to see a VERY large man instead of the female I had been speaking to...........

Aug 10 06 04:09 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am contacting the OP right now to see if he will work with me........

Aug 10 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

-Tripp

San Diego, California, US

She/he's a model (or thinks they are).

Your a photographer.

Photographers create images with models.

What more needs to be known?

Anyone that decides to work with you should be doing so based on your body of work, not the color of your body.

If race becomes an issue, the other person wasn't a professional to begin with.  And there are plenty of wannabes out there.  Their stupidity, bigotry or lack of respect shouldn't cause you to waste one minute thinking about if you should expose you are black.  The only exposing you need to mention is film or chip.

What's next?  Wannabe: "Excuse me, photographer. But like, are their MSG's in the chips you have in your pantry?  Cuz, like, I'm just not comfortable shooting near anything that is impure or may cause my chi to somehow, like, become off balance..."

Rock on and push this sad person curbside in your mind.

Aug 10 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
I dont see why its such a big deal as long as their work is good. However I did have a situation where someone pretended to be female and when I got to the shoot I was VERY surprised to see a VERY large man instead of the female I had been speaking to...........

but the red ensemble did look good on him..

run claire run !  you should have !

Aug 10 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

AnthoNYC

New York, New York, US

Did she notice that the camera's black?!?!

Hmmm?  Come to think of it...  They almost all are !!!

Hmmmmm!?  Make's you think!?

LOL

Aug 10 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

hasan wrote:
i see no reason why you should hide the fact. the model will know your black when they meet you. if they are offended by such things they deserve to have their time waisted for being ignorant. this is the 21st century for goodness sake.

Nooooo! he is a Bryant Gumbel look alike !

Aug 10 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Everybody seems quick to say she is wrong and a racist.

Does everybody know her past and why she made the comment?
Does everybody know the context of how it was said to him?

Not everybody has a good life, she may have had something happen to her at some point in her life that she is not comfortable with. Maybe it was a black man, or maybe it was a bad experience in a bad part of town and it scared her.

It could be the content of the shoot mixed with the neighborhood and the fact that he is black, mixed with feeling uncomfortble is the reason also.
One thing a model should always do is if she/he feels uncomfortable, DO NOT do the shoot.... it is preached on this site day after day, and now your all bad mouthing this model for following thru with it.

EDIT: The above is not directed at you PPRO. What the model said was wrong but maybe the situation to her was really scary? Did you ask her for a reason as to why it was a problem?
You being black should not be an issue, but some models you may hire/TFP with may have an issue with it, that is not something you can change.

Aug 10 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

L D Photography

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Not everybody has a good life, she may have had something happen to her at some point in her life that she is not comfortable with. Maybe it was a black man, or maybe it was a bad experience in a bad part of town and it scared her.

It could be the content of the shoot mixed with the neighborhood and the fact that he is black, mixed with feeling uncomfortble is the reason also.
One thing a model should always do is if she/he feels uncomfortable, DO NOT do the shoot.... it is preached on this site day after day, and now your all bad mouthing this model for following thru with it.

EDIT: The above is not directed at you PPRO. What the model said was wrong but maybe the situation to her was really scary? Did you ask her for a reason as to why it was a problem?
You being black should not be an issue, but some models you may hire/TFP with may have an issue with it, that is not something you can change.

So do you also think that everyone with a long nose should clearly state that in his profile, so that if a model is uncomfortable with long nosed people, or is prejudiced against long nosed people she can avoid him too. 
Like someone said earlier, if she has a problem with some type of person and will not work with them, she should ask?   So that she doesn't have to go to the shoot and be insultive to their face.  He should not have to brand himself to make it easier to identify him.

Aug 10 06 04:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BeautyByIsis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Wow.  I cannot believe that happened to you.  I am so sorry to hear that.  To answer your question, no, you do not need to disclose this information, and shouldn't.  Why should you?!  There's no need, it has nothing to do with your skill.  I say chalk it up to bigotry, lose the model's number, and move on.  There's really nothing else you can do.  That is so horrendous, again I am sorry you had to encounter that.

Aug 10 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Well said. Every model deserves the opportunity of a graceful exit, especially if it is TFCD and/or the first time working with a photographer.

Where the model messed up was in giving the reason. She could have said something a bit more diplomatic like "I'm sorry, but I don't think I can proceed", etc.

Aug 10 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Race should make no difference in photography.  You shouldn't have to tell anyone your race.  I shoot with a friend, who is black, every chance that I can get.  I sent him a model recently, who is white.  I didn't tell her his race, that would be offensive to me. 

They got along great!  He called me to thank me for the wonderful model I sent him.  I shot her a week later and really enjoyed myself.

So, don't tell people your race, its immaterial.  For those like the model that walked out,  Forget them!

Aug 10 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

rp_photo wrote:

Well said. Every model deserves the opportunity of a graceful exit, especially if it is TFCD and/or the first time working with a photographer.

Where the model messed up was in giving the reason. She could have said something a bit more diplomatic like "I'm sorry, but I don't think I can proceed", etc.

I'd much rather a model be honest [and in this case reveal what a tiny minded bigot she is] than make up some stupid excuse.  Unless one is a total idiot, it would have been obvious that the model had an issue about race, after setting up the shoot, discussing it at length and driving all the way to the location.  There's nothing "diplomatic" about lying...it's just lying.

Aug 10 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

rp_photo wrote:

That is a reasonable response but in her case alot depends on her modeling experience (good or bad), how many shoots she has been on. She may have had a bad experience with another black gentleman and it did not go well.
I do not think PPRO did not do anything personaly to instigate this, other than being black from her response. Unless he asked her "Why" i doubt he will know the reason. She possibly could have been so nervous and eager to leave ect, that she could not find anything to say and said that. Then again maybe she did mean to say that, then it was uncalled for.
What PPRO should do is send a message to her and just put in a simple note saying that he did not relize his skin color was an issue, and he did not mean to make her feel uncomfortable. From that when she responds, she may provide a better explanation as to why she said that, or why his skin color was an issue.

It may turn out that something bad happened to her at one time in her life, or it could be with her family and the way she was raised. He may not even get a response at all or a negative response. But as aprofessional photographer, he should know that not everything is easy and in business you run into all kinds of people good or bad or indifferent.

Aug 10 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan David

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

If the model has such a hang up about race, then (despite the fact that she doesn't need to be modeling) she needs to ask that question beforehand. It's not the photographer's responsibility to disclose their race to someone. Hey, it's a free country and she has the right to be narrow-minded and ignorant if she wants. Myself, I've had black models react negatively to me once they found out I was white. For some reason many models think I'm a black photographer...?  Oh well,  it goes both ways I suppose. People will be people. Just a bump in the road my friend. We all have them in one form or another.

Ryan

Aug 10 06 05:19 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

ChayStyles

Brooklyn, New York, US

e-string wrote:
What the HELL?! I can't believe people are THAT openly racist anymore. Wow.

believe it.  two weeks ago i heard a flamboyant white man call a black man he did not know a "NIGGER" on the F train in the most diverse city in this country New York.  all because the black passenger was being annoying.  and do you know how people responded "oh! you handled him well"

*as a side note...i mentioned the fact that the man was flamboyant bc it annoys me that the gay community equates their struggle with the black civil rights movement and there are several gay people that i have encountered that are very racist*

Aug 10 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

michaelrowe photography

Los Angeles, California, US

wow, that is crazy.  I can't believe that happened.  People are stupid, stupid, stupid.  Her lost.   I AM BLACK,IF YOU CARE TO KNOW.  I don't think you have to tell anyone what you are, if she liked you work enough to come to the shoot, she should have stayed and experience your creativity.

Aug 10 06 05:21 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

ChayStyles

Brooklyn, New York, US

and no u shouldnt have to disclose your ethnicity...it has nothing to do with how talented you are.  she was intimidated by the fact that you are who you are and that should not make you change yourself or way of doing things.  she's missing out on some good shots for her portfolio smile

Aug 10 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

David Oscar Flores

What a horrible experience!  I'm sorry you had to face that.  I despise bigots and racist!  I experienced something kind of similar where me, my brother and our good o'friend from Guatemala was working at an Event which we do here in LA providing bars for all those High Profile parties.  Well, one of the Hosts asked my brother to not allow our friend to be a bartender (Which is what he is) and instead have him buss tables.  It was terrible having to tell Marlon that.  No one has ever done that to us and him before.  But you know, business is business in our case and we made a lot of cash...

In your case, no.  Since when do we have to tell other's of your race, creed, religion and sexual preference to work with each other?

What a creep and sad person that model is.

Peace,
David

Aug 10 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

RAW-R IMAGE

I have to be blunt with language that suits the situation:

F * * K the As*Hole And move on!!

I am African Amercian and have considered the question, but have decided--MOVE ON!! I photograph all ethnicities, "colors", races, sexual persuasions, genders, etc., and if they can't hang with my pigmentation----Fuckem!!! There is ABSOLUTELY NO place for RACISM! Granted she may have issues, on a personal basis, with increased melatonin, but SO WHAT! She doesn't want to photograph with you because of that--respect her wishes and MOVE ON! She should have said upfront--"no nig*er photographers!

I AM PISSED OFF!!

Aug 10 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Well isn't she?  She called the shoot off because the photographer was black.  Do the math.

Peter Dattolo wrote:

What does her past have to do with the photographer?  If she has so many issues, she probably shouldn't be a model in the first place.

Peter Dattolo wrote:

She blew off the shoot after finding out the photographer was black [which isn't a crime in the US -- yet].  How much "context" do you need?

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Once again, what does any of this have to do with the OP?  I'm pretty sure he has an airtight alibi for anything in this idiot's past.  The idea that one black person is exactly the same another is where all these problems start.  What do you think racism is?

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Unless you think the OP is a total liar, this shoot was discussed at length, as were personal details about the photographer that the model was originally comfortable with.  If she weren't, why did she even show up?

We're not bad mouthing a model who cancelled on a suspicious individual, we're decrying an obvious bigot who cancelled simply because the photographer was a different color than she was. 

Peter Dattolo wrote:

The day we allow bigots to justify their cultural/intellectual shortcomings, to feel okay about being prejudiced idiots is the day the promise and intent of the United States is violated for good.  The very idea that I need to "try to understand" bigotry is an insult bordering on the comical.  I refuse to waste my time trying to "understand" the hatred and prejudice of anyone.

I hate to invoke Godwin's Law, but would you ask a Jew to try seeing Hitler's side of things?

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Does this mean i need to start asking models "hey, you're not a bigot or a nazi or anything are you?  Or "did I mention my skin condition?"

just for good measure:

http://www.lipmagazine.org/~timwise/whatcard.html

Aug 10 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

David Oscar Flores

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
name some names !!!! call the bigots out !!!

Witch Hunt!  I agree!

Aug 10 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Well isn't she?  She called the shoot off because the photographer was black.  Do the math.

Peter Dattolo wrote:

What does her past have to do with the photographer?  If she has so many issues, she probably shouldn't be a model in the first place.

Peter Dattolo wrote:

She blew off the shoot after finding out the photographer was black [which isn't a crime in the US -- yet].  How much "context" do you need?

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Once again, what does any of this have to do with the OP?  I'm pretty sure he has an airtight alibi for anything in this idiot's past.  The idea that one black person is exactly the same another is where all these problems start.  What do you think racism is?

Peter Dattolo wrote:

Unless you think the OP is a total liar, this shoot was discussed at length, as were personal details about the photographer that the model was originally comfortable with.  If she weren't, why did she even show up?

We're not bad mouthing a model who cancelled on a suspicious individual, we're decrying an obvious bigot who cancelled simply because the photographer was a different color than she was. 

The day we allow bigots to justify their cultural/intellectual shortcomings, to feel okay about being prejudiced idiots is the day the promise and intent of the United States is violated for good.  The very idea that I need to "try to understand" bigotry is an insult bordering on the comical.  I refuse to waste my time trying to "understand" the hatred and prejudice of anyone.

I hate to invoke Godwin's Law, but would you ask a Jew to try seeing Hitler's side of things?

Does this mean i need to start asking models "hey, you're not a bigot or a nazi or anything are you?  Or "did I mention my skin condition?"

just for good measure:

http://www.lipmagazine.org/~timwise/whatcard.html

I am not going to get into a argument on racism and what i said or she/he said over this. I have some good friends who are black and none of them would have let her walk out saying that to them, without getting in thier face and asking for a reason as to why. After that it is easy to remark something in defense like she was a racist, or narrowminded (depending on the situation) before kicking her out.
I am sure alot of choice words would come up in this situation, and most probably would be correct on both counts.
It was wrong for her to say that and i stated that several times. His skin color should not be an issue either.....but it was. I am not black but if that was said to any friends of mine, i sure would not have let them leave without a few choice words.

EDIT: I looked at the site but did not read it. I happen to agree with a black friend who told me this once "Racism comes from two points, the people who practice it and the people who will not let it die".
If racism is to die then somebody has to be the bigger person and let it go.

Aug 10 06 05:52 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Ceehawk Multimedia wrote:

Believe it e, it is just not as blatant.  My brother's kids are bi-racial and a few months ago their aunt told her sister(my brothers ex-wife) during an argument, "go on and have some more "N-word", kids.  The kids are 15,14 and 12 years old and I've know the aunt since the 1st one was born.  she's faked being cordial to me for 15 years but then she goes and calls her niece an nephews the N-word...go figure.

She pulled a Mel?

Aug 10 06 06:12 pm Link