Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Suicide and Violence Help Thread

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Star Child wrote:

big big step. bravo!

It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but being that it was likely the trigger to some of my mental health issues, it had to be talked about.

Sadly though, I am now distracted as all hell and entering finals week hmm

Dec 08 09 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Pathogenic Confessions wrote:

It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but being that it was likely the trigger to some of my mental health issues, it had to be talked about.

Not wise to turn off a WIN by owning a negative. Let the knowledge of that WIN stay close to your heart. The finals will come and go, but what you gain from the WIN will stay forever.

Dec 08 09 03:17 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Star Child wrote:

Not wise to turn off a WIN by owning a negative. Let the knowledge of that WIN stay close to your heart. The finals will come and go, but what you gain from the WIN will stay forever.

True, but the effects of finals don't just go tongue

Dec 08 09 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Hey, stop being a Debbie Downer. tongue Enjoy your WIN. Revel in it.

I have WIN myself. I wasn't sure I should post it, but the other party to this is OK with it.

My cousin called me up a few weeks ago and was a bit timid which, if you know her, is not like her at all. She wanted to ask me something, but wasn't sure how I'd react. I told her to just spit it out. It seems her sister's ex-husband (who she is still really close with) has recently become a cross-dresser. He was looking for someone to take photos of him dressed as a woman. I replied "Sure, no problem. When and where?" She almost started crying and told me that she knew if anyone would do it, it would be me. He was having trouble finding anyone to take the photos.

So, this past Sunday, I did the best I could turning my front room into a make-shift studio just for this. He came with my cousin and a friend who does hair and makeup. We did the shoot and I had my camera tethered to a display so he could see each shot as I took it. He came away extremely happy and told me he had looked for months and no photographer within a 50 mile radius would even bother. I felt great that I could help someone out like that and we really did get some nice shots.

But wait, there's more. It seems this guy has worked as a carpenter/contractor. He told me for a couple hundred dollars in material, he'd turn my front room into a studio to be proud of as a thank you for me being so nice.

But wait, there's more. The MUA told me that if I ever needed her along on a shoot to just let her know far enough in advance and she'd even take a day off work to help me out.

So, yeah, we all came away from that experience happy.

Dec 08 09 05:24 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Cassina de' Pecchi, Lombardy, Italy

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:

Hey, stop being a Debbie Downer. tongue Enjoy your WIN. Revel in it.

I have WIN myself. I wasn't sure I should post it, but the other party to this is OK with it.

My cousin called me up a few weeks ago and was a bit timid which, if you know her, is not like her at all. She wanted to ask me something, but wasn't sure how I'd react. I told her to just spit it out. It seems her sister's ex-husband (who she is still really close with) has recently become a cross-dresser. He was looking for someone to take photos of him dressed as a woman. I replied "Sure, no problem. When and where?" She almost started crying and told me that she knew if anyone would do it, it would be me. He was having trouble finding anyone to take the photos.

So, this past Sunday, I did the best I could turning my front room into a make-shift studio just for this. He came with my cousin and a friend who does hair and makeup. We did the shoot and I had my camera tethered to a display so he could see each shot as I took it. He came away extremely happy and told me he had looked for months and no photographer within a 50 mile radius would even bother. I felt great that I could help someone out like that and we really did get some nice shots.

But wait, there's more. It seems this guy has worked as a carpenter/contractor. He told me for a couple hundred dollars in material, he'd turn my front room into a studio to be proud of as a thank you for me being so nice.

But wait, there's more. The MUA told me that if I ever needed her along on a shoot to just let her know far enough in advance and she'd even take a day off work to help me out.

So, yeah, we all came away from that experience happy.

This is so awesome!

Dec 08 09 06:02 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

You are very brave. Be proud of yourself, I am. big_smile

Dec 08 09 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

One of the things I've learned this year through my struggles against depression is how much we cling to negative connotations. When I'm already in a struggle to feel the upside of life allowing myself to confess all the negatives can be self defeating.  I love what Natasha said about not focusing on the negatives. That's so true. That's not denying them because we know they're there, but we have to understand that we will see what we focus on. If we're trying to see a positive we must focus on them only.
Big cheers and kudos to Natasha.

Dec 09 09 12:14 pm Link

Model

CarrieA

Grand Haven, Michigan, US

great idea and bless your heart for posting this. There are also resources out there for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) which can be caused by many things including being molested, rape and combat. I lost a friend to suicide when I was 14 and found her hanging in her basement. Reach out for help,  you would be suprised how many people really love you and will be holding the arms out to catch you.

Dec 09 09 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Grades are not the supreme gateway to life that schools make them out to be.

Dec 09 09 03:55 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:

Grades are not the supreme gateway to life that schools make them out to be.

Trust me, I understand, but they are the gateway to med school, which is the gateway to my life.

Either way, I am just balancing what I can without messing myself up mentally

Dec 09 09 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Trust me, I understand, but they are the gateway to med school, which is the gateway to my life.

Either way, I am just balancing what I can without messing myself up mentally

Med school is gateway to a career - a chosen course of occupation. A truly inspiring and life involving activity to be sure, but a career does not a life define.

Dec 09 09 09:48 pm Link

Model

sibila

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Star Child wrote:

Med school is gateway to a career - a chosen course of occupation. A truly inspiring and life involving activity to be sure, but a career does not a life define.

true that... goodly worded.

Dec 09 09 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

BC photos

Los Angeles, California, US

Mmmm feeling pretty down at the moment missing my mom feeling a little lonely. She passed a few years ago there will always be a little part of me missing. Thought I'd drop on by this thread since many people here know how it feels to be depressed.

Dec 09 09 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

BC photos wrote:
Mmmm feeling pretty down at the moment missing my mom feeling a little lonely. She passed a few years ago there will always be a little part of me missing. Thought I'd drop on by this thread since many people here know how it feels to be depressed.

I can so relate. Lost my mum in early '07. It was Christmas eve 3 years ago when my sister had to rush her to the hospital. She never really got much better and passed away in February.
Then this time last year pretty much the same thing for my other sister. She spent Christmas and New Years in the hospital.  She came home two days before my birthday in January. The next day it was back to the hospital where she passed that evening.

I had struggled with depression for quite some time, but when Momma went home that event kicked it into high gear. Things got really bad for me so I finally sought help.

The holidays are family times and when still feeling the loss of a loved one who has passed it's so rough. Please hang around and chat it up with us here.  Feel free to PM just about any of us. Phone numbers get exchanged and things. We stick by.  We know what it's like.

*huggs*

Dec 10 09 03:00 am Link

Model

Natasha240

BC photos wrote:

Hi and Hugs.

This time of year is rough. If you ever just wanna chat PM me. I'm glad you came by here, it's a good group of people.

Dec 10 09 12:11 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Oh man.

I am trying to sue my sister to get my dads things back. They have no monetary value, just sentimental. I thought I could file in MD where I live, and it is very easy, and costs $22. I spent two hours yesterday morning filling out the forms to file.

I then found out that I have to file in NJ where she lives. The process is MUCh more difficult in NJ, and the cost just to file is $200. I don't have that kind of money. I don't know what to do, I just want my daddys things. I just got his ashes last night, it's been rough.

Dec 10 09 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Natasha240 wrote:
Oh man.

I am trying to sue my sister to get my dads things back. They have no monetary value, just sentimental. I thought I could file in MD where I live, and it is very easy, and costs $22. I spent two hours yesterday morning filling out the forms to file.

I then found out that I have to file in NJ where she lives. The process is MUCh more difficult in NJ, and the cost just to file is $200. I don't have that kind of money. I don't know what to do, I just want my daddys things. I just got his ashes last night, it's been rough.

/hugs

You'll get them back.  even if you don't believe in karma, doing shitty things will come back and wack them in the head, sooner or later.  Or you could do what i did when my mother stole some of my grandmother's things - Go steal em back! lol.  Technically it wasn't stealing because they were my inheritance anyway, and legally mine.

Dec 10 09 12:25 pm Link

Model

Cadence Rose

Greenfield, Massachusetts, US

Star Child wrote:
anybody got a WIN they'd like to mention?

I have a mini-win. I've been talking here lately about seeing a therapist, and I had never got around to actually making a phone call to get myself evaluated, but last Wednesday was the day I decided I HAD to. To make a long story short, something somebody said set me off at work at the end of a long stretch of bad days, and I ended up in the parking lot breathing really fast and gasping, even though I wasn't having problems getting air at all. (I don't know what happened, but I assume it was some sort of attack even though it didn't feel panicky, just strange.) I was really grateful to my bosses (who weren't there at the time) for giving me space until I was ready to talk to them, and when I did, my manager said she wanted to be sure I was getting help and didn't get me in trouble for leaving the floor.

Anyway, I left a message at a place I used to go to for therapy when I was younger, so hopefully they will call me back so I can get some help. Lately work has been okay and I have been feeling good, but usually I will feel fine for a few weeks and my performance at work goes way up, then I feel upset and unmotivated again. So while I'm feeling good I catch myself thinking, "I don't need therapy" but I have to remind myself that I DO need help, because I'm going to regret not getting it next time I have a situation at work like I did last week.

Dec 10 09 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Natasha240 wrote:
Oh man.

*huggs*
I don't know, but I do know it will happen whether it be by you suddenly getting that kind of money or by some other means, but you will get them. Hang in there. Sounds like right now is a time to take a breather, but it's gonna work out.

Dec 10 09 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

- Rose - wrote:

I have a mini-win. I've been talking here lately about seeing a therapist, and I had never got around to actually making a phone call to get myself evaluated, but last Wednesday was the day I decided I HAD to. To make a long story short, something somebody said set me off at work at the end of a long stretch of bad days, and I ended up in the parking lot breathing really fast and gasping, even though I wasn't having problems getting air at all. (I don't know what happened, but I assume it was some sort of attack even though it didn't feel panicky, just strange.) I was really grateful to my bosses (who weren't there at the time) for giving me space until I was ready to talk to them, and when I did, my manager said she wanted to be sure I was getting help and didn't get me in trouble for leaving the floor.

Anyway, I left a message at a place I used to go to for therapy when I was younger, so hopefully they will call me back so I can get some help. Lately work has been okay and I have been feeling good, but usually I will feel fine for a few weeks and my performance at work goes way up, then I feel upset and unmotivated again. So while I'm feeling good I catch myself thinking, "I don't need therapy" but I have to remind myself that I DO need help, because I'm going to regret not getting it next time I have a situation at work like I did last week.

*huggs* smile
Glad you took that step. Each step we make in a positive direction is a big win 'cause taking steps can be so hard. I know.

Does your job have an Employee Assistance Program? That is how I made my initial step to getting professional help.

Also, it's great to see you again. smile

Dec 10 09 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Natasha240 wrote:
Oh man.

Got a PayPal account? smile

Dec 10 09 01:54 pm Link

Model

Cadence Rose

Greenfield, Massachusetts, US

Star Child wrote:

*huggs* smile
Glad you took that step. Each step we make in a positive direction is a big win 'cause taking steps can be so hard. I know.

Does your job have an Employee Assistance Program? That is how I made my initial step to getting professional help.

Also, it's great to see you again. smile

Hmmm, I doubt it. I have the basic free health insurance from being in foster care, and the place I'm looking into accepts it. So I hopefully won't have to pay too much or any at all. smile

Dec 10 09 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

BC photos

Natasha240 wrote:
Oh man.

Thanks for your encouraging words. I am sorry to hear you are going through so much, I know its hard just loosing someone and to have the added stress is not easy. I hope things work out for you, I hope she comes around. I know how important it is to have the things that are important to you when it comes to loosing someone.

I remember when my mom passed her voice was on my parent's answering machine, I asked my dad to record her voice before he deleted it. I didn't want to forget the sound of her voice and wanted to be able to play it back whenever I wanted. He decided to delete it without recording it. When I was upset and asked why he told me I just need to move on and that he didn't think it would be helpful to me. All of us grieve in our own ways and till this day I wish I had it, so I know how important the sentimental things are. I wish you the best and you will be in my prayers.

Dec 11 09 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

I had a win today!  Or technically yesterday.  I made my very first print sale! big_smile

Dec 11 09 12:18 am Link

Photographer

BC photos

Dannielle Levan wrote:
I had a win today!  Or technically yesterday.  I made my very first print sale! big_smile

Wow congrats!!!! That's cool

Dec 11 09 12:20 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

BC photos wrote:

Wow congrats!!!! That's cool

Thanks!  I'm still high from it. I just recently researched my lil ass off, with how to best optimize my Etsy shop, marketing etc and implemented a bunch of stuff.  And it worked!  Insane.  Like a day after i changed my whole shopfront around.

Dec 11 09 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Dannielle Levan wrote:

YAAAY! Time for the happy dance! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Congratulations. smile

Dec 11 09 03:43 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

while I prefer not to share here, please feel free to message me if anyone needs to. no internet at home, just my phone and limited phone internet so I'm rather limited

if anyone would like my email, I'll be more than happy to PM it to you

Dec 11 09 07:21 am Link

Model

Natasha240

Got a PayPal account? smile

Thanks for the offer Mike, I could not accept that. You are very sweet and thoughtful, thank you.

Dec 11 09 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Natasha240 wrote:

Thanks for the offer Mike, I could not accept that. You are very sweet and thoughtful, thank you.

smile

Dec 11 09 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

- Rose - wrote:

Hmmm, I doubt it. I have the basic free health insurance from being in foster care, and the place I'm looking into accepts it. So I hopefully won't have to pay too much or any at all. smile

big_smile

Dec 11 09 10:25 am Link

Model

Natasha240

good news/bad news. Fingers crossed. X

Dec 11 09 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Natasha240 wrote:
good news/bad news. Fingers crossed. X

My fingers are always crossed for you, so I'm sending up extra prayers.

Dec 11 09 07:41 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Lawrence Guy wrote:

My fingers are always crossed for you, so I'm sending up extra prayers.

Thanks love.

It's sad, that apparently this thread has a reputation on MM that all we talk about is wanting to kill ourselves. So much good comes out of here.

But I guess, wherever people can get the support they need, be it in a seperate thread, that is a good thing.

Dec 11 09 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Natasha240 wrote:
Thanks love.

It's sad, that apparently this thread has a reputation on MM that all we talk about is wanting to kill ourselves. So much good comes out of here.

But I guess, wherever people can get the support they need, be it in a seperate thread, that is a good thing.

Now that I think about it, the title and OP of this thread can be scary.  People wouldn't be talking about creating a new thread if they didn't feel a real need for one.

Anyway, we are not the guardians of mental health, so if there's a new thread started we might as well support it with the same amount of care and love that we support this one.

Dec 11 09 08:30 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Lawrence Guy wrote:

Now that I think about it, the title and OP of this thread can be scary.  People wouldn't be talking about creating a new thread if they didn't feel a real need for one.

Anyway, we are not the guardians of mental health, so if there's a new thread started we might as well support it with the same amount of care and love that we support this one.

agreed.

Dec 11 09 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

YAAAY! Time for the happy dance! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Congratulations. smile

big_smile
ty

Natasha240 wrote:

So true.  and we're all suicidal nut bags for posting here, apparently.

Dec 12 09 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:

Yeah, see one has to be aware of the incident which spurred this thread. At the time the title and OP made much sense, but as time has gone on we really are dealing with matters of depression and mental health more than the subject of suicide and the violence part is basically non-existent.
The OP meant well when she created it and we have seen so many benefits from this thread so I just stick with it.

Dec 12 09 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Star Child wrote:

Yeah, see one has to be aware of the incident which spurred this thread. At the time the title and OP made much sense, but as time has gone on we really are dealing with matters of depression and mental health more than the subject of suicide and the violence part is basically non-existent.
The OP meant well when she created it and we have seen so many benefits from this thread so I just stick with it.

Right. I remember the reason behind this thread which is why I remembered the thread existed when I felt the need to post here.

I had thought about a new thread for various reasons with a different title. A more inviting title and one where the OP is still around to update any information in the first post. I'd rather not just do it, though, unless the regulars here are all in agreement. Besides, I don't know what to make the title and since that's the only thing that can't be changed later, it's fairly important.

Dec 12 09 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

like cancer the lonliness consumes me more and more each day.
To the point I can barely function,hell there are days I can barely
get out of bed.
I am seeing all over the place Xmas miracles,people talking about spending the
hollidays with.special.people they just met.
People meeting online and traveling to spend the hollidays
with someone they met.
wtf is it that the only.women that.want.to meet up for the hollidays
with me are undesireable on so many levels?
wtf is it a curse to be a great guy and have all these great qualities
that should make me a catch to someone i would like yet be looked upon as trash because of my job and a credit situation caused by my ex.

Dec 12 09 08:17 am Link