Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Suicide and Violence Help Thread

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Solstice Rain wrote:
I think he would benefit from talking to someone as well, but at the moment, I don't see that as a real option for him. And if I'm the one he's reaching out to at the moment, I'm going to be that person for as long as he'll let me. You're right, he's been through a lot and I think too much else would be overwhelming at this point. But I can only offer so much advice and without breaking confidence, I can't get more suggestions.

Maybe you could point out that the criteria for seeking counseling is when your emotional issues interfere with your ability to function normally.  It sounds like he thinks the criteria for getting help is when he's already bought the rope.  But I understand your predicament; trying to help someone over the internet is a challenge.

Dec 07 09 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

I used to work a hotline.......gently urging one to an ER was SOP for us.

Dec 07 09 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Solstice Rain wrote:

I think he would benefit from talking to someone as well, but at the moment, I don't see that as a real option for him. And if I'm the one he's reaching out to at the moment, I'm going to be that person for as long as he'll let me. You're right, he's been through a lot and I think too much else would be overwhelming at this point. But I can only offer so much advice and without breaking confidence, I can't get more suggestions.

Well, let him know he has someone right here in PA nearby who's also willing to help/talk/whatever. I'm alone for holidays also so if you think it might comfort him to know that, then please do.

My email is mikes11 (a) pa.metrocast.net if he wants its.

Dec 07 09 08:06 am Link

Model

Solstice Rain

Davenport, Florida, US

Lawrence Guy wrote:
Maybe you could point out that the criteria for seeking counseling is when your emotional issues interfere with your ability to function normally.  It sounds like he thinks the criteria for getting help is when he's already bought the rope.  But I understand your predicament; trying to help someone over the internet is a challenge.

It's kinda complicated. Cousiling would certainly help. But he has such other urgent needs at the moment that I think it would need to take a back burner. If some of his other needs were met, it would make coping a little easier and his mental health could take a greater focus.

And I will pass on everyone's info who has offered it. The rest is up to him.

Dec 07 09 08:11 am Link

Model

Natasha240

Cassina de' Pecchi, Lombardy, Italy

I just woke up. His account is gone, I tried to PM. Please tell him he can call me, whenever he needs to. I will pm you my number. I hope he is ok.

Dec 07 09 08:36 am Link

Model

Solstice Rain

Davenport, Florida, US

All contact info given to me has been passed on. Thanks guys. smile

Dec 07 09 08:47 am Link

Model

Natasha240

Lawrence, Scott, Kevin, Mike, and everyone else who is on this board, and has reached out to help myself and others since it began, I just want to say I love you. This is a very special community far and above what MM is, and the kindness here is inspirational. Even when I am sinking, now and in the past, I have gotten PMs or read messages here from others reaching out for help. Just talking others off the ledge sometimes helps keep ME off the ledge.

Dec 07 09 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Scottsworld71

Mount Vernon, Ohio, US

Natasha240 wrote:
Lawrence, Scott, Kevin, Mike, and everyone else who is on this board, and has reached out to help myself and others since it began, I just want to say I love you. This is a very special community far and above what MM is, and the kindness here is inspirational. Even when I am sinking, now and in the past, I have gotten PMs or read messages here from others reaching out for help. Just talking others off the ledge sometimes helps keep ME off the ledge.

Dec 07 09 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Natasha240 wrote:

Dec 07 09 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Solstice Rain wrote:

Hang in there with him, Carrie. I know you'll do as much as you can.
Everybody else, please pray or cast up your positive energies for Chris. He's one of our own. Let's do it for him.

Dec 07 09 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Natasha240 wrote:

Dec 07 09 11:25 am Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Middle Island, New York, US

I should be in here often, but I'm not. Im sorry to everyone. I don't even come in to stalk, but I always have love for here. ...................Gabrielle

Dec 07 09 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Also, does anybody have any WINs to mention?

I know of one from yesterday, but I want to give space to the others who were involved to talk about it... hehe.. I already talk too much. tongue

Dec 07 09 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Star Child wrote:

I know of one from yesterday, but I want to give space to the others who were involved to talk about it... hehe.. I already talk too much. tongue

I have like a zillion TF shoots lined up that i'm super excited about. big_smile

Dec 07 09 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Gabrielle Heather wrote:
I should be in here often, but I'm not. Im sorry to everyone. I don't even come in to stalk, but I always have love for here. ...................Gabrielle

Come by when you feel the need. Give what you can. Know that there is always somebody here who cares and is here for you.

*huggs*

Dec 07 09 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

To everybody who comes through and adds to this thread and supports one another...
THANK YOU!

Even though we don't always see it we are making a difference. People are being helped. I know if from personal experience in dealing with friends associated through this thread. I've seen it in the posts. We are helping others. We are making a difference.

Dec 07 09 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

UGH!  I'm sick of not getting any help around the house.  I ask him to do 2 chores and i do the rest.  And he puts it off til i get super upset hmm

Dec 07 09 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Scottsworld71

Mount Vernon, Ohio, US

I have to say, there have been a lot of ups and downs for me, but this group always makes me feel stronger, whether its from my own venting and the understanding of others, random communication, or from time to time,  being in the right place at the right time to provide the shoulder that someone may need. Its easy to forget that sometimes just a few simple words can be a huge help

Dec 07 09 01:13 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Tonight will be very tough...

Dec 07 09 01:40 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

I am saddened by my initial reaction to this thread. My first thought was "what an appropriate site for suicide help". That is more of a grand problem...
I've seen quite a few threads about how ugly people think they are and what their flaws are. I understand part of it is to gain reinforcement that they aren't actually ugly, but it still shows a deeper issue.

Dec 07 09 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Damianne wrote:
I am saddened by my initial reaction to this thread. My first thought was "what an appropriate site for suicide help". That is more of a grand problem...
I've seen quite a few threads about how ugly people think they are and what their flaws are. I understand part of it is to gain reinforcement that they aren't actually ugly, but it still shows a deeper issue.

The main reason I support this thread other than to help others is to show to others that they are not alone.
In this community of artists and associated talent many of us are working through deep personal issues. To me this thread represents a place to state we are here and we care.

Dec 07 09 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Star Child wrote:
To everybody who comes through and adds to this thread and supports one another...
THANK YOU!

Even though we don't always see it we are making a difference. People are being helped. I know if from personal experience in dealing with friends associated through this thread. I've seen it in the posts. We are helping others. We are making a difference.

QFT. I want to extend my THANK YOU!'s to everyone here also. Even if you don't come here often or post much here, it does matter that you care enough to post. This may sound odd, but even sharing your down times may help others. I don't mean it in the "Misery loves company" way, but in the "Understanding lends strength" way.

I feel we are like a family here. Dysfunctional? What family isn't? But at least we acknowledge it, accept it, and help each other beat it back.

{H*U*G*S} all around. https://fc05.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/303/7/f/Group_Hug_by_angelratdesigns.gif

Dec 07 09 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Scottsworld71

Mount Vernon, Ohio, US

Star Child wrote:

The main reason I support this thread other than to help others is to show to others that they are not alone.
In this community of artists and associated talent many of us are working through deep personal issues. To me this thread represents a place to state we are here and we care.

That right there brother! The feeling of being alone, for whatever reason we may be feeling it, is probably one of the worst feelings to deal with.  The outpouring of genuine concern is truly touching and inspiring

Dec 07 09 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Pathogenic Confessions wrote:
Tonight will be very tough...

Stay strong. big_smile We're all behind you.

Dec 07 09 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

BC photos

Los Angeles, California, US

Scottsworld71 wrote:

That right there brother! The feeling of being alone, for whatever reason we may be feeling it, is probably one of the worst feelings to deal with.  The outpouring of genuine concern is truly touching and inspiring

I like this thread, and the support given, how is everyone tonight?

Dec 07 09 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

BC photos wrote:

I like this thread, and the support given, how is everyone tonight?

I'm doin' good other than getting my first lesson on how hard it is to install soft box on lamp head - no rings.

Dec 07 09 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Scottsworld71

Mount Vernon, Ohio, US

doin good, takin a break from COD MW2 for ps3 .. feels like my eyes are on fire

Dec 07 09 08:41 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Star Child wrote:

Sure, I will say this is a win. After just BARELY being able to pull myself together enough to get to work (a million thank yous plus an internet to you Kevin), I got through the day. Win #1

As I was waiting for Danielle to come pick me up, I decided to run across the street to get a cup of coffee. I was still in a funk, not angry, just sad and low. Out of nowhere, my brain SCREAMS at me,"DO SOMETHING NICE FOR A STRANGER RIGHT NOW". I looked around, and saw a guy pouring himself a cup of coffee. I went to the register, and told him that I would like to pay for the other gentlemans coffee too. I paid and left, before he could find out. I did not want any thank you's, I just wanted/needed to do a random act of kindness, just for it's own sake. I have to tell you, it did brighten my mood for a few minutes, and hey! That's something. Maybe it made that guys day better somehow too. Win#2

Part of the thoughts that make my depression worse than they are, is I see and hear about so many negative, awful things in the world. I really felt there was no kindness or good out there, or such a small fraction of a number to not even count. Then it hit me: BE the kindness you wish there was more of in the world! I'm not talking about Mother Teresa or Ghandi type stuff, but simple random acts of kindness. It's a win-win. I feel a little better for doing it, and (I hope) it does the same for the other. Buying a stranger a cup of coffee, telling an overworked/underpaid/overstressed counter person at a fast food place that he can take his time with my order, he's doing a great job. Taking care of an animal forgotten about by most people.

This is a new philosophy I am going to use as a coping skill everyday. I am going to REFUSE to focus on all of the negativity, and I am going to focus on others positivity, and create some myself.

SO TAKE THAT UNIVERSE!

Dec 07 09 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

Star Child wrote:
THANK YOU!

You're welcome.  I'm hear for people as well. There have been times where I was desperate and the people on this thread really helped.

Dec 08 09 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Alexandria Georgiades

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

Natasha240 wrote:

Sure, I will say this is a win. After just BARELY being able to pull myself together enough to get to work (a million thank yous plus an internet to you Kevin), I got through the day. Win #1

As I was waiting for Danielle to come pick me up, I decided to run across the street to get a cup of coffee. I was still in a funk, not angry, just sad and low. Out of nowhere, my brain SCREAMS at me,"DO SOMETHING NICE FOR A STRANGER RIGHT NOW". I looked around, and saw a guy pouring himself a cup of coffee. I went to the register, and told him that I would like to pay for the other gentlemans coffee too. I paid and left, before he could find out. I did not want any thank you's, I just wanted/needed to do a random act of kindness, just for it's own sake. I have to tell you, it did brighten my mood for a few minutes, and hey! That's something. Maybe it made that guys day better somehow too. Win#2

Part of the thoughts that make my depression worse than they are, is I see and hear about so many negative, awful things in the world. I really felt there was no kindness or good out there, or such a small fraction of a number to not even count. Then it hit me: BE the kindness you wish there was more of in the world! I'm not talking about Mother Teresa or Ghandi type stuff, but simple random acts of kindness. It's a win-win. I feel a little better for doing it, and (I hope) it does the same for the other. Buying a stranger a cup of coffee, telling an overworked/underpaid/overstressed counter person at a fast food place that he can take his time with my order, he's doing a great job. Taking care of an animal forgotten about by most people.

This is a new philosophy I am going to use as a coping skill everyday. I am going to REFUSE to focus on all of the negativity, and I am going to focus on others positivity, and create some myself.

SO TAKE THAT UNIVERSE!

It makes a world of difference, Natasha. Good for you.

Dec 08 09 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Natasha240 wrote:

SO TAKE THAT UNIVERSE!

You're awesome! Thank you. I've done the same and it feels great.

I also think that in the coming year you're going to see more of this. smile

Dec 08 09 02:51 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

Natasha240 wrote:

SO TAKE THAT UNIVERSE!

Awesome! I've gone and bought steaming cups of hot chocolate for the salvation army bell ringers on cold days. (hot chocolate because not everyone drinks coffee) The surprise on their face when you hand it to them is enough to put a smile on mine. smile Holidays are really hard for me. I lost my father 4 days after christmas. From Thanksgiving on I usually feel like part of me is perpetually dying. Doing things to help others is the sometimes the only way I get through.

Dec 08 09 04:28 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Natasha240 wrote:

Dec 08 09 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

This is awesome: we should make it our mascot.

Photons 2 Pixels Images wrote:
https://fc05.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/303/7/f/Group_Hug_by_angelratdesigns.gif

Dec 08 09 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Natasha240 wrote:

SO TAKE THAT UNIVERSE!

OMG!!! This is so awesome!!!
You are every bit of powerful and fantastic as we talked about!!!!
big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for this huge accomplishment! You've come so far in just a year!
*huggs, huggs, huggs*
*does funky turtle dance*

Dec 08 09 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

Natasha240 wrote:
Then it hit me: BE the kindness you wish there was more of in the world!

I had a similar epiphany back during my bad crisis.  I was thinking metaphorically, and asked myself why I was incapable of just stopping and smelling the roses.  The hopeless side of me responded "because there are no roses!"

Well, I stopped dead in my tracks.  I realized that it was a perception issue; there are roses all around us if we make the effort to find them.  And if we don't find them, then we can damn well create them ourselves.

It was a little thing - about 10 seconds of thought - but it was, for me, very profound, and went a long way toward helping me heal in the long run.

Dec 08 09 01:37 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Yesterday was the absolute hardest day of my life.

But, I am hopeful that what I did yesterday will only change my life for the better

Dec 08 09 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yesterday was the absolute hardest day of my life.

But, I am hopeful that what I did yesterday will only change my life for the better

what did you do?

Dec 08 09 02:31 pm Link

Model

Pathogenic Confessions

Racine, Minnesota, US

Star Child wrote:

what did you do?

I spoke with my therapist about an abuse that I don't talk to anyone about.  My fiance and I have only talked about it twice since we have been together and no one else knew.

I was such a wreck yesterday when i walked into her office, she even asked if I had been suicidal.

Dec 08 09 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I spoke with my therapist about an abuse that I don't talk to anyone about.  My fiance and I have only talked about it twice since we have been together and no one else knew.

I was such a wreck yesterday when i walked into her office, she even asked if I had been suicidal.

big big step. bravo!

Dec 08 09 02:35 pm Link