Forums > General Industry > Does shooting turn you on?

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

The moments of shooting themselves are very "in-the-zone" for me...and while part of me is still in tune with the appeal and allure of the environment, it's more fixated on the technicalities (pose, lighting that catches/accentuates body parts, proper exposure/concealment to tease). As mentioned by the OP though, the breaks usually let in all the neglected built-up excitement...and the post-shoot editing certainly fits the bill (I'd be upset if it didn't).

This, of course, changes in intensity depending on the chemistry between the model and photographer.

Dec 13 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Dec 13 06 02:23 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Like an open Rose

Los Angeles, California, US

yes.

Dec 13 06 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Amanda Padilla wrote:
Yes, and I think they wanted me to see it, I know they wanted me to see, they all had a big smile on there face like "HEY LOOK WHAT I GOT FOR YOU"

LOL

Now, that is bad. sad

Dec 13 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Richmond Body Art

Richmond, Virginia, US

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:
nope i don't have that problem

Same here is that good or bad I wonder somtimes...

Dec 13 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

You know whats funny? A photographer posted a very similar thread yesterday, and a lot of people called him a pervert and ripped him apart. Yet a beautiful model posts and most people see nothing wrong.

Dec 13 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Howard Search

Brunswick, Maine, US

Amanda Padilla wrote:
Iv seen some of the men I worked with get woodys

Thought you were supposed to look at the camera...

....  but seriously folks,

I find my energy levels are high when doing a shoot.  Maybe it's the creativity or the challenge of making something really special... could be both and more.  When I am doing something with my camera, I just feel good.  Put a beautiful woman in front of the lens and it's even better.

Dec 13 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Mia Salen wrote:

You just get a feeling.  There are certain cues.  Art is supposed to be art, not a turn on.  Especially not when shooting.

Art IS supposed to be a turn on. A turn on as in, it is supposed to evoke some sort of feeling/emotion. And when you take sexy pictures it is supposed to evoke a sexy feeling.

Dec 13 06 10:54 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

MsChris wrote:
For some reason photoshoots turn me on like crazy. Sometimes I don't really realize it until I'm driving home, but almost always my husband gets mauled when I get home from a shoot. Does this happen with anyone else?

You must have gotten so many requests to shoot by now...

Dec 13 06 10:57 am Link

Model

Kahryn

New Haven, Connecticut, US

You know whats funny? A photographer posted a very similar thread yesterday, and a lot of people called him a pervert and ripped him apart. Yet a beautiful model posts and most people see nothing wrong.

Yeah, Well maybe society looks down on old men lusting after young girls in the hope of seeing some tittys. If not a shot then at least allowing themselves the free reign to spue filth at young beautiful girls and women in order to heighten the fantasy. Either way you look at it people can't get accustomed  to old men learing/drooling at their daughters. Of course most will take a peek when and if they can but thats different right?

Dec 13 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Daniela V wrote:

You must have gotten so many requests to shoot by now...

My mission is to shoot with you, and then you tell me afterwards, that you didn't get turned on. I really don't think you would be able to help it since I am soo sexy.

Dec 13 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Frog516 wrote:

My mission is to shoot with you, and then you tell me afterwards, that you didn't get turned on. I really don't think you would be able to help it since I am soo sexy.

Gee, no ego there.. LOL

Dec 13 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

Gee, no ego there.. LOL

Women find over inflated egos sexy.

Dec 13 06 11:05 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Frog516 wrote:

Women find over inflated egos sexy.

No they don't. That's a myth you egotistical men believe.

Dec 13 06 11:06 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Frog516 wrote:

Money turns me on.

Dec 13 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Daniela V wrote:

Money turns me on.

I have lots of money too.

Dec 13 06 11:08 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Frog516 wrote:

I have lots of money too.

I thought you didn't and that's why we haven't scheduled a shoot wink

j/k

Dec 13 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Daniela V wrote:

No they don't. That's a myth you egotistical men believe.

If, in fact, it's a myth it's a myth propogated by the fact that women seem to continually go for the 'cocky type'.

Dec 13 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Daniela V wrote:

I thought you didn't and that's why we haven't scheduled a shoot wink

j/k

I am not very liquid at the moment, I have all my money tied up in long term investments. Such as the beer in my fridge, and my piece of shit car I am restoring, plus all the guitars I buy, that I can't play for shit.

Dec 13 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

MsChris wrote:
I find it hard to believe that any red blooded male photographer isn't turned on at all by shooting nude or scantily clad young women.

Difference in turned on and enjoying the experience. I can't say I get turned on because at the time it is too much work going on and too much to watch with poses and just shooting. Plus since I mostly work with non-professionals their experience probably keeps the heat in the studio down.

The smells the models bring to the shoot are also very enjoyable. Some really wear some nice perfume!

Dec 13 06 11:18 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

If, in fact, it's a myth it's a myth propogated by the fact that women seem to continually go for the 'cocky type'.

So that's what you guys keep telling yourselves...

We like CONFIDENCE...not EGOS.

The two are not the same.

Dec 13 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Daniela V wrote:

So that's what you guys keep telling yourselves...

We like CONFIDENCE...not EGOS.

The two are not the same.

I am confidant that I have an ego problem

Dec 13 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

Generally, I don't get turned on during a photo shoot. I'm just trying to concentrate on getting the best pictures that I can for the models. The only times I do get turned on, is when I'm doing a photo shoot with my wife.

Dec 13 06 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

nudeartproject wrote:
Generally, I don't get turned on during a photo shoot. I'm just trying to concentrate on getting the best pictures that I can for the models. The only times I do get turned on, is when I'm doing a photo shoot with my wife.

Man I was going to say something funny, but I don't want it to be taken the wrong way.

Dec 13 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Millich

Carmel, Indiana, US

This girl ain't dumb...at all!
Her inbox is probably floded with offers for work from photographers from all 50 states.
Way to promote yourself!!!

Dec 13 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Hice Image Works

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

This thread has most likely spun way off topic by this point, not gonna read 4 pages to find out, but personally... no not at all. I am so focused on lighting, framing, etc that the last thing I normally realize is that there is a half or fully naked girl sitting in the room. I know another human is there, I get the shots so that is proof of that but there is no time for me to become a GWC and pop a woody, that's just not in the play book...

Dec 13 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I find it Hilarious that in a similar thread when a photographer (no it wasn't me) mentioned that he felt intimacy for the models he worked with, the board lit him up.  He was called unprofessional and accused of being a pervert.  He was not talking about sex, but that special connection that can on occasion arise when two like minded people work on a creative endeavour together.

He was treated like molester of some kind for suggesting that there is something special that occurs on those occasions.  BUT....when a model openly says that she gets turned on sexually from during a shoot that's fine with everyone.

Have I gotten turned on during a shoot?  I'm sure I have. 
I am too busy working on the lighting, props, positioning, etc to get so aroused that I would get a "woody".

I think that the arousal is part of catching that perfect shot. 
I was doing some editorial work a few weeks ago that put me as the only photographer during a hostage situation.  I was aroused by getting the shot of the swat team going in.  I was aroused knowing that I was the only person in position to get photos of the suspects face. ( NO....I didn't have a "woody")
There is an excitement that goes with capturing the image.
An emergency situation
Lightning
The perfect sunset
A wild animal in nature
The perfect pose with the perfect model

Are there any other photographers that agree with me? 
I may just be a FREAK.

Dec 13 06 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Bill Cowen Photography

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I agree with the photographers that say they're too busy thinking about getting the right shot. I get turned on in the way that I'm doing something I love, but that's not a sexual turn on. I get the same charge if I'm shooting a scenic shot in a perfect location like the Rockies or Death Valley.
In fact, photography has kind of ruined looking at pictures of beautiful women for me. If I see a shot of a really hot woman, I'm thinking 'Wow, great lighting.. wonder how he got that?' or 'what was the photog thinking? that shot is all wrong'
Also, the last thing in the world I want is to be considered a GWC.

Dec 13 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Erwyn L

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ask jackie C if I got a woody. lol.

Dec 13 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Bill Cowen Photography wrote:
I get turned on in the way that I'm doing something I love, but that's not a sexual turn on. I get the same charge if I'm shooting a scenic shot in a perfect location like the Rockies or Death Valley.

OK good....it's not just me.

Dec 13 06 11:53 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Nihilus wrote:

I dont understand the posting of numbers....

Dec 13 06 11:57 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SickShooter wrote:

ditto

Dec 13 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

SickShooter wrote:

because the forum gets stuck when it goes to a new page. like post #40 won't show up until some one post the 41st post.

Dec 13 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

-Nope. Too busy trying to get the perfect shot.

Dec 13 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

SickShooter wrote:

There is a bug displaying the next page on MM.  You have 40 messages per page.  If you post the 41st, the next page will not get displayed until the 42nd is posted.  This is just a quick way of bumping the post count.

Dec 13 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

It still hasn't gotten any better. Threads like this are perfect explanation why the majority here will never be any good.

Dec 13 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

Daniela V wrote:

Money turns me on.

well then you'd be sliding off your chair at the four seasons with me wouldnt you suppose?

Dec 13 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Magic Image Photography

Temple City, California, US

All i can say is.....enjoy the moment times like this don't come often unless your a lucky photog like myself.

Dec 13 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Daniela V wrote:
Money turns me on.

Ah crap! ... you just killed my inspiration

Dec 13 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey Yan

La Habra, California, US

neoracer_xox wrote:
-Nope. Too busy trying to get the perfect shot.

x2

I rarely even get to enjoy how the model looks when I'm shooting. I can only appreciate how she looks once I'm in post processing... sad

Dec 13 06 12:23 pm Link