Forums > General Industry > They don't shoot with BLACK photographers???

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:

We are not all that way , some of us even have soul smile

You definately got soul and balance too.  Get on girl!  ; }

Nov 28 06 02:54 pm Link

Model

Candy Poses

Seattle, Washington, US

Random Beauty wrote:
Lmao about the 100% sexy looking! I would so say that! But sumtimes for certain projects the photographer might be looking for a certain race or look.

Well, yes- but if you've seen my portfolio, you can pretty much tell what I look like.  The photographer didn't mention a special project  ("model minorities in america," or something).  He just asked, "what race are you?"

Nov 28 06 02:54 pm Link

Model

Elle Chanel

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Christopher N. wrote:
Being black myself I've gotten the occasional "I didn't know you were..." or even the slightly disturbing "Gee you didn't sound black on the phone....".

i get that phone thing alot

Nov 28 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

RAW-R IMAGE

Los Angeles, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Funny. Speaking of irrelevant, many models who never see your face will jump all over your port aka jock it, want to shoot but never have a clue that you are black. Trust me, some will let you know that they are surprised that you are. You'll know by their actions.

I'm surprised you're black 'cause you shoot like a whiteboy!!!

Ha-ha-ha
just kiddin' 'cause couldn't pass it up!

Nov 28 06 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Gaylord Hill wrote:

Ha-ha-ha

Legasys is white - from the navel down.

Nov 28 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
IM'AGE.. I'm not going to feed into your idiotic train of thought in regards to this post to help boost your thread post count. I'm done responding to you on this matter but I will finish with you by stating that I guess the other photographers that had models show up and not even get out the car are liars too?

I can see now you have a narrow point of view...I never called you a liar... you hear and see only what you want to... then slant it to what suits you. I'm not looking to change your feelings... just don't see a reason to play the race card if one doesn't exist. You got issues and they're your issues, not mine.

If this subject hits so close to home why don't you out her on your NO-SHOW FLAKE BLOG???
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea … d11dc5523c

which BTW was Last Updated: Nov 27, 2006

This thread is dead to me... (this is what I get for trying to broach a serious subject)

--- back to the real world

Nov 28 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Walker

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Frog516 wrote:

Are you freakin kidding me? A model actually refused a shot because you are black?

A black model once refused a shoot with me because I'm white.

Nov 28 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Graham Walker wrote:

A black model once refused a shoot with me because I'm white.

No one ever said stupidity is limited.

Nov 28 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
WTF is wrong with some of these white llamas?? You dumb asses.. I experienced just a small wiff of this type of prejudice over the weekend.. Anyone else care to share their thoughts???

I'll share some thoughts.

1. It doesn't appear that you confronted the llama in question.  Therefore,

2. You don't know that in this case race was an issue.

3. Until you get the stones to confront the source, a thread like this only shows the shortsightedness of the masses, and lack of wisdom on your part.

4. If the llama is indeed prejudiced, BFD. Her problem, not yours.  Do you not know who you are?

Nov 28 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Frog516 wrote:

Are you freakin kidding me? A model actually refused a shot because you are black?

Happened to me here on MM three times (that I know about).

Nov 28 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

00siris wrote:
Happened to me here on MM three times (that I know about).

How did you find out this was the case?

Nov 28 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

yes some are because of perception of fear from one and perception of safe with another. Nightlne showed a test that they did with some white kids at a elementary school. They showed a series of black and white people on video/slide asking them who looks safe and who didn't.

They first showed a black guy, who had a frown on his face, the other was straight face shot of a white man. Anyways, the kids said that the white looked safe and that the black man looke dangerous. Long story short, the black man is a young harvard professor who was frowing because the sun ws in his eyes. The white guy was Tymothy McVeigh. American Terrorist.

Excellent post.  Some here aren't being honest.  The race of the photographer is
a issue to many models for lots of reasons.  To say it in a thread models would
appear racist and I don't think most are.  Its all about the unknown.  Many
White people have limited Black friends.  Quite often a shoot may involve nude
or partial nudes.  It may be being alone with the photographer or in very sexy
clothing.  All this spells less comfort.

Nov 28 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Whetzel Photos

Longwood, Florida, US

You have a great portfolio I would not let it get the best of you. Fortunately they are a select few.

Nov 28 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kris Perry Photography

Placentia, California, US

Sad times we are in when in 2006 this is still an issue, but i'm not surprised.

This is who I am! Does it matter what I look like or how I work the camera? I wouldn't want to shoot with someone of any race if they are that concerned about what race someone might be. Now you all can see me! My port should speak for itself. I guess that does not matter anymore.

https://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i147/krisperry72/perryatwork.jpg

Nov 28 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Daguerre wrote:

How did you find out this was the case?

I see where you're going.

Each case at some point during interaction in setting up for a shoot the model would oddly ask something like "What's your race?" and, I kid you not, when I told them, they never responded to me again.

Sure they were polite on the last discussion or response to me (I guess in an attempt to throw off the scent - IN THEIR MINDS). But rest assured, that would be their last correspondence.

Nov 28 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

ChicagoPhoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

lotusphoto wrote:

if you look at the news, that's what you see, ie:dwb, driving while black, 30% of all black men in the usa are in the system, probation or in-house, is it wrong? of course it's wrong, does it create an impression? yes

That is such a racist BS argument used by people who seek to "profile" black men and excuse their own racism. Look. This pointless Iraq War, Watergate, Enron, the Manson Killings, Jim Crow, the Klan, World War I and II, and the list goes on, were ALL started by white men. But you don't see me running away at the sight of white males. Why? Because I'm enlightened enough to know not all white men  going to invade me, kill me, drop atomic bombs on me or steal my retirement investments. Please.

Nov 28 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Kris Perry Photography wrote:

This is who I am! Does it matter what I look like or how I work the camera? I wouldn't want to shoot with someone of any race if they are that concerned about what race someone might be. Now you all can see me! My port should speak for itself. I guess that does not matter anymore.

get a real name, like Ice Cube.

Nov 28 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bobby Mozumder

Rockville, Connecticut, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

yes some are because of perception of fear from one and perception of safe with another. Nightlne showed a test that they did with some white kids at a elementary school. They showed a series of black and white people on video/slide asking them who looks safe and who didn't.

They first showed a black guy, who had a frown on his face, the other was straight face shot of a white man. Anyways, the kids said that the white looked safe and that the black man looke dangerous. Long story short, the black man is a young harvard professor who was frowing because the sun ws in his eyes. The white guy was Tymothy McVeigh. American Terrorist.

It'd be interesting to see a study that did this for very young infants, to determine if racism is instinctive.  I know of a recent study that indicated beauty is instinctive - where they show infants 2 pictures, one of a pretty person and one of an ugly person, and infants would stare longer at the pretty person, indicating instinctive beauty.  I'd like to see some race-based study like that, factoring out as much external issues as possible (environment, lighting, noise, etc..) to see if racism is really instinctive or developed.  I'm sure there must have been studies like this done already??  (I personally find I stare quite a bit at Kifaya's pics... soo pretty =^)

Meanwhile, I still would like to shoot an asian, an indian, a hispanic, and a redhead to complete my port.. =^)

Nov 28 06 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Gaylord Hill wrote:

Ha-ha-ha

God! that is so racist! Lmao!

don't make me go and put some booty shots on here. I can put it down like that too. ;o)

Nov 28 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

Legasys is white - from the navel down.

God the racist attacks on me. Can't we all just get alone?

Nov 28 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tandango

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Im'age NY (INY) wrote:

I can see now you have a narrow point of view...I never called you a liar... you hear and see only what you want to... then slant it to what suits you. I'm not looking to change your feelings... just don't see a reason to play the race card if one doesn't exist. You got issues and they're your issues, not mine.

If this subject hits so close to home why don't you out her on your NO-SHOW FLAKE BLOG???
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea … d11dc5523c

which BTW was Last Updated: Nov 27, 2006

This thread is dead to me... (this is what I get for trying to broach a serious subject)

--- back to the real world

Just another flake, move on.  We all have to deal with them.

Nov 28 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Excellent post.  Some here aren't being honest.  The race of the photographer is
a issue to many models for lots of reasons.  To say it in a thread models would
appear racist and I don't think most are.  Its all about the unknown.  Many
White people have limited Black friends.  Quite often a shoot may involve nude
or partial nudes.  It may be being alone with the photographer or in very sexy
clothing.  All this spells less comfort.

this is true. although i have had white, black and asian female change right in front me, it's not a common thing. but many aren't going for it and it has nothing to do with being uncomfortable with a photographer in general. Many fear that you are going to pull that Mandingo Vodoo on them. Lol. And for some, that fear may just be a desire.

Nov 28 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

ChicagoPhoto wrote:

That is such a racist BS argument used by people who seek to "profile" black men and excuse their own racism. Look. This pointless Iraq War, Watergate, Enron, the Manson Killings, Jim Crow, the Klan, World War I and II, and the list goes on, were ALL started by white men. But you don't see me running away at the sight of white males. Why? Because I'm enlightened enough to know not all white men  going to invade me, kill me, drop atomic bombs on me or steal my retirement investments. Please.

i was trying to point out the racist bias of the media and how it creates a racist attitude in individuals.. which reinforces the racial bias in the cops, which.. etc etc..

sorry if what i said was bothersome, my intention was the opposite..

Nov 28 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Legacys 7 wrote:
this is true. although i have had white, black and asian female change right in front me, it's not a common thing. but many aren't going for it and it has nothing to do with being uncomfortable with a photographer in general. Many fear that you are going to pull that Mandingo Vodoo!!! on them. Lol. And for some, that fear may just be a desire.

we could, in fact beyond just getting along, i'll be your friend..

you have to each me mandingo voodoo first..

but afterwards i'll be your pal forever

Nov 28 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Bobby Mozumder wrote:

It'd be interesting to see a study that did this for very young infants, to determine if racism is instinctive.  I know of a recent study that indicated beauty is instinctive - where they show infants 2 pictures, one of a pretty person and one of an ugly person, and infants would stare longer at the pretty person, indicating instinctive beauty.  I'd like to see some race-based study like that, factoring out as much external issues as possible (environment, lighting, noise, etc..) to see if racism is really instinctive or developed.  I'm sure there must have been studies like this done already??  (I personally find I stare quite a bit at Kifaya's pics... soo pretty =^)

Meanwhile, I still would like to shoot an asian, an indian, a hispanic, and a redhead to complete my port.. =^)

I wonder if it's more about what they are use to seeing or being around vs instinctive beauty. Example, my nephew when he was a baby wasn't use to being around me because I wasn't around him living in another State. He cried for the longest. He finally got use to seeing me. My younger brother wasn't a problem. My brother beneath me, he was terrified of him too. Same reason, he wasn't around him. Funny, I remember when my brother came in, my nephew ran to me and fell apart. It was so funny.

As for the test, no. When I see little babies, they don't see color. It's funny how a baby, if be white, black, Asian etc..They will like you or fear you. Color is never the issue. That is what is so sad, how kids can laugh, smile at you and never see the color of you but the human nature. You ever noticed how the instincts are there? when a black baby and a white baby know that they are both babies, they automatically interact with one another. I find this to be very beautiful.

Racism is a condition to the mind and spirit from other humans.

Nov 28 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

lotusphoto wrote:

Legacys 7 wrote:

we could, in fact beyond just getting along, i'll be your friend..

you have to each me mandingo voodoo first..

but afterwards i'll be your pal forever

\

u mean teach me? some things aren't meant to be tought. I don't know Lotus, that dress scared me. I wish that I can find a terrified icon around here to post. yikes)

Nov 28 06 04:45 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

I've experienced white people not wanting to work with me cuz im black, both as a model and photographer, but alot were okay with it.....

and some top photographers are black by the way.....

Nov 28 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
\

u mean teach me? some things aren't meant to be tought. I don't know Lotus, that dress scared me. I wish that I can find a terrified icon around here to post. yikes)

dont worry, i will use my newfound powers for good and not evil..

Nov 28 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

lotusphoto wrote:

dont worry, i will use my newfound powers for good and not evil..

Sorry Robin, the Dark Knight can't reveal all.

Nov 28 06 04:49 pm Link

Model

HeatherLynne

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

What a photographer looks like or what race he or she is has never mattered to me.  My concern is the quality of pic's I'm going to get from them.  I have shot with photographers from alot of different races and genders and never cared what they looked like.  I look at thier work and decide if I like what they do and if I want thier work in my portfolio.  I would have missed out on meeting and working with alot of really nice and talented people if I had let anything other than the quality of thier work infulence my decision on working with them or not.

Nov 28 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Sorry Robin, the Dark Knight can't reveal all.

here's an anigif...

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/GKMcNeil/web%20stuff/Bolt.gif

now?

Nov 28 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

HeatherLynne wrote:
What a photographer looks like or what race he or she is has never mattered to me.  My concern is the quality of pic's I'm going to get from them.  I have shot with photographers from alot of different races and genders and never cared what they looked like.  I look at thier work and decide if I like what they do and if I want thier work in my portfolio.  I would have missed out on meeting and working with alot of really nice and talented people if I had let anything other than the quality of thier work infulence my decision on working with them or not.

this is true. so come and shoot with me and we can rule this world. just  u and me baby! we can do this!

Nov 28 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

lotusphoto wrote:

here's an anigif...

https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e88/GKMcNeil/web%20stuff/Bolt.gif

now?

niiice. I can use that one.

Nov 28 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Well said, KP. I always admire your work and it would be a pitty for anyone to not work with you, redardless of the reason.

For the record, I am yellow. smile So, I both black and white could refuse to work with me because I am in the middle. So far, that hasn't happen. big_smile

Nov 28 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

I don't know, that look in your eyes says , 'your ass better shoot with me, or else.'

Nov 28 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

niiice. I can use that one.

so, you'll teach me then..

Nov 28 06 04:58 pm Link

Model

HeatherLynne

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

To Legacys 7  if you were closer to me we could shoot but California is a bit far for me to drive and be home in time to be at work on Monday morning.  Now if you ever decide to make a trip this way on the weekend (since I work durring the week) let me know and we can shoot.

Nov 28 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Faith Bowman

New York, New York, US

LMFAO!!!!!

1) http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea … d11dc5523c

2) i'm black...and i dress weird and have nappy hair. from now til the end of school it will please me to see people just got aaahhhhh....soooooo youuuuu?????? lol! dummies. i get the photos and ususally they take off and have very little to do with me afterward. LIKE i care!

3) it DOES bother me when they attribute my work ( $125,000 worth of edumacation and counting) to someone else on websites, or mess it up in phoshop, or worse- reccomnd some white guy to shoot when i am just as good (naw! BETTER!!! lol!) but whatevs. who cares?

it's my skin, i won it in the genetic lottery. screw anybody who looks at me and judges me less. they're doing me a favor anyways. since i got nothing to prove, i can do whatever i want.

also- i am really prejudiced against certain kinds of white people, and i have bad thoughts about illegal aliens. just so's you know...

ciao!

faith 'troublemaker, muchraker' bowman

Nov 28 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Several photographers I shoot with in Ohio are black, I'm not.  So what.  I had a model contact me last summer about a shoot in Florida.  I learned from her port that she also wanted to shoot in Ohio.  I set her up with one of my close friends there who is black.  He got her more work than she could shake a stick at,  because she was nice person as well as a good model.

Nov 28 06 05:21 pm Link

Model

Leela Gupta

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, US

Wow...really?  Well, reading over this thread, I see a lot of photographers confirming it and it's sad to see.  But, if someone refuses to work with a talented photographer because he/she is black, it's their loss.  And, in the long run, it's going hold them back in everything.

And, by the way, I saw someone said something about models being less comfortable doing nudes or implied nudes for black photographers.  I wanted to point out that the only implied nude ( or actually implied topless ) in my portfolio was taken by a black photographer.  I won't do that pose for everyone.  I did it in this case because I'd seen the quality of his previous work and trusted him to portray it in a tasteful manner.  Race had nothing to do with it.

Nov 28 06 05:21 pm Link