Forums > General Industry > They don't shoot with BLACK photographers???

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

Michael.. wake up and smell the coffee... it's not that hard to slip up, OR just outright say shit that you really feel without thinking about the consequences that may follow.. KRAMER is a prime example of this..

That's why I was asking. Of course people say things outright. Of course people make underhanded comments that you pick up on. I'm certainly not arguing that it doesn't happen or that racism doesn't exist. I was asking what specifically happened that led you to believe she cancelled due to your race?

Nov 28 06 09:36 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

how did the model know you were black? (I didn't look at your port so you may have posted a picture of yourself in there, I don't know)

either way it's stupid but I'm asking because why was it even brought up in the first place?

Nov 28 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Visions Of Paradise

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
AXLF.. what the FUCK are you talking about?? I personally think crime, when committed by people of color, any color; other than white, is commited, it is sometimes blown out of perspective, but I'm kind of okay with that, maybe because I've been trained to expect nothing more from the media..

I am just saying what had happen here so chill i am not puting anyone down. GEE WIZZ i am mexican and deal with this shit here in Hawaii. So how is that for you on an Island. People just need to look at ones work and then decide to work with them based on that not what color thet are. Damn have to love this society.

Nov 28 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Foolio7714 wrote:

Dude.....People talk. Secrets leak. It's the way of the world.  In my case, she told a friend of hers that she couldn't shoot with a black guy. It got back to me.  And then she lied and told me her grandma died so she had to cancel the shoot.    Bottom line = She doesn't shoot with black guys.

Well then it would seem there's little doubt in that case. I guess it's good to know before you waste your time and talent. Imagine if she didn't know and had shown up. She probably would have been passive-aggressive and gone through with the shoot and you would have gotten crap from a bigot with an attitude.

Nov 28 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:

i'm saying ignore the pimple if you have a broken leg..

you live in oakland, there are major problems in oakland, wtf are you arguing with me? i'm not a problem, a repressed model is not a problem.. go start a photography club in a local high school.. dont bitch at me..

Loosen up your panties here. First off, I'm not arguing with you nor anyone on here. If you are going to post and I don't agree, deal with it. You made a statement that imo is stupid, but I didn't trip off of it. Now you are fucking crying because I don't agree? Shit, if you feel that way, then wtf are you on here? Somethings you just don't overlook, but if you chose to do so, then that's your perrogative and no one else has to go that route of 'denial'.

Nov 28 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:

i'm saying ignore the pimple if you have a broken leg..

you live in oakland, there are major problems in oakland, wtf are you arguing with me? i'm not a problem, a repressed model is not a problem.. go start a photography club in a local high school.. dont bitch at me..

hey lotus, chill man, you should be glad you are arguing with thoughful people, and not debating about whether black celebs are wearing wigs..

Nov 28 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jessalyn wrote:
how did the model know you were black? (I didn't look at your port so you may have posted a picture of yourself in there, I don't know)

either way it's stupid but I'm asking because why was it even brought up in the first place?

I don't know how she found out I was black.. I've even overheard people talking about my work without knowing I was even a part of the conversation.. I have photo shoot videos on my myspace page. I don't try to hide my race..

Nov 28 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I heard Michael Richards refuses to shoot with black photographers too.

Nov 28 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
Loosen up your panties

ty, i needed that, was thinking the same thing myself..

i'm wondering why you are imagining me wearing panties

Nov 28 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Community Photography

HOWARD BEACH, New York, US

I had a model one time show up for a shoot and took one look at me and never got out of her car I am a biig old white guy oh well her lose

Nov 28 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

lotusphoto wrote:
ty, i needed that, was thinking the same thing myself..

i'm wondering why you are imagining me wearing panties

Whatever makes your boat float, but the difference is I didn't get pissed off and pushed it under the rug. Sounds like you need that highschool picture job.

Wonder why I imagined you wearing panties? It must've been that self portriat that you showed of yourself wearing a dress on the forum.

Nov 28 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jessalyn wrote:

While you can't always be certain.  There are clues like when one in a phone
conversation says, oh your Black.  Maybe its a model who claims she wants
to shoot on a past trip to Chicago then becomes too busy to shoot.  I mean
every moment is tied up until I leave.  Whenever that might be.  I've had this
happen to me as well as a well known Black model on this site quote me
$200.00 per hour to shoot yet was shooting with White photographers some
with limited talent for free.  To me some of the models should put in their bios
I won't shoot with you if I discover your Black.  I'm not all that serious too
and your emails and or phone calls will be mostly ignored.

Nov 28 06 09:46 am Link

Model

Brittney Hazel

Los Angeles, California, US

Are you kidding me?! Your pictures are like.. amazing. Shes a waste of time.. you could easily get someone to replace her racist ass. Sorry you had to deal with that. I've been denied a shoot because I'm black too. =[.

Nov 28 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

IM Photography

Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, US

I had a black model refuse to shoot with me because I was black. I never had this problem when I was in Europe.

Nov 28 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

IM Photography wrote:
I had a black model refuse to shoot with me because I was black. I never had this problem when I was in Europe.

that's funny because lwarence addressed this topic too, and it does happen. In europe, that problem isn't big there like it is here.

Nov 28 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Whatever makes your boat float, but the difference is I didn't get pissed off and pushed it under the rug. Sounds like you need that highschool picture job.

Wonder why I imagined you wearing panties? It must've been that self portriat that you showed of yourself wearing a dress on the forum.

i spent 2 years subbing in east palo, back in the 90s.. . kids liked me, i didnt take any crap from anyone, but if someone who had a hard life dropped an f-bomb on me i didn't bitch about it either.., anyways, i know i paid my dues..

didnt realize i looked that cute.. i'm tossing all the tfcd offers out the window

Nov 28 06 09:52 am Link

Model

1Body

Group Hug!!! ;-)

Photographer

Legacys 7

Thomas B wrote:
I heard Michael Richards refuses to shoot with black photographers too.

snickering.

Photographer

Michael Kirst

I'm coming in a bit late on this one...but...

*sigh* here we go yet again.

Nov 28 06 09:53 am Link

Model

Adieu

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
WTF is wrong with some of these white models?? You dumb asses.. I experienced just a small wiff of this type of prejudice over the weekend.. Anyone else care to share their thoughts???

What the hell!?!? Is your color REALLY going to make a difference on how pictures turn out?!

Nov 28 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

eg

Miami Beach, Florida, US

never happened to me!!!! :-)

Nov 28 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

If it makes you feel any better, I don't shoot with dwarf Lebonese one-eyed photographers. (I hope they don't hold that against me)

Nov 28 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

Project Photography wrote:
I think we should have threads for flakes and racist models that don't show or walk out due to discrimination..  I hate to say it but if we list them we will save time for eachother!!!

I second that!!!  can I do that? or does someone else have to?

Nov 28 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Monica Jay wrote:

What the hell!?!? Is your color REALLY going to make a difference on how pictures turn out?!

Of course it doesn't matter but in general some models White and Black aren't that
keen on shooting with Black photographers.  Some of it is a reflection of
the things they see and read.  Some of it is because they think you don't know
what your doing and some of it is because many Black models want little to
do with doing anything with Black men and the White models quite often
feel the same way.

Nov 28 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

lotusphoto wrote:

i spent 2 years subbing in east palo, back in the 90s.. . kids liked me, i didnt take any crap from anyone, but if someone who had a hard life dropped an f-bomb on me i didn't bitch about it either.., anyways, i know i paid my dues..

didnt realize i looked that cute.. i'm tossing all the tfcd offers out the window

Well the first part of your paragraph is the point of this. 'Not taking any shit' In this caae, not from models who pull this shit. It's all relevant my man.

Didn't know you looked cute in that dress? Like I said, whatever makes your boat float. Modest woman err uh I mean, man.

Nov 28 06 09:58 am Link

Model

aLyshia Lynnette

Cranford, New Jersey, US

Hearing stuff like this just makes me sad. What does your race have to do with your talent? Some people just act so ignorantly!

Nov 28 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
I'm coming in a bit late on this one...but...

*sigh* here we go yet again.

1Body wrote:
Group Hug!!! ;-)

why the fk would you want to stop a discussion that affects you? L7 and i arent retards, you want us to debate for a while.. you aren't going to learn anything from the news..

throw the soma out of the window

Nov 28 06 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

almost forgot, don't let it get you, that was my reason for posting. As you can see, my port shows diversity. Not everyone will do this to you.

Nov 28 06 10:01 am Link

Model

1Body

Aren't you tired of these people (Racists of all ethnicities)!!!

I think we outta call out racists like we call out stalkers, rapists, child-molesters, thieves, etc.

As you can see, I'm Black.

*Now accepting all racial slurs and comments* -----------LOL

Nov 28 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

Well the first part of your paragraph is the point of this. 'Not taking any shit' In this caae, not from models who pull this shit. It's all relevant my man.

Didn't know you looked cute in that dress? Like I said, whatever makes your boat float. Modest woman err uh I mean, man.

to hell with some hillbilly model, she's not going to change, and who cares if she does, if you want to be active go find some kids that can still grow from your efforts..

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

I'm not even a model and I have shot with black photographers.

Photographer

Legacys 7

lotusphoto wrote:
to hell with some hillbilly model, she's not going to change, and who cares if she does, if you want to be active go find some kids that can still grow from your efforts..

I don't shoot kids. Plus I'm not old neither. But you still are overlooking he point here. Your point would make sense here if she was just one. Obviously she's not, which is why this topic is still growing because several photographers including models have addressed similar examples. Start sweeping that trash from up under the rug my friend.

Btw, not all of them are hillbillies. but i got the joke though. but that's another stereotype too.

Nov 28 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

CLT wrote:
I'm not even a model and I have shot with black photographers.

come to think of it me too, L7, do you know don johnson?

Nov 28 06 10:07 am Link

Model

Nala Mills

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Some of it is because they think you don't know
what your doing and some of it is because many Black models want little to
do with doing anything with Black men and the White models quite often
feel the same way.

I agree with everything else but not this. The little time that I've been exposed to this, I've realized that a lot of black photographers play games or they think that black models are stupid. Especially, the really good ones. There have been times when I've had to check a few because they thought that they could talk to me any kind of way. Not all are like this and I have no problems with shooting with black photographers. I guess that it varies from person to person. But I really don't think that most black models want little to do with black men. I can't speak for white models.

Nov 28 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

Hell I'll shoot with anyone that wants to work, but going slightly off topic, I actually can't recall ever having met a black photographer in person.

This now has me seriously wondering, am I getting that old persons disease that f**ks your memory (I can't remember what it's called) or have I just never met a black photogrpher in 18 years of shooting in the UK and US?  Shot plenty of black models along the way but where are all the black dudes with cameras?

Hell the more I write this the more curious I get, so if you are a black photographer and you are down the Orlando way any time drop me a line and i'll buy you a beer!! smile)

Nov 28 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

lotusphoto wrote:

come to think of it me too, L7, do you know don johnson?

i know who magic johnson is. anywho, what about him?

Nov 28 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

i know who magic johnson is. anywho, what about him?

black photographer in oaktown, did a biography of blues guys, muddy waters et al, he used to work at the sarber's in montclair.,.

Nov 28 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I love women of all colors but some not all that many but some aren't shooting
with Black photographers.  I recall a sister I shot years ago on location.  Several
small Black kids started following us.  She said how cute, these ghetto kids have
never seen something like this before.  This was a sister that worked at a nice
store as a MUA and to me had the same sort of view some of the models here
do.  I've had several models excited and ready to shoot until we spoke. 
Although I don't use Ebonics or slang its not that hard to tell I'm Black and all
of a sudden they are too busy.  One is always in the threads telling people that
she's shocked at this kind of thing or that she is dependable, etc.

Nov 28 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

lotusphoto wrote:

black photographer in oaktown, did a biography of blues guys, muddy waters et al, he used to work at the sarber's in montclair.,.

no, never heard of him. i reside in berkely. but there are some that i know more of from history that are from the bay area.

Nov 28 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I love women of all colors but some not all that many but some aren't shooting
with Black photographers.  I recall a sister I shot years ago on location.  Several
small Black kids started following us.  She said how cute, these ghetto kids have
never seen something like this before.  This was a sister that worked at a nice
store as a MUA and to me had the same sort of view some of the models here
do.  I've had several models excited and ready to shoot until we spoke. 
Although I don't use Ebonics or slang its not that hard to tell I'm Black and all
of a sudden they are too busy.  One is always in the threads telling people that
she's shocked at this kind of thing or that she is dependable, etc.

that last part of your paragraph, cracked me up. i call them pretenders.

Nov 28 06 10:13 am Link