Forums > General Industry > Its Time for us to Pay for MM

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Something like $25 a year works for me also.  I used to belong to omp until they started to really suck. 

Glad that I found this place. So far I have enjoyed being here and the guys and models have all been so nice.  bs

And yes who really needs more than 20 photos to see you work anyway?  bs

Aug 02 05 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Do you guys always volunteer to pay somebody who isn't asking for money?

MM isn't ready for payment. Its interface is still developing. Tyler is essentially using us as beta-testers. I like the site, but I'm with Charlie that MM would lose out at the moment.

I've got a lifetime membership at Garage Glamour, since it was a good deal, though I don't use it much. It needs updating as well. I think I'm paying for Musecube, not sure. I stopped paying for Solomodels, because it didn't have a large enough database. I pay for OMP, because it has the largest database.

I enjoy the forums here, but that's probably going to end in a while as repetitions abound.

I'm sure Tyler has some plan, whether it's charging, selling our data, selling ads or whatever. Let him figure it out.

Aug 02 05 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by C R Photography: 

Posted by David Klein: 
i would pay if it helps keep the pretenders off of here

David

What the hell's wrong with The Pretenders? I've been in love with Chrissie Hynde since I was a kid.

Just go ahead and tell me that The Monkey's was'nt a real band either and see how closer I get to the edge with that one.

Geeez!

*raises hand* Whats the Monkeys and The Pretenders? I might have been sick the day my history class talked about that. big_smile

Aug 02 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by JvR: 

That is exactly what I was wondering.

Aug 02 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Belair: 
Contests, "showcases" and other crap like that distracts from the site's main purpose - classifed ads.  Contests and showcases are what helped put that "other" site into the toilet.

Yes. Next someone will suggest a reality TV show.

Aug 02 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Posted by CharliesImages: 
Here's the situation:

I doubt many of us are either willing and/or financially able to pay a fee to participate on several model/photog sites.  For example, how many persons are paying members of OMP and another site such as Garage Glamour?

Most of us would have to choose one site for a paid membership.  Logically that would be the site that best benefits one's own business.

At this point in time, I would have to say MM would be the loser if they did start requiring a fee for membership.  I would have to say if most of us had to make a choice as to which ONE fee-based site we would support, "veteran" OMP would win over "newcomer" MM.

I'm currently on OMP and MM, but I disagree with you. It's not clear cut that MM would lose to OMP because I would look at the number of images hosted as well as the cost in comparison before dropping one or the other. There are other factors to think about.

For one thing, we don't even know what Tyler would charge. I would like to see a membership that is a fair price with not too many multiple choices! I would still consider staying a member of both OMP and MM at this point. But today I would really have second thoughts about joining OMP if I had not been a member since 4/01 ... back when it was still free and growing.

OMP has a complicated selection of membership plans which overwhelms some people when they consider joining. There are something in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 membership plans, with 3 or 4 choices of paying for your membership!  It is so complicated that they have to have two 3rd party billing companies (Paypal being one) to be able to handle the credit card transactions. I have been researching credit card billing for about 2 years now, and have recently built a credit card network of my own. 

What OMP needs is a one billing page with three separate drop down boxes .... one for the choice of plan and one for the length of plan, and one for the method of payment. But they have a number of pages you must go through that are garbage as far as I am concerned. All the promotions mixed in with explanations of the selection of memberships does not go over well with me.  I don't want to go through 7 pages of crap about getting business cards and picking out a "free" gift!  It's a major turn off!

Having too many choices means that someone at OMP became greedy to the point where they tried to be "all things" to all people" ... but instead come across as finding all ways to try to get in your pocket book.  The multiple choices create problems with me! 

I'm NOT asking Tyler to start charging ... the site is still quite new. It does not hurt to discuss this possibility of charging for membership now.  As I recall, we talked about it on the OMP forum some months or longer before it actually happened. It most likely will happen with Model Mayhem eventually too.  I can not blame the owner of any website for wanting to make some sort of income ... can you?

AND Tyler, I will be sending you a message about my credit card billing network soon.

Aug 02 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

shabaka

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

Greetings,

This post reminds me of the kid who reminded the teacher that the class did not have any homework over weekend.

Take care,
AJ

Aug 02 05 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Posted by Belair: 
As far as I'm concerned, OMP, MM and all the others are essentially like the classified sections in the newspaper.

Right now, MM is a free classified section.  If they charge fees, then the cost/benefit ratio changes. 

Contests, "showcases" and other crap like that distracts from the site's main purpose - classifed ads.  Contests and showcases are what helped put that "other" site into the toilet.

I so do not want MMers to turn into some sort of Showcase hungry subscribers. If that ever happens, I am sooooo outta here. LOL (As if anyone cares if i stay or go wahhhh)

still waiting to get a showcase from that other site LOL hahaha.

Aug 02 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by studiomona: 
I so do not want MMers to turn into some sort of Showcase hungry subscribers. If that ever happens, I am sooooo outta here. LOL (As if anyone cares if i stay or go wahhhh)

"Nobody" does... ;-)

Posted by studiomona: 

Nudes.

Aug 02 05 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by studiomona: 

"Nobody" does... ;-)

Posted by studiomona: 

Nudes.

which ones? my own? lol mwahahahaha

Aug 02 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by studiomona: 

Better than Nobody's...

Aug 02 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Tyler will get to that 26th post thing I'm sure.

Aug 02 05 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by JvR: 

Amen!

Bringing a $ factor to this website will only make it go in the same direction as OMP, and then a good things lost....... leave it FREE and just load it up with some advertising (make the ads pay for the site upkeep, that will MAKE more $$$ than any subscriber`s) Keep this site FREE like MY SPACE......that was the WHOLE IDEA behind this website in the FIRST place remember??????

Aug 02 05 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by studiomona: 

"Nobody" does... ;-)

Posted by studiomona: 

Nudes.

XA is right. Nudes, T&A or just complaining about pulling your funding to the site will all get you a showcase there at "the other site". It works, I got two for the complaining bit but I since deleted myself from them. Showcases mean nothing except there.

Aug 02 05 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Posted by XtremeArtists: 
Tyler will get to that 26th post thing I'm sure.

oh grrrr, you are going to make me count now smile

Aug 02 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by studiomona: 

Better than Nobody's...

Is nobody in the house?

Aug 02 05 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by JvR: 

Not always, but I do tip well for good service.  Especially at the restaurants I frequent.  It makes for better service in the future.

I'm sure Tyler has some plan, whether it's charging, selling our data, selling ads or whatever. Let him figure it out.

For now, I try to spend 2-3 minutes/day clicking ads here. 

Aug 02 05 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Posted by R. Olson (RO): 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by studiomona: 

"Nobody" does... ;-)

Posted by studiomona: 

Nudes.

XA is right. Nudes, T&A or just complaining about pulling your funding to the site will all get you a showcase there at "the other site". It works, I got two for the complaining bit but I since deleted myself from them. Showcases mean nothing except there.

I just often wondered how they can screen tons of pics and come up with their showcases picks. Not to badmouth Showcase grantees (lol) some are really Showcase worthy and some well, I just won't say anything LOL hahaha. And it ain't a case of sour grapes either.

I could care less really, but I thought it would be nice to have one itsy-bitsy Showcase of my own hahahaha. I even thought of spoofing it and creating a border that will say "Showcase" on one of my pics hahaha....but that might be a bit much smile

Aug 02 05 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Posted by KoolGirlieStuff: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by JvR: 

Amen!

Bringing a $ factor to this website will only make it go in the same direction as OMP, and then a good things lost....... leave it FREE and just load it up with some advertising (make the ads pay for the site upkeep, that will MAKE more $$$ than any subscriber`s) Keep this site FREE like MY SPACE......that was the WHOLE IDEA behind this website in the FIRST place remember??????

I don't think this site would generate enough income, at least not yet, just soley on advertising. My Space has 23,958,362 members, thats alot and its up there with Ebay and Amazon as one of the most hit sites. So they can charge a ton for advertising, links, etc.
They seem to do well, since that site is only 2 yrs old and
was recently sold to Fox for $580 million.

Robert

Aug 02 05 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by studiomona: 
I even thought of spoofing it and creating a border that will say "Showcase" on one of my pics hahaha....but that might be a bit much smile

Now there's a good spoof!

Aug 02 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

studiomona

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by studiomona: 
I even thought of spoofing it and creating a border that will say "Showcase" on one of my pics hahaha....but that might be a bit much smile

LOL let me see what I can whip up here hahaha

Aug 02 05 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by studiomona: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by studiomona: 

Maybe you could try a version in which you replace "case" with "off"...

Aug 03 05 12:01 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Posted by studiomona: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by studiomona: 

That's a good suggestion. Are you channeling the spirit of Jack right now?

Aug 03 05 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Entertainment

Lomita, California, US

Let me re-quote you on that,  Myspace did NOT sale for 23 million only.

Make that 580 millions dollars and CASH.    Something to think about over just a Blog Site. :

Aug 03 05 12:07 am Link

Photographer

bill wylie

New York, New York, US

Guys, Let's take this post back to the beginning. This is not about
OMP. It is about a group of business people looking the help direct
the growth of this site. This is not about placing undue funding in
the pocket of the owner. It is about a voice coming from this post, which may give ideas, Let me say this again, it is about ideas.... for site to help us move forward. I am very sure that some folks like the idea of sitting back and letting change, change them. And when the change comes, it is now time to cry. If you are using MM to move your business forward, this concept of laying out ideas to possibility help your business, will make sense.

No, Tyler is not asking for money. However, sooner or later this
will be an issue. My feeling is not only to get the money out the
way, but to get to the ideas that will make this site better service
to our needs. Once again, Money + Our Ideas = Better Services to Us = Stronger Photographic Material to show Clients.

Aug 03 05 12:09 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Myspace which is the same business model as this one is free.. why would this one charge?

Aug 03 05 02:05 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by shabaka: 
Greetings,

This post reminds me of the kid who reminded the teacher that the class did not have any homework over weekend.

Take care,
AJ

This is a way better analogy than my Robin Hood and Sheriff Nottingham example. Thanks AJ!

Aug 03 05 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Brian Diaz: 

Posted by studiomona: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by studiomona: 

That's a good suggestion. Are you channeling the spirit of Jack right now?

Well, I was turned into a woman, but I was NEVER neutered.

Aug 03 05 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I'd cough up a few coins for this site.

Aug 03 05 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Posted by EpiK Entertainment: 
Let me re-quote you on that,  Myspace did NOT sale for 23 million only.

Make that 580 millions dollars and CASH.    Something to think about over just a Blog Site. :

Aug 03 05 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Posted by CharliesImages: 
Here's the situation:

I doubt many of us are either willing and/or financially able to pay a fee to participate on several model/photog sites.  For example, how many persons are paying members of OMP and another site such as Garage Glamour?

Most of us would have to choose one site for a paid membership.  Logically that would be the site that best benefits one's own business.

At this point in time, I would have to say MM would be the loser if they did start requiring a fee for membership.  I would have to say if most of us had to make a choice as to which ONE fee-based site we would support, "veteran" OMP would win over "newcomer" MM.

It must be just working for me then... So far, not counting all of my word of mouth shoots, I have landed more gigs due to Model Mayhem than any of the other sites combined. I have been a member of OMP for about 2 years now, and in that time I have shot maybe 3 models as a direct result of that site.

So far shoots landed from Model Mayhem are 4 times that amount.. And several are in the works.

So yes.. As soon as this site starts charging, I will more than likely be canceling my OMP account and directing my money here.

Aug 03 05 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Posted by ( ANT ) Mgaphoto: 
It actually makes me laugh that most of you want to hand over your money? If you want to give your money away send it to me smile or just give it to a charity. I mean do you guys give your money to random people because you think they are cool? What about other sites you visit? There are hundreds of good sites that allow free visitors and more will be added as online advertising grows to the billions. Hey I like MM but I see a lot of talented people on this site who could have started the same thing as well but choose to do other things.

I have given plenty to charities, as well as to organizations that I use to improve my photography, such as PPA and photo.net.  And everything I use on photo.net is available for free.  The fact is, without money from somewhere, resources that are useful to me will disappear.  That does me no good.

You, on the other hand, can't even give me a tax deduction tongue

Aug 03 05 03:12 am Link

Photographer

KarlShone

Maryport, England, United Kingdom

I've never got any money, I know how good this site is I would not mind paying, if I had to pay from the out set I would not have experienced it, not having a credit card doesn't help, go on laugh all you like.
On the other hand I dare not tell any one in the uk about this site, being free it may get clutterd with unprofessional models with a camera phone, I would definitly not want it to go the way of Net Models.
The other problem is that the site is unique and wonderful changing it may, change it for the worse, personaly I can't stand OMP, Muse Cube, or Net Models and partly because of money.
To sum up I'm a good photographer and a lot of models here will make use of me when I come to america but if this was a paid site, they would never have  seen me.
Karl

Aug 03 05 03:22 am Link

Model

CarolineVictoria

Beverly Hills, California, US

I dont think I've mentioned since yesterday how much I ablsolutely LOVE this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caroline

Aug 03 05 07:09 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I'm fine with a discussion about the point at which MM could be worth money, but that would at least mean that the site becomes more professional.

You might like the homely feeling of seeing Tyler's messages and his request for feedback, but am I the only one who wonders about the apparent absence of a privacy policy or terms of use? I don't recall seeing one when I signed up. Do you?

For some reason, many here give Tyler the benefit of the doubt while slandering OMP with being greedy. I personally don't know OMP's Stuart Burden and I don't know Tyler (?). Do you?

Aug 03 05 07:33 am Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

I believe Tyler was in the process of developing a store of shirts, shorts.....etc. For us to purchase to help support this site. I'd like to see how this pans out first.

Aug 03 05 07:50 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

We all know how well MuseCube did after they started charging...

Aug 03 05 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Todd S.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina, US

Or you can pay me. Or Herb. Or contribute to the Jack D Trute kibble fund.

(whatever.. i just wanted to make sure I hit all 3 of these totally f*cking redundant threads.)

Aug 03 05 09:13 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Neither OMP nor MM are built on business models suitable for the industry at the street level.  The main reason for this is the empowerment of the membership.

For a web site to have value at the street level, all, not just a portion of the constituency must be viable.  To meet the needs of the industry, the industry itself must have control over those entering, just as they do at the brick and mortar level.  Tools, such as powerful search engines, would be put in place that gave business value, not just functionality based on wide sweeping criteria. 

Ad agencies, corporate creative teams and even M&T agencies simply don't have the time to filter through an unqualified talent pool.  If they have an active role in selecting the membership, they then might take an ownership and welcome the use of such a portal site.

Modeling portals have thus have become a "cottage industry" that remain for the most part outside the street level, and a place for those to enter and excel within itself, or perhaps through their own iniative, not within a portal that is generally overlooked.   

The conflict in creating the portal at the onset is somewhat of a Catch 22 in the "if you build it they will come" mentality.  Most have used the "capture a large user-base" rather than capture the large industry-base first approach.  The large user base does not serve the industry, a large industry base does not serve those unqualified to enter.

Where OMP has failed, and I suspect those headed in the same direction, is charging those at a professional level for a limited professional service that does not focus on presenting those at the same level.  Thus the reasoning behind such limited opportunity from those hiring on a daily basis within the industry.

Modeling portals have become nice, fun gathering places.  They're pretty far removed though, from the reality of the industry beyond the cottage. 

In a free-for-all environment, portals really should remain free-for-all.  The question individuals must ask themselves upon being asked for payment, "is there long term value to pay for entering the gathering with limited return on the investment beyond fun?"

Therein lies the difference, business or fun.  At the street level it's all business...

Aug 03 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Excellent points area, and you demonstrated one does not have to start a new thread to make them.

Aug 03 05 09:59 am Link