Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Suicide and Violence Help Thread

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Big A-Larger Than Life wrote:

Pretty crappy!  big_smile

You and me, 1 on 1. Once you see that double crossover you'll be too busy laughing to feel crappy.

Feb 27 10 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Natasha240 wrote:

LOL, me too big_smile

thanks for the laugh, it broke some tension.

'welcome. smile

I'm. So. Tired. Another day of shooting (Been shooting Friday, Sat, and more today.  Then next Sunday too!).  I could do this every freakin' day though. I love it.

Feb 28 10 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Feb 28 10 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This is one of the forum boards on depression that I looked up. What do you guys think about this?
http://www.takethislife.com/

Feb 28 10 03:42 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Middle Island, New York, US

One of my friends from high school killed himself this Friday. Haven't seen him in years. he survived a massive brain tumor years ago. He had 3 kids............ was going through a really bad divorce I heard.  All under 6. I'll be going to the wake tomorrow, and the funeral Wednesday. I'm in shock.

Feb 28 10 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Gabrielle Heather wrote:
One of my friends from high school killed himself this Friday. Haven't seen him in years. he survived a massive brain tumor years ago. He had 3 kids............ was going through a really bad divorce I heard.  All under 6. I'll be going to the wake tomorrow, and the funeral Wednesday. I'm in shock.

*huggs*

Feb 28 10 05:10 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

oh sad
sorry to hear that

Mar 01 10 04:48 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Wynter Rose wrote:

Thanks for the welcome.

Anyone got any ideas for coping with depression? I'm not a danger to myself or others anymore but I'm still finding it a bit difficult to cope sometimes...actually a lot lately.

this is just a simple thing
I look in the mirror and tell myself(out loud) three compliments everyday

Mar 01 10 04:55 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

So I just created a social networking site by adding that functionality to one of my blog sites. Now I'm toying with the idea of building it into something for folks dealing with mental illness issues. Along with being a virtual support group I'd like it to include membership and input from actual mental health care professionals with articles and a clearing house of assistance information.

What do you guys think of that concept?

Mar 01 10 02:47 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Cassina de' Pecchi, Lombardy, Italy

So, like this thread, but better? And a whole site? borat

Mar 01 10 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Lawrence Guy

San Diego Country Estates, California, US

Star Child wrote:
So I just created a social networking site by adding that functionality to one of my blog sites. Now I'm toying with the idea of building it into something for folks dealing with mental illness issues. Along with being a virtual support group I'd like it to include membership and input from actual mental health care professionals with articles and a clearing house of assistance information.

What do you guys think of that concept?

The MOST important component of any social website is the management, moderation, and community.  You will need to establish a healthy community mentality from the outset or the site will never survive.  Also, look for other sites that already address these issues.  See what they do or don't do and figure out if they're effective or not.  Steal the effective parts.  Figure out what special needs your community will need (for example, members MUST be non-judgmental) and how you're going to moderate to ensure those needs are met.

Technology is easy.  People are hard.

Mar 01 10 07:19 pm Link

Model

Miss Panic

Chicago, Illinois, US

I tried to commit suicide when I was about 12 or 13, and overdosed on pills I was allergic to - my mom was so ashamed when my brother picked up the phone to call 911 she pulled it out of the wall. She said I was not to shame our family name.

I tried again when I was 18.

Now, I want to work for the hotlines so I can help others.

Mar 01 10 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Miss Panic wrote:
I tried to commit suicide when I was about 12 or 13, and overdosed on pills I was allergic to - my mom was so ashamed when my brother picked up the phone to call 911 she pulled it out of the wall. She said I was not to shame our family name.

I tried again when I was 18.

Now, I want to work for the hotlines so I can help others.

smile
Feel free to hang around here, too.

Mar 01 10 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Natasha240 wrote:
So, like this thread, but better? And a whole site? borat

Kind of. Actually, closer to Facebook or MySpace with the benefit of this type of thread along with a central location for additional resources.

I've still got a lot of research (as Guy has rightfully pointed out) to do on the whole thing. I know I've got the technical resources to do it, but I want to see what y'all think of the idea.

Mar 01 10 10:32 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Star Child wrote:

Kind of. Actually, closer to Facebook or MySpace with the benefit of this type of thread along with a central location for additional resources.

I've still got a lot of research (as Guy has rightfully pointed out) to do on the whole thing. I know I've got the technical resources to do it, but I want to see what y'all think of the idea.

It was mentioned. great idea but I think it would be hard to screen people so that you don't straight up troublemakers.
One other thing that would be important to me is anonimity. i can't talk about everything here because it involves people on this site

Mar 02 10 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Faith EnFire wrote:

It was mentioned. great idea but I think it would be hard to screen people so that you don't straight up troublemakers.
One other thing that would be important to me is anonimity. i can't talk about everything here because it involves people on this site

Which is part of my inspiration for doing this. Sometimes we are limited by our MM environment. I think anonymity can be achieved easy enough. Troublemakers is a different story. Screening? Difficult issue. Identifying them and getting rid of them once they're on? Much easier.

Ultimately it's a big undertaking. I don't know how well I'm prepared for that. I just know it's an idea that could allow me to better my efforts to help people by utilizing my abilities and resources.

Mar 02 10 08:31 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Star Child wrote:

Which is part of my inspiration for doing this. Sometimes we are limited by our MM environment. I think anonymity can be achieved easy enough. Troublemakers is a different story. Screening? Difficult issue. Identifying them and getting rid of them once they're on? Much easier.

Ultimately it's a big undertaking. I don't know how well I'm prepared for that. I just know it's an idea that could allow me to better my efforts to help people by utilizing my abilities and resources.

and that's all that anyone can ever ask smile

the troublemakers suck and make it more difficult for everyone else. I know that from a group I admin over on facebook.
And that's just a smaller group. For ex, we get hacked at least once a month. lol

great luck on this venture big_smile

Mar 02 10 08:47 am Link

Model

Big A-Larger Than Life

The Woodlands, Texas, US

Gabrielle Heather wrote:

Damn, dude.  I'm really sorry.  sad

Mar 02 10 11:31 am Link

Model

Natasha240

So I've been in a funk for a while. Today I was cleaning my house, and I had some music on that makes me happy. I BLASTED it, and I was dancing around like a fool, but I didn't care. I danced and danced and danced like I have not in years, I let go with total abandon. I felt SOOOOOO good! I was also singing at the top of my lungs, bad voice be damned. I highly recommend this as a feel good measure. big_smile

Mar 02 10 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

Natasha240 wrote:
So I've been in a funk for a while. Today I was cleaning my house, and I had some music on that makes me happy. I BLASTED it, and I was dancing around like a fool, but I didn't care. I danced and danced and danced like I have not in years, I let go with total abandon. I felt SOOOOOO good! I was also singing at the top of my lungs, bad voice be damned. I highly recommend this as a feel good measure. big_smile

I do that to the Glee soundtrack /shame

i'm walking on sunshiiiiine woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44b9RTtkAs

Mar 02 10 01:06 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Miss Murder Photography wrote:

i'm walking on sunshiiiiine woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Ah, that's a good one too! I'll add it to my list. Before I was buggin out to Neil Diamond (Thanks, Kev!)Sweet Caroline, The Weather Girls-It's raining Men, Frank Sinatra-The Way you Look Tonight, Billy Joel-We Didnt Start the Fire, Sonny and Cher-I Got You Babe, Frank Sinatra-That's Life smile

Mar 02 10 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

Natasha240 wrote:

Ah, that's a good one too! I'll add it to my list. Before I was buggin out to Neil Diamond (Thanks, Kev!)Sweet Caroline, The Weather Girls-It's raining Men, Frank Sinatra-The Way you Look Tonight, Billy Joel-We Didnt Start the Fire, Sonny and Cher-I Got You Babe, Frank Sinatra-That's Life smile

Most of P!nk's faster songs give me a good boost too.

Mar 02 10 01:26 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

So What is my favorite workout song!

Mar 02 10 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

oh no you di'n't! lol

Mar 02 10 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

Natasha240 wrote:

Me too! lol

Star Child wrote:

oh no you di'n't! lol

wha eva wha eva i do wha i want!

Mar 02 10 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Natasha240 wrote:

Me too! lol

wha eva wha eva i do wha i want!

leave me alone. I'm on my 6th replay of that song. tongue

Mar 02 10 01:49 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Mar 02 10 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

Star Child wrote:

leave me alone. I'm on my 6th replay of that song. tongue

TURTLE DANCE!

Natasha240 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfFZqTlWrQ

Eeeehehehe!

Mar 02 10 02:05 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

smile

Mar 03 10 05:03 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

All the help, love, and therapy in the world still may not be enough.

https://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5798/brianr.jpg
died February 28, 2010

If someone that you care about even hints that they're going to take their own life, don't take it lightly,

In January a major turn of unavoidable events caused a friend to go into a deep depression.  His parents, siblings, and friends did everything imaginable to help him through his seemingly rough times.

It may sound like a joke, but it's not!
Suicide became his topic of choice.  He would constantly bring up the topic.  He'd call his mother with updates like "I was going to kill myself yesterday, but I ran out of pills".  On the Thursday before the SuperBowl we received a phone call where he said "I was thinking about doing it tomorrow, but I want to watch the SuperBowl".

It's important to understand that an irrational mind causes situations that make a lot of sense to them, but makes no sense to anyone in a normal state of mind.  Because of that, people end up believing that the individual isn't serious.

When a person says they're OK, they're not!
Individuals in a suicidal state are NOT ignorant, nor have they TOTALLY lost perception of reality.  When they realize that their friends and family will or will not do certain things (ie: won't let them be by themself, won't let them handle weapons, take away all drugs and closely monitor their use) they'll start acting more normal and rational. 

They know in order to get those things they have to fool their care givers into thinking that all is OK again. 

Suidical people aren't necessarily insane
They're often in deep pain, either physically and/or emotionally.  They know and understand their sense of being.  They know and understand the world around them.  There may be only ONE THING that they don't know or understand, and that's how to handle the situation that's causing them to feel the need to leave forever.

Mar 03 10 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

died February 28, 2010

If someone that you care about even hints that they're going to take their own life, don't take it lightly,

In January a major turn of unavoidable events caused a friend to go into a deep depression.  His parents, siblings, and friends did everything imaginable to help him through his seemingly rough times.

Suicide became his topic of choice.  He would constantly bring up the topic.  He'd call his mother with updates like "I was going to kill myself yesterday, but I ran out of pills".  On the Thursday before the SuperBowl we received a phone call where he said "I was thinking about doing it tomorrow, but I want to watch the SuperBowl".

It's important to understand that an irrational mind causes situations that make a lot of sense to them, but makes no sense to anyone in a normal state of mind.  Because of that, people end up believing that the individual isn't serious.

Individuals in a suicidal state are NOT ignorant, nor have they TOTALLY lost perception of reality.  When they realize that their friends and family will or will not do certain things (ie: won't let them be by themself, won't let them handle weapons, take away all drugs and closely monitor their use) they'll start acting more normal and rational. 

They know in order to get those things they have to fool their care givers into thinking that all is OK again. 

They're often in deep pain, either physically and/or emotionally.  They know and understand their sense of being.  They know and understand the world around them.  There may be only ONE THING that they don't know or understand, and that's how to handle the situation that's causing them to feel the need to leave forever.

My condolences, man and thanks for this post. This thread is here not only for those who suffer with depression and other forms of mental illness, but, also, it's here for the survivors. Please feel free to participate as much as you like.

Mar 03 10 11:43 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

thanks for the reminder
and I'm sorry for your loss

Mar 03 10 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

SayCheeZ! wrote:

died February 28, 2010

:<  I'm sorry to hear that.  And i fully agree, you should NEVER ignore suicidal threats, even if they look like they're joking.  It's a cry for help.
Suicidal people are NOT crazy.  They just feel like that is their best option.  I've been there. More than once...

Mar 03 10 11:44 am Link

Model

Natasha240

SayCheeZ! wrote:

died February 28, 2010

I'm sorry for your loss.

Mar 03 10 12:54 pm Link

Model

Natasha240

Has anyone heard from Mike lately?

Mar 03 10 12:55 pm Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Natasha240 wrote:

no...
but I only know people from their screennames

Mar 04 10 04:52 am Link

Model

Natasha240

Faith EnFire wrote:

no...
but I only know people from their screennames

Sorry....Photons.

Mar 04 10 09:27 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

I don't ever post in here, but a year ago Sunday, my cousin Michael Ganz hung himself in his closet.

https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v232/129/63/541957439/n541957439_455307_1384.jpg

He was a year older than me. Now I'm older than him....weird.

I've got mixed feelings about it. He hurt others in unimaginable ways, but ended his own life long pains both physical and mental.

They read this quote at his funeral

"Don't cry for me Argentina, life is a cabaret old friend, I found my somewhere over the rainbow"

Mar 04 10 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Natasha240 wrote:

Talked to Mike briefly over in SF2 this morning. He's been sick, but is recovering.

Mar 04 10 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Star Child

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Sometimes this song expresses how I feel inside
Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faith

Mar 04 10 05:27 pm Link