Forums > General Industry > Male vs. Female photographer

Photographer

Ash Photographic

Cirencester, England, United Kingdom

Guys are more likely to try to get you naked.

Girls are probably more likely to succeed.

Ash.

Apr 20 14 09:14 am Link

Photographer

S de Varax

London, England, United Kingdom

Another Italian Guy wrote:

Wait... so you're suggesting that paying attention to lighting is a bad thing? hmm

While I will concede that male photographers are often more technically oriented than females, I don't think that taking a long time to set up the lights can really be seen as a negative... as long as the results are good, of course!

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

I knew a male photographer who would take a very long time in setting up his set.....the issue was more that he didn't speak a single word the entire time and it made for a rather socially awkward environment.

Myself I'm not very chit-chatty when shooting but I do try to make an effort...it helps to put everyone at ease.

Apr 20 14 09:25 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Fen Lingling wrote:
{snip}

Lately I have been wondering though what difference if would make to shoot with a female photographer. I have never encountered a female photographer neither here in Beijing nor HK.

{snip}

Does it matter? Could it matter? Why does it seem like there are so few of them? It's not that I distrust guys, or have daddy issues or something, I am just very curious if collaborating with a lady behind the lens would get a different (not better or worse per say)result for a shoot.

The Something Guy wrote:
Male/female photographers what about gay photographers ?

MatureModelMM wrote:
Nothing at all wrong with that.  I'm aware of two that I have worked with who were open about that, and we got great shots. But if they don't choose to state that, how would a model know they were?

The question was whether gender (M/F) played a part in the getting a "different" result as the OP asked, for better or for worse.

Everyone is so stuck on gender and there are many other facets that come into play when it comes to what the OP was asking, such as communication style, upbringing, life experience, culture, rapport, chemistry, age, and perhaps even sexual preference...before we even get to skill level and vision.

Apr 20 14 09:40 am Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I talk to models while I am shooting them.  It's much better than dead silence.
It does not affect the shoot time.

+1

Apr 20 14 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

S de Varax wrote:
Myself I'm not very chit-chatty when shooting but I do try to make an effort...it helps to put everyone at ease.

I have found that talking with a person helps most of the time. There are some models who just don't want to talk at all. They aren't models I'm comfortable with because I need to know what they're thinking or feeling all the time ... especially on first shoots.

By talking, I let them know that I'm human and am genuinely interested in who they are (as opposed to what they look like). This works great with some models. Others completely despise it. Everyone isn't for everyone else.

Apr 20 14 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Beauty Photo

Lansing, Michigan, US

marissa charles wrote:
I think it is hard to explain, but there is a difference. From the Model point of view definitely. As a photographer you are not going to have the experience a model will have. What I experience is a way of the Photographer seeing the picture, not the camera technique.  When technique comes into play, makes tend to place some importance towards the equipment they possess. I have yet to work with a Female Photographer who takes A long time setting up Lights etc before shooting.

There may be differences in generalities, but as individuals, photographers can be so vastly different, gender aside. I'm a female photographer and my husband is also a photographer. Of the two of us, I'm the more technical. I concentrate more on fine details. It doesn't mean that I'm any less creative though. I'm just very detail oriented by nature and that carries over to my photography. So, I will spend time working out complex lighting setups when they're needed to get the look that I have in my head. I love light and enjoy shaping and manipulating it... which means knowing the technical side of lighting and how to apply it are just as important to getting the look I want as the
composition I choose.

My husband and I shoot together fairly regularly as a team. We have noticed that some models will interact with us differently while in front of the camera, from very subtle differences to a completely different selection of poses and expressions depending on which of us was shooting. With other models, there's been no noticeable difference. It could be that the perception of how male and female photographers are "different' is as much influenced by the subject being photographed as by the gender, or individual personalities, of photographer who's behind the camera.

Apr 20 14 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

I don't think that the difference between a nude and non-nude shoot has been addressed in this thread. From my experience, the difference between male and female photographer for a non-nude shoot means little to nothing regarding the "safety" aspects whereas nude shoot seem to arouse (pun intended) some safety issues. (One model asked if my studio was in a dark alley!).

Would like to hear from others about this.

But just one more worthless opinion.   smile

Apr 20 14 10:57 am Link

Model

marissa charles

Andrea Acailawen wrote:

There may be differences in generalities, but as individuals, photographers can be so vastly different, gender aside. I'm a female photographer and my husband is also a photographer. Of the two of us, I'm the more technical. I concentrate more on fine details. It doesn't mean that I'm any less creative though. I'm just very detail oriented by nature and that carries over to my photography. So, I will spend time working out complex lighting setups when they're needed to get the look that I have in my head. I love light and enjoy shaping and manipulating it... which means knowing the technical side of lighting and how to apply it are just as important to getting the look I want as the
composition I choose.

My husband and I shoot together fairly regularly as a team. We have noticed that some models will interact with us differently while in front of the camera, from very subtle differences to a completely different selection of poses and expressions depending on which of us was shooting. With other models, there's been no noticeable difference. It could be that the perception of how male and female photographers are "different' is as much influenced by the subject being photographed as by the gender, or individual personalities, of photographer who's behind the camera.

My most recent images were done by a male and female team. The makeup shots are male and the natural one looking out of the window is female. I did interact very differently to the days shoot. I felt I understood the females want without asking. The beauty shots took a little longer as he kept showing me an image if wanted to create and I guess I was not doing it properly for quite a while . So my reaction pure made a difference in the interaction and relationship between Artist and Model.

Apr 20 14 11:08 am Link

Model

marissa charles

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:
I don't think that the difference between a nude and non-nude shoot has been addressed in this thread. From my experience, the difference between male and female photographer for a non-nude shoot means little to nothing regarding the "safety" aspects whereas nude shoot seem to arouse (pun intended) some safety issues. (One model asked if my studio was in a dark alley!).

Would like to hear from others about this.

But just one more worthless opinion.   smile

This is where a Marked difference between Photographer and Subject must be more defined.
Although I have not done nudes, I find I could act more sensual with a female photographer. That could come from the feeling that if I project myself too sexy in front of a male then an uncomfortable situation may occur. Unfounded, but when I have been brought up to think one way, it can be difficult to unlearn. I have shot with a Gay couple and I know I would be at total ease with comfort levels , knowing there is no sexual tensions involved at all.

Apr 20 14 11:23 am Link

Model

marissa charles

Lovely Day Media wrote:

I have found that talking with a person helps most of the time. There are some models who just don't want to talk at all. They aren't models I'm comfortable with because I need to know what they're thinking or feeling all the time ... especially on first shoots.

By talking, I let them know that I'm human and am genuinely interested in who they are (as opposed to what they look like). This works great with some models. Others completely despise it. Everyone isn't for everyone else.

Oh I think if the initial relationship established when you meet is good, then silences are fine. A few shoots were tense from the start, so silences are awkward.

Apr 20 14 11:33 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

marissa charles wrote:
her and Subject must be more defined.
Although I have not done nudes, I find I could act more sensual with a female photographer. That could come from the feeling that if I project myself too sexy in front of a male then an uncomfortable situation may occur. Unfounded, but when I have been brought up to think one way, it can be difficult to unlearn. I have shot with a Gay couple and I know I would be at total ease with comfort levels , knowing there is no sexual tensions involved at all.

The only sexual tension you feel is within yourself.

Apr 20 14 11:55 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

marissa charles wrote:
In my previous postings earlier, I have also stated that females who have shot with me tend to not talk much at all.so there is no chit chat. And the shoot takes much less time. Hey the agencies I am with also tend to choose Female photographers work over the male ones. Why? I do not know, but there must be something in the overall picture that they do not warm to. Now I can analyse that and there could be the possibility that I appear more natural and relaxed because I feel more comfortable. So there is a difference in how I present myself between the two Genders.

A well seasoned model should hopefully present him or herself to both genders equally, as a professional, as part of the job.

Apr 20 14 12:02 pm Link

Model

marissa charles

CHAD ALAN wrote:

Again, no need to be sarcastic.
When being told by the photographer at a Job for a big Jeans brand that he would like to F**k me now, I have reason to think that sometimes there will be sexual tension. You seem to now take a dislike to anything I say, so I can be sure there would be none between us.

Apr 20 14 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

CHAD ALAN wrote:

marissa charles wrote:

Marissa, it's really sad that you still think my first post was sarcastic. I meant no sarcasm, in fact agreed with you.

I liked what you had to say.

EDIT: and I'm sorry. I'm not having a great day today.

Apr 20 14 12:20 pm Link

Model

marissa charles

CHAD ALAN wrote:

CHAD ALAN wrote:

Marissa, it's really sad that you still think my first post was sarcastic. I meant no sarcasm, in fact agreed with you.

I liked what you had to say.

EDIT: and I'm sorry. I'm not having a great day today.

Well I apologise. I still do not see the agreement really. It genuinely looks like sarcasm.
I will be honest, social networking has vague etiquette rules. To me intent, emotion, boundaries are blurred.

Apr 20 14 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

marissa charles wrote:

Well I apologise. I still do not see the agreement really. It genuinely looks like sarcasm.
I will be honest, social networking has vague etiquette rules. To me intent, emotion, boundaries are blurred.

It's hard to understand someone through text, and even harder to abstain from reacting, I agree.

And I don't wish bad situations with males or females upon anyone. Cheers ok?

Apr 20 14 12:34 pm Link

Model

marissa charles

CHAD ALAN wrote:

It's hard to understand someone through text, and even harder to abstain from reacting, I agree.

And I don't wish bad situations with males or females upon anyone. Cheers ok?

Neither do I Chad. Will look at a comment a few times before making a reply in the future.smile

Apr 20 14 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

marissa charles wrote:
When being told by the photographer at a Job for a big Jeans brand that he would like to F**k me now, I have reason to think that sometimes there will be sexual tension. You seem to now take a dislike to anything I say, so I can be sure there would be none between us.

If it makes any difference, there is almost always sexual tension for me .... if the model is pretty and/or sexy (not necessarily the same thing). The thing is, though, that I try to keep it under control (ie not get obviously aroused) and not say or do anything that is out of line on any level. Things can always be taken out of context but the intent isn't there.

I am yet to shoot nudes or implied nudity. I've only shot one swimsuit model. Some shoots need to be/feel sexy to have them "work". Others not so much. I have told some models they are really pretty. Most of the time, I ask them if they like to hear that first.

Without trying to float my own boat, it seems to me like if I say they're pretty or sexy, they'll feel pretty or sexy so they'll relax a little more and be even more pretty or sexy. It is yet to backfire on me. Being that most of the models I've shot have been half my age or so, there is no chance of anything beyond picture taking happening but as long as they know they have appeal and probably to other people, they'll keep "performing". It works for me.

Apr 20 14 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

I shoot what I find beautiful.

I don't find boys beautiful.

It doesn't take a PhD to analyse that! big_smile

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

That's how men and women are different is not a bad thing just different. For example I draw inspiration from subjects that I find interesting and not beauty at all. I am sexually attracted to men  and find them beautiful yet they don't inspire me for photography.

No one is saying one is better than the other just diferent.

Apr 20 14 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

marissa charles wrote:

This is where a Marked difference between Photographer and Subject must be more defined.

I have had no problems shooting models nude.  They have always been very comfortable nude.  One even suggested shooting her in the bathtub taking a bath.   smile

Apr 20 14 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
If it makes any difference, there is almost always sexual tension for me .... if the model is pretty and/or sexy (not necessarily the same thing). The thing is, though, that I try to keep it under control (ie not get obviously aroused) and not say or do anything that is out of line on any level. Things can always be taken out of context but the intent isn't there.

I am yet to shoot nudes or implied nudity. I've only shot one swimsuit model. Some shoots need to be/feel sexy to have them "work". Others not so much. I have told some models they are really pretty. Most of the time, I ask them if they like to hear that first.

Without trying to float my own boat, it seems to me like if I say they're pretty or sexy, they'll feel pretty or sexy so they'll relax a little more and be even more pretty or sexy. It is yet to backfire on me. Being that most of the models I've shot have been half my age or so, there is no chance of anything beyond picture taking happening but as long as they know they have appeal and probably to other people, they'll keep "performing". It works for me.

That is your problem.  I am too busy concentrating on shooting the model.  That's all!

Apr 20 14 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
That is your problem.  I am too busy concentrating on shooting the model.  That's all!

I'm not sorry to admit that I'm a man first and photographer second. There is a priority to things in life so some things are more important than others at varying points in time. I, too, stay busy shooting the model but there are times when other thoughts pop into my head.

If those thoughts don't pop into your head, I'd say that either you don't find your models attractive or something else is going on (like you're married and your wife is with you or you're much older than I am). Whatever the case, I'll accept that this is my "problem". I don't think it's a terrible one to have.

Apr 20 14 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Lovely Day Media wrote:
I'm not sorry to admit that I'm a man first and photographer second. There is a priority to things in life so some things are more important than others at varying points in time. I, too, stay busy shooting the model but there are times when other thoughts pop into my head.

If those thoughts don't pop into your head, I'd say that either you don't find your models attractive or something else is going on (like you're married and your wife is with you or you're much older than I am). Whatever the case, I'll accept that this is my "problem". I don't think it's a terrible one to have.

I have been shooting nude models for years.  They are comfortable with me and I am comfortable with them.  I have photographed some very beautiful models!   smile

18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 783164.jpg

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 9d720b.jpg

Apr 20 14 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

One of my favorite photographers is a female photojournalist. Her matter-of-fact approach to everything she shoots seems to put people at ease. As a PJ, she has to do a wide variety of images, including portraiture, and manages to cover all the subjects with great style. I'd recommend her for anybody who's in her area. Fact is, she was on MM for a bit, but found herself too darn busy to keep it up. That's a problem most of us would envy.

What I'm thinking is that talent will eventually win out. People with ability in whatever field will do well. Male or female is less of a difference than the person's ability to make good images.

Of late, I've encountered lots of models and former models who are motivated to take pictures of their own. Some of them have turned out to be pretty damn good. To me, this is a good trend.

Apr 20 14 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

marissa charles wrote:
Although I have not done nudes, I find I could act more sensual with a female photographer. That could come from the feeling that if I project myself too sexy in front of a male then an uncomfortable situation may occur. Unfounded, but when I have been brought up to think one way, it can be difficult to unlearn.

Obviously some photographers (male and female) are douches and will try to exploit anything they see as an opportunity for sex.

If you work with respectful photographers you won't have a problem.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 20 14 01:49 pm Link

Model

marissa charles

Obviously some photographers (male and female) are douches and will try to exploit anything they see as an opportunity for sex.

If you work with respectful photographers you won't have a problem.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

This Guy is known and respected. I guess he feels he is Terry Richardson in training. he did leave that comment till the shoot was over and I was getting changed to go home.

Apr 20 14 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

marissa charles wrote:
This Guy is known and respected. I guess he feels he is Terry Richardson in training. he did leave that comment till the shoot was over and I was getting changed to go home.

Now you've got me checking your credits... lol!

Apr 20 14 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Earthspirit

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I haven't bothered to read ALL the posts in this thread but I read the first couple and the last few posts.

As a photographer who shots art nudes (and mainly people I know...or friends of friends) I often wondered what the model feels..or is thinking...or why she wanted to do it (all unpaid shoots). So when I saw a huge ad (1x2 metre piece of paper) on the wall in the art school at university asking for a male to model nude for a female photographer I was intrigued.

She put her phone number at the bottom and I wrote it down and went home. I couldn't stop thinking about it because I had always wondered what it really felt like on the other side of the camera in this kind of shoot. I had always wondered if I was doing the right thing with my models (I had no complaints from them...but wondered if they enjoyed the experience or just did it for some other reason).

Anyway...I decided to do it. The first thing she said was she was so glad someone responded (I was the only one)...and even her boyfriend wouldn't do it. I found that astounding. So, we went up to the hills outside of town on a warm summers day and to cut a long story short...she worked me so hard I had cuts and bruises and ached in muscles I didn't know I had :-).

Despite this I found it an enjoyable, even liberating, experience. I even felt a bit of disappointment when I did not here from her for a few days. So I phoned her and she apologised but had lots of uni stuff to do but had some prints for me and would I like to do another shoot. I felt like I was asked out for a second date hehe. Honestly, I felt great about it.

The second shoot was much more gentle, creative, often shot at a distance like me posing nude on some large boulders across a deep valley a hundred metres across. I can honestly say I loved it. I discovered that there were similarities and some distinct differences in her perspective re shooting a subject nude. When I got the prints from the second shoot she had done some creative burning and dodging (it was the nineties..we were shooting film :-)  )... and she had made the images less...umm...  sexual if you like. My feelings were a bit mixed about that (not that I was an exhibitionist by any means) but I felt that some of the intimacy of the first shoot had been lost...the first shoot was raw and had more spontaneity about it which I really enjoyed.

I am writing all this because I too am really interested in whether there is a difference in how men and women photographers (or artists in general) see and feel when they are doing this kind of work. I felt very happy after and missed it when it ended. I wonder if anyone here has done this and also does this sound like how you female models felt doing your earliest shoots...and if it is still the same.

To the O.P.  This is a sort of response from an experiential point of view. I definitely thought that the end product (the photos) were different to what I would have produced, but the process (the shoots) were actually quite similar...I would have worked the same way. And before anyone asks...no, I am NOT posting the pics here.:-)

Apr 20 14 02:03 pm Link

Model

marissa charles

Now you've got me checking your credits... lol!

It is not on here. I only have the tearsheet in my Book. I don't put many commercial stuff on here.

Apr 20 14 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

The Something Guy wrote:
Male/female photographers what about gay photographers ?

What about post op lesbian transgender female photographers?

Apr 20 14 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ash Photographic wrote:
Guys are more likely to try to get you naked.

Girls are probably more likely to succeed.

Ash.

Girls are more likely to succeed at what?

Apr 20 14 02:13 pm Link

Model

Williamxzy

San Francisco, California, US

Well as  a model I have posed both nude and clothed for both female and male photographers. The female photographers results have  been more surreal and abstract but the reason for that is that was the style of three  of the female photographers.

There was never any uncomfortable moments with any of the photographers.

The photographer I first posed nude for is female, three of the female photographers were also models and we posed nude for each other that was the main basis of our TF shoot although images also were given.

Apr 20 14 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Earthspirit wrote:
And before anyone asks...no, I am NOT posting the pics here.:-)

Then post them on Flickr or some other photo sharing site and send us all the link.       smile

Apr 20 14 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

marissa charles wrote:

There is a known and respected photographer in London who is in prison.

Apr 20 14 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Carbon Decay wrote:

Girls are more likely to succeed at what?

getting you naked of course

Apr 20 14 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

A-M-P wrote:

getting you naked of course

I think you are just promoting useless stereotypes...

You have to remember even when you joke about things some people think they need to really worry about working w male photographers...

Such stigmas will never end if people keep instilling that fear.

Apr 20 14 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Carbon Decay wrote:
I think you are just promoting useless stereotypes...

You have to remember even when you joke about things some people think they need to really worry about working w male photographers...

Such stigmas will never end if people keep instilling that fear.

what fear exactly?

I said girls are more likely to succeed at getting you naked. Is a joke get over it.

Apr 20 14 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

A-M-P wrote:
what fear exactly?

I said girls are more likely to succeed at getting you naked. Is a joke get over it.

the funny thing is, there is a certain degree of truth to it

Apr 20 14 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

A-M-P wrote:

what fear exactly?

get over what?

That you are propagating new models minds into thinking that every male photographer will try to get them naked in front of the lens?

Apr 20 14 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Wow ! there are some very angry people on these forums.

Apr 20 14 05:19 pm Link