Forums > General Industry > Male vs. Female photographer

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

A-M-P wrote:
what fear exactly?

I said girls are more likely to succeed at getting you naked. Is a joke get over it.

Carbon Decay wrote:
get over what?

That you are propagating new models minds into thinking that every male photographer will try to get them naked in front of the lens?

facepalm

Apr 20 14 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ash Photographic wrote:
Guys are more likely to try to get you naked.

Girls are probably more likely to succeed.

Ash.

Doug B I was referring to the first sentence of THIS post. then AMP butted in.

Plus I have been pretty successful in getting nudes... so there is no correlation between success and failure when it comes to gender play in that field...

Its about professionalism. not stereotyping.

Apr 20 14 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Carbon Decay wrote:

Doug B I was referring to the first sentence of THIS post. then AMP butted in.

Plus I have been pretty successful in getting nudes... so there is no correlation between success and failure when it comes to gender play in that field...

Its about professionalism. not stereotyping.

Reading comprehension is essential I never mentioned males in my post. I said girls last time I check girls are not males.

Apr 20 14 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

A-M-P wrote:
what fear exactly?

I said girls are more likely to succeed at getting you naked. Is a joke get over it.

facepalm

Funny thing is that he said something that I never said or implied in my post.

Apr 20 14 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

A-M-P wrote:

you quoted me after I quoted someone else....

So the information previously noted you decisively disregarded...

must be a female thing to focus on only a few certain details and not the whole story...

Apr 20 14 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Carbon Decay wrote:

must be a female thing to focus on only a few certain details and not the whole story...

Must be male thing to get butt hurt over a joke. Actually no is not a male thing is just you. lol

I said that females are more likely to succeed at getting a model naked and I have no idea how you twisted that into saying that all males try to get models naked. 

Anyhow obviously you are uptight and the joke went over your head. So we will leave it at that.

Apr 20 14 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Carbon Decay wrote:
You are propagating new models minds into thinking that every male photographer will try to get them naked in front of the lens?

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

It seems to be working well for you.

/sarcasm

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 20 14 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

theamazingjulian

Paterson, New Jersey, US

hmm, I do wonder if the model's comfort level would be different if the shooter was male or female...

To me, if you can shoot, you can shoot. Whether male or female. I do know female photographers though. I see them the same as I do male photographers.

Apr 20 14 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Ash Photographic

Cirencester, England, United Kingdom

A-M-P wrote:
what fear exactly?

https://funny-pictures-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Fear.jpg

Apr 20 14 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

A-M-P wrote:

typical Mayhem.

Apr 20 14 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

JustinWKing

New York, New York, US

Carbon Decay wrote:

I don't think Ash made any generalizations, because he was speaking in percentages, not absolutes. When you add all of the GWC into the mix, a heterosexual guy has more reasons to be interested in a female nude model than a heterosexual female. In the same way that the opposite applies to male nudes (sure you can nitpick, but it is true). If a model believes this to be true, it is not that far of a stretch to believe that a model who wants to avoid shooting with a GWC is more likely to assume that a straight female does not have ulterior motives when asking to shoot nude.

This does not imply that male photographers are bad. It just means that female models have preconceived notions. These notions, don't come from Ash's statement, but looking at the portfolios on Model mayhem, and the general media.

theamazingjulian wrote:
hmm, I do wonder if the model's comfort level would be different if the shooter was male or female...

To me, if you can shoot, you can shoot. Whether male or female. I do know female photographers though. I see them the same as I do male photographers.

It is not just how you shoot... It is also how you carry your self and act. Going into a shoot, a nervous female model is more likely to be comfortable with a female photographer at the start of the shoot. The male photographer will have to break through stereotypes the model might have. There are plenty of amazing photographers, male and female who might be inclined to tray and do inappropriate/awkward things with/to models, and that could make things uncomfortable, for obvious reasons.

Apr 20 14 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

I Y Q

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Different strokes for different folks. 
Do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Apr 20 14 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

typical Mayhem.

lol you guys are typical mayhem

Apr 20 14 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

Carbon Decay wrote:

EDIT: you "people"

EDIT: you "forum posters"

EDIT: I edited in case I may be triggering other nerves inside you big_smile

Apr 20 14 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:
Can I have some of what you're smoking?

It seems to be working well for you.

/sarcasm

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Ma va fare in culo.

HAHA

sido sei vero l'altro fotografo italiano JAJJAA

Apr 20 14 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Bernadette Newberry

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I'm a bit surprised that people are saying there's a lack of female photographers. There's a whole lot of female talent around my location now, especially as opposed to 8-10 years ago.

I'm not sure if this is more of a female thing or formal-model thing, but I keep an eye out for little details that I know from experience would always make me hate an image of myself. Flattering face angles, hair in place, natural expression, long neck, etc.

Apr 20 14 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Bernadette Newberry

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Paul Best  wrote:
I don't think there is a difference. maybe women are more social by nature. I'm friendly but i'm not your friend . I'm not looking to get involved in anybody's personal life, but I will give my opinion time to time if asked .

without sounding sexist imo men can stay focused on task at hand , women as social beings will carry the conversation too long and be distracted . just my opinion in most situations I've observed imo lol

I guess there's another possible difference. I stay pretty loyal to models who I've had good experiences with, and tend to become friends with them. Though I'm not sure if it's really different for male photogs?

Apr 20 14 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Carbon Decay wrote:

I can understand your confusion, but this isn't a school playground.

this is an industry forum, please stick to the topic, and avoid responding to people as if they are the subject.

Respond to the post, not the poster.

Apr 20 14 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

I can understand your confusion, but this isn't a school playground.

you coulda fooled me my friend....

Apr 20 14 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Apr 20 14 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Carbon Decay wrote:

get over what?

That you are propagating new models minds into thinking that every male photographer will try to get them naked in front of the lens?

I propagate new models all the time.

I am grafting some new models in the back yard as we speak . . .

Apr 20 14 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

Carbon Decay wrote:

Ma va fare in culo.

HAHA

sido sei vero l'altro fotografo italiano JAJJAA

That's not very nice

Easter Bunny does not approve

Apr 20 14 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Grady Richardson wrote:
I once attended a seminar with Peter Gowland ( famous glamor photographer who did a lot of work for Playboy, now deceased ) and his wife, who was his assistant. He said that he had his wife choose the models that he photographed because she was much more critical of the models that he was.

I actually got to know Peter Gowland and his wife during my apprenticeship with Bob Shultz a good friend of his in the early 70's

I think he actually shot only 3 centerfolds for playboy. However he was a master of glamour photography and nudes. He sold a lot of posing guides as well as books on lighting. He was a true master.

Apr 20 14 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

CHAD ALAN wrote:

S de Varax wrote:
I'm a female photographer and I've had some models say that shooting with me (or other female photographers) is a different experience to shooting with male photographers, but it really depends on your personality and how you work with people and who you're working with, it's different for everybody.

I'm sure you meant this as a generalization and I have no doubt that there may be some underlying truth.

Oh, you did say it was "your experience" oops smile

Anyway, as an artist, I feel like I shoot more like a female than male, but I have no way of substantiating it. I could be totally wrong! My port currently looks pretty male though.

Male photographers take a long time to set up lights? Haha.

EDIT: ok maybe I'm half male, half female as far as photography goes. I think they have a name for it. smile

Chad, as someone who has been a model on the other side of the lens from you I have to completely agree!! I can only share honestly from my experience but I felt like the best of both worlds with you. There was the best of the comfort that I felt in shooting with a woman and also the ease of self that I have with a male photographer. WOW! You got it!!!

Lucky me. smile

Also, I think you are a spectacularly good person to boot.
Jen

Apr 20 14 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:
I don't think that the difference between a nude and non-nude shoot has been addressed in this thread. From my experience, the difference between male and female photographer for a non-nude shoot means little to nothing regarding the "safety" aspects whereas nude shoot seem to arouse (pun intended) some safety issues. (One model asked if my studio was in a dark alley!).

Would like to hear from others about this.

But just one more worthless opinion.   smile

As a model I've shot implied for both men and woman and nude for men only. In regards to the implied I had more fun with the women but I think it is a bit coincidental as I 'knew' they were able to identify with the mystery on a personal level.

Jen
p.s. I was equally comfortable with both, yet, as a former dancer I enjoyed the mystery of creating with a woman differently as it was more of a 'sister' co-creating mystery than of someone just capturing it.

Apr 20 14 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

G D Peters Photography

North Platte, Nebraska, US

OP, there are many excellent female photographers out there, and if you think you would be comfortable working with them, go right ahead.  Often times a female photographer has those instincts which sets them apart from male photographers, and the photo shoot just flows easily.  There are however, models who feel uncomfortable around female photographers, just as some feel that way around male photographers, so I guess it can be a poison pill also.  Don't run away from the idea though, you may be missing out on the best photo shoot ever.  Just remember to take the time to do your research, and have fun with whomever you choose.

Apr 20 14 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

CHAD ALAN wrote:
{snipped}

Anyway, as an artist, I feel like I shoot more like a female than male, but I have no way of substantiating it. I could be totally wrong! My port currently looks pretty male though.

Male photographers take a long time to set up lights? Haha.

EDIT: ok maybe I'm half male, half female as far as photography goes. I think they have a name for it. smile

Gennaver Jen B wrote:
Chad, as someone who has been a model on the other side of the lens from you I have to completely agree!! I can only share honestly from my experience but I felt like the best of both worlds with you. There was the best of the comfort that I felt in shooting with a woman and also the ease of self that I have with a male photographer. WOW! You got it!!!

Lucky me. smile

Also, I think you are a spectacularly good person to boot.
Jen

Ah you understood what I was saying! I am really starting to wonder what women "feel" on the other end of my camera. I only hope I can make everyone as comfortable as you. That's why I popped into this thread in the first place...to see what you females got going on as photographers. smile And how to channel some of that good stuff.

Thanks Jen!

Apr 20 14 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:
I don't think that the difference between a nude and non-nude shoot has been addressed in this thread. From my experience, the difference between male and female photographer for a non-nude shoot means little to nothing regarding the "safety" aspects whereas nude shoot seem to arouse (pun intended) some safety issues. (One model asked if my studio was in a dark alley!).

Would like to hear from others about this.

But just one more worthless opinion.   smile

Gennaver Jen B wrote:
As a model I've shot implied for both men and woman and nude for men only. In regards to the implied I had more fun with the women but I think it is a bit coincidental as I 'knew' they were able to identify with the mystery on a personal level.

Jen
p.s. I was equally comfortable with both, yet, as a former dancer I enjoyed the mystery of creating with a woman differently as it was more of a 'sister' co-creating mystery than of someone just capturing it.

That analogy helps clarify things smile

Apr 20 14 09:42 pm Link

Model

marissa charles

London, England, United Kingdom

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

There is a known and respected photographer in London who is in prison.

Hehe. Wonder who that is?
Oh the one I am referring to is still working.
I did have a casting a few years back and it was with Monsieur Richardson for a Polaroid Project he was going to do. Luckily for me, I was So not his type. Too old and too dark. wink

Apr 21 14 03:21 am Link

Model

L J K

Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand

Personally, some of my best images are with female photographers. That might just be chance though tongue

I do appreciate the make-up wearing, femme female photographers who notice details like a shiny face, the smudging of lipstick, etc, and are able to touch it up themselves. But again, that can be solved by having a MUA on hand.

Women do bring in a beautiful sort of feminine quality to images that I feel is rarer to see coming out of male photographers. The difference isn't completely distinct, but it is there.

Apr 21 14 08:18 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

L J K wrote:
Personally, some of my best images are with female photographers. That might just be chance though tongue

I do appreciate the make-up wearing, femme female photographers who notice details like a shiny face, the smudging of lipstick, etc, and are able to touch it up themselves. But again, that can be solved by having a MUA on hand.

Women do bring in a beautiful sort of feminine quality to images that I feel is rarer to see coming out of male photographers. The difference isn't completely distinct, but it is there.

I'm not doubting this at all, maybe true in general or just sometimes?

Would be interesting to put a male and female photographer to the test, same location, same model.

Then try the same thing with 2 male photographers.

Then 2 females.

Then 2 gays, etc.

All with the same model and location. And see what happens.

THEN

Repeat the same thing in a studio with white backdrop, but each can light it the way they want, but same model and wardrobe for all.

And let the photographers in each instance, choose an image to present.

Apr 21 14 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

L J K wrote:

CHAD ALAN wrote:

Would be interesting to put a male and female photographer to the test, same location, same model.

You would also have to make sure the photographers had no idea what was going on.

And of course they would have to be primarily working in the same genre and of closely matching skill levels.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 21 14 09:38 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

L J K wrote:

CHAD ALAN wrote:

Another Italian Guy wrote:
You would also have to make sure the photographers had no idea what was going on.

And of course they would have to be primarily working in the same genre and of closely matching skill levels.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

That makes sense. And perhaps each photographer has a choice of the same small pool of wardrobe and can choose what the model wears, or if she's nude.

But I bet some female photographers would opt for the nude option as well!
Males = 100%?

smile

Apr 21 14 09:46 am Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

I have had some male photographers refuse to photograph me nude. One said he would be "too nervous". I've never shot with a female photographer, they are rare where I live.

Apr 21 14 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Giuseppe Luzio

New York, New York, US

CHAD ALAN wrote:

Then 2 females.

Then 2 gays, etc.

THEN

Repeat the same thing in a studio with white backdrop, but each can light it the way they want, but same model and wardrobe for all.

Do you think the psychology of the models towards each specific group would change the outcome of the shoot?

What if some models don't like "gay" people... (yes there still are people who aren't as open minded as others in this world.. sadly.)

what if some males feel being photographed by a man is awkward...(power roleplay during the shoot, or personal ego. Also a male model may display a more powerful display of masculinity towards a female photographer?)

wouldn't that affect the true potential of the photographer if this variable took effect?

EDIT: How would the distinction between them all be made if any?

Apr 21 14 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Giuseppe Luzio

New York, New York, US

sorry I hit quote instead of edit on my own link LOL

Apr 21 14 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Isis22 wrote:
I have had some male photographers refuse to photograph me nude. One said he would be "too nervous". I've never shot with a female photographer, they are rare where I live.

I have always found it easy to shoot models nude.  The models that I shoot have always been very comfortable nude.  smile

Apr 21 14 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

CHAD ALAN wrote:

Then 2 females.

Then 2 gays, etc.

THEN

Giuseppe Luzio wrote:
Do you think the psychology of the models towards each specific group would change the outcome of the shoot?

What if some models don't like "gay" people... (yes there still are people who aren't as open minded as others in this world.. sadly.)

what if some males feel being photographed by a man is awkward...(power roleplay during the shoot, or personal ego. Also a male model may display a more powerful display of masculinity towards a female photographer?)

wouldn't that affect the true potential of the photographer if this variable took effect?

EDIT: How would the distinction between them all be made if any?

Hey Giuseppe, I agree and I guess that was my hope.

Each of our individual experiences may vary and prove to lean in one direction, but given a diverse pool large enough, I think things will average out to comfort levels and style being spread evenly throughout, gender, race, etc.

Apr 21 14 06:13 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I have always found it easy to shoot models nude.  The models that I shoot have always been very comfortable nude.  smile

The problem is that I am more comfortable nude but some male photographers are more comfortable if I am at least partially clothed. I had one where his hands shook so much it's a wonder all the photographs weren't blurry.

Apr 21 14 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

LVL Photography

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

As a female photographer who has collaborated with male photographers on model shoots before the main difference I have noticed is that I tend to bring more chocolate and other snack items along with me. 

I also tend to be the one who checks in periodically to make sure the model is comfortable/needs to take a break etc.  Not to say that the male photographers are not interested, but I think they are happy to step back and have me take charge of that aspect of the shoot.

I try to build a rapport with the model so they feel comfortable and relaxed. But I think this is something that any photographer who wants to get the best out of their model would do, regardless of the gender of the photographer.

Apr 21 14 09:37 pm Link