Forums > General Industry > Male vs. Female photographer

Model

Torttunaattori

Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland

Being a model and all, I have done a fair amount of shoots. All with great photograpers, no doubt, though results vary from awesome to disaster.

All of the photographers I came across are men. Great guys, nice fellows, who sometimes treat me beer and pizza after. Lately I have been wondering though what difference if would make to shoot with a female photographer. I have never encountered a female photographer neither here in Beijing nor HK.

Does it matter? Could it matter? Why does it seem like there are so few of them? It's not that I distrust guys, or have daddy issues or something, I am just very curious if collaborating with a lady behind the lens would get a different (not better or worse per say)result for a shoot.

Does anybody wonder about the same? Please share!

Apr 17 14 02:38 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

I've shot with a total of 3 female photographers, and all of them were great.  I feel that women can bring a different dynamic/perspective to a shoot.  Not necessarily better than what a male photographer has to offer, but different, and something I can definitely appreciate. 

I wish there were more talented female photographers who were putting themselves out there and shooting with models, but alas.

Apr 17 14 03:10 am Link

Model

Torttunaattori

Yup.. I really wish I'd know where to find a good female photographer, just to see what difference it would make, after and while while shooting. Ladies, where are you hidden? And... why are there so many male photographers, and so few female? In general, and on MM?

Apr 17 14 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Male photographers can fix their own cameras... tongue

Sorry, that was too easy.

Good morning y'all

Apr 17 14 07:08 am Link

Photographer

Stephoto Photography

Amherst, Massachusetts, US

I have quite a few models work with me, specifically because I'm female and they aren't comfortable with a male... I've been told (by those who work with both) that I do bring a different style and perspective to the shoot- but there's no way to tell how much of that is me and how much of that is a male vs/ female difference

Apr 17 14 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Female photographers don't "shoot with their penis" (to quote another MM model) big_smile

Apart from that, most of the female photographers I know are probably more likely to be a bit 'hands-on' when it comes to posing you and will generally be less worried about appearing 'creepy' than guys, but otherwise, there's not much difference really.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 17 14 07:14 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

All humans are different

Apr 17 14 07:17 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Difference with me at my shoots get a bit long because I chit chat a lot usually when we have a team on set and we are all girls we get distracting chit chatting a lot. I have been told by a model that it doesn't feel like work but like girls playing dress up and hanging out lol

When I work with  male models I don't have much to talk about so shoots are prompt and in and out lol because I have not much to talk about other the shoot itself hahaha

Apr 17 14 07:17 am Link

Model

Torttunaattori

A-M-P wrote:
Difference with me at my shoots get a bit long because I chit chat a lot usually when we have a team on set and we are all girls we get distracting chit chatting a lot. I have been told by a model that it doesn't feel like work but like girls playing dress up and hanging out lol

When I work with  male models I don't have much to talk about so shoots are prompt and in and out lol because I have not much to talk about other the shoot itself hahaha

Maybe this girly familiarity is what works, in a way? Because the model doesn't feel as pressured as she would perhaps have felt during a shoot with a male she puts out more in sense of her personality? Just speculating here... perhaps when girls work with girls they -yes- giggle, waste time chit chatting, but in the end get a better (deeper) result. I wouldn't know!

please keep the insights coming! big_smile

Apr 17 14 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Grady Richardson

Houston, Texas, US

I once attended a seminar with Peter Gowland ( famous glamor photographer who did a lot of work for Playboy, now deceased ) and his wife, who was his assistant. He said that he had his wife choose the models that he photographed because she was much more critical of the models than he was.

Apr 17 14 08:50 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

I always wonder about the female dynamic and style of capturing images, communicating with models, etc.

I'd love to hear from models who have shot with both and were able to pinpoint what makes us different, if anything at all.

Apr 17 14 08:56 am Link

Model

Morgan_Rose

Brooklyn, New York, US

I like the conversation I had with a female photographer, but for some reason I felt more self conscious in front of her than any of the male photographers I've worked with.

Apr 17 14 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Wait...are we talking straight female photographers, or lesbian photographers?

Also, are they sweet as pie, or are they a snotty bitch with a type A personality?

Lastly, are they super talented, or just starting out and completely unfamilar with lighting and composition?

My guess is, your results will be the same as shooting with a male photographer...some will be great and some will be bad.

Apr 17 14 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I'm a chick photographer.  I donno if it's that much different cause I still worry about not respecting boundaries so I always try to ask people if they mind if I touch them to pose them (or at least make them aware before I do it) or I might tell them they can wear a tube top instead of a strapless bra if they feel too exposed. I'm really shy though so that probably has more to do with it.

The one awesome thing is that, as a 105lb girl, if I'm out shopping for clothes or something for a shoot I can try them on before I buy them and see how they fit/look.  A lot of clothing looks way different on you compared to the hanger or even on models online.  I also sometimes test makeup/hair looks out on myself or try about poses in the mirror to see if there's anything new I like.  I can also buy clothing for myself and have models barrow it for shoots if we're just testing. 

I'm also assuming it's waaaay less awkward for them if a model happens to have any kinda 'wardrobe malfunctions' during a shoot.  I still feel a little bit weird having to make them aware of it though :p

Apr 17 14 09:16 am Link

Model

Payton Hailey

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

On shoots where I am in charge of my own styling, hair and makeup I find women have tended to give me more specific instructions so I can come ready for the shoot.
Instead of: "give your cheeks some colour, use bronzer and use black on your eyes and make it pointy if you can"
I get: "Use a peach toned blush, contour a bit and draw on heavy winged liner"

Of course I have gotten great instructions from make photographers, and this isn't meant to be a blanket statement. Just what I have found so far in modelling.

Apr 17 14 09:20 am Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I actually seem to shoot with more female photographers than male, these days! A few years ago, I had never even met one - now, almost every agency booked job I do is with a female photographer, and a lot of my test work is with girls too.

Many of them have been models in the past, and so I always find them very considerate (not that male photographers are not, but experience on both sides of the lens is helpful when empathizing), and I often come away from shoots with new friends - they feel less like work and more like a club meeting, even if there are deadlines to be met and stress. I've also never had a female photographer make gross comments about my breasts, which is nice - though plenty of male photographers have managed not to be creepy about bringing them up tongue

Apr 17 14 09:24 am Link

Photographer

J Haggerty

Augusta, Georgia, US

Female photographer here!

I think my sex was a big factor when I was starting out and didn't have a strong portfolio. I was living in South Carolina at the time where the major image producers did women in bikinis on cars so by doing something vastly different I caught their attention then sealed the shoot with being a female photographer and not asking them to pose implied.

Now that I have a stronger portfolio, it doesn't matter. Male and female models get in touch with me and there's never discussion of the creep factor associated with male photographers. We do what we do and get the job done.

Apr 17 14 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Erlinda

London, England, United Kingdom

It sucks you haven't shot with a female photographer yet. You are missing out.

Being a female photographer makes us see and connect with the models a lot differently then men do. I don't know about other female photographers but for me I connect with most of the models I work with in a personal level. They become very comfortable and at ease, which gets me some beautiful results. All I do is just listen.

Women like to be told they are beautiful more by other women then men. They liked to be admired and appreciated, I give them that and whatever else they need.

I'm not a girlie girl so I don't really talk about make-up clothes (maybe shoes) but we usually talk life, dreams, desires etc. I find women open up a lot more to female photographers then male. But that could be just me smile

Apr 17 14 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Erlinda wrote:
I don't know about other female photographers but for me I connect with most of the models I work with in a personal level. They become very comfortable and at ease, which gets me some beautiful results. All I do is just listen.

Communication is always key smile

I tend to do most of the talking but the basic goal is still to create something more trusting and open than the nervous 'deer in the headlights' kind of situation you see in so much mediocre model photography.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 17 14 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Browse > Search >
Beijing & Female Photographers = 7
Hong Kong = 44

Number seems low to me. Could it be cultural?

Apr 17 14 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:
Female photographers don't "shoot with their penis" (to quote another MM model) big_smile

Apart from that, most of the female photographers I know are probably more likely to be a bit 'hands-on' when it comes to posing you and will generally be less worried about appearing 'creepy' than guys, but otherwise, there's not much difference really.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

sexist...

and how could a female shoot with her penis?

Apr 17 14 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

Fen Lingling wrote:
Being a model and all, I have done a fair amount of shoots. All with great photograpers, no doubt, though results vary from awesome to disaster.

All of the photographers I came across are men. Great guys, nice fellows, who sometimes treat me beer and pizza after. Lately I have been wondering though what difference if would make to shoot with a female photographer. I have never encountered a female photographer neither here in Beijing nor HK.

Does it matter? Could it matter? Why does it seem like there are so few of them? It's not that I distrust guys, or have daddy issues or something, I am just very curious if collaborating with a lady behind the lens would get a different (not better or worse per say)result for a shoot.

female photogs take less "crap"

like you better be on point. most unprofessional male photogs will let you do dumb faces and bad poses and not care. but more unprofessional(meaning not PRO status ) female photographers at-least know when a woman looks weird or needs to adjust and will be very very blunt about it. Almost as accurate as a well seasoned any gender photographer.

females bring a different mood to the table for a model until mutual respect is earned, versus a female model with male photographer (i'm the hot shit here) aire.

my guess...

i'm not a woman...

Apr 17 14 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

When I shoot weddings, part of introducing myself to the bridesmaids while they are getting ready is that "On wedding days, I'm just one of the girls".  smile

At one wedding, I pulled a pack of bobby pins out of my camera bag when one of the bridesmaids needed some and her response was "You really ARE one of the girls"!

Apr 17 14 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Carbon Decay

Brooklyn, New York, US

All Yours Photography wrote:
When I shoot weddings, part of introducing myself to the bridesmaids while they are getting ready is that "On wedding days, I'm just one of the girls".  smile

At one wedding, I pulled a pack of bobby pins out of my camera bag when one of the bridesmaids needed some and her response was "You really ARE one of the girls"!

smile

Apr 17 14 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

OP: This is just an observation, but there are not too many female photographers out there that I have encountered that want to shoot glam/swimwear/lingerie..etc. Most want to focus on fashion, landscapes, or documentary work it seems. With that said though, there are some amazing female photographers out there also in addition to some amazing male photographers. Personally I think that every human brings something different to a shoot rather than breaking it down by sex/gender. The reason being is because we are all imprinted by the experiences that we have gone through in our lives. Not everyone has the same ideal of what photography means to them. Sure, if you shoot with guys that only do glam, their idea will be that of edgy provocative imagery, but there are guys out there that do other things too and approach shoots differently. I think that we all simply have to open our eyes to the human approach to realize the subtleties that make each shoot different. Sometimes for me for example whether I am photographing guys or girls, there is just different energy from different people. The best images are made though when connection with subject, photographer, and team, meets art and technical. When you can make someone feel something in an image, it is a very powerful thing. What that feeling is depends on the dynamic of those creating it no matter who they are. You should definitely get out there and shoot with as many folks of all genders as possible though. I would not look at it as genders though, I would look at it as shooting with another human being with a different insight. just my .02 cents. good luck

Apr 17 14 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

No they "shoot with their clit"

Don't fool yourself thinking that they are somehow any different in that regard. I had a co-worker that's a female photographer. And she was the most open, blatant and sexual person out of anyone where we worked. She also would make comments about other females wanting to have sex with her.

She admitted she would zoom in or take crotch shots on female models because "She wanted to see that shit!" She would use more sexual language during shoots when directing women.

She did take good pictures. She was a lot of fun to work with. But my point is just because it's a woman it does not mean they are going to be any less sexual. It only means the can get away with more.

Things a guy would get labeled, a creep, perv, or even charged with assault a woman might not even get a firm warning... I.e. touching a woman's breasts, using sexual language, being overtly sexual etc... It's just more of society's B.S. bias against men in general.

That being said... There are a lot of female photographers out there that are really good and I'm sure they are not all super sexual like my ex-co-worker.

If I was modeling I'd want to shoot with some good female photographers myself.

Apr 17 14 06:59 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Fen Lingling wrote:

Hello,

I do not wonder the same thing but, maybe because I have shot with both men and women.

I've also shot with photographers 20+ years my junior and 20+ years my senior too. Every individual is a unique person.

Jen

Let me do some quick adding off the top of my head-

Female photographers I've shot with = 8 ish
Male photographers I've shot with = 26 ish

Apr 17 14 09:15 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Art Silva wrote:
Male photographers can fix their own cameras... tongue

Sorry, that was too easy.

Good morning y'all

Bwahaha! wink

Well, I actually cannot fix my own camera but, then again I cannot program the remote for the t.v. that I don't watch either!

Jen
p.s. my new to photographry profile https://www.modelmayhem.com/3266092

Apr 17 14 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Best

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't think there is a difference. maybe women are more social by nature. I'm friendly but i'm not your friend . I'm not looking to get involved in anybody's personal life, but I will give my opinion time to time if asked .

without sounding sexist imo men can stay focused on task at hand , women as social beings will carry the conversation too long and be distracted . just my opinion in most situations I've observed imo lol

Apr 17 14 09:56 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I've only shot with 2 female photographers. The first made me want to rip her throat out and hand it to her, the second was pretty fun to shoot with.

I don't mind female photographers, but I'm highly uncomfortable around ANY female.

Apr 17 14 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Danielle Reid wrote:
I don't mind female photographers, but I'm highly uncomfortable around ANY female.

That's kind of weird.

Just sayin.

I've always had a lot of male friends but I don't feel uncomfortable around ANY female.

I think female photographers often see things from a different perspective. Some have a decidedly feminine or romantic style.

I have been hired to shoot children's comp cards before because some people feel more comfortable with a woman photographing young children ( I'm not saying right wrong or indifferent). I think Ross Whitaker is one of the best children's photographers I have ever seen work and he is definitely all male but he is like a big kid and kids really relate to him.

Some females maybe by nature have a natural affinity for styling or makeup moreso than everyday men might and that can be beneficial.

Apr 17 14 11:16 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

KungPaoChic wrote:

That's kind of weird.

Just sayin.

I've always had a lot of male friends but I don't feel uncomfortable around ANY female.

I think female photographers often see things from a different perspective. Some have a decidedly feminine or romantic style.

I have been hired to shoot children's comp cards before because some people feel more comfortable with a woman photographing young children ( I'm not saying right wrong or indifferent). I think Ross Whitaker is one of the best children's photographers I have ever seen work and he is definitely all male but he is like a big kid and kids really relate to him.

Some females maybe by nature have a natural affinity for styling or makeup moreso than everyday men might and that can be beneficial.

I don't find it weird, then again I'm not you and you're not me. You didn't grow up like I did, or had the experiences that I've experienced, and I don't expect you to ever understand. I'm uncomfortable around women, let's leave it at that. At least I'm honest about it

Apr 17 14 11:23 pm Link

Model

marissa charles

I have shot with both. And the first and very apparent difference in approach is that Males tend to look at the whole picture but will not notice small details in regards to the Model. Hence little things like flyaway hair, collar out of place etc tend to go unnoticed. I also find makes will make comments about my looks. All complimentary, but I am not interested.
Female photographers I have worked with have all been Models and they all take a much more empathetic approach. They take more time making sure I look right and therefore I perform way better and my guard is down.

In terms of successful images that my agencies use and the ones that get me work; the female ones are the photographs used and the male ones that are the best are nods done by a Gay couple who work just like the female ones I have shot with.

Apr 17 14 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I only model occasionally.  Only one experience with a female model and that was when I was in my early 50's which I'm sure colored my impressions since it was also one of my very few nude or near-nude shoots.  From that limited perspective, I wouldn't say that the experience was significantly different from shooting with male photographers.  If anything, I may have felt a bit more comfortable with her than with some of the men I've shot with.  Possibly because she took great pains to make me comfortable.  But then again I tend to be more comfortable with women than with men generally.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Apr 18 14 07:12 am Link

Photographer

R Emary

I find that models feel a lot more relaxed and comfortable around me because i'm female.
I still ask permission to touch them or pose them, simply because I think it would be rude not too. However, the atmosphere on shoots is always chilled out and we have a few laughs and chatter.
I get to know the people I work with on a really personal level.

Apr 18 14 09:31 am Link

Model

JESSICA CLAIRE

Personally, I've found every single one of my photoshoots to be different in some way, irregaurdless of gender. After working with many different photographers of all backgrounds and levels, I have found that patterns are present.  After shooting for a few years, well eleven to be exact, most of the male photographers I've worked with in one way or another have disrespected the relationship I hope to form with ANY photographer. Which is a completely professional, creative alliance where we can create dynamic and beautiful photographs. About a quarter of the photographers I've worked with more than one time, and a couple of that bunch more than a dozen times. One male, one female and both were completely professional and yet polar opposites of each other. I have found that sometimes the first shoot everything seems hunky-dory but by the next shoot their true colors start to show.

Everybody perceives and approaches things differently. On a basic level men and women are wired differently, we connect differently. Personally I prefer to work with a photographer who is a woman. I've worked with about 18 female photographers (about 13%) and only one of them has disrespected our working relationship. In all except that one particular case, female photographers have always made me feel respected, beautiful and comfortable.

Why does it feel like there are so few of them? Maybe on Model Mayhem, but I think there are plenty of amazing female photographers out there.

Apr 18 14 10:28 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

JESSICA CLAIRE wrote:
Personally, I've found every single one of my photoshoots to be different in some way, irregaurdless of gender. After working with many different photographers of all backgrounds and levels, I have found that patterns are present.  After shooting for a few years, well eleven to be exact, most of the male photographers I've worked with in one way or another have disrespected the relationship I hope to form with ANY photographer. Which is a completely professional, creative alliance where we can create dynamic and beautiful photographs. About a quarter of the photographers I've worked with more than one time, and a couple of that bunch more than a dozen times. One male, one female and both were completely professional and yet polar opposites of each other. I have found that sometimes the first shoot everything seems hunky-dory but by the next shoot their true colors start to show.

Everybody perceives and approaches things differently. On a basic level men and women are wired differently, we connect differently. Personally I prefer to work with a photographer who is a woman. I've worked with about 18 female photographers (about 13%) and only one of them has disrespected our working relationship. In all except that one particular case, female photographers have always made me feel respected, beautiful and comfortable.

Why does it feel like there are so few of them? Maybe on Model Mayhem, but I think there are plenty of amazing female photographers out there.

Wow! - you may want to take a look at the common denominator here and it may very well not be male vs. female photographer.

Apr 18 14 10:31 am Link

Model

marissa charles

R Emary wrote:

I find that models feel a lot more relaxed and comfortable around me because i'm female.
I still ask permission to touch them or pose them, simply because I think it would be rude not too. However, the atmosphere on shoots is always chilled out and we have a few laughs and chatter.
I get to know the people I work with on a really personal level.

I look at your work and can see how you make the model the focus of the shoot. The surrounding is there to compliment the Subject. I have found my images from females to do this. My photographs by men tend to have little details that bug me because an aspect of myself is not looked at. Your work is gorgeous BTW.

Apr 18 14 10:39 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Wait...are we talking straight female photographers, or lesbian photographers?

Also, are they sweet as pie, or are they a snotty bitch with a type A personality?

Lastly, are they super talented, or just starting out and completely unfamilar with lighting and composition?

My guess is, your results will be the same as shooting with a male photographer...some will be great and some will be bad.

I agree.

Apr 18 14 10:40 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Paul Best  wrote:
I don't think there is a difference. maybe women are more social by nature. I'm friendly but i'm not your friend . I'm not looking to get involved in anybody's personal life, but I will give my opinion time to time if asked .

without sounding sexist imo men can stay focused on task at hand , women as social beings will carry the conversation too long and be distracted . just my opinion in most situations I've observed imo lol

My day job is as a nurse...I personally do not want to spiral into girl talk all afternoon when there is a goal and task at hand.

There is a theory on Women's ways of knowing http://collegestudentdeveltheory.blogsp … -by-e.html

The women at the stage two of learning talk and talk and talk, "The next epistemology is “women of received knowledge.”  These women are completely dependent on others for knowledge (Belenky et al., 1986)." Basically that drives me a bit batty. I worked my early adulthood in men's jobs surrounded by the grounding of masculine thought and men and it was a relief NOT to have my mental space constantly filled with womanly style chit chatter, (male chit chat is different.) Sure I can talk and often can talk a lot but, I do not want to do it constantly, non-stop and not when there is an shoot going on or immediately pre-shoot either.

I think I may be developing from the latter stages of women's ways of knowing from this

“Procedural knowers” are at the next level of knowing and these women believe each of us looks at the world through a different lens.  They rely on a combination of intuition and external authorities for answers." to finally this, "The last of the epistemologies, “constructed knowledge,” integrates intuitive knowledge with learned knowledge from others. These women have developed a personal narrative, do not loose voice while listening to others, and use themselves to rise to new ways of thinking (Belenky et al., 1986). " Finally and thank goodness!!

Jen

Apr 18 14 10:44 am Link