Forums > General Industry > Male vs. Female photographer

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

LVL Photography wrote:
As a female photographer who has collaborated with male photographers on model shoots before the main difference I have noticed is that I tend to bring more chocolate and other snack items along with me. 

I also tend to be the one who checks in periodically to make sure the model is comfortable/needs to take a break etc.  Not to say that the male photographers are not interested, but I think they are happy to step back and have me take charge of that aspect of the shoot.

I try to build a rapport with the model so they feel comfortable and relaxed. But I think this is something that any photographer who wants to get the best out of their model would do, regardless of the gender of the photographer.

tup

Apr 21 14 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Isis22 wrote:

The problem is that I am more comfortable nude but some male photographers are more comfortable if I am at least partially clothed. I had one where his hands shook so much it's a wonder all the photographs weren't blurry.

This is funny!  smile

Apr 21 14 10:05 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

As a hair and makeup artist working with both, I find female photographer's will take you to the edge, while male photographer will sometimes take you over the edge.  I can almost always tell if the image was taken by a guy or girl.  The female photographer just seems to have a softer look to their pictures.  R-

Apr 23 14 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

The Grand Artist

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Female photographers wear heels and make-up to photo shoots. Male photographers look like they are going fishing, hiking, or about to do yard work.

I don't know any female photographers that are not former or current models.  On a shoot it would be hard for the average person to tell who was the model and who was the photographer especially if she was not holding a camera.

Apr 28 14 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

rick lesser wrote:
The female photographer just seems to have a softer look to their pictures.  R-

Really? lol

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/erin-elizabeth-kelly (very 18+)

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Apr 29 14 03:11 am Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:

Really? lol

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/erin-elizabeth-kelly (very 18+)

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

yikes

Apr 29 14 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Sennia Kyle

Seattle, Washington, US

The Grand Artist wrote:
Female photographers wear heels and make-up to photo shoots.

Makeup? Probably. But as far as heels go, as a strict numbers game, yes, female photographers are probably wearing them at their shoots in far greater numbers than male photographers. That said, as a female photographer who is friends with and has worked with a lot of other female photographers.... yeah, not so much. The idea makes my ankles hurt when I think about the contorting that I frequently do to get a certain angle *just* right. Also, I'd look like a complete tool.

Apr 29 14 10:27 pm Link

Model

Nat has a username

Oakland, California, US

Gender is one of the many factors that can affect/influence a person's work and how they are perceived and interact with the world.

I shoot models with my male partner a LOT. Above all the major difference:
The fact that he is 6'3" and I am 5'7" means I generally see eye to eye with people and he naturally looks down on the model (except for a few models who are 6'+!)

Other than that, though, I find that we both are compassionate and empathize with the model, even though our point of view and working styles are very different.

I have worked with hundreds of male photographers, and all work differently. Of the female photographers I have worked with, I find that they tend to be very driven, organized, and communicative (not as a rule, but a good majority of the female photographers I have worked with). Gender doesn't have too much of an influence on my decision to work with someone or not in the end.

Apr 29 14 10:57 pm Link

Model

NothingnesssEver

New York, New York, US

I have only worked with one female photographer, and she was beyond amazing! I would work with female photographers anytime! Also because I want to see more representative of my gender in this beautiful profession. smile

May 02 14 01:04 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Well guys since I can't view the image you linked through tumbir (no account)  which I am guessing is not a softer image from a female photographer, I will have to take your word for it!  And I should have added most often, not every.  Thank you for reference though!  R-

May 02 14 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

The Grand Artist

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Sennia Kyle wrote:
Makeup? Probably. But as far as heels go, as a strict numbers game, yes, female photographers are probably wearing them at their shoots in far greater numbers than male photographers. That said, as a female photographer who is friends with and has worked with a lot of other female photographers.... yeah, not so much. The idea makes my ankles hurt when I think about the contorting that I frequently do to get a certain angle *just* right. Also, I'd look like a complete tool.

I am not going to comment on how they look beyond saying that they do it and it looks interesting from where I sit. I am amazed that they can pull it off but maybe I shouldn't since I have seen women hiking in the back country in heels.

May 05 14 07:19 am Link