Forums > General Industry > When and where was your first published work?

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Super Moto/Cross magazine 1987. Centerfold 250 GP of France

Sep 22 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

Naked stick figures.. boys bathroom stall, age 7... (It was a limited edition)..lol

Sep 22 06 07:56 am Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Sep 22 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

HokNok wrote:
Naked stick figures.. boys bathroom stall, age 7... (It was a limited edition)..lol

No tear sheet? or did you get a whole roll of them? Hot off the press?

Sep 22 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

I've never submitted any images for publication. I've been published many times, though. I'm a writer, also (of non-fiction -- articles, columns, music reviews). I've had my writing published in "Women's Day", "Ladies Home Journal", "Disney's FamilyFun", "Listen Magazine", local newspapers, local rag mags, and quite a few more. But it's definitely something I plan to try to get done. So, hopefully in the near future...

Sep 22 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Miami Student--I was college newspaper photo editor for a bit.

Sep 22 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Rossi Photography wrote:
I've never submitted any images for publication. I've been published many times, though. I'm a writer, also (of non-fiction -- articles, columns, music reviews). I've had my writing published in "Women's Day", "Ladies Home Journal", "Disney's FamilyFun", "Listen Magazine", local newspapers, local rag mags, and quite a few more. But it's definitely something I plan to try to get done. So, hopefully in the near future...

oK, thanks for sharing but which was the first?

Sep 22 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Tom Schultz

Winchester, Virginia, US

First published --- 1978, high school football and basketball photos in local newspapers (that was a challenge - I was using a 2 1/4" TLR) - I was a high school student then.  Latest -- a college textbook on forensic chemistry.

Sep 22 06 08:38 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
oK, thanks for sharing but which was the first?

Lol... Oops. Sorry. "Listen" magazine. It's a mag for teens and distributed to schools to teach drug prevention.

Sep 22 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

uh... some time when I was around 10 years old... don't remember the name or date.

Earliest memory of being published was the school newspaper... Clearview R.H.S.' "The View" and the yearbook "The Key"

Meh...

Sep 22 06 08:42 am Link

Photographer

Coops Walking

Palm Bay, Florida, US

Writtings-Jackson County Civilwar Round Table Newsletter,  ok maaybe not much but I throughly enjoied being the Civil War-yer.

Photogaphs-KCMO Chl 9 News Weather photos.  Brian Busby would pick one for each nights weather report and overlay the image with the forcast.  I got shut down for attracking lightning strikes to capture. 

Books-Hmmm, still working on my Coffee Table book, "Through Goat's Eyes"  While driving a truck around the country and chasing that sunset, over 10,000 images captured in 7 years.  Many lost due to HD failure, now we back things up.

Sep 22 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Jet Magazine 1986; Jet Centerfold

Sep 22 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Of me: picture of me looking through a telecope 1963 West Hartford newspaper, 8th grade..

By me:Scientific American, picture of a supernova in NGC 3627, 1986..

(nerd)

Sep 22 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Ceehawk Multimedia

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Ceehawk Multimedia wrote:
Jet Magazine 1986; Jet Centerfold

Well actually thats a bit of a lie...my first publish photographs were in my High school year book Nurnberg American High School(Franconian) 1980 and 81.  jet was my first nationally publish picture.

Sep 22 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Ceehawk Multimedia wrote:

Well actually thats a bit of a lie...my first publish photographs were in my High school year book Nurnberg American High School(Franconian) 1980 and 81.  jet was my first nationally publish picture.

I was meaning national or world publication, but its all good.

Sep 22 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

HokNok wrote:

Rip off!.. wink

Sep 22 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

C R Photography wrote:

Rip off!.. wink

Nothing to add?

Sep 22 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I entered college when I was 17.  It was a hippie college in northern Vermont.  My second year, I was asked to photograph the members of the faculty & staff so that new students knew what their teachers & advisors looked like -- a little booklet was printed up with little bios of the faculty & staff.  It was informal portraits -- for example, I photographed the design teach on his construction site.  My favorites:

Photographing the psychology teacher on the road outside his house -- he was laughing while standing underneath the sign that read "Hidden Drives".

Photographing a dance teacher dancing on the sidewalk of a nearby city.

Photographing the "dean" in the kitchen cleaning all the pots & pans.

'Twas fun.

Sep 22 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Hmmmm, defined "Published?"  I had print ads I shot in national publications as early as 1977.  I directed my first TV commercials that were on the air in 1979.

If you define "published" as a photo used in an article run by the magazine, that would be about 1980 in "OUI" magazine when it was still part of Playboy.

But then, now you all know that I am an old codger, don't 'cha smile

Sep 22 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Infinite Eye

New York, New York, US

I had a bunch of images published in a local newspapers 8 or 9 years ago, but the first big one was a full page photo of DJ Sandra Collins in UR Chicago.  It was about 7 years ago, I think.

Sep 22 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

In the year 2000 (I forget which issue), The Industry Standard, which was a computer industry magazine print magazine, based out of San Francisco, which went belly-up not long after. I shot some lifestyles-ish editorial portraits of dot.com execs.

They paid the highest rates I've ever been paid for editorial work.

Sep 22 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Edmonton Journal, July 1982. Fashion layout for the brand new West Edmonton Mall.

Sep 22 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

(Whoops, got edit screens mixed up.)

The Onion, America's Finest News Source. Ad for "Eurotrash" boutique in Chicago. January 2006.

M

Sep 22 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

As a model, I have been published in 2 of Melvin's covet books, in 48 hours unrated, and was the model for a photo of the week for www.newnudemag.com....theoretically much more to come, but these are things I am actually in. I have also been in some galleries, but don't know which ones.

As a photographer, I am showing in a gallery (fingers crossed) at the end of October, my landscape work, and I have shown my jewelry in a gallery before and will also be doing that at the end of october.

Sep 22 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

The Daily Collegian at Penn State in 1980. Then in The Philadelplhia Inquirer (not the Enquirer--lolol) as a result of that. Other newspapers, magazines and then my solo photography monograph, "Slow Burn: A Photodocument of Centralia, PA" by the University of Pennsylvania Press in 1985 (or 1986? lolol). And then I was a lawyer for 15 years. How depressing is that? So now I'm looking for the first post-lawyer publication. Glad to be back.

Sep 22 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

1965 Donovan Lp Cover

Sep 22 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

I was a evening shift newpaper photographer at 16, in 1957

Sep 22 06 11:47 am Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

First Ad was Joann Etc (lol..omg remembering the photo...) and the first magazine was my second job Cleveland Magazines Celeb Bride Magazine (yearly). I got the cover and 5 pages. Nice memory, the first one is sooo exciting!

Sep 22 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Pixel-Magic Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Food photo in Washington Post

Sep 22 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Gabriel

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Photo of my third model, Johanna, in the UK's Practical Photography magazine. Possibly in '98 or '99. Man, it was so frickin' cool to see my name in print, next to a photo that I had made!

Sep 22 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Probably in 1986 or 1987 with images of the World Fair in Vancouver for the German stock agency "Ute Emmerich" (no relation to the German directors!).

Why do you ask?

Sep 22 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

front page photo of Curtis Sliwa (Guardian Angels Founder) for Daily Telegraph of London, the equivalent of The NY Times in London

Sep 22 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

oldguysrule wrote:
1965 Donovan Lp Cover

which one? he had two albums that year

usa release?

Sep 22 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Associated Press

Sep 22 06 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

Early this year the band Northern Room used several of my photos (front & back cover, plus inside pages of the booklet - well, everything but the stuff on the tray card is mine) for their CD.  I also made the front cover of the Spring 2006 Wisconsin Review with one of the same photos.

Sep 22 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Tom Schultz wrote:
First published --- 1978, high school football and basketball photos in local newspapers (that was a challenge - I was using a 2 1/4" TLR) - I was a high school student then.  Latest -- a college textbook on forensic chemistry.

I stated with a TLR back in 1966 when I joined the HS Yearbook and Newspaper staff. I did football games with it and got shots the other guys missed casue i was a redshirt guard on the team and knew where the plays were designed to go and just went to that spot and waited. First major publication outside of school was Popular Photograpy May, 1970.
Mike

Sep 22 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

UdoR wrote:
Probably in 1986 or 1987 with images of the World Fair in Vancouver for the German stock agency "Ute Emmerich" (no relation to the German directors!).

Why do you ask?

Why do you ask?

Sep 22 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

First published work, I can't remember. Last published work was editorial portraits of the infamous D. Brian Nelson, splattered around China :-)

Sep 23 06 01:21 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Hmmmm.... think it was a cassette cover in the early eighties, or it was one of the metal magazines of the same era.

I keep crappy records. I don't remember what I did an hour ago.

Sep 23 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Super Moto/Cross magazine 1987. Centerfold 250 GP of France

That's very cool. I used to race motocross, and that was my favorite magazine.

Sep 23 06 01:26 am Link