Forums > General Industry > When and where was your first published work?

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Oh technically in 1998 or 1999 while I was still a student I had an album cover of an album of a local singer that ended up getting nationwide distribution and had a brief surprise appearance in the Billboard top 200 (I once saw a copy in a Virgin Megastore in NY, so I guess that counts), but the cover was the result of heavy Photoshop compositing which I did not do, though all the source photos were mine, and was a half-baked concept, with rather half-baked photos anyway, so I don't really count it.

Sep 25 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

Chicago Tribune and Time Magazine in the same week a few years ago.. Some product shots and a headshot. Woopedeeewooo.

Sep 25 06 09:21 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Oh technically in 1998 or 1999 while I was still a student I had an album cover of an album of a local singer that ended up getting nationwide distribution and had a brief surprise appearance in the Billboard top 200 (I once saw a copy in a Virgin Megastore in NY, so I guess that counts), but the cover was the result of heavy Photoshop compositing which I did not do, though all the source photos were mine, and was a half-baked concept, with rather half-baked photos anyway, so I don't really count it.

So why bring it up?

Sep 25 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Um... good question.

Probably because I'm in a storytelling mood. It's been happening a lot lately. Sigh...

Sep 25 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Model submitted her images to Stuff magazine, and they asked me to send a few others for the
Little Black Book. 2 yrs ago. Was up till 3am editing those so i could meet the FedEX deadline.
Kinda cool to see shots in a national publication.

Sep 25 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

DK Hauver

Burbank, California, US

Detour magazine geezzz I think it was like '93.  Some interior shots for an agency plug.  GOOD TIMES!!! (los angeles)

Sep 25 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Joi Carey

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Bio shot of Nina Hugo for the John Santerineross book Dreams.
2004 I think?

Sep 25 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Agony Bliss wrote:
Bio shot of Nina Hugo for the John Santerineross book Dreams.
2004 I think?

Nice.

Sep 26 06 03:58 am Link

Photographer

photo564

Arlington, Indiana, US

My first was in 1970 in The Indianapolis Times. A very boring chrome shovel ground breaking ceromony at 1500 E. Michigan Street. But hey I got three columns wide. Shot with a Mamiya C3 TLR. Funny how I can remember all that from 1970, but can't remember somthing from 3-4 weeks ago.

Sep 26 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Rich Tull

Atlanta, Georgia, US

TravelGirl Magazine, in a spread on the local Atlanta scene, last year. smile

Sep 27 06 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Robert Perez

Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, US

My first tearsheet in a magazine was "Collecting Toys" magazine October 1994.

Sep 27 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

DK Hauver wrote:
Detour magazine geezzz I think it was like '93.  Some interior shots for an agency plug.  GOOD TIMES!!! (los angeles)

When I was a student (mid-late 90s) that magazine was my goal. That was better than Vogue to me. Then they went belly-up before I got my chance. Sigh.

Sep 27 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

Had some stuff in the local paper when I started working for them back in the early 90's

Sep 27 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

RAW-R IMAGE

Los Angeles, California, US

DAMN, DAMN, Damn

I was published in a very Arty International Magazine of the 1970's called Camera. It was a "pure" art photography mag feauturing; monthly, all the greats--from Daguerre? to Avedon--Andre Kertez to Duane Michaels----and the not so greats, like me. Hell, I just opened an issue and it contains photos of Ernst Haas, Art Kane, Jay Maisel, Robert Heinecken (teacher of mine) Pete Turner, Sarah Moon, Cartier-Bresson. Those were the DAYS!!  I was in the "Young Up and Coming Photographers " Issue. One of the proudest moments in my life to be included in a Gallery Magazine of that international stature. It made me realize my photograph will forever be available in the Library of Conress--since they catalogue that issue.

Damn, Damn, Damn because I just realized I LOST my issue.

I don't count the stuff I shoot for the "National Enquirer in about 1975 'cause I never personally saw it--just sent them the rolls and others told me about it.

Been downhill ever since too!

Sep 27 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Studio Yeah-Yeah wrote:
DAMN, DAMN, Damn

I was published in a very Arty International Magazine of the 1970's called Camera. It was a "pure" art photography mag feauturing; monthly, all the greats--from Daguerre? to Avedon--Andre Kertez to Duane Michaels----and the not so greats, like me. Hell, I just opened an issue and it contains photos of Ernst Haas, Art Kane, Jay Maisel, Robert Heinecken (teacher of mine) Pete Turner, Sarah Moon, Cartier-Bresson. Those were the DAYS!!  I was in the "Young Up and Coming Photographers " Issue. One of the proudest moments in my life to be included in a Gallery Magazine of that international stature. It made me realize my photograph will forever be available in the Library of Conress--since they catalogue that issue.

Damn, Damn, Damn because I just realized I LOST my issue.

I don't count the stuff I shoot for the "National Enquirer in about 1975 'cause I never personally saw it--just sent them the rolls and others told me about it.

Been downhill ever since too!

A great magazine, I would love to be published in it. Sigh.well done

Sep 27 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Detroit Hour...photos of an art gallery opening in an old car plant.
Not published, but some of my photos were featured on the WB's ELIMIdate.
Far from the brainiest show on the tube...but a thrill just the same.

Sep 27 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

Madcitychel wrote:

Geezzzz.... I was only 7 y.o. then...

I was 2 y. o.  =P

ON topic: I've still got nothing published unless you count brochures.  The best I've got is a scholarship brochure for Wegman's Grocers & The United Way.

Sep 27 06 10:09 pm Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

https://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8602/myonlymediaappearancenodbykayleighcd4.jpgAprils international issue of Computer Games Magazine in the Vampires of the Masquerade: Bloodlines article. *grunt* and they didnt credit me properly, they put up my email name "kittie13" instead of my actual name like i requested

Sep 28 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Mark Fortenberry

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I think is was January 19, 1978 in The Charlotte News page 3a. That is if you don't count High School yearbooks.

Sep 28 06 11:38 am Link