Forums > General Industry > Move over GWC's, the 1%er's are here.

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Black Ricco wrote:
When a big name client hires a photographer, a model, a team of stylists, assistants, etc... costing thousands and thousands of dollars an hour. They generally have no idea what they want.

You just described a David LaChappelle shoot.  He hires all the team, including the models, and I can guaran-damn-tee you if he has to deliver one image for the ad, he doesn't shoot six pictures and call it a wrap.

Why do you think pros at that level have an assistant whose job it is (or was, in film days) to do nothing but change film and have the next camera ready for the photographer?

Aug 01 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

You just described a David LaChappelle shoot.

David LaChappelle is a no-talent, Photoshop junkie, hack fad punk who's already over...

thank God.

Paris Hilton in a luxury suite giving the finger lit by ambient light. Wow... ooh... genius.

He got 30 minutes of fame instead of the usual 15.

Aug 01 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I can see why you aren't well known in the fashion world.  First you have to develop an eye for it.

Aug 01 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

*2E*

Yorba Linda, California, US

Black Ricco wrote:
Who are the 1%er's? A new breed of digital photographer who lacks the skill, experience,  and knowledge to actually have a preconception of what they want to do, or how they want to approach a project. They come armed with the belief that if you throw enough shit against the wall some of it is bound to stick. They shoot 100 images in the hopes of getting one "keeper" hence the term, 1%er's.

I'm not talking about "event" shooters who are in environments in which they have no control, and shoot thousands of images simply to make sure they covered the event as thoroughly as they could. No, I'm talking about the "machine gunners" who shoot 300 images for each wardrobe change.

Some of these 1%er's even come on internet forums to ask how they can ease their workflows while freely admitting up front that they're going to toss 40 to 50 percent of their images right from the get-go.

The worst thing about a 1%er, other than the fact their work tends to be sub-par,  is they tend to give their work away which is a detriment to all working photographers. The GWC is simply trying to get a quick flash which, although doesn't help our profession, is, I think, less of a danger than the 1%er's who are actually trying to be taken seriously.

gosh...now everyone is going to figure out why i use a 1 mgpxl camera! sad

Aug 01 06 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Aug 02 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

James Jackson wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=65414

Bluster, blather and babble, but you post objective proof.

Bravo, sir, bravo!

Aug 02 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Black Ricco wrote:
I could shoot this in 15 minutes with one light.

Edit... I don't mean to disparage your work, it's a beautiful shot, but I could do it in the time stated with the one light.

Whadda ya think, FKV PhotoGraphics?

Is he talkin' outta of his ass or what?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sounds like someone is getting called out.

Aug 02 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Actually I think Bob just wants to see the bike..

15 minutes or not..

Itz purty...

Aug 02 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Christopher Ambler wrote:

Bluster, blather and babble, but you post objective proof.

Bravo, sir, bravo!

*deep bow*

Thank you sir, thank you.

Aug 02 06 02:19 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

NOW

Can we please get to talking about what *I* think are the *REAL* 1%ers of MM... The people who Only Read 1% of what is written in any given post or thread before they jump up and down and hit the REPLY button!

THOSE 1%ers need to take a chill...

Aug 02 06 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

James Jackson wrote:
NOW

Be quiet James, you have no clue what you're talking about. wink

Aug 02 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

DigitalCMH wrote:

Be quiet James, you have no clue what you're talking about. wink

Like I ever do?

*eyeroll*

smile

Aug 02 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

This is irrelevant drivel.

If you look at my port, yea I know it stinks, you cant tell how many shots I took to get each image. I doubt if Ricco can go to anyone's port and tell them how many shots they took to get each shot.

I like to bracket my models. Get a pose, set the lighting, and then move an arm, tilt the head, change the expression slightly, all small changes. Someimes I shoot 2 and get 1, sometimes I shoot 20 and dont like any. But the point it, YOU CANT TELL WHICH ARE WHICH.

So why care!

Aug 02 06 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Bjorn Lumiere

Asheville, North Carolina, US

oldguysrule wrote:
hey i'm gonna start doing nothing but TFP so i can be cool like you guys

You’ll also have to send irrational hate filled private messages, to those who disagree with you like the OP seems to enjoy!

Aug 02 06 02:56 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Method DOES have something to do with final results.

Aug 02 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Bearz Images wrote:

You’ll also have to send irrational hate filled private messages, to those who disagree with you like the OP seems to enjoy!

*wink... trust me, i know better than to take anything here seriously.

Aug 02 06 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

This is a fun thread, but the original premise is bogus.

Aug 02 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Black Ricco wrote:
When a big name client hires a photographer, a model, a team of stylists, assistants, etc... costing thousands and thousands of dollars an hour. They generally have no idea what they want. Even though they've paid ad agencies hundreds of thousands of dollars, they, nor the agencies have no pre-conceived ideas of the look or theme they want to carry. They leave it up to Brandi to walk onto the white seamless and go through her series of moves, while Fernando machine guns 1000 exposures in the hopes he comes up with something they can use. They have no idea going in where the logo will appear, or what the copy will read or will it will appear. They have no idea whether  the model will face the gutter or away. They have no idea where her chin will appear, or what her arms are doing, or how it will be lit. No, they will simply rely on Fernando to give them something great, and then they will build the ad "around" the shot.

That's how it really happens... uh huh.

Are you serious? Really, please tell me you're not.

Aug 02 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

Aaron S wrote:
Are you serious? Really, please tell me you're not.

He was kidding Aaron...it was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Aug 02 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Aaron S

Syracuse, Indiana, US

Carpe Imago Photography wrote:

He was kidding Aaron...it was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I really can't tell with him. Most of his posts just hurt my head.

Aug 02 06 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Who gives a fuck as long as the 1% that's left looks good?

Aug 02 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Black Ricco wrote:
They shoot 100 images in the hopes of getting one "keeper" hence the term, 1%er's

So am I like a "1%"er AND GWC!?! I have like a 300kilopixel (that's 300 THOUSAND pixels -- SERIOUS resolttion!) camera and I "tether" to my laptop and can use the hard disk in the laptop for storage so I shoot like as fast as I can push the button. I am gentle so it'll take a while for the button to wear out, though. But I get lots of good shots and I can always photoshop them until they look good afterward!

GWC!

Aug 02 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Benedict wrote:
Who gives a fuck as long as the 1% that's left looks good?

I say we truly rebel and lower the standards even further. 0.025% rules!

Aug 02 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

I'm curious. If the client spends many thousands of dollars on the set, the models, the stylists, etc don't they deserve a little show for their money? I would expect that. The caterers, flashing lights, hundreds of pictures, Madonna's "Vogue" playing in the background, the photographer yelling "Work it baby!" to the model. The whole dog and pony show.

Can't come and take six pictures and say that you are done! People would be insulted.

Aug 02 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

hell you know how many ADs come out here to NYC to shoot (when they could get the same results in their second or third tier market) just so they can part in NYC and get the "whole dog and pony show"?  I've met, many....

There is another reason playboy takes so many shots, as do many other photographers working with new models (playmates usually have very little, if any, modeling experience).  And that is that when working with new models you need a healthy dose of luck.  Sorry, but it's true.  I don't care how carefully you pose her, how well you light her or how much motivation/direction you give her, a new model just can't turn that certain "look" on - in fact she doesn't even know what it is yet.  But if she likes you, and she's comfortable, and if you experiment and shoot and play with her and maybe tease her a bit, you can pull it out of her.  She won't even know when she does it.  And when you go "THAT, THAT WAS IT - DO THAT" it will disappear and she will look at you like a deer caught in headlights and you'll have to start all over again.

If you want to work with new models (and some experienced ones) and you want them to look like mannequins with no facial expressions, then shoot them like a still life and you will get just that.  If you want to take a girl who's never posed before and get that sparkle of life out of her then be prepared to shoot - a lot.

Aug 02 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Black Ricco wrote:
You just described a David LaChappelle shoot.

David LaChappelle is a no-talent, Photoshop junkie, hack fad punk who's already over...

thank God.

Paris Hilton in a luxury suite giving the finger lit by ambient light. Wow... ooh... genius.

He got 30 minutes of fame instead of the usual 15.

I happened to glance at this thread and couldn't help but make the following screen capture. Read the live ads just above the post.

M

https://www.datahero.com/stmarc/singlepics/lachapelle.jpg

Aug 02 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

not sure what you're trying to say with that smashing coincidence... not sure i'm overly impressed by google ads hawking prints. was i supposed to be?

Aug 02 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

oldguysrule wrote:
not sure what you're trying to say with that smashing coincidence... not sure i'm overly impressed by google ads hawking prints. was i supposed to be?

At your age isn't it difficult to do anything? Including being impressed. smile

Aug 02 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

oldguysrule wrote:

No. I just found it Amusing that there were two ads for LaChapelle prints right above the message referring to him as a no-talent hack. I suppose if you must have some deeper meaning, it's ironic that while the poster - himself a photographer of reasonable skill, more than good enough to justify an informed opinion - considers LaChapelle inferior, I haven't seen a lot of ads for his signed and numbered prints and such ads for LaChapelle's work are so ubiquitous as to appear right above his message.

I don't know that I'd consider him a no-talent hack, but I'm not really all that impressed with him either, personally. He's almost certainly much better than me - although I've never seen what he could do with the limitations of my equipment - but he's no towering giant of the Arts, in my opinion.

M

Aug 02 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

oldguysrule wrote:

He's talking about David LaChapelle on the post and LOOK AT THE GOOGLE ADs!

They're for David LaChapelle. Geez! you're a photographer (visual, you know) and are supposed to notice these things.

The thing is, I can relax now knowing I'm only half way to 1%ers. Not having achived that status yet.

Aug 02 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Black Ricco wrote:
Who are the 1%er's? A new breed of digital photographer who lacks the skill, experience,  and knowledge to actually have a preconception of what they want to do, or how they want to approach a project. They come armed with the belief that if you throw enough shit against the wall some of it is bound to stick. They shoot 100 images in the hopes of getting one "keeper" hence the term, 1%er's.

I'm not talking about "event" shooters who are in environments in which they have no control, and shoot thousands of images simply to make sure they covered the event as thoroughly as they could. No, I'm talking about the "machine gunners" who shoot 300 images for each wardrobe change.

Some of these 1%er's even come on internet forums to ask how they can ease their workflows while freely admitting up front that they're going to toss 40 to 50 percent of their images right from the get-go.

The worst thing about a 1%er, other than the fact their work tends to be sub-par,  is they tend to give their work away which is a detriment to all working photographers. The GWC is simply trying to get a quick flash which, although doesn't help our profession, is, I think, less of a danger than the 1%er's who are actually trying to be taken seriously.

Well, you have set yourself up here, haven't you?

I do, though, agree with the OP.  Yes, of course there are good professional photographers who have a 1% shooting average, but they know what they're doing, and the 1% that is just right won't differ that much from the 99% that aren't quite right.

For too many photographers the 1% is sheer luck, and the 99% is rubbish.  I would like to think I'm in the first group, but I suspect I'm in the second.  I do work on the theory that if you tell someone loudly enough and often enough that your work is brilliant then they'll believe you.  And I also work on the theory that if you take a mediocre print, mount it and frame it correctly, and give it a pretentious title, people will think it's art.

Aug 02 06 03:07 pm Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

Michael Bell wrote:
You dont see many REAL photoshoots do you? You know how many thousands of pics Playboy and other magazines shoot in a session with a model just to find 5-6 pics for a layout? A couple hundred is nothing...

Exactly.

Aug 02 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

After reading this entire silly thread I really feel like making a pin that says "I AM A 1%er! AND PROUD" and putting it on my camera bag.

I often take at least 600 to 800 pictures on a typical photo shoot.  Why you might ask?  Is it because I have no talent?  Nope, it's because I love to experiment!!  Isn't that what photography is all about?  Looking at a scene and exploring every angle, every possible interpretation.  Usually my initial instincts about a scene are spot on, but there's no harm in exploring anyway.

I sat down and talked with the studio manager for Richard Avedon (perhaps one of the greatest portrait artists in history) once and she explained to me how Avedon used to take hundreds upon hundreds of shots in the studio - and this was on film.  Why? Because he could and he was a perfectionist.  It seemed to work for him!  They used to hire starving students later to shred the bad negatives and prints. 

Half the time when shooting nudes I'll take five or more exposures of a single pose just to make sure the model didn't blink.  If a photographer feels the needs to take a bazillion shots to make sure they have every possible detail the way they want it then all the power to them.

Aug 02 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

I agree with Ricco.  I think the 1% tag is being focused on too much here.  What he is saying is (if I'm interpreting it correctly) that photographers who lack skill and preparation skills for studio environments are watering down the talent pool for those who are more accomplished, talented and skillful in their photographics.  But Ricco, everyone has to start somewhere.

Additionally there is nothing wrong with the practice of shooting a high number of frames to get that one shot that works.  Its an accepted practice that has been done for years.. now A. Adams, is a completely different story. 

Some photographers (especially some celebrity portriait-ists) only have a few minute window in which to shoot so they'll put quite a bit into prep knowing they'll have 10 minutes with their subjects.  Snap as many frames as it takes and rely on their skill to know what works and what doesnt.

I propose the 1% tag not be used and simply be replaced with "Machine Gunner".... in this context it kindof makes more sense.  A machine gunner points in the general direction of a target and lets thousands of rounds fly, hopes for the best.  1% = problematic because that would include even some of the best shooters in the world.

In summation, if a photographer is educated and skillful, he/she will create higher quality work than those who are less... pure and simple.  Bonus if he/she has vision.

Aug 02 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I would imagine that 2+2=4 hurts your head.

Aug 02 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Black Ricco wrote:
The point is no one could afford to shoot 300 looks per view on film. The polaroids, the film, the processing, it would be totally cost prohibitive. You'd have to charge your client $400.00 an hour to make a living.

The discipline is fast disappearing. The preconception, the planning, all going south. That's my point.

There used to be a time the AD would come to you with a detailed layout of what he had in mind. You sat down, held a pre-production meeting, and you both, sometimes along with a set designer and stylist, decided the best way to approach the project. You knew going in what the goal was, and you all worked together in the most efficient way possible to achieve that goal.

Now it seems to be all run & gun, work on spec, and hope for the best.

I like this point.

Digital has usherd in an age where shooting tons of pics is the norm for the Novice shoter. And even some of the major mags do it.

I like to set up and prepare. I like to mold the odels, adjust the lights and keep moving. I think I am down to about 60 shots per look on TFP's, and for client shoots I will bump that to about 100. For products I only shoot about 30 images per.

I really dont want to sift thorugh a ton of images I know I cant use. Happy accidents happen, but I'd rather catch my images purposfully.

In the end for a business you must have a great work flow and deliver on time and on budget. 3000 images will not always get you there, and sometimes it just may.

I like to keep my numbers low as a rule.

Aug 02 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

DezLand Studios

San Antonio, Florida, US

I geuss I am a 1%er in a 3 hour period I shoot about 200-250 pics...I like to make sure I got everything you know, and Im still learning..i am still severely amateur wink but I notice a lot of times one photo would stand out from the rest..and it really makes my heart flutter..and I feel better because i got what I wanted and thats all that matters..yea cheesy huh?..lol..but thats just me.
-Kira

Aug 03 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

oldguysrule wrote:
if i EVER shoot more than 1/2 dozen images to get a keeper, shoot ME. 15 page editorial... perhaps 120 images.

not sure which REAL photoshoots you have been privvy to.

I think we have a similar ratio.

I usually get 16/17 distinct images (pose, expression etc.) per about 20 frames that could be used and are part of the later selection process. Closed eyes, strobe didn't fire etc. are deleted immediately.

What I have to critizise with some photographers, even commercial ones, who proudly announce the gargantuan amount of frames they were shooting and using the highest number as a measurement how "hard" they were working.

Shooting in burst and hoping to get a lucky shot is not how I measure work, but the quality, meaning how many useable images are being produced.

I think that in my case, it's the result of shooting film from childhood on, and the development of photos was always expensive... and I never had much money, so I trained myself not to hit the shutter until I "felt" the image.

Aug 03 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Gerry Hanan

Round Rock, Texas, US

I am passionate in my ignorance and because I know nothing about photography except what a few different settings do on my camera, I am a self professed 1%er

.... but I take a little comfort after hearing Heidi Klum on Conan O'Brien ten mins ago on NBC Thursday August 10th 2006 saying she has been on beaches with photographers "all day long just working towards that 1 shot" ...

poor girl - even she has to work with 1%ers, they are everywhere smile

Aug 09 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

A One Percenter or 1%'er' is a full member (known as "fully-patched") of an outlaw motorcycle club.

The term comes from a famous statement made by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) that 99% of motorcyclists and clubs are law-abiding citizens and only 1% are not.

Those who claim to be 1%'ers are proud to be a part of that group. The one percenter term and accompanying patch are worn as a badge of honor by so-called outlaw bikers, and is also meant to instill respect and fear from regular motorcyclists, and the general community.

Members of motorcycle gangs such as Hells Angels, Outlaws, Pagans, and the Bandidos have members that wear the rhombus-shaped patch with "1%" or "1%'er" inside, usually in their gang's colors, on their vests or motorcycle leathers.

Sorry, first thing that came to mind =P

Aug 10 06 02:07 am Link