Forums > General Industry > Move over GWC's, the 1%er's are here.

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Ched wrote:
BillyT is persona non grata, banned at least 3 times before using different accounts.

Good riddance.

Oct 12 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Black Ricco wrote:
Who are the 1%er's? A new breed of digital photographer who lacks the skill, experience,  and knowledge to actually have a preconception of what they want to do, or how they want to approach a project. They come armed with the belief that if you throw enough shit against the wall some of it is bound to stick. They shoot 100 images in the hopes of getting one "keeper" hence the term, 1%er's.

I'm not talking about "event" shooters who are in environments in which they have no control, and shoot thousands of images simply to make sure they covered the event as thoroughly as they could. No, I'm talking about the "machine gunners" who shoot 300 images for each wardrobe change.

Some of these 1%er's even come on internet forums to ask how they can ease their workflows while freely admitting up front that they're going to toss 40 to 50 percent of their images right from the get-go.

The worst thing about a 1%er, other than the fact their work tends to be sub-par,  is they tend to give their work away which is a detriment to all working photographers. The GWC is simply trying to get a quick flash which, although doesn't help our profession, is, I think, less of a danger than the 1%er's who are actually trying to be taken seriously.

And who said elitism in the photography industry is dead? I guess I'm a 1%er because every commercial shoot I've been on requires a vast amount of shots. My clients could care less whether I take 100, 1000 or 5...as long as we get the shot. And thankfully, with the advent of digital, there's no harm in taking as many shots as you want for whatever reason. How many shots would be acceptable to you? You're only a quality photographer if you fill up 1% of your 4gb CF card? And even in the case of a tfp shoot with a model to develop her portfolio, is it better to provide her with 100 photos or 1?

Oct 12 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

I think people who began photography using digital have a tendency to do this.
Those who shot film for years (with the associated costs for each frame), are a bit more judicious typically. Then there are the people that cut their teeth on medium format and large format film, and they really learned to make shots count.

John

Oct 12 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Trevor Borchelt

Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, US

The machine gun shooter.

The machine gun revolutionized warfare.  During wwI  it allowed long lines of german troops to defend against overwhelming numbers for longer than otherwise possible.  Almost all combat  groups now have machine gunners.  The spray and pray folk.

They still have sharp shooters.  One shot one kill types, a mile out and no one will even know where it came from.

My point being, there are reasons for spray and pray.  Low return situations, I shoot weddings, dancing shots can be unpredictable.  The arms flying about, blinking, aunt so and so backed half into the shot of the B&G.  There are also reasons for knowing what the hell you are doing in order to get it the first time.  News Guys, once in a life time shots, and large group formals.  No pressure- a dozen people that want to get to a party and one bride that deserves great pictures.

Live and let live.

PS

Oct 12 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

SI Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Black Ricco wrote:
Who are the 1%er's? A new breed of digital photographer who lacks the skill, experience,  and knowledge to actually have a preconception of what they want to do, or how they want to approach a project. They come armed with the belief that if you throw enough shit against the wall some of it is bound to stick. They shoot 100 images in the hopes of getting one "keeper" hence the term, 1%er's.

I'm not talking about "event" shooters who are in environments in which they have no control, and shoot thousands of images simply to make sure they covered the event as thoroughly as they could. No, I'm talking about the "machine gunners" who shoot 300 images for each wardrobe change.

Some of these 1%er's even come on internet forums to ask how they can ease their workflows while freely admitting up front that they're going to toss 40 to 50 percent of their images right from the get-go.

The worst thing about a 1%er, other than the fact their work tends to be sub-par,  is they tend to give their work away which is a detriment to all working photographers. The GWC is simply trying to get a quick flash which, although doesn't help our profession, is, I think, less of a danger than the 1%er's who are actually trying to be taken seriously.

"What about us that fall under the 12%ers?"

Oct 12 06 11:17 am Link