Forums > General Industry > Move over GWC's, the 1%er's are here.

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

UdoR wrote:

I think we have a similar ratio.

I usually get 16/17 distinct images (pose, expression etc.) per about 20 frames that could be used and are part of the later selection process. Closed eyes, strobe didn't fire etc. are deleted immediately.

What I have to critizise with some photographers, even commercial ones, who proudly announce the gargantuan amount of frames they were shooting and using the highest number as a measurement how "hard" they were working.

Shooting in burst and hoping to get a lucky shot is not how I measure work, but the quality, meaning how many useable images are being produced.

I think that in my case, it's the result of shooting film from childhood on, and the development of photos was always expensive... and I never had much money, so I trained myself not to hit the shutter until I "felt" the image.

thats what i admire about film photographers. I have admittedly never touched a film SLR, but I've been taking steps to reduce my dependency on the newer devises, such as the LCD screen, by shutting it off.  By slowing down the process, my brain is allowed more time to think and compose properly smile We live in a world where "fast = better" but i don't see the point if these devices operate faster than the operator.

Aug 10 06 02:13 am Link

Photographer

ert3006

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Black Ricco wrote:
You just described a David LaChappelle shoot.

David LaChappelle is a no-talent, Photoshop junkie, hack fad punk who's already over...

thank God.

Paris Hilton in a luxury suite giving the finger lit by ambient light. Wow... ooh... genius.

He got 30 minutes of fame instead of the usual 15.

Dude, i checked out your port, you should slow down.

Aug 10 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

ert3006

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:
Only results at acceptable cost matter.  As the cost of "film" is no longer an issue, it doesnt matter how many shots it takes to get the one.

In my engineering days, I remember there were software jocks who thought they were the shit because they wrote in assembler, very close to the very arcane language microprocessors understand.  Along came higher level tools that allowed another group of software jocks to write conceptually, getting away from the nitty gritty details.  There was some tension between these two groups, as if one was somehow better than the other. 

Yeah, the conceptual software guys didnt get into the details, but it allowed them to think on a higher plane -- it freed them to experiment and work toward greater levels of functionality than the detail oriented guys.

Photography is on a technical path of innovation.  Cameras and associated technologies will get cheaper.  Ultimately it wont matter what your skill with the equipment is, but can you deliver the goods at acceptable cost.

Thats if you want to make it a business.  If you wanna fuck around as an artiste, sit in your studio and shoot with a pinhole camera and make fun of everybody else who pushes a shutter.

This hits closet the mark for me.  As I have said, i am no photographer, i beleive that there is such thing as a "photographer" who knows exactly how to control light, knows the correct ratio between apeture settings and iso, knows how to capture, develop, and print techinically perfect photographs.  I'm not one of these.  some of you are.  I am, however, a visual artist, and, although you may not be able to tell from my port, i use the newer technology to replace knowledge that it would take years and years to be able to increase the technical spect of photogaphy.  I am more concerned with creating an aesthetic, not what my light meter reads, not whether there is to much contrasty light in a room, not whether or not the picture will be a micron sharper if i stop down one step.

I think this is where the difference lays.  an artist's shooting ratio may be high compared to the technically gifted - mine isn't i should say - but that does not mean they do not deserve respect if they are producing quality images.  Images with soul.  I have seen ALOT of images on this sight that are technically stunning, but haven't got one little spark of life, and i have seen blurry oversatureated blownout snaps that take my brath away.

Aug 10 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

ert3006

Only results at acceptable cost matter.  As the cost of "film" is no longer an issue, it doesnt matter how many shots it takes to get the one.

In my engineering days, I remember there were software jocks who thought they were the shit because they wrote in assembler, very close to the very arcane language microprocessors understand.  Along came higher level tools that allowed another group of software jocks to write conceptually, getting away from the nitty gritty details.  There was some tension between these two groups, as if one was somehow better than the other. 

Yeah, the conceptual software guys didnt get into the details, but it allowed them to think on a higher plane -- it freed them to experiment and work toward greater levels of functionality than the detail oriented guys.

Photography is on a technical path of innovation.  Cameras and associated technologies will get cheaper.  Ultimately it wont matter what your skill with the equipment is, but can you deliver the goods at acceptable cost.

Thats if you want to make it a business.  If you wanna fuck around as an artiste, sit in your studio and shoot with a pinhole camera and make fun of everybody else who pushes a shutter.

This hits closet the mark for me.  As I have said, i am no photographer, i beleive that there is such thing as a "photographer" who knows exactly how to control light, knows the correct ratio between apeture settings and iso, knows how to capture, develop, and print techinically perfect photographs.  I'm not one of these.  some of you are.  I am, however, a visual artist, and, although you may not be able to tell from my port, i use the newer technology to replace knowledge that it would take years and years to be able to increase the technical spect of photogaphy.  I am more concerned with creating an aesthetic, not what my light meter reads, not whether there is to much contrasty light in a room, not whether or not the picture will be a micron sharper if i stop down one step.

I think this is where the difference lays.  an artist's shooting ratio may be high compared to the technically gifted - mine isn't i should say - but that does not mean they do not deserve respect if they are producing quality images.  Images with soul.  I have seen ALOT of images on this sight that are technically stunning, but haven't got one little spark of life, and i have seen blurry oversatureated blownout snaps that take my breath away.

Aug 10 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

"Yada yada yada I'm better than you blah blah blah"

When will people realize that  in addition to creating images a photographer also has to be able to work with people and possable have some type of social skills.

I don't care if it takes you 5 or 500 shots to get the one you need, If you are an asshole no one will want to get close enough to you to buy it.

Aug 10 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:

When will people realize that  in addition to creating images a photographer also has to be able to work with people and possable have some type of social skills.

I don't care if it takes you 5 or 500 shots to get the one you need, If you are an asshole no one will want to get close enough to you to buy it.

Uh oh.. You weren't here for Black Ricco's coming out party..

Whoof.. I smell a cat fight.. Someone's gonna have blood in their stool tonight!

...Nope can't think of anything grosser than that.

Aug 10 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

The fond term of endearment for the detailed guys in Engineering now is "anal retentive".  So I guess in photography there may be only 2 types the "1%ers" and the "anal retentives".  I haven't heard an in between.

Aug 10 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Rich Davis wrote:
The fond term of endearment for the detailed guys in Engineering now is "anal retentive".  So I guess in photography there may be only 2 types the "1%ers" and the "anal retentives".  I haven't heard an in between.

The ones in between are called the "taints" or "tainters" or "tainteithers" or "the taint". You get no where with the taint.

Aug 10 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jamie Baker

Palo Alto, California, US

James Jackson wrote:

I have a lot of respect for you, but I've never worked with you to see how you get 1 in 6 for an editorial or an ad or anything else for that matter.  I mean, I know it's possible, but there's a reason why it's 3 rolls of 120 and not 1 roll of 120 per outfit, and we talked about that in the "What does an average commercial shoot look like" thread.  There's so much money invested in some of these things that great photographer or not, you're going to be taking 100-300 images of each outfit...just for kicks.

AD: hrm...well...this is one of 14 shots I'm doing today, so this setup just set the company back $4,000.... "Could you shoot just one more for me to make sure we got it"

Good point. 
For Portraits I shoot 3 rolls (different flavors each).  Not just for safety,  but for choice.  People like choice and plus not everyone agrees a what a good image is.

Now if you are shooting still life, then only a few shots is needed, but people... the mood changes in an instant.

Aug 10 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

ert3006

Experimental Photoworks wrote:

very good point, actually it is rude to point, it reflects poor social skills.

Aug 11 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

I toss 40-50% of my pictures from the get-go, if not more.  While I agree with the OP that there are those among us who shoot thousands of frames in order to get a decent one by chance, I don't think I've ever met a single serious photographer who ever releases anything more than a small percentage (MAYBE 10%) of all the shots they take.

Aug 11 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Bump. I'm just being a prick.

Oct 11 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I'm still waiting for Ricco to add a decent fashion shot to his port.

So how many terms are you going to throw at us until one sticks? "Recordist?" That one flopped. 1%? Probably not much traction here, either.

I, too, lament the onset of 'spray and pray,' but after your idiotic 'recordist' thread, I've decided that you're probably unable to take a decent people picture, and so take it out on those of us who can.

Oct 11 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

John Jebbia wrote:

And you are very good at it

I guess I am a 1%er probably the original 1%er. . .

Oct 11 06 08:45 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Who is a GWC? and how come I havet met them if there are so many of them here?

D@mn I always get to find out everything the last.

Oct 11 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

John Jebbia wrote:

I thought this BS looked familliar.  Then I saw the date.  Trying to stir things up John?

Oct 11 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Focus

Glendale, Arizona, US

sounds like someone wants a T-Shirt!

Oct 11 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

I figure I shoot about 500 shots for every 1 that I keep.  I guess this OP was about me smile

Oct 11 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Digital Focus wrote:
sounds like someone wants a T-Shirt!

Uhhh.. I been eligible 4 times over.

Oct 11 06 09:51 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

John Jebbia wrote:

sounds to me like you're bored and want to see the monkeys fling poo at eachother some more! smile

Oct 11 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Madcitychel wrote:

me me me!
I'm a guy!
I have a camera!

Oct 11 06 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

sounds to me like you're bored and want to see the monkeys fling poo at eachother some more! smile

fling poo = ancient asian art of excreable self-offense..?

Oct 11 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Madcitychel wrote:

Sorry sweetie, I must have overlooked you...  Come on over, I'll bring you up to speed!

Oct 11 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

BillyT

Chicago, Illinois, US

Black Ricco wrote:
You dont see many REAL photoshoots do you? You know how many thousands of pics Playboy and other magazines shoot in a session with a model just to find 5-6 pics for a layout? A couple hundred is nothing...

These kinda guys crack me up. They get a hot blonde with new tits on a sailboat, something they've done  dozens of times before, use the sun as a backlight, have a flunkie hold a reflector, pound off 3000 shots to get one that doesn't suck, and think they're hot shit.

Try shooting a fully chromed Harley engine and then tell me how much you know about lighting and photography.

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/Black_Ricco/Harley.jpg

Ricco, you can't take these website photographers seriously. They have day time jobs to support their hobby because they aren't good enough to make a living at photography.

Terrific job on your lighting style for the Harley shot. No hot spots at all. What I think is the problem is simple. Most hobby photographers have never shot with film for years, so they don't understand the need to understand photography.

I came across this with a website model. I shot to rolls of 36 and she said, "Is that all you are going to take"? I said, yes, I have the proper exposure and I bracketed my shots.

After all, we were only doing 4 poses. So she said to me, "Most photographers take at least 300 images of me"! I said, I don't no why, since all you have to do is shoot correctly. That was when people started to buy digital cameras and I didn't even think about going digital.

Since the same thing happend with the press cameras, if you didn't go to the SLR's, that left you behind, so I made the move to Digital and although it's nice to see a thumb nail and get an idea of the way it looks, it is still a good idea to have a knowledge of photography, and not rely on taking 1000's of pictures because a person doesn't know what to do, and just plays the odds of getting a good one.

Then comes the lighting which is so important. Understanding the laws of inversion, working with natural light and temperature change through the day. Working with daylight or tungsten film, opposite from having a digital camera set on automatic light balance and expecting the camera to come close.

No, Ricco, you are probably a very experienced photographer and it's nice that you were willing to share the image of the Harley, but there are a few things you must know.

There are professional critics on this website, and they feel if you are new to this website, you need to wait your turn before you start posting things. It doesn't matter if you have had years of experience and paid jobs. It's all about ego's.

So with ego's, goes critics, and these critics will say you scanned the image, or tell your what is wrong with the image, instead of just admitting or even knowing how difficult of a shot that is.

Just let them enjoy their little moments on a website, Ricco. They have to go to work everyday and be frustrated at the fact that they can not turn their photography skills into a living.

I would share images to thise little feeble minded people of what I get paid for, but they would only say, "You got paid for that"! After all, they aren't publishers, who know what sells, they are personal critics.

Oct 11 06 10:22 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

PapaVic Photography wrote:

me me me!
I'm a guy!
I have a camera!

smile
Ok, who is the rest 98%? wink

Oct 11 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Madcitychel wrote:

smile
Ok, who is the rest 98%? wink

they don't count

it's all about meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

wink

Oct 11 06 10:39 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Paramour Productions wrote:

Sorry sweetie, I must have overlooked you...  Come on over, I'll bring you up to speed!

Ha!

Riiiiiiight! like it is possible to overlook me!  Just be honest - you didn't know what that was either!

Oct 11 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

lol... who dredged up this thread?

Oct 11 06 10:43 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

oldguysrule wrote:

same here...then I saw him...up...up there...

Oct 11 06 10:49 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

oldguysrule wrote:

The Jebbia.

Oct 11 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

LOL it was Jebbia...
yes, dear, you were being a prick

Oct 11 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

BillyT wrote:
I came across this with a website model. I shot to rolls of 36 and she said, "Is that all you are going to take"? I said, yes, I have the proper exposure and I bracketed my shots.

You "shot to rolls of 36?" I usually like to shoot to some Bloodhound Gang or Garbage. I've never heard of "rolls of 36." Are they a new act?

And I was just wondering, if you have the proper exposure, why were you bracketing?

Oct 11 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

DFWlens

Dallas, Texas, US

FOOD FOR THOUGHT -

"...a Sports Illustrated swimsuit photographer who shot 40,000 pictures on location to get sixty for print- and that was with a full makeup and hair crew, photographic assistants, and professional models!"

--Professional Model Portfolios, Billy Pegram, p 46

A 0.001% er.

Oct 12 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

your post was total BS.

Black Ricco wrote:
I'm not talking about "event" shooters who are in environments in which they have no control, and shoot thousands of images simply to make sure they covered the event as thoroughly as they could. No, I'm talking about the "machine gunners" who shoot 300 images for each wardrobe change.

Oct 12 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

Still Image Studios

Seattle, Washington, US

BillyT wrote:
There are professional critics on this website, and they feel if you are new to this website, you need to wait your turn before you start posting things. It doesn't matter if you have had years of experience and paid jobs. It's all about ego's.

So with ego's, goes critics, and these critics will say you scanned the image, or tell your what is wrong with the image, instead of just admitting or even knowing how difficult of a shot that is.

Just let them enjoy their little moments on a website, Ricco. They have to go to work everyday and be frustrated at the fact that they can not turn their photography skills into a living.

I would share images to thise little feeble minded people of what I get paid for, but they would only say, "You got paid for that"! After all, they aren't publishers, who know what sells, they are personal critics.

Some of us don't necessarily want to turn our photography skills into a living (because we'd rather stay with our six figure day job consulting gigs, but maybe that's just me).

Or how about this -- put the high horse away and offer constructive criticism that can help everyone. This is a community, not a place where you can throw around your ego and think you are somehow this professional photographer. Treat everyone else how you expect to be treated -- with respect.

Oct 12 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

BillyT is persona non grata, banned at least 3 times before using different accounts.

Oct 12 06 02:57 am Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

oldguysrule wrote:

if i EVER shoot more than 1/2 dozen images to get a keeper, shoot ME. 15 page editorial... perhaps 120 images.

not sure which REAL photoshoots you have been privvy to.

Probably one of the most honest answers Ive ever seen on this site
Yes, although I think you are being a little conservative but,If you havent got a good eitorial after shooting 300 frames......forget it..

Oct 12 06 03:06 am Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

DFWlens wrote:
FOOD FOR THOUGHT-

In one of my (dated) photography books the author talks about a colleague of his that shot a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. In the pre-digital world of 35mm, he shot OVER 40,000 frames and to end up with 60ish in the magazine.

A 0.001% er.

No...a crap photographer

Oct 12 06 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

PN Photo wrote:

Some of us don't necessarily want to turn our photography skills into a living (because we'd rather stay with our six figure day job consulting gigs, but maybe that's just me).

Or how about this -- put the high horse away and offer constructive criticism that can help everyone. This is a community, not a place where you can throw around your ego and think you are somehow this professional photographer. Treat everyone else how you expect to be treated -- with respect.

Yeah, that's just you, but if you're hiring. big_smile

Oct 12 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Trevor Borchelt

Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, US

Kevin Bargeron wrote:
interesting term.  I'm glad I'm moving away from this the more I learn.  Funny thing is, I expect to get crap shots because I can't move my fingers (really, I can't).  Camera shake kills me all the time. 

I sincerely hope you can see some progression of quality in my work.  I do.  I don't want to be a 1%er mommy.  wahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

More light! and a higher shutter speed.  Rickets can't even stop you.  Ok it can stop you from winning a game of pickup sticks or applying lipstick.

smile You can do it.

Oct 12 06 10:55 am Link