Forums > General Industry > Not looking for TFP

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Alex C wrote:
.............. Do people not think I'm worth enough to pay? Do they think I will grace their portfolios for free?

there are MANY, MANY, photogs that could very easily say the same thing on this
site. we have to by the camera to do the shoot, and , THEN ,. we have a couple of hrs behind the computer to work the pics.
of course if you can find some company to GIVE, me  some great quality camera equipment, lense, lights, flash, tripod, cases, ......then i would see your point.
do you think this stuff comes to us for free, i sure wish it did.
i have about $25,000 worth of equipment. I'll be glad to take some for free, i have a very long list of wants, including a newer more powerful computer.
well best you and have a nice day.

ps...... you never know who the photog is/ could turn out to be, he/she may be the person that a company wants, that has a BIG budget, and the photog is the one that hires the model.......you never know, think a little bit.!!!!!!!

Jun 25 06 02:40 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ganeshkarma

New York, New York, US

Alex C wrote:
You guys turned this around and flipped it upside down. I was not saying I will never in my life do TFP. I am a photographer myself and I love art. What I was saying is that I was not interested in TFP with almost everyone that asks me! I have built my portfolio, and OUCH, if some of you think it is not up to par, I can say it will only get better. But thanx for trying to put me down.

Are you photographer for real (getting paid for doing it and being published in magazines) or you take pictures. Not only do you have attitude that you are better than anyone else, but you also belittle their profession as well. If being photographer is that easy...don't you think everyone would do it?
Now since you probably own some makeup, I assume you are makeup artist too.
Your average looks are definitely getting uglier by every post I read. Speaking of grace..............you certainly have none.

Jun 25 06 03:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

SNAP!

Jun 25 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

It's amazing how many people continue to post on this thread and show just how poor their "Reading Comprehension" skills are!

I'm about to post a tribute to all who don't understand the meaning of "grace."

wink

Jun 25 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

JaxDigitalPhotographer

Jacksonville, Florida, US

It irritates me when I see a MODEL post something along these lines: "Looking for a photographer to shoot TFP to help build my portfolio". Gee, give me a break. Does this person not think that we (photographers) have to earn a living too?

Jun 25 06 03:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ganeshkarma

New York, New York, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
It's amazing how many people continue to post on this thread and show just how poor their "Reading Comprehension" skills are!

wink

From dictionary:
GRACE
Seemingly effortless beauty or charm of movement, form, or proportion.
A characteristic or quality pleasing for its charm or refinement.
A sense of fitness or propriety.

A disposition to be generous or helpful; goodwill.
Mercy; clemency.

Jun 25 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

wink

Patrick, while its nice that you are defending this model but I think she meant
what she meant.  Grace as in appear.  This along with her other colorfull
comments say she's not a very nice person.  She has insulted several photographers here as well as some models.  Some of it was I think was in
defense of herself but some was just because she seems to just be kinda mean.

Jun 25 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

kensee

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Patrick Walberg wrote:

wink

Yeah, amazing how many folks monitor this thread.  But then again I can see the need to keep the innocent/naive minds safe - gotta keep a watchul eye otherwise free thought may breakout.

Jun 25 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

wink

Hmmm, how does the "Your work sucks" PM she sent me qualify as my comprehension being poor?

Jun 25 06 03:38 pm Link

Model

CrystalNichole

College Station, Arkansas, US

George ephrem wrote:
there are MANY, MANY, photogs that could very easily say the same thing on this
site. we have to by the camera to do the shoot, and , THEN ,. we have a couple of hrs behind the computer to work the pics.
of course if you can find some company to GIVE, me  some great quality camera equipment, lense, lights, flash, tripod, cases, ......then i would see your point.
do you think this stuff comes to us for free, i sure wish it did.
i have about $25,000 worth of equipment. I'll be glad to take some for free, i have a very long list of wants, including a newer more powerful computer.
well best you and have a nice day.

ps...... you never know who the photog is/ could turn out to be, he/she may be the person that a company wants, that has a BIG budget, and the photog is the one that hires the model.......you never know, think a little bit.!!!!!!!

I COMPLETELY agree with the idea that photographers should be paid for working on a model's portfolio, especially if the photographer is not in need of portfolio development.  If I had more money, there are a TON of photographers I would absolutely love to pay for their time.

AND...If I ever happen to come across more money, I most definitely will repay those photographers who have helped me in the past, despite their willingness to help without compensation. 

Yeah...so I have to drive 4 hours to Dallas to shoot and purchase clothing and makeup, but it will never compare to the amount of time the photographer will ultimately spend on the shoot nor the amount of money that went into their equipment and studio location.

Jun 25 06 04:56 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

CrystalNichole wrote:
AND...If I ever happen to come across more money, I most definitely will repay those photographers who have helped me in the past, despite their willingness to help without compensation.

LOL, no you won't.

Jun 25 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

nicci

Columbus, Ohio, US

Nerlande wrote:

LOL, no you won't.

nerlande, photographer? when the fuck are you going to shoot me, then?

Jun 25 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

That's it!  Now you've done it!  You've stepped across the line of credibility.  I don't believe for an instant that you're actually "amazed."

er, are you, really?

Jun 25 06 05:08 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Nerlande wrote:
LOL, no you won't.

nicci wrote:
nerlande, photographer? when the fuck are you going to shoot me, then?

I will...give me some time dammit!

smile

Jun 25 06 05:10 pm Link

Model

nicci

Columbus, Ohio, US

Nerlande wrote:

Nerlande wrote:
LOL, no you won't.

I will...give me some time dammit!

smile

I will literally, quote you on this too!

Jun 25 06 05:11 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

maybe get with a legit angency...and u will make some money.

Jun 25 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

I was going to say something witty, but I've decided not to grace this discussion with my intellect.

Jun 25 06 06:46 pm Link

Model

Zakiya Soleil

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Class Act Photography wrote:
I was going to say something witty, but I've decided not to grace this discussion with my intellect.

hahaha!!!! Theres that word again. i love this thread. I'm bored at home today and this is becoming more and more amuzing by the hour. thanks to all who have contibuted...including me!

Jun 25 06 06:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

This is MM, please do not introduce logic into a thread.

Ooopps, I forgot. haha. my bad!

But seriously, models don't get that clients, real clients,  hire from agencies... not websites. So if you want real jobs with real clients (with exceptions written below) you need to get some sort of an agent. Now you might get a job from a photographer on MM to do promotions or conventions, pose in lingerie, pose nude or do various adult work. But no big clients are casting off MM and they certainly arent "on the lookout" for models in the tavel notices section. Not so much MM, but OMP cracks me up because its like "GET DISCOVERED!"... yeah, right.

Jun 25 06 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Apparently not.

Alex C wrote:
Do people not think I'm worth enough to pay?

Jun 25 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

***Derailing this thread***

I'm with John on this one.... (sound like Keanau Reeves) WOAH!

John Jebbia wrote:

Wait just one cotton pickin' minute. Forget the OP's problem. I just read your profile and it seems your story is much more interesting... Inquiring minds wanna know? A shackled blonde babe? Holy cow! You didn't sleep with one of your students did you?

Jun 25 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Pretty much every point that could be made here, has been.....So she's a snotty, overly conceited girl with poor interpersonal or marketing skills, and has the maturity of a 9th grader.....all that is a shame because she is really good looking.....if she did nudes I would consider paying her for art stock images / collaberative media.....but not with that attitude. This is getting way more attention that it deserves IMO. Some things should be shitcanned, including this thread maybe?

Jun 25 06 11:57 pm Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thank you for bumping this to the top again.

Jun 26 06 12:00 am Link

Model

Zakiya Soleil

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
Pretty much every point that could be made here, has been.....So she's a snotty, overly conceited girl with poor interpersonal or marketing skills, and has the maturity of a 9th grader.....all that is a shame because she is really good looking.....if she did nudes I would consider paying her for art stock images / collaberative media.....but not with that attitude. This is getting way more attention that it deserves IMO. Some things should be shitcanned, including this thread maybe?

wow! hot damn thats harsh. but if you think this thread is getting more attn than it deserves then why are you posting on it. Now come on what sense doesn that make. You may think shes snotty but i just think your retarded. haha! have a good evening though. *sigh* 1:30 am and here we are. Do I have anything better to do with my time? not at this moment. If you think whatever you think of her then fine but no one cares. Stop feeding this thread with more negativity. All of us who have been posting from with begining are having fun changing the subject. Stop throwing us off.

Jun 26 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Alex C wrote:
Thank you for bumping this to the top again.

Ok.
That answers the question I asked her in response to her second needlessly insulting PM.
She's just a troll.

Jun 26 06 12:31 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Ok.
That answers the question I asked her in response to her second needlessly insulting PM.
She's just a troll.

This is too funny! What question? Please reread what you wrote. There are no questions there, just a hurt feeling floating around.

Jun 26 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Alex C wrote:
I am kind of irritated. I posted a travel notice for Detroit stating that I am looking for any paid projects not involving nudity. I get back 4 replies all saying something along the lines of "I'm up for TFP to build my portfolio." Do people not think I'm worth enough to pay? Do they think I will grace their portfolios for free?

Oh yeah, if I'm a big casting agent working for an agency looking to book paid shoots for ???$, this is sure the first place I would come to.  If you're looking for rich guys with cameras, this would be the place for paying shoots.  The rest of us humble artists trying to improve our books are looking for tfcd/tfp.  I could charge $400 or more a session to do headshots or portraits, yet I'm willing (and eager) to do tfp to expand my book.  if you're so good as to be offended by the prospect, go to an agency and . . . (well, might get censored, but you get the idea).  If you're too high and mighty, go elsewhere.

Jun 26 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

P.S. No, you're not.

Jun 26 06 12:38 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Alex C wrote:
Iona, the only thing you see here is what I have posted. If you ask all of the photographers that I have worked with they will say they had a fun time, and that I know how to work the camera. I'm sure you won't have time to do that though. Again, I was not posting to get advice on how to network myself, I was simply stating my feelings and concerns. And I am a very blunt person.

Quite right, the only thing here most of the people on this site have seen is only what you have posted.
I could tell you that I have been HIRED several times for long term projects by photographers and artists, but if no one here on MM can back that up it doesn't mean squat!!!!
I am well aware that each time I post a new scathing thread about people on MM not living up to the expectations and standards that they themselves falsely represent, I know I lose the chance to work with a few great photographers who don't appreciate my attitude and the way I call many peoples bluff. I also gain the chance to work with some others who are also sick of the BS that is strewn about this website.

So if your going to dish it out; you had better learn to eat it as well.

Jun 26 06 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Pretty_Dollface wrote:

wow! hot damn thats harsh. but if you think this thread is getting more attn than it deserves then why are you posting on it. Now come on what sense doesn that make. You may think shes snotty but i just think your retarded. haha! have a good evening though. *sigh* 1:30 am and here we are. Do I have anything better to do with my time? not at this moment. If you think whatever you think of her then fine but no one cares. Stop feeding this thread with more negativity. All of us who have been posting from with begining are having fun changing the subject. Stop throwing us off.

You and her ought to get married or something.....you're on a similar wavelength.

Jun 26 06 06:38 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
Quite right, the only thing here most of the people on this site have seen is only what you have posted.
I could tell you that I have been HIRED several times for long term projects by photographers and artists, but if no one here on MM can back that up it doesn't mean squat!!!!
I am well aware that each time I post a new scathing thread about people on MM not living up to the expectations and standards that they themselves falsely represent, I know I lose the chance to work with a few great photographers who don't appreciate my attitude and the way I call many peoples bluff. I also gain the chance to work with some others who are also sick of the BS that is strewn about this website.

So if your going to dish it out; you had better learn to eat it as well.

And this's why we love you Iona  wink

Jun 26 06 09:14 am Link

Model

na52

I do TFP/CD but  I've started to get irritaded by it as well.. paying for my own hair/make-up/styling/& sometimes location adds up! ...lol

Jun 26 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

Zakiya Soleil

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

You and her ought to get married or something.....you're on a similar wavelength.

Haha....Mmmm. no im not. if you had bothered to read from the begining I did tell her that I know what it feels to be gained up on but that she does have to realize that she does need to watch how she uses her words and that the photographers at the begining were right. And FYI I did scold the hell out of a model how insisted that photographers who tfp do it cuz their work is shitty.  And furthermore at the time I had a vew pretty nice vodka tonics and wasa in a happy mood and just want everyone to get over the negativity and be happy. :-)
1...2...3...and inhale...1...2...3...exhale. now dont you feel better :-D

Jun 26 06 04:46 pm Link

Model

Zakiya Soleil

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

Haha....Mmmm. no im not. if you had bothered to read from the begining I did tell her that I know what it feels to be gained up on but that she does have to realize that she does need to watch how she uses her words and that the some of the photographers at the begining were right. And FYI I did scold the hell out of a model how insisted that photographers who tfp do it cuz their work is shitty.  And furthermore at the time I had a vew pretty nice vodka tonics and wasa in a happy mood and just want everyone to get over the negativity and be happy. :-)
1...2...3...and inhale...1...2...3...exhale. now dont you feel better :-D

Jun 26 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Well there's 23 minutes of my life I'll never get back.  Thank the gods for conference calls - at least I was getting paid to read this dramafest.

And considering there's plenty of "but there's a language barrier" defenses flying around, she's certainly learned how to insult people and alienate photographers in simple enough English. 

On the first page of this thread, if I had a paying shoot and could use her, I'd pay her.  Now that I've trudged through 9 pages of it, very doubtful.

Jun 26 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
How many photographers have you paid?

I think you're gorgeous.  I think you'd flatter anyone's lens.  It would probably be a pure joy to photograph you.  I wouldn't be surprised if people described you as incredibly professional, too.  I'm sure people speak highly of you. 

And I still wouldn't pay for the "privilege" to shoot you.

You're barking up the wrong tree.  Clients pay.  If a client books me and wants me to scout for models, too, then I'll add that to the budget and pay the models without a doubt.  I believe in taking care of people on paid shoots. 

But for personal portfolio work?  I don't need anyone to "grace" my portfolio that badly...

EXACTLY  JAY!!!!!  YOU MODELS NEED TO GET REAL!!!!! IF YOU WERE WITH A LEGITIMATE AGENCY THIS WOULD NOT EVEN COME UP!!! If I shoot for the models port they pay!!   jh

Jun 26 06 05:39 pm Link