Forums > General Industry > Not looking for TFP

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

I am kind of irritated. I posted a travel notice for Detroit stating that I am looking for any paid projects not involving nudity. I get back 4 replies all saying something along the lines of "I'm up for TFP to build my portfolio." Do people not think I'm worth enough to pay? Do they think I will grace their portfolios for free?

Jun 24 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I was with you til that last line.. At which point...

Well, best of luck to you..

Jun 24 06 10:11 am Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*breathe*

Jun 24 06 10:12 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well... I am just irritated at this point. If I wanted TFP I would search for it myself. But when you put up a travel notice and say specifically what you are looking for and people respond with only TFP offers it's pretty discouraging. And so was your comment.

Jun 24 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Alex C wrote:
Do they think I will grace their portfolios for free?

Only if you say yes.  They will think you won't grace their portfolios for free if you say no.

Jun 24 06 10:15 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Only if you say yes.  They will think you won't grace their portfolios for free if you say no.

Lol..... right....

Jun 24 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

How many photographers have you paid?

I think you're gorgeous.  I think you'd flatter anyone's lens.  It would probably be a pure joy to photograph you.  I wouldn't be surprised if people described you as incredibly professional, too.  I'm sure people speak highly of you. 

And I still wouldn't pay for the "privilege" to shoot you.

You're barking up the wrong tree.  Clients pay.  If a client books me and wants me to scout for models, too, then I'll add that to the budget and pay the models without a doubt.  I believe in taking care of people on paid shoots. 

But for personal portfolio work?  I don't need anyone to "grace" my portfolio that badly...

Jun 24 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Neiko Roman

New York, New York, US

It's the same thing when you state on your profile that you are not offering any TFP yet you get hit by a lot of models asking for TFP. Welcome to the internet. Where most people don't read or just chose to ignore.

Jun 24 06 10:17 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
How many photographers have you paid?

I think you're gorgeous.  I think you'd flatter anyone's lens.  It would probably be a pure joy to photograph you.  I wouldn't be surprised if people described you as incredibly professional, too.  I'm sure people speak highly of you. 

And I still wouldn't pay you.

You're barking up the wrong tree.  Clients pay.  If a client books me and wants me to scout for models, too, then I'll add that to the budget and pay the models without a doubt. 

But for personal portfolio work?

Well, then they should only answer me back if I say I'm looking for paid work and they have some from a client. If they want to build their portfolio, I'm not doing that free of chage. As to how many photographers I have paid, the count stand at 1.

Jun 24 06 10:18 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

A model does not tell the local market she is ready to be paid.
The local market tells the model she is ready to be paid.
A model can post "paid asssignments only" all she wants but if the local photographers are not willing to pay to work with her too bad.
Conversely a model can still do TFP and gett paid offers left and right.

maybe the market your traveling to is not at the same level you think you are.

Jun 24 06 10:19 am Link

Model

Savvy1007

Alex C wrote:
I am kind of irritated. I posted a travel notice for Detroit stating that I am looking for any paid projects not involving nudity. I get back 4 replies all saying something along the lines of "I'm up for TFP to build my portfolio." Do people not think I'm worth enough to pay? Do they think I will grace their portfolios for free?

some photographers portfolios including on MM would be a gift to shoot with for TFP...
so you should weigh it on a case by case basis...

Jun 24 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Alex C wrote:
Well, then they should only answer me back if I say I'm looking for paid work and they have some from a client. If they want to build their portfolio, I'm not doing that free of chage. As to how many photographers I have paid, the count stand at 1.

Point taken.  You're absolutely right.

As another poster stated, this is the internet... not only do people not read, even when they do they tend to miss the point.

Jun 24 06 10:21 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Savvy1007 wrote:

some photographers portfolios including on MM would be a gift to shoot with for TFP...
so you should weigh it on a case by case basis...

Yes, definitely! This was on OMP though. But either way, I would do TFP with a photographer I find highly talented. But otherwise, the others that aren't on that level think they deserve the same.

Jun 24 06 10:22 am Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

Alex C wrote:
the others that aren't on that level think they deserve the same.

again...

You make a valid point about photographers (models do it too) not paying attention to your request for pmt...but you always add that jab in the end...that just kills me.

Jun 24 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Alex C wrote:

Maybe they figured since you're in their area anyway, they'd give it a shot. It's not like they're asking you to fly to them for free. It may be the only time you'll be near them and it can't hurt to ask.

Jun 24 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Alex C wrote:

Yes, definitely! This was on OMP though. But either way, I would do TFP with a photographer I find highly talented. But otherwise, the others that aren't on that level think they deserve the same.

Yes they do deserve the same. You probably were not the "superstar" you are now when you started. You had to do TFPs before you got to where you are. Are you better than them because you have nice photos?

Jun 24 06 10:27 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

It's hard to explain myself. I simply meant that if I was looking for TFP, then that would be fine to shoot with other people that need TFP. Otherwise, I wouldn't just shoot TFP with most people that come my way. I didn't mean to put any jabs in the end. But that's good that you're laughing I guess..

Jun 24 06 10:27 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Vito wrote:

Yes they do deserve the same. You probably were not the "superstar" you are now when you started. You had to do TFPs before you got to where you are. Are you better than them because you have nice photos?

No, I'm not saying I'm better. And I'm not saying I'ma superstar either. I'm far from it. But I've moved away from doing TFPs regularly.

Jun 24 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Alex C wrote:

No, I'm not saying I'm better. And I'm not saying I'ma superstar either. I'm far from it. But I've moved away from doing TFPs regularly.

But you said that you'll only do TFP with really good photographers and "the others that aren't on that level think they deserve the same." How do you think that the good ones got that way. What if the good photographers who initially shot you thought the same way?

Jun 24 06 10:32 am Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

Alex C wrote:
It's hard to explain myself. I simply meant that if I was looking for TFP, then that would be fine to shoot with other people that need TFP. Otherwise, I wouldn't just shoot TFP with most people that come my way. I didn't mean to put any jabs in the end. But that's good that you're laughing I guess..

Well...in all fairness I do understand what you are saying.  Now, I personally am happy that ANY photographer would want to work with me.  I'm almost 30..yikes!  Have that "mother" body and just found my first wrinkle. 

Maybe you should just be flattered when they ask you to shoot for TFP and politely decline.  It IS a compliment to you after all and everyone "deserves" a chance.  Even if it is just a chance to give you such a compliment.

Jun 24 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alex C wrote:

Alex,

Check your messages please.  smile

Rich

Jun 24 06 10:33 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Vito wrote:

But you said that you'll only do TFP with really good photographers and "the others that aren't on that level think they deserve the same." How do you think that the good ones got that way. What if the good photographers who initially shot you thought the same way?

Ok, I retract what I said because I explained what I meant afterwards. All I'm saying is that I'm not here to spend time TFPing with everyone just because they deserve the same.

Jun 24 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alex C wrote:
I am kind of irritated. . . . . Do they think I will grace their portfolios for free?

Just curious . . . do you think your posts in this thread will make photographers more, or less interested in working with you?

Jun 24 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Alex C wrote:

i think you are assumming anyone reads the actual notice...

they see a pretty girl  comming to thier area and they think thier work is great..so you'd be lucky to work with them..so they ask...
dont take offense, its just ignorance...

Jun 24 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Alex C wrote:
Ok, I retract what I said because I explained what I meant afterwards. All I'm saying is that I'm not here to spend time TFPing with everyone just because they deserve the same.

Here's the thing:  it never hurts to ask.

If there's a model whose look fits my needs and could benefit by my imagery (in my opinion), the only way I'll know is to ask.  These photographers see your work, they see you'll be in the area and think "Well, I can at least ask.  Who knows?  Perhaps she'll say yes."  They don't have anything to lose.

All you have to do is say "No thank you."  You don't even have to say anything at all, if you don't want to.  Don't let it irritate you...

Jun 24 06 10:40 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Just curious . . . do you think your posts in this thread will make photographers more, or less interested in working with you?

Why ask?

Jun 24 06 10:43 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

Here's the thing:  it never hurts to ask.

If there's a model whose look fits my needs and could benefit by my imagery (in my opinion), the only way I'll know is to ask.  These photographers see your work, they see you'll be in the area and think "Well, I can at least ask.  Who knows?  Perhaps she'll say yes."  They don't have anything to lose.

All you have to do is say "No thank you."  You don't even have to say anything at all, if you don't want to.  Don't let it irritate you...

Good point... And I understand completely. I always answer my requests, it is the only way, I believe, into professionalism.

Jun 24 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I don't..................// 

and yes................//

Jun 24 06 10:44 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

i think you are assumming anyone reads the actual notice...

they see a pretty girl  comming to thier area and they think thier work is great..so you'd be lucky to work with them..so they ask...
dont take offense, its just ignorance...

Doug, I think you and me might have the same personality traits. Other people attack me for posting this.

Jun 24 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alex C wrote:
Why ask?

Because I always am bemused by the way models choose to use a networking site that they would like to get work from.  Seems to me if I wanted to be hired by photographers, I would present myself in ways that make them like me and want to hire me.  I don't see this thread as effective in marketing you.  Quite the opposite.

But perhaps you see it differently.

Jun 24 06 10:45 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

KARLOS MATTHEWS wrote:
I don't..................// 

and yes................//

You don't not think that I am worth enough?

Jun 24 06 10:46 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Well...the tone of your first post makes you sound short tempered and bitchy, like you wouldn't be that fun to work with.  I could be completely off base, but that's how you came across to me.  Personally I don't think that post is going to help your case at all...you might have seeked out paid shoots in MI in the casting calls section instead.
Secondly, I've had much more beautiful women "grace" my portfolio on a TFCD basis.  Your value is going to be determined by whoever views your port.

Jun 24 06 10:47 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Because I always am bemused by the way models choose to use a networking site that they would like to get work from.  Seems to me if I wanted to be hired by photographers, I would present myself in ways that make them like me and want to hire me.  I don't see this thread as effective in marketing you.  Quite the opposite.

But perhaps you see it differently.

Well, I apologize. I am posting here to voice my concerns/feelings/questions. That is why I post. If photographers do not like it, they don't have to work with me. It's as easy as that.

Jun 24 06 10:48 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

JBPhoto wrote:
Well...the tone of your first post makes you sound short tempered and bitchy, like you wouldn't be that fun to work with.  I could be completely off base, but that's how you came across to me.  Personally I don't think that post is going to help your case at all...you might have seeked out paid shoots in MI in the casting calls section instead.
Secondly, I've had much more beautiful women "grace" my portfolio on a TFCD basis.  Your value is going to be determined by whoever views your port.

Hmmm... I'll take that as a compliment... I guess?

Jun 24 06 10:49 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Maybe the guys in Detroit don't think paying a non-nude 5'2" model would be worth it.

Jun 24 06 10:49 am Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

Alex C wrote:
Well, I apologize. I am posting here to voice my concerns/feelings/questions. That is why I post. If photographers do not like it, they don't have to work with me. It's as easy as that.

OI...you've got the shovel and the handle just keeps getting warmer.

Jun 24 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alex,

one more message...  smile

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
Maybe the guys in Detroit don't think paying a non-nude 5'2" model would be worth it.

Hehehe... always goes back to the same thing.

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

Alex C wrote:

Doug, I think you and me might have the same personality traits. Other people attack me for posting this.

Alex... no one is 'attacking you'. They just have a different opinion than yours. BIG difference.

Jun 24 06 10:51 am Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Sinsazia wrote:

OI...you've got the shovel and the handle just keeps getting warmer.

What do you mean?

Jun 24 06 10:51 am Link