Forums > General Industry > Are you F'n kidding me here?....

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
Your absolutly right clicky.....Your my BITCH!!!! smile

Michael, you should use your spelling and grammar checker ...
... something about throwing rocks and glass houses.

May 26 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

MM hiccup

May 26 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

2gopop

Laguna Beach, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
The way I see it, most undeserved tags come from people who are trying to ingratiate themselves with the recipient in some way, be it either business-related or sexual in nature.

Examples:

Photographer X can't get anyone to shoot with him because his work sucks.  Using the browse search feature, he finds an inexperienced, unattractive model in his area.  He leaves her a positive tag, gushing about her beauty.  She agrees to do some TFP with him.

Dude X can't get women to pay attention to him.  Using the browse search feature, he finds an inexperienced, unattractive model in his area.  He leaves her a positive tag, gushing about her beauty.  They start a steamy online correspondence.

Inexperienced Model X is not even sure what a "good" photo looks like yet.  Using the browse search feature, she finds a photographer in her area whose text doesn't say "exceptional models only".  Too shy to risk direct rejection by asking to shoot via email, she instead leaves him a positive tag, gushing about the quality of his work.  He asks her to shoot with him.

Etc etc etc...

Me?  I don't leave tags I don't mean.  If I don't like something, I walk away from it quietly.

May 26 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Michael, you should use your spelling and grammar checker ...
... something about throwing rocks and glass houses.

I didn't no thiiz was a spellign class but here u go...

Your [sic] absolutly [sic] right clicky [this one I just like] ....Your [sic] my BITCH [perfectly spelled] !!!

Happy now? smile

May 26 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Mike Photog

West Babylon, New York, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
I just looked at a port that had a model with an average body and the face ONLY a mother could love. I have seen some of my fellow photographers with ports that have pics that look as if they handed the camera to a 5 year old to get the shot........and when I read the tags on their MM page they have nothing but PRAISES!!?! What gives?

Now I know what you're thinking..... some of you are probably thinking that 'art' is a very subjective thing and beauty comes in many forms, but seriously folks.. a lot of these people ask for critiques and we blow smoke right up there butts!!

Now I am not a mean person by nature and when I come across someones work (or face) that I find seriously damaging to my psyche I just don't say anything. I certainly don't hop on the 'ol tag line and start singing a bunch of bullsh*t praises!

Do you think this sort of thing goes on a little much here? I am interested to get my fellow MM'rs views on this one....
bring on the hate mail!!!

Mike,

Mike here....I would hate to tell you of how many "models" I contacted here that only want MONEY and have NO pro photos.
WHAT YOU SEE is WHAT you are getting.
There is one girl here that has 2 photos since mayhem opened.
They are both duplicated, so she has 4.
I contacted her LAST YEAR...she hasn't updated a thing.
IMHO....if a girl WANTS to succeed, she wont' be a GIFOC.....
Girl In Front Of Camera.
Outside of that CHILL....THEY aren't worth our "talent".

Mike
PPA Studios

May 26 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Mad Mike Photog wrote:
Mike,

Mike here....I would hate to tell you of how many "models" I contacted here that only want MONEY and have NO pro photos.
WHAT YOU SEE is WHAT you are getting.
I contacted her LAST YEAR...she hasn't updated a thing.
IMHO....if a girl WANTS to succeed, she wont' be a GIFOC.....
Girl In Front Of Camera.
Outside of that CHILL....THEY aren't worth our "talent".

Mike
PPA Studios

Hey Mike...I couldn't agree with you more. However the whole point of the post was just to make a point about honesty, bullshit and reality. It was never intended to invoke such 'network policing' such as that from my good buddy Clicky. LOL

The other thing is, hey, to each their own...my personal feeling is that you shouldn't lie to someone though. I mean has honesty become such a taboo that we dare not embrace it? I can certainly take the criticism but you don't ever see me asking for it do you? Mainly because I am already my own worst critic! Like I want to hear the ramblings of a bunch of other A-holes!! LOL

The one thing I am glad about is the one person who posted and said they like posts like this. That AND the overwhelming support by way of my MM mailbox by people who don't want to put themselves out on the same limb I have but simply agree wholeheartidly.[sic]

Did I misspell anything Clicky...let me know ...pffft

May 26 06 01:06 pm Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
I just looked at a port that had a model with an average body and the face ONLY a mother could love. I have seen some of my fellow photographers with ports that have pics that look as if they handed the camera to a 5 year old to get the shot........and when I read the tags on their MM page they have nothing but PRAISES!!?! What gives?

Now I know what you're thinking..... some of you are probably thinking that 'art' is a very subjective thing and beauty comes in many forms, but seriously folks.. a lot of these people ask for critiques and we blow smoke right up there butts!!

Now I am not a mean person by nature and when I come across someones work (or face) that I find seriously damaging to my psyche I just don't say anything. I certainly don't hop on the 'ol tag line and start singing a bunch of bullsh*t praises!

Do you think this sort of thing goes on a little much here? I am interested to get my fellow MM'rs views on this one....
bring on the hate mail!!!

Some people find beauty in the mugliest things...(shakes head)....PM me the picture's  link...lol

May 26 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Michael Kirst wrote:
Did I misspell anything Clicky...let me know ...pffft

"Your" [sic] incorrectly using "[sic]" in an silly attempt to appear intelligent, witty and full of wonderful biting sarcasm.

Nice try, twinkle-toes.

May I help you with anything else?

May 26 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Click Hamilton wrote:

"Your" [sic] incorrectly using "[sic]" in an silly attempt to appear intelligent, witty and full of wonderful biting sarcasm.

Nice try, twinkle-toes.

May I help you with anything else?

Took you long enough...and that's it??

How exactly am I using "[sic]" in the 'wrong' way? And do you even know what it means?

Uh oh....I think someone that goes by the name *Click* just ran outta witty sarcastic banter and is trying hard to appear 'intelligent' himself.

And one more thing...you never answered me about who took the pics on your MM profile (with you aka 'homeless guy' in it)? Don't worry, that person already got a hold of me through this post. I guess my question is.... Where is the work that represents what you, the photographer does? Maybe you should have a model page instead. God knows you would fit right in with most of em....

May 26 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

I didn't no thiiz was a spellign class but here u go...

Your [sic] absolutly [sic] right clicky [this one I just like] ....Your [sic] my BITCH [perfectly spelled] !!!

Happy now? smile

He's probably referring to your use of "your" instead of the correct "you're" as in "you are my bitch" but whatever.

May 26 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

He's probably referring to your use of "your" instead of the correct "you're" as in "you are my bitch" but whatever.

Yes I know ....that's why I stuck the [sic] in there. Which he is now feverishly looking up to combat the last post I made in which I asked if he even knew what that meant.....LOL

How you doing by the way Adrienne? Good to hear from ya -MK

May 26 06 02:18 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

Yes I know ....that's why I stuck the [sic] in there. Which he is now feverishly looking up to combat the last post I made in which I asked if he even knew what that meant.....LOL

How you doing by the way Adrienne? Good to hear from ya -MK

I'm good. I'll be at the comp for another 35mins then I get to clock out! But entertaining thread.

May 26 06 02:20 pm Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

Oh, I see the forum creator looked through my port and got insanely jealous...

Its okay...im used to it :-)

Okay, now on a serious note...its never good in life period to always hear the good about yourself and nothing about the bad...but on another note you don't want to be the person who blows someones self confidence out of the water.

I had/have and get my fair share of constructive as well as destructive critisizm and really modeling or photography is not a job for people with thin skin. Wherever there are people there will be different opinions and when there are differing opinions some will be offended, others will be hurt and others will walk away with a bigger ego...but in life you have to not only listen and weigh the good you hear from people but the people who do the best in life are the ones that break down the critiques of others and try to use them to improve in some way.

May 26 06 02:23 pm Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

Yes, I have seen ports and thought things...but I always keep quiet if I don't know how to help the person progress further...plus, I think perhaps they have a market for what they are doing...or at least with that many tags/positive critiques one would think so. :-)

May 26 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

This post has taken an odd turn hasn't it?

Tags are an arbitrary action. People should not give critique arbitrarily thus, a critical tag is unacceptable.
Be nice in your tag or don't tag at all... IMOP

Now... If someone says in their bio:  "tag me and tell me what you think, good or bad,"  Then every self proclaimed critic, pro shooter, hack shooter, etc. has the right to have at them without any compunction.
Sound logical?
Now, back to my beer.....
MMMM... that's smoothe!

May 26 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

Took you long enough...and that's it??

How exactly am I using "[sic]" in the 'wrong' way? And do you even know what it means?

Uh oh....I think someone that goes by the name *Click* just ran outta witty sarcastic banter and is trying hard to appear 'intelligent' himself.

And one more thing...you never answered me about who took the pics on your MM profile (with you aka 'homeless guy' in it)? Don't worry, that person already got a hold of me through this post. I guess my question is.... Where is the work that represents what you, the photographer does? Maybe you should have a model page instead. God knows you would fit right in with most of em....

Um, no.. That guy didn't.. Click does Click's own work..  He appeared in my 4 piece set as a favor to me.

May 26 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

WG Rowland wrote:
Um, no.. That guy didn't.. Click does Click's own work..  He appeared in my 4 piece set as a favor to me.

Clicks own work is not on Clicks own page...that was my point.
BTW...I like your work...I can see 'Stephanie in Sepia' blown up to about 12x18 and mounted on a dark brown matte board. Beautiful!

May 26 06 02:30 pm Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

Commercial modeling perhaps??? You don't need the perfect body or face for that...even the elderly (although ive seen absolutely gorgeous elderly people) can do commercial modeling.

Stock photography???

However can you totally blame that on the model or photog or do you split it 50/50??? lol

However, everyone has the right to be happy...no matter how disalussioned (spelling?)

But if they ask you for a critique and you give them false hope, or don't at least show them how they can improve them you are kind of contributing to the problem.

*Hijack*...sorry

But doesn't this put anyone in mind of the show American Idol???

Its terrible that they get ratings for playing with peoples emotions, embarrassing the heck out of people, and totally putting it up for everyone to see...however, its a free country and those people know what happens if you can't sing don't they? So I guess we should all make room for peoples little imperfections huh? Try to hold the toungue if not asked for a critique...and if asked try to give one tactfully. Everyone on here takes the risk of hearing what they don't want to hear because they have put it out there...just like the people on that singing show. However, id hate to find out the site publicized my port because I had so many negative critiques that they wanted everyone to have something to laugh at. lol

Or have they done that already???
*gives site a harsh look* :-/

May 26 06 02:33 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I go with...

"If you don't have anything nice to say...don't say anything at all." approach.

-D-

May 26 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

BTW...I like your work...I can see 'Stephanie in Sepia' blown up to about 12x18 and mounted on a dark brown matte board. Beautiful!

Actually it is..

There's this thing called a remote shutter..  Let's you be photographer, set designer, and model all at the same time..

May 26 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

this forum post certainly needs my 10 cents worth

BRB

im doing sumthin

May 26 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

WG Rowland wrote:

Actually it is..

There's this thing called a remote shutter..  Let's you be photographer, set designer, and model all at the same time..

Ohhhhh... So wait a sec..the ones on your page, you took...and the ones on his page..he took? Ok I got it now.

BTW...damnit are you his spokesperson or is he boycotting me now..lol

May 26 06 02:50 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

Ugg you just don't get it do you?
That IS his work in his page.
Some of us are smart enough to burn our candles at both ends and still not get singed.

May 26 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Iona Lynn wrote:

Ugg you just don't get it do you?
That IS his work in his page.
Some of us are smart enough to burn our candles at both ends and still not get singed.

Is he worth the frustration?

May 26 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Mikel Featherston wrote:

I didn't think I was worth anything past page 1 ...
BUT DAMN!!!  *laughing*

May 26 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Michael Kirst wrote:

I didn't think I was worth anything past page 1 ...

I'd say that is a fair assessment.

May 26 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Mikel Featherston wrote:
I'd say that is a fair assessment.

Coming from you...that's a hell of a compliment!
Let's get to page 5!!

And fair is what the original post was all about...thanks for coming back on topic

May 26 06 02:59 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Good point, I'm going to go back to the pubic hair thread it is more fun.

May 26 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Iona Lynn wrote:

You should go back to munchkin land...I'm sure they miss you

May 26 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

Ohhhhh... So wait a sec..the ones on your page, you took...and the ones on his page..he took? Ok I got it now.

BTW...damnit are you his spokesperson or is he boycotting me now..lol

Knowing Click he's probably got about 3 models lined up and is working (that's about a slow day for him..)

I'll happily be his spokesperson, but he doesn't really need one..  He's very well spoken.. 

I'd also happily be his light stand, tripod, bar stool.. For while I like my work and I like his.. He's got a skill set I'd really like to learn..  He's nice to his models.  He treats them like people..  And they all stick by him..  He sees beauty in people and treats them equally..  (Which is what got you two off to such a lovely beginning)..  When he wants to shoot..  He's always got someone to shoot with..

I'd say he does alright..

May 26 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

WG Rowland wrote:

Knowing Click he's probably got about 3 models lined up and is working (that's about a slow day for him..)

I'll happily be his spokesperson, but he doesn't really need one..  He's very well spoken.. 

I'd also happily be his light stand, tripod, bar stool.. For while I like my work and I like his.. He's got a skill set I'd really like to learn..  He's nice to his models.  He treats them like people..  And they all stick by him..  He sees beauty in people and treats them equally..  (Which is what got you two off to such a lovely beginning)..  When he wants to shoot..  He's always got someone to shoot with..

I'd say he does alright..

I'd say we are not so different after all then....Clicky and I

May 26 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Deaftone

Alex C wrote:
I've also noticed this going on, but don't spend your time stressin' over that. Just do what you've been doing, and praise the people that really need to be praised!

Quite honestly the first month or so I felt similar to most people, wanting to bitch and complain, and then a friend gave me some good advice.  Alex C put it very well, worry about what you can control.  We all have strong likes and dislikes on this matter, too many T&A shots where someone claims to be industry and all they do is show an attractive large breasted woman and the image is centered, or they shoot with shit cameras, whatever it is, we all had to start somewhere.  Just take care of your own material and let everyone else bury themselves in their own bullshit.  MM is a cool spot, they have lots of really talented folks, no fees, and plenty of feedback.

May 26 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Iona Lynn wrote:

Iona, I adore you. I love the way you tease.

May 26 06 03:07 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I would like to know what the MM # for this account is.  Quality Control and all that Jazz.

As far as the fighting in this thread goes... would you guys mind terribly taking it to email/PM? :p

May 26 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

SOME OF US ARE BORN WITH THE TALENT !!! OTHERS HAVE TO LEARN AND WISH TO BE BIG SOME DAY !!!!!!!!

IN WHICH GROUP DO YOU BELONG ?

DON'T CRITIZIZE ONLY CONSTRUCTIVE CRITIZIZM IS ALLOWED ......

MANNY D.

May 26 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Josie Nutter wrote:

I would like to know what the MM # for this account is.  Quality Control and all that Jazz.

As far as the fighting in this thread goes... would you guys mind terribly taking it to email/PM? :p

Fighting? Who's fighting? I thought this was the good Christian fellowship thread. But noted and yes to answer your question. LET'S GET BACK ON TOPIC FOLKS...heh. I suppose for the quality control issue about the MM# you should probably contact the person that wrote that thread huh?

May 26 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Haleh Bryan

Michael Kirst wrote:

bring on the hate mail!!! [/quot

Could it be that you are actually taking this site a little too seriously? Just take a look at the main page of this site which I am starting to develop an allergic reaction to! This site is a sister site to Myspace.com with a potential for many to make money off of in the name of modeling!

May 26 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Michael Kirst wrote:

Are you f*n kidding me?

May 26 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nerlande wrote:

You must be new.

Oh my god that's funny...

May 26 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

There is a new member, The Photo Critic, whom you may find refreshing.

May 26 06 10:22 pm Link