Forums > General Industry > Are you F'n kidding me here?....

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
The way I see it, most undeserved tags come from people who are trying to ingratiate themselves with the recipient in some way, be it either business-related or sexual in nature.

Examples:

Photographer X can't get anyone to shoot with him because his work sucks.  Using the browse search feature, he finds an inexperienced, unattractive model in his area.  He leaves her a positive tag, gushing about her beauty.  She agrees to do some TFP with him.

Dude X can't get women to pay attention to him.  Using the browse search feature, he finds an inexperienced, unattractive model in his area.  He leaves her a positive tag, gushing about her beauty.  They start a steamy online correspondence.

Inexperienced Model X is not even sure what a "good" photo looks like yet.  Using the browse search feature, she finds a photographer in her area whose text doesn't say "exceptional models only".  Too shy to risk direct rejection by asking to shoot via email, she instead leaves him a positive tag, gushing about the quality of his work.  He asks her to shoot with him.

Etc etc etc...

Me?  I don't leave tags I don't mean.  If I don't like something, I walk away from it quietly.

As usual, you are dead on with this observation!  I do check out those that leave me tags (and yes, I know I am still learning!) and often find I can't say anything other than "thanks for the tag"

As for the cell phone pics, I just saw a whole port of them and the tags said things like great work/ nice port, etc...  The catch is the individual was very attractive and intriguing so I sent a message saying let's get some real pics in your port...  Couldn't leave a tag that said that...

my 3 cents

May 25 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Real criticism is easy to handle. If someone says, "If you backlit the model, it would show more seperatation from the background". I can use that to learn.
If the comment just reads, "Your pictures suck." I learn nothing from it except that someone doesn't like my pictures.

May 25 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
Are you F'n kidding me here?....

actually, i am dead serious.....

May 25 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

actually, i am dead serious.....

Hey Doug

Glad to see your still Alive..

(:-----

Hj

May 25 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Lens N Light wrote:
Real criticism is easy to handle. If someone says, "If you backlit the model, it would show more seperatation from the background". I can use that to learn.
If the comment just reads, "Your pictures suck." I learn nothing from it except that someone doesn't like my pictures.

Good point.  Criticism and compliments are two very different animals.  One you can build on, the other just makes you feel good.  Both are great when administered with care and class.

May 25 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:
Hey Doug Glad to see your still Alive..
(:----- Hj

geeze..was that in question?

May 25 06 01:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nina G Artistry

Houston, Alaska, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:

No.  Unless I'm in the critique forum, I only leave positive feedback.  I think it's tacky to leave unsolicited critiques on someone's tags or image comments.

I think that you a very polite person! I agree that it is completely tacky to leav unsolicited critiques in the tag and picture comment sections. I had a photographere do this to me recently...I politely wrote him to tell him that while I appreciate the critique and would welcome more, I would appreciate if he could send me a private message as a public critique may deter an interested client. Its all about business here, and critique in private...

May 25 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Lens N Light wrote:

You just summed up my feelings perfectly. I said it yesterday I'll say it again today, if someone says "you suck" don't listen. When they tell you why "you suck" then listen, that's how you get better. Unfortunately, too many people leave out the explanation of "why" so the receiver of the "you suck" is only left with the belief that they can't do anything right.

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

It is tough though when you get a tag from someone whose portfolio you really can't say much about lol. Other than "thanks for the tag" or "uhhhh right back at ya" there isnt anything to be said!!

Photographer

Sam-H

Paris, Arkansas, US

Put that you don't do TFCD/TFP and watch how quickly all comments and tags stop on your page.

May 25 06 01:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nina G Artistry

Houston, Alaska, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
It is tough though when you get a tag from someone whose portfolio you really can't say much about lol. Other than "thanks for the tag" or "uhhhh right back at ya" there isnt anything to be said!!

Guess thats why I never get tagged back when I tag someone!!! LOL  Nah, actually I normally don't comment or tag someone to get them to even look at my profile. When I want critiques, I ask for them...I am still learning, so I usually don't want any critiques!!

May 25 06 01:52 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

DolceV wrote:
Put that you don't do TFCD/TFP and watch how quickly all comments and tags stop on your page.

Not true, there is a model here who shall remain nameless whose portfolio is absolute shit.
She only accepts paid work because she doesn't want to work. Her words not mine.  Photographers leave the girl tags gushing about how amazing she is. I don't know if it's pity or because they do it in hopes of getting laid.

May 25 06 04:19 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

You need to learn the fine art of changing the subject. When you tag them back ask them if they have any grilled chicken recipes they care to share. They will be too busy wondering WTF your tag was about, they will forget you didn't compliment their work.

May 25 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Michael J

Rustburg, Virginia, US

Envy wrote:

Not true, there a model here who shall remain nameless whose portfolio is absolute shit.
She only accepts paid work because she doesn't want to work. Her words not mine.  Photographers leave the girl tags gushing about how amazing she is. I don't know if it's pity or because they do it in hopes of getting laid.

I am still learning model work as well, and I appreciate actual comments, be they good or bad. 
I didn't realize I could get "laid" doing this . . .  Wow!  The things you learn in the forums here.

May 25 06 04:26 pm Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

i shall edit to adjourn to the sites policy

May 25 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
I just looked at a port that had a model with an average body and the face ONLY a mother could love. I have seen some of my fellow photographers with ports that have pics that look as if they handed the camera to a 5 year old to get the shot........and when I read the tags on their MM page they have nothing but PRAISES!!?! What gives?

Now I know what you're thinking..... some of you are probably thinking that 'art' is a very subjective thing and beauty comes in many forms, but seriously folks.. a lot of these people ask for critiques and we blow smoke right up there butts!!

Now I am not a mean person by nature and when I come across someones work (or face) that I find seriously damaging to my psyche I just don't say anything. I certainly don't hop on the 'ol tag line and start singing a bunch of bullsh*t praises!

Do you think this sort of thing goes on a little much here? I am interested to get my fellow MM'rs views on this one....
bring on the hate mail!!!

Michael, your photos are nothing special either, so what's your point?
There is room for everyone, including you.

Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

de gustibus non disputatum est

May 25 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
I just looked at a port that had a model with an average body and the face ONLY a mother could love.

Today, anybody can be a model. What you're seeing is just a portfolio that hasn't been properly Photoshopped.  Chins and nosed can be reshaped, extra pounds shaved off, moonscape complexions magically smoothed, eyes enlarged, moles, scars, and birthmarks deleted, lips made fuller, tattoos removed, and stretch marks erased.   Hail, Photoshop!

So when you see a really great port, you should remember to ask for unedited snap shots or you may be shocked by the lack of resemblance between the babe in the port and what shows up at your door when you hire her.

Michael Kirst wrote:
I have seen some of my fellow photographers with ports that have pics that look as if they handed the camera to a 5 year old to get the shot........and when I read the tags on their MM page they have nothing but PRAISES!!?! What gives?

Hey, goddammit, I'm doin' the best I can!  I'll be six next week.

May 25 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
I just looked at a port that had a model with an average body and the face ONLY a mother could love. I have seen some of my fellow photographers with ports that have pics that look as if they handed the camera to a 5 year old to get the shot........and when I read the tags on their MM page they have nothing but PRAISES!!?! What gives?

Now I know what you're thinking..... some of you are probably thinking that 'art' is a very subjective thing and beauty comes in many forms, but seriously folks.. a lot of these people ask for critiques and we blow smoke right up there butts!!

Now I am not a mean person by nature and when I come across someones work (or face) that I find seriously damaging to my psyche I just don't say anything. I certainly don't hop on the 'ol tag line and start singing a bunch of bullsh*t praises!

Do you think this sort of thing goes on a little much here? I am interested to get my fellow MM'rs views on this one....

I get where you're coming from but, at the same time, I really enjoy the ambiance that MM has created here. It's refreshing to have a place to go where things are taken lightly.

May 25 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've also noticed this going on, but don't spend your time stressin' over that. Just do what you've been doing, and praise the people that really need to be praised!

May 25 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
bring on the hate mail
!!!

Since you asked so nicely...

No, I don't think this goes on too much here.  Only Sunday thru Friday and for 25 hours on Saturday.  Not like it's 8 days a week or anything.  That would be too much.

Yes, this is the land of ass-kissing and smoke blowing.  Just make a little noise in the shout box for some royalty free compliments, courtesy of your new best friends.  If you haven't had your ego stroked over your shitty little pictures today, just wait there's at least one person with worse taste than you just waiting to make you feel fantastic.  Tired of MySpace?  Just go to that MySpace-looking place and you can call yourself a model!  All of your fake friends will be pseudo impressed!

Really, nothing to get upset about.  These are people who would never compete with you for a gig or anything.  I ignore it and move on...

May 25 06 05:34 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Welcome to the Internet

Good morning OP

You have just stepped out of your safe little world of agency modeling, and into the big bad world on internet photography. There are no rules here, a girl who is 5’ 1â€? in 4â€? stiletto heals can get paid work from photographers, so can a girl who is bigger than a size 4. The typical agency rules don’t apply to us anymore. Sorry about that, in just a few days your in box will be filled with silly little girls with crappy web cam photos saying they love your work, yet you need to pay 150.00 an hour to shoot them. Not to make it too complicated there are several different camps of people all colliding on this site:

Agency models and photographers = work for clients and have a set of standards
Artist models and photographers = work for art and the chance to be in the galleries.
Amateur models and photographers = work to learn some of these guys and girls will move up and do some great work in the above categories.
GWP and GWC = it’s all about the b(o)(o)bies.

Welcome to our world…………………………………………..wink

If you spent less time critiquing others and complaining, you would have more time to improve your own craft.

May 25 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Aiyoonee

Gilberts, Illinois, US

I agree with a previous poster. The ass-kissing is just a solicitation for TFP.

May 25 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

The Photo Critic

Nashville, Tennessee, US

If you are going to critique, you better take the time to offer some resources that might educate also.  I keep a pretty extensive list of photographers, books and workshops that I can reference, share and direct those who ask for constructive help.  It makes no sense to dump on someone without helping to pick them up at the same time.

May 25 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

i think we have to remember that this site consists of new and seasoned models and photographers... when i see a model (with some potential) that has pictures taken and developed on the $5 dollar wal-mart camera, i suggest that they contact some of the photographers on here and get some tests done. when i find a similar model that i think will never work in their life, i simply say nothing. I just feel that i am no one to squash anyone's dreams... i guess i'm more of a paula, than a simon...LOL LOL LOL

May 25 06 05:40 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am mean by nature.
But my momma taught me if I don't have anything nice to say I don't say anything at all.

May 25 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
I am mean by nature.
But my momma taught me if I don't have anything nice to say I don't say anything at all.

I'm mean by nature, too.  But my Mom never taught me shit.  The bitch.

May 25 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

Lens N Light wrote:

Ding ding ding.  You hit the nail on the head right there.  Some of us KNOW we have a lot to learn, being rude in telling us doesn't help us learn and there's really no reason for it.  If you hate my work, just bypass it.  It doesn't hurt anyone, especially not you.  If you feel the burning desire to tell me my work sucks, then tell me WHY it sucks.  Any idiot can say "that sucks" and move on.

I can understand why the OP would be baffled by what he saw.  I don't understand it either.  I just don't indulge in it.  If I don't like someone's portfolio, I don't try to find something nice to say, I just move on.

May 25 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
I am mean by nature.

This is true- and its why she only said 3 words to me during our shoot.  :-)

May 25 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

KatieK wrote:

I agree.  Real, brutal critiques are best left in either the critique forum (they asked for it!) or personal mail.  It's just rude to leave them on a comment or as a tag.  If someone who is far less than stellar leaves a comment or something for me, I just say "thanks" in return and move on.

I don't think anybody can get better without honest reviews.

Personally, I welcome real honest, constructive critiques.

May 25 06 06:09 pm Link

Model

Rose Noir

Chicago, Illinois, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
Do you think this sort of thing goes on a little much here? I am interested to get

Its about 50/50, I think. There isnt much anyone can do about it, though. *Shrugs* When they honestly ask your opinion give it to them straight up, doesnt matter how brutal they think you are. They asked for your honest opinion and you gave it.

May 25 06 06:22 pm Link

Model

Rose Noir

Chicago, Illinois, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
Do you think this sort of thing goes on a little much here?

Its about 50/50, I think. There isnt much anyone can do about it, though. *Shrugs* When they honestly ask your opinion give it to them straight up, doesnt matter how brutal they think you are. They asked for your honest opinion and you gave it.

May 25 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Yes, this is the land of ass-kissing and smoke blowing.

Bullshit!  If that were true, I'd be getting a lot more of it.  Especially considering my sweet upbeat non-confrontational demeanor.

May 25 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Dave Krueger wrote:
Bullshit!  If that were true, I'd be getting a lot more of it.  Especially considering my sweet upbeat non-confrontational demeanor.

Tough break, pal.  There has to be some fucker at the bottom of the totem pole, though.  Just a law of nature.  Be patient; eventually you'll find someone with images shittier than yours willing to blow smoke up your keister...

May 25 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Nerlande wrote:
You must be new.

LMAO! Girl, you are just too cute  .... and to the point!

May 25 06 07:08 pm Link

Model

Ashley Deal

Jacksonville, Florida, US

I definitely agree that there are a lot of people on here with hopes and dreams in modeling that will never come true. I'm far from the prettiest girl in the world and I am by no means stating that I think that I have a chance at "making it", but some people here I've noticed aren't even average looking and their bodies are average or below. What astonishes me is the "beautiful, keep it up" and "great shots!" that I see for these people.

I posted up in the Critique section and would expect to be critiqued with full honesty - not sugar coated opinions that won't help. For instance, if you think I need to lose weight, tell me. If you think that I'm going in the wrong direction or shouldn't be modeling at all, tell me. No use in me wasting time if everyone thinks I'm horrible, right?

Let's just BE HONEST!!! :-)

May 25 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Ashley Spicer wrote:
I definitely agree that there are a lot of people on here with hopes and dreams in modeling that will never come true. I'm far from the prettiest girl in the world and I am by no means stating that I think that I have a chance at "making it", but some people here I've noticed aren't even average looking and their bodies are average or below. What astonishes me is the "beautiful, keep it up" and "great shots!" that I see for these people.

I posted up in the Critique section and would expect to be critiqued with full honesty - not sugar coated opinions that won't help. For instance, if you think I need to lose weight, tell me. If you think that I'm going in the wrong direction or shouldn't be modeling at all, tell me. No use in me wasting time if everyone thinks I'm horrible, right?

Let's just BE HONEST!!! :-)

"Honest" yes, "mean spirited" there's no reason for it.

May 25 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Wolf 189

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Michael Kirst wrote:

I agree with you!...%100 .

Please allow me to try a bit of honesty here.

The models in your MM port are way above the quality of your work. Long legs with beautiful faces, while the shots are below average shots, flat lightings and boring/typical poses. No creativity in camera angles nor in compositions. Your best shots are of the little boy...

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060522/15/447219e365c82_m.jpg

and

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060518/13/446cc1ceec7b9_m.jpg

I think you should stop doing (trying to do, actually) fashion photography and give life style photography a shot. ...unless of course your cousin or a friend of yours is the art director of couple of publications. (take with many grains of salt! )  smile

Best of luck.

Cheers

Wolf

May 25 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Wolf189 wrote:
I agree with you!...%100 .

Please allow me to try a bit of honesty here.

The models in your MM port are way above the quality of your work. Long legs with beautiful faces, while the shots are below average shots, flat lightings and boring/typical poses. No creativity in camera angles nor in compositions. Your best shots are of the little boy...

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060522/15/447219e365c82_m.jpg

and

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060518/13/446cc1ceec7b9_m.jpg

I think you should stop doing (trying to do, actually) fashion photography and give life style photography a shot. ...unless of course your cousin or a friend of yours is the art director of couple of publications. (take with many grains of salt! )  smile

Best of luck.

Cheers

Wolf

LOL!!! Hey what the client wants the client gets....

You said: "The models in your MM port are way above the quality of your work...blah blah blah....average shots, flat lightings and boring/typical poses...blah blah blah" pretty much.

Well when you're shooting for a lookbook and the client wants it a certain way then I guess...yes you are stuck with all that shit you just said. But the client being very happy along with the 'long legged' models and getting paid $2,650.00 at the end of an 8 hour day.....well I guess I just don't mind that kind of critique!

You said: "Unless of course your cousin or a friend of yours is the art director...."

Hey I wish I had a cousin who owned 2 national clothing companies....that would be sweet except that I probably wouldn't get paid the same amount.

But hey thanks for the kind word on the little boy!!
MK

May 25 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Click Hamilton wrote:
Michael, your photos are nothing special either, so what's your point?
There is room for everyone, including you.

Click Hamilton
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

de gustibus non disputatum est

To the guy who takes pictures of the homeless guy.......and nothing else apparently...I don't remember stating in my original post that MY pics WERE something special ..or did I just miss that? Also I think due to the overwhelming response from intelligent ppl on here that I made my point just fine....
MK

May 25 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

aref

New York, New York, US

I like the camera phone pictures... there is a very modern feel to them, very cutting edge, and a strong reflection of our society today.. I love to look at them.

I also love to see the wide variety of faces on here. I find it an isparation for m y own work.

If I just want to see run of the mill models, I can go onto any model agency site and see the bookers choices. Same 'ol same'ol... mostely commercially driven, slow to evolve. I live and work in NYC and I have worked with models from IMG down.

The huge growing rate of 'wanna be' models spawned by the internet and sites like these is an evolutionary jump in the way we see models, how people see themselves, and sooner or later how the industry will see modeling in general.

I would hate to see people being scared off just because they do not fit commercial photoraphers norms of what a model should look like.

aref

May 25 06 07:43 pm Link