Forums > General Industry > 100 signs you're a GWC

Photographer

HerbP

Winter Springs, Florida, US

OK, another one.  The GWC finds a picture in a men's magazine that he really likes and spends much of the session with the model in a futile effort trying to duplicate the pose and lighting exactly without ever trying to do an original variation of the basic theme.

Apr 07 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

N8R Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Star wrote:

I HATE BELLOWS COMPENSATION! I always forget about reciprocity too if I am in the middle of a shoot.

Hehe, yeah reciprocity's a bitch...Especially if you forgot your chart

Apr 07 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

#38  You can name more famous Playmates than famous Photographers

#37  You refuse to let the model see all the images b/c you have to fix em all in photoshop first so she dont know how bad you really are and so you have time to save the oops shots to another secret, hidden folder.

#36  You do your photoshoots sitting down (why cant you stand up there, Woody?)

#35  You shoot 200+ images per look

#34  You have your calendar marked for when all your favorite MM Models turn 18

#33  Your portfolio features more models with hands covering their boobs than clothing their boobs

Apr 07 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Jose- JoseOnline wrote:
#38  You can name more famous Playmates than famous Photographers

#37  You refuse to let the model see all the images b/c you have to fix em all in photoshop first so she dont know how bad you really are and so you have time to save the oops shots to another secret, hidden folder.

#36  You do your photoshoots sitting down (why cant you stand up there, Woody?)

#35  You shoot 200+ images per look

#34  You have your calendar marked for when all your favorite MM Models turn 18

Ok now that's just CREEEEEEPY!! *Feels the urgent need to de-louse*

Apr 07 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

#32  You have the urgent need to contribute as much as possible to GWC bashing forums so the girls know that you really arent a GWC

#31  All of your shots are set in the same exact background (usually a corner of your home or a hotel room) with the same lighting and angle- only varying the girl, the color of her thong, and whether she has her hands covering her boobs, her hair covering her boobs, or she is turned away for a booty shot

Apr 07 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

You read this entire thread hoping beyond all hope that no one mentioned your name.

you "don't care about making money, you just like taking pictures"

you don't edit your photos because "you like a natural look"

your photos look like mine.

Apr 07 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

RudeFood wrote:
Aren't there any "old guys" around who remember the way it was, before instant gratification, and having to wait for your batteries to recycle before you could take another picture?   It used to be only your flash you had problems with, now with e- batteries they're ready all the time, but it's waiting for your CAMERA to *ALLOW* you to take another photo.

I do remember very well... but I am not too old of a guy... wink

Apr 07 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Scott Einuis wrote:
#55  Brings a condom to a shoot....just in case

BRILLIANT!

And the only point that really fits the original definition of a GWC... big_smile

But the other suggestions are funny too!

Apr 07 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Far West Imaging wrote:
So far, being a GWC sounds like a whole lot more fun and is a lot easier than "real" photography.

You dont know half of it dude!!!! Every night I am partying with the rich and famous and trying to sneak photos of them when they arent looking. The other day I got some really good shots of George Clooney doing blow with Rosie O'Donnel - they were both naked and were obviously more than just friends if you know what I mean - but his bodyguard took my camera and threw it in the swimming pool while they were dragging me outta there. It was a totally excellent composition too - a real symphony of line and light and all that fine art stuff.

The only problem with being me is all the wannabes who always want to learn my secret techniques without attending one of my exclusive workshops. Those guys really annoy me. They stand outside my door and are like "I'll let you do TFP with my sister if you'll let me watch" but I keep the straight and narrow because I am a total pro you know?

GWC!

Apr 07 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Incident Image

Los Angeles, California, US

Jose - damn man, you are WAY too good at this!  Everytime I think of one, I see you've already posted it!  LOL

Apr 07 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Jose- JoseOnline wrote:
#33  Your portfolio features more models with hands covering their boobs than clothing their boobs

My hands or hers?
https://img1.modelmayhem.com/051230/08/43b59c1d9b8b8_m.jpg
This is like a shot I did of me and Janet during our last TFP session. That was right before the WARDROBE FAILURE at the superbowl. I had nothing to do with that I swear. I think that little p*ssy Justin Timberlake was jealous of me and did that on purpose.

GWC!

Apr 07 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

P.S.2.

Vancouver, Washington, US

whats a GWC? :S

Apr 07 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Post hidden on Oct 19, 2015 02:26 pm
Reason: other

Apr 07 06 03:22 pm Link

Model

P.S.2.

Vancouver, Washington, US

lol cute port

whats does it stand for

Apr 07 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

You read all of these posts and you are still Grinning..

(:---------

Hj

Apr 07 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

GWC

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Post hidden on Oct 19, 2015 02:27 pm
Reason: other

Apr 07 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

~Krista~ wrote:

It's in the FAQ's ma'm

Apr 07 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

Photos2amaze wrote:
78.  You stare at the model like a tiger on a deer

77.  Your camera has optical AND digital zooms

76.  You have 17 models under your management and you personally go on all their shoots, to make sure that no other manager steals the property.

75.  "just stand right there by that tree" 

74.  " I used to shoot fashion and super bowls back in the 1980's with my 6x6"

>>>74.  " I used to shoot fashion and super bowls back in the 1980's with my 6x6"

Apr 07 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

adrienne of Zswana wrote:
Doesn’t have model release, claims it’s “unnecessaryâ€?

But it isn't.

Apr 07 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

Ironic that some of the sites greatest GWC'S are so prominent in this thread !

Apr 07 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You have this (18+) as your avatar:

http://dawsonsphotography.com/links/gwc_avatar.gif

Apr 07 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

gsvb wrote:
Ironic that some of the sites greatest GWC'S are so prominent in this thread !

Sorry for being late.

Apr 07 06 05:24 pm Link

Artist/Painter

any artist

Chicago, Illinois, US

#30 - your modelmayhem.com browse/search criteria is the exact same as your match.com criteria. like whoa.

Apr 07 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

RudeFood wrote:

Ok,

While I can understand some of this, the driving part would piss you off, maybe.  But, I learned early on, for shooting, (this was 10 years ago, 15 maybe) that 1-hour labs often had *better* developing and fresher chemicals than "pro" labs, especially for print film.   *AND*, since negatives scanned just as nicely into PCD's, which was the "state of the art" back then, *and* models wanted pics to bring home, a 1-hour lab with double prints was a *great* deal.  And if you had a relationship with the lab even better.

Shooting slides was great for publications, but if your goal was the web, slides were actually a pain.  Slide scanners were slow and expensive.  Print scanners were very good, and the GIF format was only 256 colors anyway. JPG was just starting out, and most people weren't running 32m color monitors.

I've been shooting for web-release for a long, long time, but only switched to digital cameras in the last few months, and I'm having real issues with them.  They are *not* as good as film cameras in 99% of what I want them to do, other than they are *cheap* by comparison, and IMHO so are the results.

So, before knocking some of this, think about the history, and how 1-hour labs, if any survive outside of walmart, used to be part and parcel of the photographer's bag of tools.  Especially if you were testing something out, you could shoot a roll, get it developed while you were grabbing a snack, and see if the whole idea worked before you invested hundreds of dollars in film and processing in the idea.

Not everything is about digital. 

Aren't there any "old guys" around who remember the way it was, before instant gratification, and having to wait for your batteries to recycle before you could take another picture?   It used to be only your flash you had problems with, now with e- batteries they're ready all the time, but it's waiting for your CAMERA to *ALLOW* you to take another photo.

I don't think she's bashing one hour labs as much as the fact that he had one model drive him to drop off film for another.

Also what you are saying about fresh chemicals is less true now that many pros have started shooting c41 as their primary emulsions.

Apr 07 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

Daniela V wrote:
43. You go to workshops with an instamatic.

I was actually thinking about doing this wink

Apr 07 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Higgins

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
You pose your models with a Roman pillar and an old bed sheet hung up with tape.
Your props choices are swords, a fake rose, a hard hat and tool belt, a ladder, caution tape, and a rubber snake.
You bring over the halogen torch lamp for a fill light to your home depot key light.

go for it! :-P

So now what am I gonna do with the other 500 ft of caution tape!

Apr 07 06 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

#29 - Your studio is in your garage.

#28 - You're drivers license has my name on it.

#27 - https://images.amazon.com/images/P/1552979563.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Apr 07 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

#101 - You're so insecure about your skillset becoming outdated and irrelevant that you keep making threads to insult people who don't particularly care what acronym you use on them.

Apr 07 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Expressions in OKC

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

#26 -- Your commentary on the MODEL'S ports are peppered with unconscionable remarks like 'magnificent rack' or 'beautiful box' or 'nice ass' -- it never occurs to you to speak about the image itself (i.e. model & photographer together)

#25 -- You have no PHOTOGRAPHERS on your friends list

Apr 07 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

The Suburban Hippie Pho

Hampstead, Maryland, US

mrclay2000 wrote:
#26 -- Your commentary on the MODEL'S ports are peppered with unconscionable remarks like 'magnificent rack' or 'beautiful box' or 'nice ass' -- it never occurs to you to speak about the image itself (i.e. model & photographer together)

#25 -- You have no PHOTOGRAPHERS on your friends list

HAAAA!!! LOL

Apr 07 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

Wayne Higgins wrote:

So now what am I gonna do with the other 500 ft of caution tape!

Oops.. sorry Wayne! ;-) I'm sure I got called on a couple points myself! :-P

Apr 08 06 01:14 am Link

Photographer

Kdakmmt

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

RudeFood wrote:

Ok,

While I can understand some of this, the driving part would piss you off, maybe.  But, I learned early on, for shooting, (this was 10 years ago, 15 maybe) that 1-hour labs often had *better* developing and fresher chemicals than "pro" labs, especially for print film.   *AND*, since negatives scanned just as nicely into PCD's, which was the "state of the art" back then, *and* models wanted pics to bring home, a 1-hour lab with double prints was a *great* deal.  And if you had a relationship with the lab even better.

Shooting slides was great for publications, but if your goal was the web, slides were actually a pain.  Slide scanners were slow and expensive.  Print scanners were very good, and the GIF format was only 256 colors anyway. JPG was just starting out, and most people weren't running 32m color monitors.

I've been shooting for web-release for a long, long time, but only switched to digital cameras in the last few months, and I'm having real issues with them.  They are *not* as good as film cameras in 99% of what I want them to do, other than they are *cheap* by comparison, and IMHO so are the results.

So, before knocking some of this, think about the history, and how 1-hour labs, if any survive outside of walmart, used to be part and parcel of the photographer's bag of tools.  Especially if you were testing something out, you could shoot a roll, get it developed while you were grabbing a snack, and see if the whole idea worked before you invested hundreds of dollars in film and processing in the idea.

Not everything is about digital. 

heheh I still use a flash that has a slow recharge rate on a camera that doesnt have a autowinder... I even remember having to send off my film at the photomat and wait a week to get it back.

Apr 08 06 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

#??? You say "Don't worry. I'll edit it out in Photoshop"

#???? You're 6'4", The model is 5'4" and you are too lazy to squat down so the camera is at the appropriate height for full length shots.

#????? Your logo/copyright on your photos is more impressive than the photo itself.

#?????? You show up for your shoot on the bus.

#??????? You crop your photos right at one of the model's joints (knee, elbow, etc)

Apr 08 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

~Krista~ wrote:
58# You think there is nothing wrong with videotaping (without knowledge) underage models in the changing rooms.

I know who this is... Isn't he in jail?

Apr 08 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Higgins

Patrick Shipstad wrote:

Oops.. sorry Wayne! ;-) I'm sure I got called on a couple points myself! :-P

No worrys Patrick! Ya gotta have a sense of humor!

Apr 08 06 06:52 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I think there are two sets of 100 going on here...

Apr 08 06 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Isaac Photography

Conyers, Georgia, US

You have a penis...and you own a camera.

Apr 08 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Burgos Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Isaac L wrote:
You have a large penis...and you own a camera.

Yep...that's me!

;-)

Apr 08 06 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Hunter Photography

Ishpeming, Michigan, US

Jose- JoseOnline wrote:
#61  Your photographer buddies told you to start shooting stories- so your stories always go like this- model in clothes, then model in lingeire, then model implied nude

#60  You insist on implieds to get those coveted oops shots

#59  You insist on a video camera taping of the shoot for your legal protection

One of the girls I was working with had a guy contact her with demand #59. We had a good laugh over that.

Apr 08 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

International Todd

Beijing, Beijing, China

Where can I get the stuffed parrot, and the snake???

Apr 08 06 08:14 am Link