Forums > General Industry > We're not here to give you FREE pictures

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Suzi wrote:

geez, i leave for a little while and it ALL gets pinned on me...

Sorry, she delegated all the work to you, that's why she is management now.......done with the unified field theory of modeling.... I also need a working prototype.

Thank you

Jan 16 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

...Stacy wrote:

well.  ok!

YES! That's my decisive Executive VP in action!

Jan 16 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

i do try.

Jan 16 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

TRPHOTOZ

Richmond, Virginia, US

00siris wrote:
Attention models:::::
Let me start by saying this: If you don't like a photographers work, then just move on.

There's a model who left me the following quote:
"I love your work - contact me for my rates" - WHAT !?!

Charging a photog is an insult unless he/she has a project or is trying to better himself/herself at a particular set. If you want to get paid, by all means do so. But, you have to go on castings or get an agent - it's as simple as that. You have to be willing to go out there and do a little work.

Read about or ask any successful model and find out that being pretty is just a small piece to the modeling puzzle.

Please try and find out what TFP/CD REALLY means - please - Enough is enough already.

You are so right

Jan 16 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
I have paid a model before.  She's well-known in her industry.  It attracted more attention to my portfolio.  Several girls told me that the reason they were interested in shooting with me was because of her.

Ouch!  That doesn't say much about your photography...  I personally would have turned them away, unless they were paying cash at which point my rates would have increased substantially!  It's like they said I don't think your work is anygood, but if So and So worked with you, you can't be all that bad...

Jan 16 06 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Hamza wrote:
Ouch!  That doesn't say much about your photography...  I personally would have turned them away, unless they were paying cash at which point my rates would have increased substantially!  It's like they said I don't think your work is anygood, but if So and So worked with you, you can't be all that bad...

It's called reputation.  It's easy for most anyone, regardless of talent, to get get girls to shoot with them.  How do girls know which guys are creeps and which one's aren't?  They contacted a model they know by name and asked for her opinion on me.  Keep in mind, at this time, I had only shot with 4 girls. And the only way I was able to show my work at the time was with the low-res pics on OMP.  So here's this well-known model putting in a great word on my work and professionalism.  I think that speaks volumes.

I don't have 20 years experience like you.  I had at that time less than 6 months.

Jan 17 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Jordan Michael Zuniga

Los Angeles, California, US

I would just like to throw my 2 cents in and say, Ill photograph you all for free.

I wont pay you, other than in CD's, but youll have a good time, and Ill even drink a glass of wine or have a beer with you. And have you seen my photos? Im GREAT! Lol.

[email protected]

Jan 17 06 02:38 am Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

Phil Kimpton wrote:

That reply cracked me up. I need a good hearty laugh after a long day at work. But both angles do have valid points to them.

Glad to give a laugh to those in need.  I was crackin' up myself when I wrote it.

Jan 17 06 09:47 am Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

Rebecca Alsbury wrote:
Wow, I can't say I have that much invested in my clothing/makeup. However, I could honestly say that I have a good grand or two invested just in my clothes. I did have around $100 worth of makeup until my kids got a hold of it last year, and I had to go out and buy all new...now, I keep my makeup in a locked train case. It saves my investment.

I'm getting ready to add on to my wardrobe again soon, as I need to get some more formal and career wear. I admit that I'm cheap, though. I like to look in flea markets and thrift stores for some things. I also look for sales online. I do a lot of my clothes shopping online now, because there are very few stores in my area that have decent looking clothes. I am not a fan of WalMart clothes...

I usually spend about $1000 a month on new clothes.  Not really expensive clothes, just clothes.  Of course with the $940 gas bill I just got, my clothes shopping will come to a halt!  smile

Jan 17 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

xrhapsodiex

New York, New York, US

Suzi wrote:

I have my clothes and shoes alone insured for $30,000.  Don't know what type of models you work with.  My manolo blahniks are $500 a piece.  Not to mention the evening gowns.  Suits, dresses, club wear, casual wear, and 125 plus pairs of shoes, etc...

Thank you Suzi!  We can't keep wearing the same tired stuff!  I've been on exactly 2 shoots we're clothing was provided.  And although i would love love love to have more of these shoots, I have to spend the $$$ first in order to get to that place.  Then there's printing costs, reproductions, transportation, and food(sometimes).  Just because we only bring 10 outfits, doesn't account for what we have sitting at our house that we bought for other shoots.

Jan 17 06 12:12 pm Link

Model

xrhapsodiex

New York, New York, US

Suzi wrote:

I have my clothes and shoes alone insured for $30,000.  Don't know what type of models you work with.  My manolo blahniks are $500 a piece.  Not to mention the evening gowns.  Suits, dresses, club wear, casual wear, and 125 plus pairs of shoes, etc...

Thank you Suzi!  We can't keep wearing the same tired stuff!  I've been on exactly 2 shoots we're clothing was provided.  And although i would love love love to have more of these shoots, I have to spend the $$$ first in order to get to that place.  Then there's printing costs, reproductions, transportation, and food(sometimes).  Just because we only bring 10 outfits, doesn't account for what we have sitting at our house that we bought for other shoots.

Jan 17 06 12:13 pm Link

Model

xrhapsodiex

New York, New York, US

Suzi wrote:

Jan 17 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

I think I'm sorry I even brought the notion up -- Ay yi yi yi yi yi

Jan 17 06 06:31 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

00siris wrote:
I think I'm sorry I even brought the notion up -- Ay yi yi yi yi yi

Don't worry, that happens allllllllllllllll the time! Now you know! wink
♀

Jan 17 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

elisaveta ♀ wrote:

Don't worry, that happens allllllllllllllll the time! Now you know! wink
♀

ROTFLMAO - thank you !!!!! next time I'll just shut my mouth - WHEW!

Jan 17 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

00siris wrote:

ROTFLMAO - thank you !!!!! next time I'll just shut my mouth - WHEW!

Oh c'mon, it's always good for a 8 to 10 page Hoot. Lol

Jan 17 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Elite Imaging wrote:

Oh c'mon, it's always good for a 8 to 10 page Hoot. Lol

I guess you have a point there - lol

Jan 17 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dossett Photography

Lovejoy, Georgia, US

theda wrote:

You mean you can actually get models to go for that? I don't think I've ever shot artisic work in exchange for soemthing I "needed" for my portfolio. For it's own sake, yes. For money, sure. But not for headshots.

I do this all the time. I use TFCD to get shots that I want/need for my portfolio, and I take whatever shots the model wants/needs for their portfolio. You know at one time iwas offering tfcd for artistic nude work OR  Bridal fashion shots, and I had to stop offering the artistic nudes! NO ONE wanted to do the bridal shots.

Jan 17 06 08:05 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Suzi wrote:

I usually spend about $1000 a month on new clothes.  Not really expensive clothes, just clothes.  Of course with the $940 gas bill I just got, my clothes shopping will come to a halt!  smile

I know exactly how you feel on that one! Only, with me, it's the mortgage, truck payment, cost for gas (for vehicle), electric, cable, internet...the list goes on...Plus, since I'm a mother of two kiddos, we pay for their clothes, toys, school supplies (for one), blah, blah, blah...by the end of the month, I'm lucky if I have anything left for myself. I guess that's why I like hitting the thrift stores to see if they have any cool vintage clothes. You never know when you will need a pair of patchwork jeans...lol!

Jan 17 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

A hint for those models who may be obsessed with shopping and justify it as a business expense:  Any easy way to save money is to contact local up-and-coming fashion designers.  Many of them would be willing to lend you outfits for shoots, just make sure they can get in contact with the photographer to get shots of their clothes.  EVen in Milwaukee there are several excellent young designers who can't wait to get portfolios of their work from great models and photographers.

Jan 17 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Amanda Schlicher wrote:
A hint for those models who may be obsessed with shopping and justify it as a business expense:  Any easy way to save money is to contact local up-and-coming fashion designers.  Many of them would be willing to lend you outfits for shoots, just make sure they can get in contact with the photographer to get shots of their clothes.  EVen in Milwaukee there are several excellent young designers who can't wait to get portfolios of their work from great models and photographers.

Or how about this?:

if you really have to have that Lord and Taylor wardrobe for the sake of having different outfits for a TFP/CD then use that $1000 for the shoot and return the clothes the next day.

It's done all the time

Jan 18 06 06:13 am Link

Photographer

edgymodels

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

let me break it down to you people.. if a photograher feels that that models has what he/she needs and go after that model then the photographer shoud do a tfp NOW! if a model like his /her work and tag the photographer and if that photographer feel that that model can't really give him what he/she needs for his use then he can give his/her his rates...
the same thing aply with a model!!! but i don't think so because there to many beautiful models out there were you don't haft to pay...
michel
edgy models
edgymodels.con

Learn people....

Jan 18 06 06:42 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

edgymodels wrote:
let me break it down to you people.. if a photograher feels that that models has what he/she needs and go after that model then the photographer shoud do a tfp NOW! if a model like his /her work and tag the photographer and if that photographer feel that that model can't really give him what he/she needs for his use then he can give his/her his rates...
the same thing aply with a model!!! but i don't think so because there to many beautiful models out there were you don't haft to pay...
michel
edgy models
edgymodels.con

Learn people....

It is that simple but if you've been following the whole thread, some people don't get it , like it rocket science or something, thays why I came up with this series of equations which has been revised from my earlier post...

M model
P photographer
D desire to work with
$ pay or pay rate
> Greater than
< Less than
TFP TFP/CD
C client

MD > PD = M$     Model desire is greater then photographer desire, model pays
MD < PD = P$      Model desire is less then photographer desire, photographer pays
MD  PD = TFP   Model desire equals photographer desire, TFP/CD
CD = M$ P$         Client desire both model and photographer gets paid
MDTFP NOT = PD$ = No Thanks     Model wants TFP but doesn't want to pay
PDTFP NOT = MD$ = No Thanks     Photographer wants TFP but doesn't want to pay

See? Nothing like taking a simple concept and making it more complex so people can understand it. Apparently, plain English isn't good enough.

Jan 18 06 07:10 am Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

00siris wrote:

Or how about this?:

if you really have to have that Lord and Taylor wardrobe for the sake of having different outfits for a TFP/CD then use that $1000 for the shoot and return the clothes the next day.

It's done all the time

I really just like to have all of those clothes.  I'm one of those people who "dresses" all the time.

Jan 18 06 01:12 pm Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:

It is that simple but if you've been following the whole thread, some people don't get it , like it rocket science or something, thays why I came up with this series of equations which has been revised from my earlier post...

M model
P photographer
D desire to work with
$ pay or pay rate
> Greater than
< Less than
TFP TFP/CD
C client

MD > PD = M$     Model desire is greater then photographer desire, model pays
MD < PD = P$      Model desire is less then photographer desire, photographer pays
MD  PD = TFP   Model desire equals photographer desire, TFP/CD
CD = M$ P$         Client desire both model and photographer gets paid
MDTFP NOT = PD$ = No Thanks     Model wants TFP but doesn't want to pay
PDTFP NOT = MD$ = No Thanks     Photographer wants TFP but doesn't want to pay

See? Nothing like taking a simple concept and making it more complex so people can understand it. Apparently, plain English isn't good enough.

oh...there you are.   i've been looking for you...

Jan 18 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

Nahesha

New York, New York, US

00siris wrote:
Attention models:::::
Let me start by saying this: If you don't like a photographers work, then just move on.

There's a model who left me the following quote:

Charging a photog is an insult unless he/she has a project or is trying to better himself/herself at a particular set. If you want to get paid, by all means do so. But, you have to go on castings or get an agent - it's as simple as that. You have to be willing to go out there and do a little work.

Read about or ask any successful model and find out that being pretty is just a small piece to the modeling puzzle.

Please try and find out what TFP/CD REALLY means - please - Enough is enough already.

Jan 18 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

Victoria E B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Sindia wrote:
I agree with both 00sirus & StaciF... I dont believe anyone should recieve unsolicated rates, from either model or photog. If someone really likes your work and asks your rates great... but if they haven't contacted you asking your rates dont push it on ppl. The same thing that happened to StaciF also happened to me, so i definitely understand where she is coming from!

Me too! In fact, I was under the impression that I was attending a quick shoot for an audition. It was for a pantyhose ad, but when he was finished with those pics he kept saying he'd love to shoot more, would I be interested? I was fine with that, and we worked for about 2 hours...then he showed me all the pics, got me excited...and told me how much I could get them for....hundreds....HMPH!
I agree with everyone!!! We need to attack clients...not each other. ROFLMAO

Jan 18 06 02:17 pm Link

Model

Felicia

Clearwater, Florida, US

MODELS VS PHOTOGRAPHERS

Whew, what a frenzy in here! I think the model should have put the rate part in a message to you. However we all want to make money. MM is for networking and hoping to build a better porfolio with hopes to find work doing what we enjoy. As far as TFP photographers want to own the rights to the images and the model is not getting paid and may get possible exposure or if one is nice enough he may work out a split plan share with you. If anything else it is always good for experience on both ends. Rock on and good luck!!!

Jan 18 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Suzi wrote:

oh...there you are.   i've been looking for you...

Is the theory ready??????

Jan 18 06 02:59 pm Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Eagerly awaiting the theory

Jan 18 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

BbyGrl82 wrote:

Me too! In fact, I was under the impression that I was attending a quick shoot for an audition. It was for a pantyhose ad, but when he was finished with those pics he kept saying he'd love to shoot more, would I be interested? I was fine with that, and we worked for about 2 hours...then he showed me all the pics, got me excited...and told me how much I could get them for....hundreds....HMPH!
I agree with everyone!!! We need to attack clients...not each other. ROFLMAO

You should have told him, "Well, now that we're talking money, here are my rates and it's cash only DUE now.  But, since I'm a nice girl, I'm willing to take a CD with all the photos in their highest resolution."

Why?  Cause that sucks for him to talk you into a shoot and then expect you to pay him to get the pics.  He should have been up front about his intentions with the photos.

Jan 18 06 03:09 pm Link

Model

Twigglet

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My only problem is that alot of photographers just EXPECT models to work for free.

I don't ask to get paid,atleast not yet. But to help out with expenses would be greatly appreciated.I hate when I go to a shoot,use my time,myclothes, my make-up,my money,and my gas to get there when THEY are the ones who want to work with me.Atleast help out with travel expenses. It makes for happy people smile

Most TFP moreso benefits the photographer,sure, models are allowed to use images,but photogs are able to sell and profit from them. And it's upsets me when I know that I used my money to produce that picture, but they are getting the profit.

It really is a 2 way street.We just need to learn to compromise.

Jan 18 06 03:13 pm Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:

Is the theory ready??????

the theory is ready.

want it?

Jan 18 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Suzi wrote:

the theory is ready.

want it?

Great! But I changed my mind 5 minutes ago, sorry - I flaked on you.

Jan 18 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:

Great! But I changed my mind 5 minutes ago, sorry - I flaked on you.

that's okay, 'cuz i didn't do it anyway.  i cancelled.

Jan 18 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Suzi wrote:

that's okay, 'cuz i didn't do it anyway.  i cancelled.

Models are so flakey!

Jan 18 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Chuck Holliday wrote:
you know you cant tell these babes anything, they feel as if theyre gods gift and like photographers cant replace them with animals and wildlife wink

hahahahahah! or rare and expensive vintage cars wink

Jan 18 06 04:31 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

00siris wrote:

Photographers aren't the only ones to receive messages like that, either.  I find it insulting when people send me them.

Jan 18 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:
It might have to do with the fact that most of your images are nude or implied, and honestly, I can't fault them for saying, "Hey, I like your work, but you don't get to see my unclothed crotch for free!"

Call me old fashioned, but your work is art.  There is nothing portfolio building about it.  No model on this site needs what you do for their portfolio, if they want it for some reason and want to get naked for you for free, great.  If they don't, you should take your own advice and just move on.

Artists usually have to pay models to sit for them, don't kid yourself that it's some sort of insult for someone to want to work with you but require pay.  As a photographer, I do the same thing about 10 times per day, on average.  Not with models, but with clients in my market.  It's a compliment.

Andy

Jan 19 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:
It might have to do with the fact that most of your images are nude or implied, and honestly, I can't fault them for saying, "Hey, I like your work, but you don't get to see my unclothed crotch for free!"

Call me old fashioned, but your work is art.  There is nothing portfolio building about it.  No model on this site needs what you do for their portfolio, if they want it for some reason and want to get naked for you for free, great.  If they don't, you should take your own advice and just move on.

Artists usually have to pay models to sit for them, don't kid yourself that it's some sort of insult for someone to want to work with you but require pay.  As a photographer, I do the same thing about 10 times per day, on average.  Not with models, but with clients in my market.  It's a compliment.

Andy

Jan 19 06 03:02 pm Link