Forums > General Industry > We're not here to give you FREE pictures

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Attention models:::::
Let me start by saying this: If you don't like a photographers work, then just move on.

There's a model who left me the following quote:
"I love your work - contact me for my rates" - WHAT !?!

Charging a photog is an insult unless he/she has a project or is trying to better himself/herself at a particular set. If you want to get paid, by all means do so. But, you have to go on castings or get an agent - it's as simple as that. You have to be willing to go out there and do a little work.

Read about or ask any successful model and find out that being pretty is just a small piece to the modeling puzzle.

Please try and find out what TFP/CD REALLY means - please - Enough is enough already.

Jan 16 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

WOLF WILSON

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I love it...   Great post.
Could not agree more.   Thanks for saying it.

Jan 16 06 07:36 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Here we go again.

Jan 16 06 07:49 am Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

And I am tired of photographers contacting me  saying you need better picture in your portfolio- Here are my fees-
  It is a two way street people- So quit complaining and start shooting- and you can't fault a model or a photographer for marketing themselves. If you think their is value pay it- If you don't move on- It isn't rocket science

Jan 16 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

StaciF wrote:
And I am tired of photographers contacting me  saying you need better picture in your portfolio- Here are my fees-
  It is a two way street people- So quit complaining and start shooting- and you can't fault a model or a photographer for marketing themselves. If you think their is value pay it- If you don't move on- It isn't rocket science

TRUE - this is the other side of the question - If a photographer contacts a model saying that he/she wants to get a model better pix, then he/she should be ready for TFP/CD - It's not right to feed off these start up models like that. If a photog wants to get work and it's a question of marketing, he/she should be prepared to do some work as well.

Not a bad point Staci - sorry I didn't mention it

Jan 16 06 08:11 am Link

Model

Sindia

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I agree with both 00sirus & StaciF... I dont believe anyone should recieve unsolicated rates, from either model or photog. If someone really likes your work and asks your rates great... but if they haven't contacted you asking your rates dont push it on ppl. The same thing that happened to StaciF also happened to me, so i definitely understand where she is coming from!

Jan 16 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

It might have to do with the fact that most of your images are nude or implied, and honestly, I can't fault them for saying, "Hey, I like your work, but you don't get to see my unclothed crotch for free!"

Call me old fashioned, but your work is art.  There is nothing portfolio building about it.  No model on this site needs what you do for their portfolio, if they want it for some reason and want to get naked for you for free, great.  If they don't, you should take your own advice and just move on.

Artists usually have to pay models to sit for them, don't kid yourself that it's some sort of insult for someone to want to work with you but require pay.  As a photographer, I do the same thing about 10 times per day, on average.  Not with models, but with clients in my market.  It's a compliment.

Andy

Jan 16 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Hypothetical: I am a salesman. I sell widgets. In my never ending search to sell lots of widgets I come across a potential customer who is buying widgets from a supplier with inferior product. Would I be wrong if I made a sales pitch to the customer?

Jan 16 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

00siris wrote:
Let me start by saying this: If you don't like a photographers work, then just move on.

Charging a photog is an insult unless he/she has a project or is trying to better himself/herself at a particular set. If you want to get paid, by all means do so. But, you have to go on castings or get an agent - it's as simple as that. You have to be willing to go out there and do a little work.

Read about or ask any successful model and find out that being pretty is just a small piece to the modeling puzzle.

Please try and find out what TFP/CD REALLY means - please - Enough is enough already.

Sitting here at the organ leading the choir while OOsiris preaches the gospel.  Preach on.

Brother Darque

Jan 16 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

King Garcia

Newark, New Jersey, US

I'm new (to photography... been an artist all my life) so i could be wrong... but i always thought this:

and this goes both for models & photographers...

I contact you... i pay you.
you contact me... you pay me.

smile

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I'm inclined to consider someone contacting me with her or his rates as spam.  Spam is bad.

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

here we go again

(rolling eyes smiley)

Jan 16 06 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:
It might have to do with the fact that most of your images are nude or implied, and honestly, I can't fault them for saying, "Hey, I like your work, but you don't get to see my unclothed crotch for free!"

Call me old fashioned, but your work is art.  There is nothing portfolio building about it.  No model on this site needs what you do for their portfolio, if they want it for some reason and want to get naked for you for free, great.  If they don't, you should take your own advice and just move on.

Artists usually have to pay models to sit for them, don't kid yourself that it's some sort of insult for someone to want to work with you but require pay.  As a photographer, I do the same thing about 10 times per day, on average.  Not with models, but with clients in my market.  It's a compliment.

Andy

If I want a particular model for my artistic work, I'll barter portraits. head shots, something they need for their port.

Darque

Jan 16 06 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

you know you cant tell these babes anything, they feel as if theyre gods gift and like photographers cant replace them with animals and wildlife wink

Jan 16 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I'm inclined to consider someone contacting me with her or his rates as spam.  Spam is bad.

Good point. If they are contacting me with rates, I agree. If they are just asking to collaborate (ie TFP shoot), I have no problem with that. This is a networking site after all.

Jan 16 06 09:21 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Darque wrote:
If I want a particular model for my artistic work, I'll barter portraits. head shots, something they need for their port.

You mean you can actually get models to go for that? I don't think I've ever shot artisic work in exchange for soemthing I "needed" for my portfolio. For it's own sake, yes. For money, sure. But not for headshots.

Jan 16 06 09:22 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Chuck Holliday wrote:
you know you cant tell these babes anything, they feel as if theyre gods gift and like photographers cant replace them with animals and wildlife wink

Yes. We are totally replaceable by badgers.  That's why there the new CK Badger line coming out.

Really, sometimes the attitudes here astound me.

Jan 16 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

00siris wrote:

How 'bout:  "If you don't like a model, then just move on."  I, for one, have no problem with models who wish to get paid.  I might not be the one paying them, but then again, maybe I will.

Stop whining.

Jan 16 06 09:25 am Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

Chuck Holliday wrote:

So do a lot of photographers.  Like models can't replace them with the guy from next door and his new digital.

Jan 16 06 09:26 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

StaciF wrote:

I totally agree! This argument is going no where!

Jan 16 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

00siris wrote:

Word!

Jan 16 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Suzi wrote:

So do a lot of photographers.  Like models can't replace them with the guy from next door and his new digital.

LOL, Nice comeback!

Yea, I've never seen a really good glamour or nude shot of a badger. Personally I'd rather stick to models....

Jan 16 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

oops, forgot i cant have an opinion in here unless i'm a pro, pardon me.

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Here we go again.

big_smile

Should I buy a Canon or Nikon?

Oops, wrong thread, sorry. I'll start a new one!

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

big_smile

Should I buy a Canon or Nikon?

Oops, wrong thread, sorry. I'll start a new one!

You mean for all the wildlife you will be taking pictures with?

(according to Mr. Holiday)

Jan 16 06 09:44 am Link

Model

sexy beech

BRONX, New York, US

Suzi wrote:

i'm not a pro model or anything i just started out but ha ha thats a hot comeback : 0 : ))

Jan 16 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

this thread is funny.

Jan 16 06 09:46 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Gary L. wrote:
this thread is funny.

sure is!

Jan 16 06 09:46 am Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Wow I agree!  That's ridiculous!  I'm thinking about starting to make rates for photo shoots, but if there's a photographer that I'm dying to work with, why would I charge him?  I mean, if his work is outstanding, especially compared to mine, I'm more likely to approach asking if he/she would want to do TFP work!

Jan 16 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

J Merrill Images wrote:
Hypothetical: I am a salesman. I sell widgets. In my never ending search to sell lots of widgets I come across a potential customer who is buying widgets from a supplier with inferior product. Would I be wrong if I made a sales pitch to the customer?

This is actually a very good point.  I believe the problem that model has is marketing.  If she wishes to contact photographers and quote rates, she needs to explain WHY she'd be worth it.  Such as, "Having me in your portfolio could potentially land you future PAID work as I am very well-known in the industry and clients love to hire photographers that have worked with me.  I also have a lot of models asking me for photographer referrals as well which could lead you to shoots with models that pay YOU."

I have paid a model before.  She's well-known in her industry.  It attracted more attention to my portfolio.  Several girls told me that the reason they were interested in shooting with me was because of her.

Jan 16 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Model Sarah wrote:

Hey, some of those girls I've worked with can be pretty wild big_smile

Jan 16 06 09:52 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

This is actually a very good point.  I believe the problem that model has is marketing.  If she wishes to contact photographers and quote rates, she needs to explain WHY she'd be worth it.  Such as, "Having me in your portfolio could potentially land you future PAID work as I am very well-known in the industry and clients love to hire photographers that have worked with me.  I also have a lot of models asking me for photographer referrals as well which could lead you to shoots with models that pay YOU."

I have paid a model before.  She's well-known in her industry.  It attracted more attention to my portfolio.  Several girls told me that the reason they were interested in shooting with me was because of her.

I think you have made the most valid point here. I was going to say the same thing but the "wildlife" comment was funnier wink

Jan 16 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

StaciF wrote:

Since to some it is Rocket Science:

M model
P photographer
D desire to work with
$ pay
> Greater than
< Less than
T TFP/CD
C client

MD < PD = M$
MD > PD = P$
MD = PD = T
CD = M$ P$

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

Model Sarah wrote:

my post was actually directed towards the new babes in particular, not anybody seasoned, but i didnt even get a chance to edit before the wolves took over, lol.

like i said, i'm out of this, i'm not an astute photog, lol, i was already told twice about posting if my work isnt stellar

Photographer

Austin Photo Inc

Rockville Centre, New York, US

I take pictures, models pose for pictures.  If we are in agreement, whatever it is, we have a go!  If not, we get on with out life.  We're all in this TOGETHER!  No need to criticize each other.  Whatever works for you is great!

Jan 16 06 10:01 am Link

Model

Sindia

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:
M model
P photographer
D desire to work with
$ pay
> Greater than
< Less than
T TFP/CD
C client

MD < PD = M$
MD > PD = P$
MD = PD = T
CD = M$ P$

Makes sense to me...

Jan 16 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sindia wrote:
Makes sense to me...

I just added an additional equation for paying clients.

Jan 16 06 10:05 am Link

Model

Suzi

Toledo, Ohio, US

Jeff Fiore wrote:
LOL, Nice comeback!

Yea, I've never seen a really good glamour or nude shot of a badger. Personally I'd rather stick to models....

http://www.worth1000.com/emailthis.asp?entry=198660

Jan 16 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

WestWoodStudios

All i would like to say is that we are in a community and there should be a equal understanding on both parties. Some more experienced models will go for money before a cd. If there is a new model on the site, and willing to give her time to work with more accomplished photographers there is always room for talk and see if he/she and the other party can come up with a reasonable plan. In my opion there should only be pay if there is a project and someone is hiring both parties, Model/Photographer. On the flip side, some photographers have thousands of dollars in equipment and have huge rents to pay, would it be fair for them to shoot for free? perhaps some of the well known and good photographers can hold open shoots for beginner models male and female. This is one of the toughest things in todays market, With all the photomills, scammers, and hustlers out there today a newer model may be confused and not understand what it takes to get a paying job or gig. Is it not up to us as a community to lend them a guiding hand and show them the diference? and not want to take from them? well this is just my opion and surely not important.

Robert
WWS

Jan 16 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

There are a few people here who I'd like to spam...who could become better photographers if they could hire me to teach them.. I know..I know... that would be a pretty low thing to do, and would surely ignite a fierce Gen. forum topic..  wink  ...which is exactly why I'd do it..  big_smile

JP

Jan 16 06 10:12 am Link