Forums > General Industry > People need to be more honest

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

I just recently joined MM and after browsing around reading comments and tags I came to a conclusion: people are afraid to be honest. I understand that people want to be nice to eachother and not hurt anyone's feelings but at some point it becomes misleading. There are some models on this site that have absolutely no business being in this business. It's unfortunate but there are very strict standards in the modeling world, so is it really helpful to tell someone that they are beautiful or that they will do great if you know for yourself that it is a lie?? I worry that some of these young girls will get taken advantage of by people who see them and their dreams as easy prey.
What do you think, can we be honest without being too hurtful?

Nov 07 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

I think if someone has a chance to live out their dream they should stop at nothing to do it, but the need to keep in mind a dream is a a dream, and many don't come true.  If it works it works, if not have a backup dream

Nov 07 06 05:42 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I completely agree.  With the OP.  But I'm mean most days so don't take my word for it.

Nov 07 06 05:42 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

Kasmia wrote:
I think if someone has a chance to live out their dream they should stop at nothing to do it, but the need to keep in mind a dream is a a dream, and many don't come true.  If it works it works, if not have a backup dream

Yes, but should we encourage them even if we don't believe their dream is viable or should we be honest and let them see the reality of the situation?

Nov 07 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Hair By Shelli wrote:

Yes, but should we encourage them even if we don't believe their dream is viable or should we be honest and let them see the reality of the situation?

Practice what you preach. And good luck with that.

Nov 07 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Go ahead, to each portfolio, and give them the cold hard truth. Start here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=2809

Tell her that she has no place in modelling. Tell her that the success she has actually had was not real.

Nov 07 06 05:50 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I don't know.  It's all so relative.  You talk about the standards of the industry, but I'm left wondering...which industry?  We have people here who make their living doing everything from damsel-in-distress websites to editorial fashion.  The requirements for the many genres that collide here are so wildly divergent that there's a niche for almost any kind of model, if he or she chooses to pursue it.

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Shyly wrote:
I don't know.  It's all so relative.  You talk about the standards of the industry, but I'm left wondering...which industry?  We have people here who make their living doing everything from damsel-in-distress websites to editorial fashion.  The requirements for the many genres that collide here are so wildly divergent that there's a niche for almost any kind of model, if he or she chooses to pursue it.

Damn you! I was using you as an example and you had to pipe up.

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Agreed. As a photog, we lose an opportunity to learn when someone says it's a great photo when it's not. I try to be specific about what I like in someone's port so they know I'm sincere. I wish more people would give honest opinions, we'd be better off.

Nov 07 06 05:51 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
Damn you! I was using you as an example and you had to pipe up.

Whoa!  I totally didn't see that!

*piping down*

Nov 07 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
Go ahead, to each portfolio, and give them the cold hard truth. Start here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=2809

Tell her that she has no place in modelling. Tell her that the success she has actually had was not real.

but she has talent smile and a lot more than a lot i have seen

Nov 07 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shyly wrote:

*piping down*

You have no place here Shyly.  You do NOT in fact rawk!

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Shyly wrote:

*piping down*

We posted at the same time, dear. wink

Photographer

Kas_

Hair By Shelli wrote:

I dont think its right to tell someone starting out that they are going to become rich and famous, encouraging them to the point where they devote everything into it.  Follow it as best you can, maybe you'll find your niche.  I agree, some models will definately not make it, but if they do it as a hobby theres no harm in that.

Nov 07 06 05:54 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Michael Hall

Seattle, Washington, US

Go for the honesty.
Same time encourage as they may be able to something despite, but let them know the odds. then they can, if they've the heart, to fight harder. You never know, haha.

MH

Nov 07 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I will say this...Most of the regulars on these forums are some of the most brutally honest people I've encountered.

Nov 07 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Infinite Eye

New York, New York, US

I think we may be forgetting that "honest" does not always mean "negative" and/or "critical."  I am usually more moved to express it when I enjoy something than when I do not.

On sites like these criticism comes more frequently in the form of silence.  I think it says just about enough when no one responds to an image.

Nov 07 06 06:05 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

Mikel Featherston wrote:

Obviously, there are different niche markets for models of different sizes and looks. But I'm talking about the ones who are 5'6", 135lbs and think they are going to be the next Giselle

Nov 07 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Hair By Shelli wrote:

Obviously, there are different niche markets for models of different sizes and looks. But I'm talking about the ones who are 5'6", 135lbs and think they are going to be the next Giselle

You made a blanket statement. A statement that did not include exceptions.

Nov 07 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Hair By Shelli wrote:

Yes, you should encourage them!  Simply because the dream isn't yours.  All one has to do is look at history and see this.  Look how many have been told their ideas were stupid, ridiculous, wouldn't work, will never make it, only to have been proven wrong.  Never underestimate the power of a dream in a person.  One who will not stop at anything to see the dream realized, against all odds imaginable.  Edison, Wright brothers, Bill Gates, you name it.  Hell, even Warren Buffett was told by his dad and Ben Graham the time just wasn't right to do what he wanted to do.  He didn't listen and did it anyway, making him now the 2nd wealthiest person in the world.

Nov 07 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Niesha Studio wrote:
I think we may be forgetting that "honest" does not always mean "negative" and/or "critical."  I am usually more moved to express it when I enjoy something than when I do not.

On sites like these criticism comes more frequently in the form of silence.  I think it says just about enough when no one responds to an image.

Fair enough. Constructive criticism also comes in the form of private messages. I've given (and received) a fair amount this way.

Nov 07 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Kasmia wrote:

dreams do come true but not by sitting at home watching tv, go on make it happen

Nov 07 06 06:15 pm Link

Model

Jessica Apple

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

Jason McKendricks wrote:
Fair enough. Constructive criticism also comes in the form of private messages. I've given (and received) a fair amount this way.

I think this is a great approach...a private message, but I wouldn't openly go out and tell them.  Also, I find it hard to criticize anybody unless they have asked to be critiqued.  A lot of the girls on here might not be trying to be the next supermodel--they might just want to do it for fun.  They may not be pretty, but they might be great for a local photographer that needs experience and just would like some models for TFP.

Nov 07 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Infinite Eye

New York, New York, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Good point!  I think it's much more appropriate that way, in addition to making it more likely that your opinion will be taken at face value.

Nov 07 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

jonathan ledeux wrote:

dreams do come true but not by sitting at home watching tv, go on make it happen

Never say they didnt come true by doing nothing tongue

Kasmia wrote:
I think if someone has a chance to live out their dream they should stop at nothing to do it

Nov 07 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Heh, I know what we should do... Get rid of the Newbie forum. As a condition of activating membership, all newbies have to introduce themselves in the critique forum. Then everyone can luv or shred the newbie as they see fit!

Nov 07 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

How about people that post other artist work....

for example (see my comment)  This model just joined MM and is already stealing photos. 

Lets get rid of them.  The're giving everyone else a bad name.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=241922

Nov 07 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

timothy dolph wrote:

for example (see my comment)  This model just joined MM and is already stealing photos. 

Don't bring this here. Take it to the moderators.

Nov 07 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

timothy dolph wrote:

Slandering someones name in public won't do any good, and leaving nasty tags does nothing either lol tongue  The mods are the ones you should be talking to

Nov 07 06 06:28 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Kasmia wrote:
Slandering someones name in public won't do any good, and leaving nasty tags does nothing either lol tongue  The mods are the ones you should be talking to

Its not slander if it's true.
That image isn't done with the model I thought was in it, but it's very popular (even used as flashy comments on Myspace).

Nov 07 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

This is the internet.  You'll run into two types of people here.

•People who'll blow smoke up your ass.

•People who will be scorchingly negative because they're "so real" when all they're really doing is trying to make up for the fact that they're pushovers in real-life.

Occasionally, you run into people from a third category who are genuinely honest, but that group is so small that they're no more than an anomaly...

Nov 07 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Jay Bowman wrote:
This is the internet.  You'll run into two types of people here.

•People who'll blow smoke up your ass.

•People who will be scorchingly negative because they're "so real" when all they're really doing is trying to make up for the fact that they're pushovers in real-life.

Occasionally, you run into people from a third category who are genuinely honest, but that group is so small that they're no more than an anomaly...

Jay,

your work sucks. Sell your camera, and go back to selling used cars.

Nov 07 06 06:34 pm Link

Model

Urheartdesires

timothy dolph wrote:

Wow! I know your a honest man.  You didn't bite your tongue when you told person to get their own pictures.

Nov 07 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Wow! I know your a honest man.  You didn't bite your tongue when you told person to get their own pictures.

That's because the model is a friend of mine and I know who took the photo.  Not only is the image in the port, but they made it the Avatar.  haha  busted.

Nov 07 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Hair By Shelli wrote:
I just recently joined MM and after browsing around reading comments and tags I came to a conclusion: people are afraid to be honest. I understand that people want to be nice to eachother and not hurt anyone's feelings but at some point it becomes misleading. There are some models on this site that have absolutely no business being in this business. It's unfortunate but there are very strict standards in the modeling world, so is it really helpful to tell someone that they are beautiful or that they will do great if you know for yourself that it is a lie?? I worry that some of these young girls will get taken advantage of by people who see them and their dreams as easy prey.
What do you think, can we be honest without being too hurtful?

I will start being honest right now.

There are very strict standards in being in the hair business in terms of working in fashion or glamour. I am not saying you are not capable but your port shows nothing that would cause me to hire or recommend you as a stylist on a set. So you better pack up and go back to whatever barbershop that you work at.

Get real with few exceptions everyone is here because they like what they do and want to take what they do to the next level whatever that maybe. If you are stuck at your level, my condolences.

RB

Nov 07 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
Jay,

your work sucks. Sell your camera, and go back to selling used cars.

Nowwaitadamnminnit.

You can tell me my work sucks...  You can tell me I need to sell my camera...  You can even say that I need to go back to my old job...

...but if you think I'm going to sit here for one second and let you accuse me of having been a used car salesman at any point in my life... well, buddy, you got another thing coming...

Nov 07 06 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Lol, I'd never say 'OMG you're fugly! Leave!' I would say, 'Nice pose, good, confident gaze. Next time try tilting your head (or whatever appropriate advice).  It doesn't help to say a mediocre photo is great but offering suggestions gives them something to consider.

Nov 07 06 06:44 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

RBDesign wrote:

I will start being honest right now.

There are very strict standards in being in the hair business in terms of working in fashion or glamour. I am not saying you are not capable but your port shows nothing that would cause me to hire or recommend you as a stylist on a set. So you better pack up and go back to whatever barbershop that you work at.

Get real with few exceptions everyone is here because they like what they do and want to take what they do to the next level whatever that maybe. If you are stuck at your level, my condolences.

RB

You obviously didn't understand what I was getting at hear. I wasn't implying that we be mean to people. I can handle some constructive criticism, which was not what you just gave. I am just at the beginning stages of my career as a fashion stylist, therefor I know I need to learn and grow, but to tell me that I need to give up is simply said out of spite because you didn't like what I said for some reason. You have to realize that there is a difference: an artist can improve on their work where as a model cannot grow 4 inches or become prettier (unless they go under the knife).

Nov 07 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Shelli, by now you probably realized your not involved in a modeling site, you joined a zoo. At least most of the forums are a zoo. And you posted some things that hurt the feelings of most of the animals. You should go over to the little dispenser, stick in a quarter and get some pet feed. Bring it back over and feed a little bit to everyone and try not to get bit. You might start with that orangutan RBDesign because its way past feeding time and he sounds hungry.

Nov 07 06 06:50 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
And you posted some things that hurt the feelings of most of the animals.

Woof!

Nov 07 06 06:51 pm Link