Forums > General Industry > People need to be more honest

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
Shelli, by now you probably realized your not involved in a modeling site, you joined a zoo. At least most of the forums are a zoo. And you posted some things that hurt the feelings of most of the animals. You should go over to the little dispenser, stick in a quarter and get some pet feed. Bring it back over and feed a little bit to everyone and try not to get bit. You might start with that orangutan RBDesign because its way past feeding time and he sounds hungry.

lol... Thanks for the advice

Nov 07 06 06:52 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Shyly wrote:

Woof!

Meow!

Nov 07 06 06:53 pm Link

Model

Urheartdesires

I like when people are honest, and give constructive criticism.  People have been honest with me.  Hold my head straight, get a better photographer, MUA, work on facial expressions.  By them being honest with me this allowed me to know where I needed to make changes.  I call it making room for improvement.  If your not honest with someone they continue to think their work is ok.  When you know you can push them to do better. Letting them know where their mistakes are.  That's how people learn.  You can agree or disagree.

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

Shelli, by now you probably realized your not involved in a modeling site, you joined a zoo. At least most of the forums are a zoo. And you posted some things that hurt the feelings of most of the animals. You should go over to the little dispenser, stick in a quarter and get some pet feed. Bring it back over and feed a little bit to everyone and try not to get bit. You might start with that orangutan RBDesign because its way past feeding time and he sounds hungry.

lol..thanks for the advice

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Shyly wrote:

Woof!

I would have thought to hear some kind of cat snarl out of you.

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
I like when people are honest, and give constructive criticism.  People have been honest with me.  Hold my head straight, get a better photographer, MUA, work on facial expressions.  By them being honest with me this allowed me to know where I needed to make changes.  I call it making room for improvement.  If your not honest with someone they continue to think their work is ok.  When you know you can push them to do better. Letting them know where their mistakes are.  That's how people learn.  You can agree or disagree.

Go get a job as a roofer. Then I'll know how much you make.

Nov 07 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Hair By Shelli wrote:

You obviously didn't understand what I was getting at hear. I wasn't implying that we be mean to people. I can handle some constructive criticism, which was not what you just gave. I am just at the beginning stages of my career as a fashion stylist, therefor I know I need to learn and grow, but to tell me that I need to give up is simply said out of spite because you didn't like what I said for some reason. You have to realize that there is a difference: an artist can improve on their work where as a model cannot grow 4 inches or become prettier (unless they go under the knife).

True, except a LOT of pro models aren't "pretty" either.  And there are plenty of shorter ones, depending upon what is being modeled.  When I watch one of those runway shows I see maybe 1-2 I consider to be pretty.

Nov 07 06 06:55 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

I've gotta go, continue on without me "muah"

Nov 07 06 06:55 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

True, except a LOT of pro models aren't "pretty" either.

THAT'S for damn sure!

Nov 07 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

THAT'S for damn sure!

LMAO!!  It is much more than about being pretty.

Nov 07 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Hair By Shelli wrote:

You obviously didn't understand what I was getting at hear. I wasn't implying that we be mean to people. I can handle some constructive criticism, which was not what you just gave. I am just at the beginning stages of my career as a fashion stylist, therefor I know I need to learn and grow, but to tell me that I need to give up is simply said out of spite because you didn't like what I said for some reason. You have to realize that there is a difference: an artist can improve on their work where as a model cannot grow 4 inches or become prettier (unless they go under the knife).

Honest with no subterfuge and no making fun of you at all:

1) one you are narrow minded so your ability to grow is limited.
2) there are 1000's of models out there that do not meet your specs that make a very decent income from full time modelling
3) hear is actually here.

RB

Nov 07 06 06:57 pm Link

Model

Urheartdesires

Go get a job as a roofer. Then I'll know how much you make.

Get a job as a bartender serving pina coladas in a wet bar with a hawaiin skirt on doing the jingle.  Then I will know how much you make.

Nov 07 06 06:58 pm Link

Model

L57

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

The thing is, for the most part your right, there are some people who aren't meant to be models, they will find out someday and the sooner they do, the quicker they can move on with thier lives (who knows, maybe i'm one of them). 

Telling them out of the blue on a forum or thier profile won't really help though.  PM's are the best way, but honestly many are not willing to listen, why put yourself out to try and point something out to someone who doesn't want to hear it?  Even in the critique section when people ask for opinions they're probably often looking for encouragement, not critique.  So really, in the end, why bother, if someone asks, give them your honest opinion...

that being said i'm always happy for honest opinions and critiques, out of the blue or not..

Nov 07 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Yo, ifin uuu be critizizin uuu better make suurrrr that youu be critizzin rightly

RB

Nov 07 06 07:00 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Critiques are rarely welcomed out of the blue. If I didn't ask for one, I probably don't care for it in the first place.

Nov 07 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

welcome to the jungle....

Nov 07 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Lora wrote:
Critiques are rarely welcomed out of the blue. If I didn't ask for one, I probably don't care for it in the first place.

And some want to give it, but can't accept it in the forum.  smile  So they bow out.

Nov 07 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

wishingtreephotography wrote:

welcome to the jungle....

It gets worse here all the time...

Name the artist

Nov 07 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Get a job as a bartender serving pina coladas in a wet bar with a hawaiin skirt on doing the jingle.  Then I will know how much you make.

Damn urheartsdesire2, thats a great idea. I would love to get you drunk to find out what you're paying that guy down in TX to shoot you and how much you make being a model. Plus the bonus is we would find out that we loved one another and would want to get drunk every night of our lives. Whats a jingle. I had an uncle named urheartsdesire2, he was gay.

Nov 07 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

RBDesign wrote:

It gets worse here all the time...

Name the artist

Guns n Roses

Nov 07 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Why do people pump other people up falsely? Well...sometimes it's in hopes of recieving the same treatment in return. Some times it's to be nice. Sometimes it's to get them naked or in bed or paying for your services. Besides...saying you suck no way you'll ever be a fashion model so come get naked for me and make art doesn't sound like such a good apporach.
Mike

Nov 07 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Colin Rowe wrote:
The thing is, for the most part your right, there are some people who aren't meant to be models, they will find out someday and the sooner they do, the quicker they can move on with thier lives (who knows, maybe i'm one of them). 

Telling them out of the blue on a forum or thier profile won't really help though.  PM's are the best way, but honestly many are not willing to listen, why put yourself out to try and point something out to someone who doesn't want to hear it?  Even in the critique section when people ask for opinions they're probably often looking for encouragement, not critique.  So really, in the end, why bother, if someone asks, give them your honest opinion...

that being said i'm always happy for honest opinions and critiques, out of the blue or not..

1. Are you seriously suggesting this poor woman start PMSing to models that she thinks aren't any good. We'll be brushing aside strips of her flesh just to get out of the Mayhem forums with our lives. Are you crazy.

2. Get a real job.

3. https://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/mrpoodledoo/36_12_6.gif

https://bestsmileys.com/kissing1/1.gif

https://bestsmileys.com/angry1/8.gif

https://bestsmileys.com/love2/6.gif

Nov 07 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

NLI

Wichita, Kansas, US

There are all kinds of modeling.  Some models who are suited for artistic are not suited for runway, and vice versa.  Some can do well in life style/stock photography modeling and promotionals.  Some are going to do well as plus models, goth models, etc.

I think it has as much to do with professionalism, hard work and constant marketing and improvement that will determine their success.  If they're cut out for it, they'll get out.  I've known some stunning models who went nowhere because they thought the world would seek them out and they didn't work.

Unfortunately, even if you're drop dead perfect, you can be taken advantage of.  Everyone should be careful.

Nov 07 06 07:08 pm Link

Model

LORA

Bob, that's so cute!

Nov 07 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

NLI

Wichita, Kansas, US

Lora wrote:

And Lora who is stunning, will know this isn't directed at her.  Regardless of how wonderful you look, or shoot photos for that matter, we all need thick skins out here.  If we deliver critiques they're likely better delivered in PM's, and they should balance good w/bad in the spirit of critique which isn't a put down session.

Nov 07 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lora wrote:

Bob, that's so cute!

God damn I love those little cartoony things. I copy everyone I see.

Nov 07 06 07:12 pm Link

Model

LORA

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/bluesarah55/Stupid.jpg

It's not animated like yours, but I like the shot. Nice concept, hot model. Awesome styling. That's the truth!

smile

Nov 07 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

people have different goals here. The models you think are bad may be very happy to work with the photographers you think are bad, and vice versa.

Nov 07 06 07:14 pm Link

Model

Urheartdesires

Damn urheartsdesire2, thats a great idea. I would love to get you drunk to find out what you're paying that guy down in TX to shoot you and how much you make being a model. Plus the bonus is we would find out that we loved one another and would want to get drunk every night of our lives. Whats a jingle. I had an uncle named urheartsdesire2, he was gay.

You still trying to find out how much I'm paying.  Damn Bob how could you still be stuck on that?  What I make as a model doesn't matter, but I will tell you I get mine.  If we found out we loved one another I would simply have to tell you to get a life cause you drink to damn much.  That's the jingle. Your uncles name was urheartsdesire2 that means he was happy ("GAY").  I'm happy for him.

Nov 07 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

one of my favs

https://www.gfy.com/images/icons/mad2.gif

Some much emo in so few pixels

RB

Nov 07 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

You still trying to find out how much I'm paying.  Damn Bob how could you still be stuck on that?  What I make as a model doesn't matter, but I will tell you I get mine.  If we found out we loved one another I would simply have to tell you to get a life cause you drink to damn much.  That's the jingle. Your uncles name was urheartsdesire2 that means he was happy ("GAY").  I'm happy for him.

How do you make money as a model if you are paying for photogs. I am so confused. I thought that Bob Randall wanted to know how much you are paying not how much you are making. F' it let us see the business plan for all of it.

RB

Nov 07 06 07:18 pm Link

Model

Urheartdesires

RBDesign wrote:
How do you make money as a model if you are paying for photogs. I am so confused. I thought that Bob Randall wanted to know how much you are paying not how much you are making. F' it let us see the business plan for all of it.

RB

He asked both?  How much do I make as a model, and how much I'm paying photog. There was a previous thread you may have missed out on.  It will work out fine.  Ummm I do work.  Hello!

Nov 07 06 07:24 pm Link

Model

L57

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Colin Rowe wrote:

1. Are you seriously suggesting this poor woman start PMSing to models that she thinks aren't any good. We'll be brushing aside strips of her flesh just to get out of the Mayhem forums with our lives. Are you crazy.

2. Get a real job.

3. https://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/mrpoodledoo/36_12_6.gif

https://bestsmileys.com/angry1/8.gif

https://bestsmileys.com/love2/6.gif

1. Based on what I see, that is what I think, I'm not suggesting anything, she or you can pm, tag, or do whatever you please as far as I care.  Though i'd say anyone who searches through this entire site to critique people via pm or not is a tad crazy, so i'm not sure where you're going there...

2.  No, who wants a real job anyways?

3. Nice smileys, and rating your points from 1-3...next time standard syllogistic form would be fun and then I can guess at the premises and use a strawman arugement...lol

Nov 07 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

ClassicHorror

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Well, as in most enterprises, there are people who think they are experts.
If we were all absolutely sure of "the next big thing" , we'd have more money than the Beatles. LOL!!

I'm always reminded of the first studio talent agent's notes on Fred Astaire:

"Can't sing. Can't act. Dances a little."

And don't forget the Experts at the Chargers passed on Peyton Manning to take Ryan Leaf.

I think it's best to just be nice and don't shatter anyone's dream.
The cream will always rise to the top.

Nov 07 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I think that nobody has any business saying anything bad about anybody on this site. There's nobody qualified to judge anyone because we all have different styles and skill levels. This isn't a high fashion modeling agency and we're not all at the same level and not all shooting for Vogue. There are artists, beginners, fine art nude photographers, fetish, etc... [[[]]]Personally one of my short term goals would be to get some pictures in "Gothic Beauty". So are you going to tell a curvy, tattooed, pierced girl, (that I would love to work with!) that she has no business on here? Some of us like alternative...some like heavy girls, some like waifs, some like redheads, some like...
I need an elderly woman for a scripted shoot but can't seem to find one right now...

There are models and photographers for everyone here. Some people just need some good pictures taken. And if a plain and ordinary girl gets some nice pictures for her sweetheart or father and mother while a beginning photographer gets some practice then all I can say is "What a great site!"

Pick the ones you want to work with and leave everyone else for the people who want to work with them. If they weren't getting many offers they wouldn't stay around anyway.

Woof.

Nov 07 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Colin Rowe wrote:
3. Nice smileys, and rating your points from 1-3...next time standard syllogistic form would be fun and then I can guess at the premises and use a strawman arugement...lol

You had me to here and then you blew it. "arugement". I would have a least spell checked if I was gonna get all superior about this stuff.

And where in the world does syllogistic form of logic come in to play here. I've stated no case for either a major or minor premise and didn't even attempt to front a conclusion. I was just fuckin with ya.

Nov 07 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

Miss Kelly T

Orlando, Florida, US

critique me please.. i'm open for honesty, i won't be offended.. private message if you must smile

Nov 07 06 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

You had me to here and then you blew it. "arugement". I would have a least spell checked if I was gonna get all superior about this stuff.

And where in the world does syllogistic form of logic come in to play here. I've stated no case for either a major or minor premise and didn't even attempt to front a conclusion. I was just fuckin with ya.

Actually, I think he was just asking for his appetizer.  That's "arugula", right? 

-- rick

Nov 07 06 10:23 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

RBDesign wrote:
Honest with no subterfuge and no making fun of you at all:

1) one you are narrow minded so your ability to grow is limited.
2) there are 1000's of models out there that do not meet your specs that make a very decent income from full time modelling
3) hear is actually here.

RB

Actually, I am a very open minded person. If you believe that a certain model on HERE (thank you for correcting my grammer mistake, by the way) has potential, than by all means, be supportive, compliment them as much as your heart desires. I just have a problem with people that might give compliments that are insincere in order to be nice or to repay for a compliment given to them. I just want people to be honest, not to hurt people's feelings or dash their dreams. If you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all, unless of course, you are asked for your opinion.

Nov 07 06 10:52 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
Go ahead, to each portfolio, and give them the cold hard truth. Start here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=2809

Tell her that she has no place in modelling. Tell her that the success she has actually had was not real.

Honesty:

I think you're a lump of shit for posting this.

Nov 07 06 10:53 pm Link