Forums > General Industry > MM Not For Modeling

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Kinetic Photography wrote:
Okay, I was on MM for a year before and I got one model to show up.  I have now been here again for 2 months and not a single call.  Personally, I think there is something wrong with the people on this site.  All other sites I get models to show up everyday if I wanted.

Dude!
You've been here 1 month not two. You've accumulated 16 friends, so you're not networking. You have only 5 images, many of which are too dark or faint. I see you've been posting quite a  bit, but geeezzzz....

Exactly how many models have you approached with a specific project - and been rejected?

John

Oct 28 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

I dont pay models.  Models and clients pay me. I will however work for free if the model is young and VERY beautiful.  I only have a few images because I feel those images speak for themselves.  Most photographers on this site fill their portfolio with 20 images and 19 of them are just bad.  If you are a model and you dont feel you would get the "kind of images you need" by working with me than I would suggest giving you some advice.  Two of the models in my images are signed by Ford and I did much of their portfolio work.  Who are YOU signed with ?  How do YOU know what kind of images you need ? 
I guess maybe my problem was that my standards are too high for the models on this site and they are just used to working with low end photographers.   I have a very "built up port" but I am afraid 99% of the models on here wouldnt know the difference.  Now please....flame away smile

Get lost TROLL!

Oct 28 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I dont pay models.  Models and clients pay me. I will however work for free if the model is young and VERY beautiful.  I only have a few images because I feel those images speak for themselves.  Most photographers on this site fill their portfolio with 20 images and 19 of them are just bad.  If you are a model and you dont feel you would get the "kind of images you need" by working with me than I would suggest giving you some advice.  Two of the models in my images are signed by Ford and I did much of their portfolio work.  Who are YOU signed with ?  How do YOU know what kind of images you need ? 
I guess maybe my problem was that my standards are too high for the models on this site and they are just used to working with low end photographers.   I have a very "built up port" but I am afraid 99% of the models on here wouldnt know the difference.  Now please....flame away smile

Post hoc. Are you implying you shot and therefore they signed with Ford? Should everyone be blessed by shooting with you and thinking that you're the magic ticket to fame and fortune?

Oct 28 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Hmm.. okay. I don't believe a word of this. If any of it was true, you either a) would never have come here or b) would have mentioned these things on your portfolio.
Aside from your snide insult to "most photographers on this site" your excuse for having such a tiny portfolio makes no sense on any level. Besides, any photographer worth a damn knows there are a LOT of highly talented people on this site.
If you have 20 good images, put the damn things up. If you've worked with Ford models, name them. If you have clients, name them. Your page says nothing of this level of experience. And if you're "too good" to stoop to such pandering, don't complain when models overlook you.
So from the evidence you're either lying, stupid, or a troll .. possibly all 3.

Oct 28 06 08:09 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

Okay, I was on MM for a year before and I got one model to show up.  I have now been here again for 2 months and not a single call.  Personally, I think there is something wrong with the people on this site.  All other sites I get models to show up everyday if I wanted.

So...tell us...if you're that serious, then why the * are you here?!

Oct 28 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

I will be leaving soon.  However, when I realized that this site doesnt work for me and getting models then I decided to just post in the forums.  Its been fun but I guess i'll be leaving soon.

Oct 28 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Standard rule of thumb for a 'real' portfolio:

Strongest image first.
Strongest image last.
Nothing but your strongest work in the middle.

Does that describe your portfolio?

(It doesn't describe my MM one; I use MM more as a rolling set of examples rather than only my best work.)

Oct 28 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

what are these other sites, I woulc be interested!

and nice work!!

Oct 28 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I will be leaving soon.  However, when I realized that this site doesnt work for me and getting models then I decided to just post in the forums.  Its been fun but I guess i'll be leaving soon.

Things don't add up here!

If you do all that fantastic work for those clients and Ford etc., why are you so desperate trying to find models on an internet site?

I mean, I shoot for agencies, I have a ton of clients, but I don't even expect or pursue Model Mayhems membership as a source of my income.

It's simply networking and fun.

I have several working colleagues (fashion, runway, editorial, commercial and journalistic photographers) who are my friends,  who do exactly the same... just fun.

So, either you are the type of photographer you tell us you are, or you embellished your credentials in this thread, either to cover up, or as it was mentioned... trolling for your amusement.

Toodles

P.S.: If this is indeed your photo, it's VERY nice! And I believe that she is with Ford, because she also looks like someone who came to one of our castings for the Couture FW... actually, I may have taken her shot for our records, or I shot her on the runway:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060917/16/450dc42c75784_m.jpg

Oct 28 06 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

BlindMike wrote:
Screw this site - I mail order for my models. Shipping is a bitch but at least I get what I want.

Christopher b Smyth wrote:
What about packaging. Must be tough wrapping them.

Bubble wrap and peanuts works pretty well. I got this one on sale. smile
https://www.kevinconnery.com/photos/2006/misc/20060609_155618r2_vboxsmall.jpg

Oct 28 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

There will be many a dry eye when you leave here.

Oct 28 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

eyetoeye-Images

Memphis, Alabama, US

What is really great about your soon departure????....It will be like you were never here...smile

Be sure you notify Tyler or a moderator to have your account deleted to free up bandwidth.

Oct 28 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

UdoR wrote:

If you do all that fantastic work for those clients and Ford etc., why are you so desperate trying to find models on an internet site?

I mean, I shoot for agencies, I have a ton of clients, but I don't even expect or pursue Model Mayhems membership as a source of my income.

I have several working colleagues (fashion, runway, editorial, commercial and journalistic photographers) who are my friends,  who do exactly the same... just fun.

So, either you are the type of photographer you tell us you are, or you embellished your credentials in this thread, either to cover up, or as it was mentioned... trolling for your amusement.

Toodles

P.S.: If this is indeed your photo, it's VERY nice! And I believe that she is with Ford, because she also looks like someone who came to one of our castings for the Couture FW... actually, I may have taken her shot for our records, or I shot her on the runway:

I am not desperatly trying to find models here.  I contact some and vice versa.  Photography is a hobby for me but at times I have used it as a source of income.  Now that I have a job that pays more than any photographer makes I dont solicit work like I did before.  However, I am always intrugued by new models and occasionaly I take a project that interests me.  I dont work for Ford, I have shot two models that ended up getting signed by Ford and ONCE I was asked by them to work with one of the models AGAIN to enchance her portfolio.

Oct 28 06 10:07 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've been here for a year and I've done like 25-30 shoots...and I'm a full time student...and I spend every other weekend at home...pretty much anytime I've been available to shoot, I've been shooting. Maybe you're just doing something wrong. Who knows.

Oct 28 06 10:20 pm Link

Model

JB

UdoR wrote:

Toodles

Well done! Well done indeed. Now that's a reply worth noting. I have photographer friends, some here, who are of the same mindset. One of them laughed at me while telling me he wouldn't dare put his best work on Model Mayhem or...that other place

He went on to say that he did post a series he was working on a while ago, in black and white, then he started noticing a lot of black and white images on the hobbyists' portfolios. SOME of them exactly like his in composition.

So, why would Model Mayhem be your Primary source? That's my question as well then luv.

I can't see your pictures but I trust people who can. Five gorgeous images, but nothing flashy. Young Models (present company excluded please) are like crows. They are drawn to the shiny things. **bling!** Provided that is who you are searching for, if not, then maybe you are in the wrong place.

Your images do speak for themselves...if one knows what they are lookng at.

Oct 28 06 10:30 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I am not desperatly trying to find models here.  I contact some and vice versa.  Photography is a hobby for me but at times I have used it as a source of income.  Now that I have a job that pays more than any photographer makes I dont solicit work like I did before.  However, I am always intrugued by new models and occasionaly I take a project that interests me.  I dont work for Ford, I have shot two models that ended up getting signed by Ford and ONCE I was asked by them to work with one of the models AGAIN to enchance her portfolio.

LOL Kinetic.  You're funny!

Oct 28 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

LOL Kinetic.  You're funny!

thanks.....i think ?

Oct 29 06 12:29 am Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

I've shown up for every shoot I've had scheduled.. so no, I dont believe it is the site... I believe it has to do more with either communication or the person in general, not the site as a whole.

~Chantelle~

Oct 29 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

I have had good results with MM, OMP and even people contacting me from other sites I never posted before.... I think the other sites take the OMP postings and model calls and repost them on there own sites.

OMP has a better Model Call feature but I like MM for getting to know the model before hand via the forums..

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/061020/01/45386af2aae42.jpg

Oct 29 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

Perhaps models read your posts?

I dont have a g/f right now.  What I had in mind was some pictures and then maybe some hanky panky.  If interested please message me[...]

Oct 29 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I dont have a g/f right now.  What I had in mind was some pictures and then maybe some hanky panky.  If interested please message me[...]

Oh snap. So that's how it's done . . .

Oct 29 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

*looks down at watch* *looks at watch again*
Is he gone yet???

Oct 29 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Evans Photography

Houston, Alaska, US

gsvb wrote:
The Only way you are gonna get a Model to turn up GUARANTEED is by going to an Agency
Honestly...To use the internet as a source of talent either it be from a Model or a Photographer is not going to be fruitful for either Party

Trust me, I followed "gsvb" advice and has made all of the difference in the world!  Internet sites are not at all filled with people who do this for a living or filled with people who are professional.  Of course there are exceptions to this rule,,,,,but they are exceptions!

Oct 29 06 07:41 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

I have messaged about 35 models about doing a shoot.  10 have messaged me.  I have given my number to about 20 models.  Of those 20 models I have given my number too NONE have called.  If I give my number to 20 models on "other" sites I will get at least 10 calls and 3-4 would show up.  I posted a casting call and NO ONE responded.

maybe the port you show is different on the 'other sites' or the gals responding do not expect as much from a photographer
have you thought of that?

Oct 29 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

The Polaroid Guy

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

Honestly, MM takes time. When I tell people where I get my models (here) I also tell them not to expect anything right away. I been here 6 months or so, and I just now feel that I'm beginning to network appropriately. I know models' faces and names, and am making some good friends who like to shoot.

And I know that Ive grown ALOT since getting here.

Oct 29 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

Kevin Connery wrote:

Perhaps models read your posts?

Roger that. And:

My guess is you didnt even vote like the rest of the lame ass liberal cry babies here.  You like to open your mouth and spew like an asshole but you are afraid to vote and afraid to say who you voted for.  Typical:

Oct 29 06 11:11 pm Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Guess what Renee he is gone! I think someone gave him the boot. It is about time. I doubt he is who is claims to be. Heck, for all we know those images were stolen from another modeling site. They could have been his, and he was just lucky enough to shoot the models he did.  If anything I have a feeling he was a troll. Maybe a bored 19 year old kid. If he was a grown adult, I really feel sorry for him. I cannot see a grown adult posting such childish things, with such incomplete thoughs behind it.

As for his attacks, no need to worry. I must be beautiful enough to be able to model full time. I wouldn't be in this business, if I couldn't handle someone who does not like my look. For every person who hates my look, I work with five more people who love it. The typical model get rejected all the time. She has to have enough confidence to move on.

Oct 30 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

Samantha Grace wrote:
Guess what Renee he is gone! I think someone gave him the boot. It is about time. I doubt he is who is claims to be. Heck, for all we know those images were stolen from another modeling site. They could have been his, and he was just lucky enough to shoot the models he did.  If anything I have a feeling he was a troll. Maybe a bored 19 year old kid. If he was a grown adult, I really feel sorry for him. I cannot see a grown adult posting such childish things, with such incomplete thoughs behind it.

As for his attacks, no need to worry. I must be beautiful enough to be able to model full time. I wouldn't be in this business, if I couldn't handle someone who does not like my look. For every person who hates my look, I work with five more people who love it. The typical model get rejected all the time. She has to have enough confidence to move on.

Lol! Anybody crazy enough to pick a fight with you (and especially after you so sincerely tried to help him) needs to be doing other things....

Oct 30 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Damn! He's gone.............just when I thought we might find out which village he is residing in. Wanted to add him to the village idiot list.

Oct 30 06 10:22 am Link

Model

Pasha M

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am a new model, which is why I only have 5 pics in my port.  You only have five pics in ur port which makes me believe you are quite new also.

Though, I am happy to say I did just do two photoshoots with photographers from this site.  So, if you sell yourself correctly, this site will definately work for you.

So, how are you selling yourself?

Oct 30 06 10:27 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Renee Jacobs wrote:

Lol! Anybody crazy enough to pick a fight with you (and especially after you so sincerely tried to help him) needs to be doing other things....

I know seriously, I mean come on. I really wish we could have found the village as well. Most of MM was runny with torches into the mayhem night.
Talking about morons , Did you know on AIM I have a group named lost morons.

This is one of the times I would like to say, I wish the grass was emo... so it would cut itself. I find it funny at least.

Oct 30 06 11:30 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Of course I don't know much. . .but if 10 contacted you out of 35. . .that's something like every third one you contacted.  I think.  That's pretty good.  If you were doing mass mailings and sent out 100 flyers, 10% would respond. . .so by those standards you're ahead of the game.  smile
Be easy.  This place is a breeding ground for models that don't fit the mould.  If those 35 emails you sent were for stellar performers. . .they may not check their mail regularly b/c they're out working. 

I have messaged about 35 models about doing a shoot.  10 have messaged me.  I have given my number to about 20 models.  Of those 20 models I have given my number too NONE have called.  If I give my number to 20 models on "other" sites I will get at least 10 calls and 3-4 would show up.  I posted a casting call and NO ONE responded.

Oct 30 06 11:42 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Are you less of a jerk on the other sites?

Oct 30 06 11:53 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Rena wrote:
Don't blame the site itself when no one else seems to be having these problems.

She's pretty and smart.

Oct 30 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I dont work for Ford, I have shot two models that ended up getting signed by Ford and ONCE I was asked by them to work with one of the models AGAIN to enchance her portfolio.

Did you find her a good photographer to do it with?

Oct 30 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

thanks.....i think ?

You probably do, but you're not very good at it.

Oct 30 06 12:20 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Daniela V wrote:
She's pretty and smart.

lol Thanks doll! smile

Oct 30 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

darn, for someone that doesn't even like this site gotz more posts than I do...  sad

Oct 30 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Daniela V wrote:

Are you less of a jerk on the other sites?

Took the words right out of my mouth

Oct 30 06 12:41 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Seems the OP is not a member anymore.

Good.

Oct 30 06 12:46 pm Link