Forums > General Industry > MM Not For Modeling

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Okay, I was on MM for a year before and I got one model to show up.  I have now been here again for 2 months and not a single call.  Personally, I think there is something wrong with the people on this site.  All other sites I get models to show up everyday if I wanted.

Oct 27 06 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

The site seems to be working fine for me.

Oct 27 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Kinetic Photography wrote:
I was on MM for a year before and I got one model to show up. I have now been here again for 2 months and not a single call. Personally, I think there is something wrong with the people on this site. All other sites I get models to show up everyday if I wanted.

were you just thinking out loud? making some sort of rhetorical statement? i mean, it seems if the facts be as you state them, that your most logical *business* decision has been made ...

F

Oct 27 06 10:53 pm Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

The Only way you are gonna get a Model to turn up GUARANTEED is by going to an Agency
Honestly...To use the internet as a source of talent either it be from a Model or a Photographer is not going to be fruitful for either Party

Oct 27 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I've shot a dozen from here with few problems at all.  Examine yourself and how you're going about it.

-Don

Oct 27 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Personally, I think there is something wrong with the people on this site.

I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing the irony in the statement. Maybe you're coming into MM with a preconceptions based on your past negative experience. But as Dr. Phil says, "You gotta own this..."

Oct 27 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

Kelly Abbass

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

gsvb wrote:
The Only way you are gonna get a Model to turn up GUARANTEED is by going to an Agency
Honestly...To use the internet as a source of talent either it be from a Model or a Photographer is not going to be fruitful for either Party

I think sites like these were set up because everyone got tired of the agency scams.

Oct 27 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Uploading more pics and different models might help if you worked with so many from other sites smile

Oct 27 06 11:15 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Maybe you should contact some models instead of waiting for them?

Oct 27 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Works fine for me.

Oct 27 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Okay, I was on MM for a year before and I got one model to show up.  I have now been here again for 2 months and not a single call.  Personally, I think there is something wrong with the people on this site.  All other sites I get models to show up everyday if I wanted.

Well, a few suggestions (feel free to ignore them, but you did start a thread about this):

1) Switch your avatar to this image:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1344723
Your current one is fine, but that portrait is exceptional.

2) Fill your gallery! You have 15 unused image slots, and I'm sure you have work for them. It's hard to tell what to think of your abilities with only 5 images from 2 shoots there.

3) Reword your "About me" to sound more positive and mention your experience- how many years, what you've done, models from other sites you worked with (and maybe fix the spelling errors- some folks may notice that you misspelled 'photographer' and 'awesome').

So that's my suggestion. Right now your site gives the impression of a 20 year-old who's just done a couple of shoots. The work is fine, just better presentation might help models take you seriously.

Oct 27 06 11:26 pm Link

Model

Sara Danielle

Workin for me ;*)

Oct 27 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Kelly Abbass wrote:

I think sites like these were set up because everyone got tired of the agency scams.

you prefer photographer scams, and the abundance of modelbe's?

i think sites like this serve alternative markets reasonably well. For commercial and fashion, serious work will ever only take place via the agencies, cause frankly, my clients do not have the time to waste on modelbe's and do have the money to spend on pros.

deal with it

Oct 27 06 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

'got one to show up'... not a single call... you just sorta sittin around waiting for pungent fruit to fall from the sky? you actually have to make a marketing effort if you wish to use the site for more than amusement and comraderie.

Oct 27 06 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Don't let the door hit you in arse....

Oct 27 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Works well for me too.  I left the other model website quite awhile back.

Sounds like you've put up your 5 pics and are waiting for people to beat your door down.

Oct 27 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

I have messaged about 35 models about doing a shoot.  10 have messaged me.  I have given my number to about 20 models.  Of those 20 models I have given my number too NONE have called.  If I give my number to 20 models on "other" sites I will get at least 10 calls and 3-4 would show up.  I posted a casting call and NO ONE responded.

Oct 27 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Bussey

Andover, New Hampshire, US

been here two months and its working for me.

Oct 27 06 11:46 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Don't blame the site itself when no one else seems to be having these problems.

Oct 27 06 11:47 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Well, look at your plan.

What are you going after?  Are you reaching the right people?

Your statement is pretty broad so I would recommend you break it down into your plan and the crtitical path towards acting on that plan.

Are there flakes on MM?  Sure.  Photogs and models, alike.  Are there some amazingly talented people on MM?  Absolutely.

Look at what you want and how you are going about getting it and just adjust appropriately.

Oct 27 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Not my problem. The website has not been up for much longer than a year.  You are not giving it much time or effort.  It took me about a year of effort to start working with models from OMP which I've been a member of for over 5 years now.  Sounds like I've got patience, and you don't! 

Honestly, I don't mean to come off as an ass but OMP, MySpace and Model Mayhem have been great to me for networking!  Maybe you better look in the mirror and see what it is that you can change there?

Oct 28 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have messaged about 35 models about doing a shoot.  10 have messaged me.  I have given my number to about 20 models.  Of those 20 models I have given my number too NONE have called.  If I give my number to 20 models on "other" sites I will get at least 10 calls and 3-4 would show up.  I posted a casting call and NO ONE responded.

I have several models who email me at least once a month about wanting to shoot
but never call or follow through.  One calls at least once every two weeks but
again no follow through.  There are large numbers of models here who aren't serious.

Oct 28 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Do those other sites have forums?

Oct 28 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

What kinds of models are you trying to book here?

Oct 28 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

have messaged about 35 models about doing a shoot. 10 have messaged me. I have given my number to about 20 models. Of those 20 models I have given my number too NONE have called

Kinetic, you currently have five images up on your MM port; could the models be waiting for a further demonstration of your work? or have you provided them other looks at your portfolio? Prospective client might be wanting to know what can be expected; just wondering ...

F

Oct 28 06 12:21 am Link

Model

gsvb

New York, New York, US

Kelly Abbass wrote:

Agency Scams ??

Any top Bonafide Agent is not a scam Artist, they have no need to be, the Talent makes them enough money, and in turn they make the Talent money.

Dont be fooled by the ignorant comments you see on the Internet.

Oct 28 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

uh--maybe it's you--this isn't "the Pit," but if it was "the Pit" I would say that you come across as a real fucktard.

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
What kinds of models are you trying to book here?

Oct 28 06 01:18 am Link

Photographer

S_D

San Diego, California, US

Ive been lucky soo far. Im digging this site and all of the crap it has too offer too.

Oct 28 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Working ok for me, Put a last min casting call out here on MM and within 2 days had more models than I needed, had to turn some away.  Check your port, compare it with others. What do you see?

Oct 28 06 01:28 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

LMAO.

What about this situation: Model starts thread, "What is up with modeling agencies? I have gone to 35 open calls, given my number to designers, have been told by 10 people on the street that I should be a model. I put an ad on craigslist that I was a model and NOT ONE AGENCY has called me."

Yeah. That's how you sound.

Oct 28 06 01:31 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

K. Holden wrote:

LMAO.

What about this situation: Model starts thread, "What is up with modeling agencies? I have gone to 35 open calls, given my number to designers, have been told by 10 people on the street that I should be a model. I put an ad on craigslist that I was a model and NOT ONE AGENCY has called me."

Yeah. That's how you sound.

I believe that's a BOO-YA for you.

Oct 28 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

I've shot with 2 models a month after joining, and have about 5 who want to do some TFCD work as soon as I'm through with exams.  Seems to be working well over here

Oct 28 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

I believe that's a BOO-YA for you.

https://www.headinjurytheater.com/cyborg.jpg

Oct 28 06 01:37 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I like MM models...you sit there with 5 images in your portfolio they'll all flee...I got one today too so no bossing here...

Oct 28 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Rena wrote:
Don't blame the site itself when no one else seems to be having these problems.

He's not alone. Some of us just keep trying instead of complaining.
Mike

Oct 28 06 01:42 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

Honestly, I am not trying to be mean. But you might take this the wrong way more then likely.

Looking at this from a models point of view. I would only work with you if you offered to pay me. Based on what I see on your port, I wouldn't get the kind of images I would need, or could use. I am not putting your work down. Everyone needs room for improvement always. If we weren't improving we wouldn't go forward. If you are looking to shoot TFP/ TFCD look for newbie models. Ones who aren't established who also need to work on their ports as well. But most models who have a good basic port, also want to get something out of spending 4-5 hours shooting.

The amount of images you have is hurting you, as well. Models want to work with people who have a built up port.

Also, reword the About Me section. That is hurting you as well.

Also, I would not be so negative. This site works well for a lot people. You cannot sit and wait for people to come to you either. You need to send emails. This past week I have sent about 100 emails regarding my trips. I only recieved 20 replies. But I got the bookings I needed. If you want to find work, you have to work hard.

I know I work just as hard contacting people on other sites as well.

Life doesn't just happen, you need action to make it happen.

Oct 28 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I guess it is your port

or your posts on the forums

or your port

or the way you approach models

or your port

or the fact that you are shooting all the time and have pretty much no port

your port isn't bad, I guess, but it is non-existant.

Oct 28 06 01:49 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You might want to consider looking at your portfolio and finding the contradictions.  I see one glaring one.

In the text, you proclaim that you like to work with new models and help them build their portfolios.  Ok, sounds good. 

Your own portfolio consists of five images.

To ANY model who flips through several portfolios, that is going to suggest to them that you shoot about once every three months.  It seems the person who needs the most help with the portfolio building is yourself.

Look at what other photographers are doing to build their own ports and attract models to work with.  You can't just post a small handful of images and expect people to come busting down your door. 

You mention the other sites and how you could have a model showing up every day.

Really?  Which magical sites are these?

Oct 28 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Avicdar wrote:
Really?  Which magical sites are these?

damn it

I knew I should have put a casting call at Hogwarts School of Modeling

Oct 28 06 02:03 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva