Forums > General Industry > Not this s**t again!

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Here's another blurb from a model's port that will prbably "slightly annoy some photographers:

"If you are one of the few artists/photographers that I find consistantly produces works of high level creativity and quality, then I would possibly be willing to do a TFP."

Kind of insulting, wouldn't you say?

Oct 14 06 06:27 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

As only one other person suggested (I could be wrong, this thread is long...) it would likely be far better to constructively offer her advice on how to reword her profile so that it more accurately conveys her reluctence to work with photographers that have less than reasonable motivations.

It might help to inform her kindly that many studios in homes are custom built. I've shot in two homes, one with a custom built 9 foot ceiling in the basement for photography (including a dark room) and another with custom built 12 foot ceilings for photography. Beyond that, I've gotten fantastic shots in hotel rooms. I dare say it would be difficult to tell which shots from my port were done in a hotel room.

When someone is learning they can't make mistakes. It can't be a mistake if they didn't have the knowledge before hand. If someone has learned something and then makes a mistake, then yes, it is a mistake. Obviously this model falls into the previous category, and it would be kind for someone to gentley help her understand how to weed out the not so nice photographers.

Frankly, I get just as annoyed when a photographer informs me that my images to date do not do me justice and that he alone can change that. Opinions are only that... opinions.

Oct 14 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Image K wrote:
I just saw a phrase in a very new and very inexperienced model's bio:

If you are a photographer that i want to work with then i will do TFCD or TFP.
AND I MEAN REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS< NOT DIGITAL CAMERAS AND SET UPS IN YOUR HOUSE!! NO NO NO!!

I use a digital camera (like most of us do).

I have a great setup at my home, with Visatec lighting, props, backgrounds, etc.

Am I the only photographer that's slightly offended here?

Sounds like someone who doesn't know what the hell that they are talking about but assume because she goes by hear say. That's dumb, will never get you anywhere and means that the model can be easliy influence by other opinions.

Shit, I shoot both formats and shoot two different camera formats. 4x5. But my primary choice is 35mm digital.

Oct 14 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

I took my main profile picture in my living room.  I've never rented a studio before, they are too expensive.

Oct 14 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

shot in my dinning room window lighting backdrop held up by curtain rods on windows on each side of of model (Mayhem #207808) shot on Friday the wife was a bit unhappy i messed up the house lol smile

https://newton-i.usefilm.com/images/4/6/8/0/4680/1198215-large.jpg

Oct 14 06 10:36 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

tgimaging wrote:
I didn't know there were so many overly-sensitive people on MM.  LOL

Remember when you first started out, and didn't quite have it all figured out yet?

Cut the newbie a little slack you whiny babies.

Exactly, besides, did you think, that perhaps she had a bad experience with a GWC?  And that gave her the reason to doubt?

Oct 14 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Madcitychel wrote:

Exactly, besides, did you think, that perhaps she had a bad experience with a GWC?  And that gave her the reason to doubt?

I don't think that anyone is overly sensitive here. I actually was slightly annoyed, as I have already stated.

She may have had a bad experience. Haven't we all?

It should (and actually was) re-worded so as not to sound too negative.

Oct 15 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

I usually shoot film, and I usually work on location.  So I'm not offended.

And to continue my usual rebellious streak... what are her objectives?  If she wants to be an internet model, she's going to be shooting in home studios.  But if she's 5"10" and wants to do fashion or commercial, then maybe an emphasis on full-time pro photographers with their own studios might not be entirely out of place?

Oct 15 06 01:03 am Link

Model

Krisha

New York, New York, US

is she nuts? god forbid a photographer invested money in their own equipment and get to shoot at home, avoiding renting studio space!

Oct 15 06 01:05 am Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

Image K wrote:
I just saw a phrase in a very new and very inexperienced model's bio:

If you are a photographer that i want to work with then i will do TFCD or TFP.
AND I MEAN REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS< NOT DIGITAL CAMERAS AND SET UPS IN YOUR HOUSE!! NO NO NO!!

I use a digital camera (like most of us do).

I have a great setup at my home, with Visatec lighting, props, backgrounds, etc.

Am I the only photographer that's slightly offended here?

I think you answered it in your first sentence - she's OBVIOUSLY not experienced and very new to modeling....  As a model, in some ways, I'd prefer to shoot in a photog's home studio as if he/she were a GWC, he'd probably avoid a home studio shoot (as the model knows where he lives).  Your reputation would be on the line more than ever.

Oct 15 06 01:58 am Link

Model

MoDeLkA

Fair Oaks, California, US

thats kind of funny...so real photographers don't use digital cameras or what?

Oct 15 06 02:02 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

That's a shame. Some of my absolute favourite photographers work out of their homes. She is dismissing a lot of valuable work offers with this claim. I beleve she's said it to try and dissuade the GWC's but perhaps someone should clue her in to the pros that will be put off by this statement. She probably just doesn't know any better.

Oct 15 06 02:41 am Link