Forums > General Industry > Not this s**t again!

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just saw a phrase in a very new and very inexperienced model's bio:

If you are a photographer that i want to work with then i will do TFCD or TFP.
AND I MEAN REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS< NOT DIGITAL CAMERAS AND SET UPS IN YOUR HOUSE!! NO NO NO!!

I use a digital camera (like most of us do).

I have a great setup at my home, with Visatec lighting, props, backgrounds, etc.

Am I the only photographer that's slightly offended here?

Oct 14 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

I'm with you....I'm offended as well.

(she wont get much work)

Oct 14 06 01:06 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

That just speaks of a total lack of experience in modeling. Am I right about that? Some of my favorite photographers shoot out of their homes!

Oct 14 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Whatever... I think she'll discover that finding modeling gigs may be rather difficult, though.

Just sayin'...

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

All of my shoots except one were in a home made studio setting. All the photographers were great. They had all professional equip etc... I do not know what she is talking about! Plus studios are very expensive

*sandra

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Trenton, North Carolina, US

It's totally understandable. She only wants Vogue and Rolling Stone photographers, and people who can make her famous without any effort on her part.

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

I totally agree - everyone uses digital now.  Plenty of good home studios.

- g

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Guess that means she doesn't consider me good enough to work with. Too bad!  But maybe she's just a naive, inexperienced young model reacting to what she has read on this forum?

Oct 14 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Image K wrote:
Am I the only photographer that's slightly offended here?

offend back.  don't work with that person.

but a question comes to mind.  why are you worried about them instead of worrying about you?

--face reality

Oct 14 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Dice Digital Imaging

Brea, California, US

I also shoot out of a studio that I set up in my garage and both of my cameras are digital.  Very unfair and uninformed statement.

Oct 14 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Haha, and no digital cameras... I guess anyone shooting with one of these must not meet her standards:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W … .1.9.0.0.1

Model

Pryclss

Sunset Valley, Texas, US

You should be offended and that's coming from a model. I know a few photographers who have home studios and their work is wonderful! It's just more cost efficient for most photographers, I assume, and that way you don't have the problem of ever forgetting that favorite lens or other materials you love to use at shoots at home. Don't worry about her, she's probably one of those new models that charges $200 an hour and can't even pose.

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

I didn't know there were so many overly-sensitive people on MM.  LOL

Remember when you first started out, and didn't quite have it all figured out yet?

Cut the newbie a little slack you whiny babies.

Oct 14 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Maybe you are the overly sensitive one if this thread offended you lol

Oct 14 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I'm not offended.  I think of it as her doing me a favor.  I know who to avoid w/o wasting time exchanging e-mails or checking references.

You should be thankful for her honesty.

Oct 14 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pryclss wrote:
You should be offended and that's coming from a model. I know a few photographers who have home studios and their work is wonderful! It's just more cost efficient for most photographers, I assume, and that way you don't have the problem of ever forgetting that favorite lens or other materials you love to use at shoots at home. Don't worry about her, she's probably one of those new models that charges $200 an hour and can't even pose.

I have to admit that she's very attractive, but...

You should see the shots on her port! They are sub-standard to say the least. Does this mean that she's not a real model?

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Israel wrote:
Maybe you are the overly sensitive one if this thread offended you lol

Then again, maybe I'm being reasonable and balanced.

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

You know what she means.

Or maybe you don't, since you posted this. She means point-and-shoot camera with crap lights you buy at Home Depot. She probably has no idea that good shots can be made in a home studio. I have several in my portfolio that were taken in photographers' residences - and I'm quite sure that no one could guess them all correctly.

Oct 14 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

tgimaging wrote:

Then again, maybe I'm being reasonable and balanced.

Oh, I should have realized that calling people "whiny babies" was reasonable and balanced....

Oct 14 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FaceReality wrote:

offend back.  don't work with that person.

but a question comes to mind.  why are you worried about them instead of worrying about you?

--face reality

Your point is well taken, Mr. Reality.

Oct 14 06 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Israel wrote:

Oh, I should have realized that calling people "whiny babies" was reasonable and balanced....

Well, it applies if you get offended by some incorrect comments from a new member. Lighten up. LOL

Oct 14 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

tgimaging wrote:

Well, it applies if you get offended by some incorrect comments from a new member. Lighten up. LOL

I didn't get offended by the new members comments, I got offended when you started name calling.

Oct 14 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

e-string wrote:
You know what she means.

Or maybe you don't, since you posted this. She means point-and-shoot camera with crap lights you buy at Home Depot. She probably has no idea that good shots can be made in a home studio. I have several in my portfolio that were taken in photographers' residences - and I'm quite sure that no one could guess them all correctly.

Actually, I doknow what she means.

If she doesn't want to shoot with "crappy lights and a point-and-shoot" than she should have said that.

But that's not what she said.

Oct 14 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jarco Photography

Midwest City, Oklahoma, US

Image K wrote:

You should see the shots on her port! They are sub-standard to say the least. Does this mean that she's not a real model?

I sent her a message and she told me her stuff was lost in a tornado(she does live in oklahoma...) and she was going to put it up soon enough.  Yeh it kinad rubbed me the wrong way when I read it.

Oct 14 06 01:20 pm Link

Model

Pryclss

Sunset Valley, Texas, US

tgimaging wrote:
I didn't know there were so many overly-sensitive people on MM.  LOL

Remember when you first started out, and didn't quite have it all figured out yet?

Cut the newbie a little slack you whiny babies.

LOL, okay, okay, you got us. But there's a difference between being a little naive and thinking you know what to expect and perhaps being a little too confident with no prove to back that up. Granted, you never really know what to expect until it happens, but at the same time it's safer and SMARTER to sit back and learn. We must crawl before we walk, young grasshopper! ;-)

Photographer

Primox Studios

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Image K wrote:
I just saw a phrase in a very new and very inexperienced model's bio:

I don't feel offended coming from her. I just think that she is, like the OP said, very new and very inexperienced ...

Let her go around a little bit and let reality slap her right in the face... remember we were all (or most of us) new to the business one day and very naive about lots of things...

Maybe she thinks she can go straight from no experience, to Gisele Bundchen in a couple of days....

I'd like to see that wink

Luis

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Israel wrote:

I didn't get offended by the new members comments, I got offended when you started name calling.

Does it apply to you? Are you whining about some small thing? If you are offended by what I said, apologies. I didn't know you were overly-sensitive.

So lighten up!

Oct 14 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

tgimaging wrote:

When I say "offended', I'm not on the verge of therapy over it.

I'll re-phrase.

Would "slightly annoyed" make you feel better?

Oct 14 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

tgimaging wrote:

Does it apply to you? Are you whining about some small thing? If you are offended by what I said, apologies. I didn't know you were overly-sensitive.

So lighten up!

LOL, this is dumb and getting nowhere! Lets drop it.

Oct 14 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Image K wrote:

Actually, I doknow what she means.

If she doesn't want to shoot with "crappy lights and a point-and-shoot" than she should have said that.

But that's not what she said.

She's new. She doesn't KNOW the differences in terminology.

Oct 14 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ted Mebane

Washington, District of Columbia, US

What city is this model in?  I know better than to ask for her name.

Oct 14 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Obviously an ignorant statement. Don't degrade yourself by feeling offended by it.

-CLT, home studio/digital camera user

Oct 14 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Pryclss

Sunset Valley, Texas, US

Image K wrote:

Nah, not really. She's just new and probably hasn't had the opportunity to photographers that can bring out her model qualities. Every photographer has their own little something, but of course you know that. Sadly though, her bio may keep those very photographers she needs from ever contacting or working with her. I agree though, she'll learn and then she'll get better!

Oct 14 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

grphx wrote:

I sent her a message and she told me her stuff was lost in a tornado(she does live in oklahoma...) and she was going to put it up soon enough.  Yeh it kinad rubbed me the wrong way when I read it.

I guess you figured out who the person is.

Nothing against Oklahoma- a beautiful state.

Maybe she is a little spoiled.

Oct 14 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Israel wrote:

LOL, this is dumb and getting nowhere! Lets drop it.

Very wise!! It really wasn't worthy of  starting a thread over in the first place.

Oct 14 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pryclss wrote:

Nah, not really. She's just new and probably hasn't had the opportunity to photographers that can bring out her model qualities. Every photographer has their own little something, but of course you know that. Sadly though, her bio may keep those very photographers she needs from ever contacting or working with her. I agree though, she'll learn and then she'll get better!

I agree. It may scare the good photographers away.

Oct 14 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

tgimaging wrote:

Very wise!! It really wasn't worthy of  starting a thread over in the first place.

Then feel free to hop off the thread boys!

Good day!

Oct 14 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Cosgray

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Whas she even worth worrying about?

Oct 14 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brian Cosgray wrote:
Whas she even worth worrying about?

Not worrying necessarily.

Just slightly annoyed at the phrasing.

Oct 14 06 01:31 pm Link

Model

Pryclss

Sunset Valley, Texas, US

Ted Mebane wrote:
What city is this model in?  I know better than to ask for her name.

Damn good question. I feel pretty lucky to be in Texas, I'm surrounded by great photographers: DBrown, Greg Daniels, Tallensharp, Tal Campbell, Gean, fodochow, Lithium Picnic, etc. But for models in small cities/towns, they have to travel to get this kind of talent and that of course takes money alot of new models may not have...

Oct 14 06 01:33 pm Link