Forums > General Industry > America's Next Top Model

Model

FarahARABE

New York, New York, US

I love ANTM I watch it religiously. However, I wonder... Is ANTM changing the industry? I noticed industry standard for high fashion modeling is about 5'9" minimum, however the height requirement for ANTM is only 5'7"... Also another thing, how come Eva Pigford is the only ANTM winner who has really been in the limelight? What happened to the others? The first season's winner is practically a no-name... I LOVED Yohanna (is that how you spell it?)... but she hosts a show on E! and I didn't really see much of her either. How about the new winner Naima? Any input?

Aug 13 05 05:19 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Actually, although industry standard for runway is five nine and above, print and commercial can be five seven and above.

Aug 13 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

No the show isn't changing the industry. it's a doorway for girls into the industry. Once there, they have to compete with the girls already there. Clients have to love them in order for them to suceed. Thatis what happened to the winners. They just won a game show. They did win and become a top model. Remember, top models are world wide, not american based and Kate Moss and a few others are only 5'6 so go figure. A model has to perform on both film and runway and get top bookings in order to becoming a supermodel.

Aug 13 05 06:16 pm Link

Model

FarahARABE

New York, New York, US

Good point.

Aug 13 05 11:26 pm Link

Model

Alexis Julianne

Los Angeles, California, US

that show is crap. i cant believe tyra is going to have a talk show. boooooo!!

Aug 13 05 11:29 pm Link

Model

FarahARABE

New York, New York, US

Alexis Julianne wrote:
that show is crap. i cant believe tyra is going to have a talk show. boooooo!!

LOL Yeah Tyra does have a new show! The Tyra Banks Show! How original. I like Tyra though, more so than Janice < --- too much plastic surgery!

Aug 13 05 11:32 pm Link

Model

Alexis Julianne

oh yeah, janice is gross. She used to be good friends with GIA, so i read. Sometimes I wonder, if she were still alive would she be as disgusting as janice? Have u been watching the new surreal life with her??

Aug 13 05 11:39 pm Link

Model

FarahARABE

New York, New York, US

Alexis Julianne wrote:
oh yeah, janice is gross. She used to be good friends with GIA, so i read. Sometimes I wonder, if she were still alive would she be as disgusting as janice? Have u been watching the new surreal life with her??

Gia was the SHZNIT! Yeah I caught a couple episodes... she is a meanie!

Aug 13 05 11:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

heres what Janice thinks about ANTM  http://www.radaronline.com/web-only/sho … xmodel.php

she says what I have been saying all along...these girls dont have a chance in the real world.  Once their year of reign and contract is over, they're done.  The only one on the show that I ever thought had a chance at really being a top model was the very first winner (sorry forgot her name)  and her chances were not all that great because she had just lost a bunch of weight before the show (thats hard to maintain over a year)

Aug 14 05 01:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Mary, Adrienne (sp?) is from the first year, but you're thinking of Yohanna from the second season.

Aug 14 05 01:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

yep, you're right Emelle

Aug 14 05 01:27 am Link

Model

Kharizma

Concord, California, US

Toccara is getting a ton of press..She is all over jessica simpson new plus jeans..now that is just funny. Jessica simpson creates a line of plus llama jeans. She is not plus, but i think that is so awesome..

Anyways, Toccara and Eva seem to be the only ones i hear of. I am sure the last years winner will be in the news when the new season comes on.

Aug 14 05 01:31 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

I thought shandi was somethin great...But i do like eva she had that confident attitude...toccara was to "hood" for high fashion....

Aug 14 05 01:33 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Elyse Sewell, who was third place in the first season (and who said she'd go back to medical school if she didn't win) is a fairly successful commercial model currently based in Hong Kong. She's the only one of the ones I've seen who I thought would *make* a good commercial/editorial fashion model. (I've seen the first season and the last one.)

You can read about her Adventures In Modeling in her LiveJournal:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/elysesewell/

And no, ANTM is not changing the industry. At most, some changes which reflect the times are occurring in the industry just as ANTM is enjoing its 15 minutes of fame. But I really don't even see that many changes.

M

Aug 15 05 09:12 am Link

Model

i love watching the show for the shoots - lingerie ad in paris, underwater, snakes, not to mention some awesome make up artists... looks like so much fun! if i had tivo, i'd skip everything but the shoots wink

But having been on reality TV, I can tell you it's anything but reality, you have to read scripts, perform certain actions, etc. - or literally you're not allowed to leave, use the bathroom, eat, etc. I'm sure there are at least some girls who are not as they appear (due to director, editing, etc.)

Aug 15 05 03:32 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

I think the show has some good pointers but, some if it is SOO unrealistic. Like once they had models DESIGN a bottle and write CAMPAIGN for a perfume . Now in the real world...they wouldn't have to design or campaign poop..just look pretty with prouduct.

I think Janice is very honest which is good . I also think some of the runner-ups do better than winner!

I think Eva is just stunning!

Aug 15 05 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Change the industry???   HA!

Aug 15 05 07:49 pm Link

Model

FarahARABE

New York, New York, US

Naomi Jay wrote:
I think the show has some good pointers but, some if it is SOO unrealistic. Like once they had models DESIGN a bottle and write CAMPAIGN for a perfume . Now in the real world...they wouldn't have to design or campaign poop..just look pretty with prouduct.

I think Janice is very honest which is good . I also think some of the runner-ups do better than winner!

True! I saw that episode.

Aug 15 05 08:22 pm Link

Model

veester

Portland, Oregon, US

Mary wrote:
heres what Janice thinks about ANTM  http://www.radaronline.com/web-only/sho … xmodel.php

she says what I have been saying all along...these girls dont have a chance in the real world.  Once their year of reign and contract is over, they're done.  The only one on the show that I ever thought had a chance at really being a top model was the very first winner (sorry forgot her name)  and her chances were not all that great because she had just lost a bunch of weight before the show (thats hard to maintain over a year)

Damn! Janice ripped that show to threads! Yikes..lol. Yeah, I don't believe ANTM holds as much clout as people think it does. Pretty much just 15 minutes of fame. But I'm sure for the winners it is a VERY nice 15 minutes! tongue

Aug 15 05 08:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Victoria Fedosoff

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I love ANTM too! The show may not be all that realistic but come on, it's entertainment! My favourite part of the show is the photoshoots, they have the greatest ideas and the makeup is simply gorgeous.  I find the judging isn't fair, infact they critisize all the girls pictures and say they're horrible poses etc... yet they're the ones who choose them.  I think they need to do a better job at that (it is the photographers responsibility too).  I think it is also better to lose and be the runner up.  Then you're not put out there as the winner, it's like American Idol.  You have that label & always will. If you're the runner up, you can get into an agency most likely no problem and will have a great book.  And, I also agree, Adrienne was the best!

Aug 15 05 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

Delete This

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

As long as you can separate reality from entertainment, these types of shows, very popular amongst those who watch broadcast television, do little harm.  However, if you start to believe that any of these people are actually succeeding as a result of appearing on an entertainment program, created solely for ratings, you then fall victim to the trap. 

There are no winners, no contest, and no large, money-making contracts.  All of the players are actors playing a role.  Nothing more.  It's staged entertainment.  Very similar to the "Survivor" nonsense.

Aug 15 05 09:56 pm Link

Model

FarahARABE

New York, New York, US

IndianaGlamour wrote:
As long as you can separate reality from entertainment, these types of shows, very popular amongst those who watch broadcast television, do little harm.  However, if you start to believe that any of these people are actually succeeding as a result of appearing on an entertainment program, created solely for ratings, you then fall victim to the trap. 

True. It IS about ratings...

There are no winners, no contest, and no large, money-making contracts.  All of the players are actors playing a role.  Nothing more.  It's staged entertainment.  Very similar to the "Survivor" nonsense.

Don't they win a big Ford contract though?

Aug 16 05 05:26 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

The only thing ANTM does is encourage lack of thought, lack of work ethic, and lack of honesty. A horrid thing since one needs all of these skill if eeking out a career in entertainment and media is desired.

Aug 16 05 05:36 pm Link

Model

CML

Richmond, Virginia, US

welp.  i was honestly thinking about trying out for the show.  Maybe I wont now.    I would think that even if you dont make it to the top, atleast the show gives great exposure, and if you make it to the top two, you get an awesome portfolio. And how cool would it be to not only get the exposure, but the experience and the contacts?
Just my thoughts.

Aug 16 05 09:22 pm Link

Model

FarahARABE

New York, New York, US

Chanti wrote:
welp.  i was honestly thinking about trying out for the show.  Maybe I wont now.    I would think that even if you dont make it to the top, atleast the show gives great exposure, and if you make it to the top two, you get an awesome portfolio. And how cool would it be to not only get the exposure, but the experience and the contacts?
Just my thoughts.

Ur right, u would get a great port and exposure! But I can see how maybe being runner-up might be better, so you don't have that stigma...

Aug 16 05 09:28 pm Link

Model

Bree Slevin

Minooka, Illinois, US

I wanted to do this so bad...Call me a dork.. I really don't care.. but I am only 5'5.. sad so not fair

Aug 16 05 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Naomi Jay wrote:

Although it's true they wouldn't be asked to create the ad, they could be told to give it life which would require the same type of creative thinking on the models part. It's alot harded then just sit there and be pretty smile

Aug 17 05 09:51 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

I loved Brittany from the last season!  She was simply amazing! Plus her personality was just so enjoyable.  I hope she is getting a lot of work as a model.

I think Eva was beautiful too, but I never forgot about her attitude in the very beginning of the show (when she was being a complete biyotch to that super skinny girl) and I always wondered if she really had an enlightenment and changed her ways or if she was just acting different because she knew it would have cost her the show.

Aug 17 05 01:06 pm Link

Model

SithVixen

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

The only good thing about that show for those girls is the exposure.

Personally I think there are hundreds of girls on OMP and MM who may be shorter or have less exposure who could do just as good if not a better job. 

Every time I watched that show I cringed at how unprofessional and DIVA like 90% of the girls were.   The judging was ridiculous at times too. 

I think they deliberately didn't get rid of certain people or were harsh on good people because it keeps ratings up.

Aug 17 05 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

SithVixen wrote:
Every time I watched that show I cringed at how unprofessional and DIVA like 90% of the girls were.   The judging was ridiculous at times too. 

I think they deliberately didn't get rid of certain people or were harsh on good people because it keeps ratings up.

Well they were girls that entered a contest. Knowledge for the biz wasn't a requirement and ratings is key so it's pretty much what you said but after all, what else could it really be - hehe

Aug 17 05 03:55 pm Link

Model

Mystic Princess

Atascadero, California, US

I think a Top Model can be any height and shape. They should do the show for any height so that people that are under 5'7" can try to be America's Next Top Model.

Aug 19 05 12:39 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Darrelle wrote:
I think a Top Model can be any height and shape. They should do the show for any height so that people that are under 5'7" can try to be America's Next Top Model.

Im pretty sure that sounds like the greatest fucking idea ever.Then again, i am biased, standing tall at 5'0.

Aug 19 05 01:03 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Darrelle wrote:

but people under 5'7 Can be america's next top model, just not when it comes to runway....

Aug 19 05 01:06 am Link

Model

SaraElisabeth

New York, New York, US

i dont watch things on the big, glowing mind control box.
is this show *actually* worth tuning in for??

Aug 19 05 03:36 am Link

Model

missavogue

Houston, Texas, US

I love that show. I've seen most of the episodes from every season. ... It does seem fake sometimes, but I still watch it...

I don't know, though... I haven't heard much about any of them. ... I was watching "The Cut" the other day (Another show I'm guilty of watching religiously...) and they were doing a photo shoot and had to find models, so they went to Ford Models and one of them chose Yaya (The runner up from whichever season Eva was on ... I can never remember which season is which... Season 3, I think...). I also saw Naima as a judge for the Miss Teen USA pageant, and I've seen Adrinne (if that's how you spell her name...) a few times, but other than that, I haven't really seen anyone else that I can think of.

Aug 19 05 06:31 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Darrelle wrote:

I think that's it's perfectly reasonable, if a model is extremely happy with the free pictures that I give her, for her to offer to sleep with me as sort of a really, really sincere "Thank you."

Unfortunately for me, about as many models think the same way I do as people in the "real" fashion/modeling/photography industry think the same way you do. Frankly, I think I've got a better chance of convincing people I'm right than you do. Which is saying something.

M

Aug 19 05 09:07 am Link

Model

Jaedyn

York, England, United Kingdom

I watch ANTM religiously over here in England, and love it. Though I havent seen anything of Naima since the show, and she's beautiful! I thought her face would be everywhere. Like on the Covergirl site, Eva is featured on it but no Naima! sad

I also think that the judging is quite unfair, beautiful people got kicked out for minor things when they had loads of potential!

Has the new season already started over there??

Aug 19 05 02:20 pm Link

Model

superstark

i love ANTM!! i thought naima was sooooo beautiful i knew she was going to win from the start! lol brittany girl is soooo loud! it is very unrealistic though sad very entertaining

Aug 19 05 08:22 pm Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

When does the season start again?

Aug 19 05 08:27 pm Link

Model

superstark

hmm not sure....

Aug 19 05 08:36 pm Link