Forums > General Industry > America's Next Top Model

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

late Sept.  The new models are up on the UPN site right now. 

My picks just by the first photo (this may change)

Kyle
NIK
Sarah

I'm dissapointed in the heights this year, was hoping for more fashion types.  Over all the models are better then the previous episodes (IMO)   Twiggy it appears has taken Janices place...I assume because Janice upstaged Tyra and Tyra likes the limelight...Twiggy will I assume let Tyra be the star.  I still dont see anything that resembles a top model but oh-well, it's just reality TV.

Aug 19 05 09:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

bump

Aug 19 05 10:00 pm Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks Mary- sad  Janice was my favorite.
  I just love the show for the advice, and the shoot/makeup inspirations.  smile

-Dana

Aug 19 05 10:10 pm Link

Model

missavogue

Houston, Texas, US

Alright, so I'm going to put my opinions here hah...

Ashley ~ I like her look, but her personality is kind of ... I don't know... It seems like she's trying to be a lot better than she is... I don't know... She seems kind of... fake.

Bre ~ I think she's too cute to be a top model. She's a LOT like me personality wise. ... And cleanliness wise haha... But yeah I think I like her just because we're so much alike (plus, I'm too cute to be a top model, too haha)

Cassandra ~ I love her. ... Her shoulders are a little stiff when she walks, but I really like her. (maybe I'm just partial to her because she's from Houston, though... Haha...)

Coryn ~ I don't like her. ... She's boring, and I don't think she's that pretty. ... Totally just my opinion, though.

Diane ~ Her look is ok. I like her accent. ... But her personality kinda gets annoying ...

Ebony ~ I don't like her nose hah ... It's unique, but I don't like it. ... Her personality is kind of ... jumpy haha... if that makes sense... she just kinda annoys me ...

Jayla ~ OMG THAT WALK!!! Looks like she's going to kill someone haha ... But I do like her personality ... and when she's talking about herself, she seems a lot like most of my friends which is kind of scary hahahaha ... but I love how she changes her appearance. .. It's a lot like me. smile

Kim ~ I don't like her. ... I think she looks like a boy. I don't really like her personality. ... It's like she's trying to be better than everyone else because she's smart.

Kyle ~ I think she's gorgeous. ... I like her personality. It's a LITTLE fake, but not too bad. ... I love her body, though.

Lisa ~ I think she's really pretty and she cracked me up at the end, but maybe a little too... I don't know... over the top. ... She moves around a lot when she talks, too hah...

Nicole ~ She's pretty, but again, too cute for a top model. ... I like her personality, but maybe it's a little too concieted. ...

Nik ~ I like her a lot. ... I think she's gorgeous. ... Very unique looking. ... Her head moves a little too much on her walk. ... But other than that, I like her. ... And plus her favorite foods are Gumbo and Cheese which are 2 of my favorite foods haha

Sarah ~ I really like her. I think she's beautiful. I love her personality. ... She's great.

That's my take on what I've seen so far.

Aug 19 05 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jayson Harrington

Ormond Beach, Florida, US

Oct 06 05 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

Curse you, beisbol! Been very very bad to me!!

Nik, Bre, and the L.A. chick who won the farm shots are my personal favorites. The winner, I'll make a guess after I can find this week's airing.

Oct 06 05 05:08 pm Link

Model

Ariette

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

FarahARABE wrote:
I love ANTM I watch it religiously. However, I wonder... Is ANTM changing the industry? I noticed industry standard for high fashion modeling is about 5'9" minimum, however the height requirement for ANTM is only 5'7"... Also another thing, how come Eva Pigford is the only ANTM winner who has really been in the limelight? What happened to the others? The first season's winner is practically a no-name... I LOVED Yohanna (is that how you spell it?)... but she hosts a show on E! and I didn't really see much of her either. How about the new winner Naima? Any input?

Eva is actually 5'6 1/2.  She's a fashion model for FORD models, so is Naima and Yaya.  If you go to Fordmodels.com and click on Women, not the commercial women, but WOMEN, you'll find the girls there and their stats.  I was shocked to know that on Top Model they said that Eva wa 5'7.  I'm 5'7 1/2 but I dont think i'll ever say I'm 5'8, that half makes a difference.

Oct 06 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Star

is it just me, or do the new batch of girls look like drag queens in their photos?

Oct 06 05 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

I like the show because they worship photographers. Everything wrong in a photo is the model's fault. ^_^

Oct 06 05 11:01 pm Link

Model

Nai Indigo

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I haven't ever sat down and watched each season or episode, only because I don't have time. But I've seen many repeats on VHI.  AND I like Nik and Lisa from the new season.  I like the lesbian's looks, but I don't like her attitude.  I'm glad the beauty queen girl left- she sucked her attitude was SO outta control.  I like watching the chicks with bad attitudes-it's so dramatic, but I wouldn't want to live with them.  It may be unrealistic, yatta-yatta.. . so everyone says.  I say, I'm trying out.  AND I don't think anyone realistically expects all the winners to automatically be stars, but the purpose is to get them in the spotlight so they have a better opportunity.  Of course Tyra is going to praise her show, and say that she expects all the "Amer. Next Top Model" Winners to be "Top Models" -that's just marketing, (could you blame her) and if she said any different it would take away from the show's validity. 

I can't help but wonder if the "best" shots are really the "best" shots of the models.
And I also wonder if they manipulate which shots they chose, in order to eliminate certain models from the competition, who don't create the desired character-mix they need for ratings?

Oct 07 05 11:20 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Daniel Kwan wrote:
I like the show because they worship photographers. Everything wrong in a photo is the model's fault. ^_^

Hehehe. I like that attitude about that. Maybe I should tune in...except I think that some other show is on the same time I'd rather watch.....

Oct 07 05 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

shanai wrote:
I can't help but wonder if the "best" shots are really the "best" shots of the models.
And I also wonder if they manipulate which shots they chose, in order to eliminate certain models from the competition, who don't create the desired character-mix they need for ratings?

I bet they already know (or at least have a very good idea) from the very beginning who they'll put in the final rounds and who they're going to kick out.

Oct 07 05 02:22 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Shannon (the runner-up from season 1) is still listed with Heyman Talent in Cincy, Ohio.

Did anyone else just want to slap the crap out of Cassandra over the whole hair issue. Stupid quitter.

Oct 09 05 04:26 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Janice is coming back at least for one show.

Oct 09 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Aimercat wrote:
Did anyone else just want to slap the crap out of Cassandra over the whole hair issue. Stupid quitter.

Yes.  Very much so.  But if you can't deal with getting your hair cut, you have no business being a model, so good riddance.

But I do wonder if that eliminates an episode from this season.

Oct 10 05 12:14 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

So the pageant girl and the lippy got the boot? I've missed every show where they cut two people simultaneously. Pageant girl was an idiot for not making the best of things after they cut her hair. Now she's cut and walking around with a doo she doesn't like. I guess I'll have to read the recap for lippy getting cut. Probably, no skill but then they've have to cut them all.

Oct 10 05 12:50 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Yes.  Very much so.  But if you can't deal with getting your hair cut, you have no business being a model, so good riddance.

But I do wonder if that eliminates an episode from this season.

Oh but we're all going to see her as Miss America someday. LOL.

Oct 10 05 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Aimercat wrote:

Oh but we're all going to see her as Miss America someday. LOL.

Well, maybe Miss Bread and Butter Pickle at the Bread and Butter Pickle Festival in the Snook, Texas Pickle Festival...

Oct 10 05 04:45 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

megafunk wrote:
So the pageant girl and the lippy got the boot? I've missed every show where they cut two people simultaneously. Pageant girl was an idiot for not making the best of things after they cut her hair. Now she's cut and walking around with a doo she doesn't like. I guess I'll have to read the recap for lippy getting cut. Probably, no skill but then they've have to cut them all.

read the recap?  do you go to television without pity?  I love that site..

Julia

Oct 10 05 06:44 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Julia Gerace wrote:
read the recap?  do you go to television without pity?  I love that site..
Julia

Yeah, if I miss a show.

tvw/op wrote:
Bre interviews that it was long overdue that she won something. ["Yes, she had to wait all the way up to Episode 4. She's not exactly Penelope." -- Wing Chun]

Oct 10 05 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Janice Dickinson - model vs. photographer

So I was wondering what people thought of Janice as photographer.  (Photos here: http://www.upn.com/shows/top_model5/p_g … p=05&fd=01)

What stood out to me most is that she spent 4 years being the bitch, and after she left the show as a judge, she said that none of the models had what it took to be professional, but while she was shooting, all she was full of compliments and glowing praises for the models.  Somehow I doubt that if she were not the photographer, she would not have been so kind.

Any thoughts?

Oct 13 05 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

Everyone does realize that show IS basically fake right? It's reality based not reality. All "reality TV" is only lightly based on reality. They bring people in to make an entertaining show and use abstract pieces of reality to stirr things up. Playing voice clips over video that isn't really connected to what's going on.

The models get exposure, the producers paint what ever image they feel like. In the end the models are essentially starting from scratch since they don't get to use any of the content from the show.

Very few reality shows stick closely to reality. I've known a few people who were on these shows. The only reason the truth doesn't come out is because the "actors/actresses" are under contract not to share the full details while it's going on.

It's fine if it entertains you, just don't let it manipulate you...

Oct 13 05 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Champion wrote:
Everyone does realize that show IS basically fake right?

Yes.

Oct 13 05 02:11 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Champion wrote:
Everyone does realize that show IS basically fake right? It's reality based not reality. All "reality TV" is only lightly based on reality. They bring people in to make an entertaining show and use abstract pieces of reality to stirr things up. Playing voice clips over video that isn't really connected to what's going on.

The models get exposure, the producers paint what ever image they feel like. In the end the models are essentially starting from scratch since they don't get to use any of the content from the show.

Very few reality shows stick closely to reality. I've known a few people who were on these shows. The only reason the truth doesn't come out is because the "actors/actresses" are under contract not to share the full details while it's going on.

It's fine if it entertains you, just don't let it manipulate you...

are you saying they don't get to keep their pix from the shoots for their portfolios?

Oct 13 05 03:33 pm Link

Model

Gemini Model

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

hey, the height requirments is up tot he agent and location.
exp: elite in nyc wants 5'9
       elite in miami wants 5'7
also depend on what type of modelin gou do.

Oct 20 05 08:13 pm Link

Model

Ariette

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

maybe i should move to miami and go to elite there.  NY is so demanding sad

Oct 20 05 08:17 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Ugh, I finally saw an episode from this round.  Those girls are ALL going nowhere fast.  And they don't know their a$$ from their elbows.  Dumb and Dumber.
And yeah, obviously Janice is going to be full of compliments when she is the photographer.  How would you expect to get good shots if you are rude to the models? 
In addition, take notice of the fact that these girls are nothing special, to say the least.  Get them into hair and makeup and they shine.  Hair and makeup.  Hair and makeup.

Oct 20 05 09:16 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Tracey Masterson wrote:
In addition, take notice of the fact that these girls are nothing special, to say the least.  Get them into hair and makeup and they shine.  Hair and makeup.  Hair and makeup.

hahahahahahahahha, i agree!  hair and makeup does wonders!  wink

Z

Oct 20 05 09:51 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Anyone see Cassandra on Tyra's talk show? Wow, that was a spectacle.

Oct 21 05 03:54 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

M Chorak

Santa Monica, California, US

Living in LA we've met a a lot of people that work in the reality tv industry. Most of it is fake. They don't completely script out the shows but if the show isn't going in the right direction they do have script writers that give them lines and scenarios to act out. If I remember correctly I believe the reality tv script writers want a union but the tv shows are fighting it cuz it gives away their dirty secret.

Also about ANTM I know a casting photographer in LA. The Ford models that come through for the casting calls informed him that that ANTM hired Ford models for the elimination rounds. So the girls you see pouting and crying that they didn't go through to the finals were actually already professional models.

Oct 21 05 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jarod

Malibu, California, US

My vote is for Kyle or Nicole.

Oct 21 05 07:31 pm Link

Model

haitherelilu

Chanti wrote:
welp.  i was honestly thinking about trying out for the show.  Maybe I wont now.    I would think that even if you dont make it to the top, atleast the show gives great exposure, and if you make it to the top two, you get an awesome portfolio. And how cool would it be to not only get the exposure, but the experience and the contacts?
Just my thoughts.

Ann from season 3 is doing pretty well. It certainly will get you some exposure. Just because it wont make you into a supermodel doesnt mean you should rule it out

Oct 22 05 02:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

My vote is for Miss J.

Oct 22 05 07:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

M Chorak wrote:
Living in LA we've met a a lot of people that work in the reality tv industry. Most of it is fake. They don't completely script out the shows but if the show isn't going in the right direction they do have script writers that give them lines and scenarios to act out. If I remember correctly I believe the reality tv script writers want a union but the tv shows are fighting it cuz it gives away their dirty secret.

Also about ANTM I know a casting photographer in LA. The Ford models that come through for the casting calls informed him that that ANTM hired Ford models for the elimination rounds. So the girls you see pouting and crying that they didn't go through to the finals were actually already professional models.

I work on reality shows, No scripting of the talent.  That doesnt mean that they don't bring up scenerios to cause drama (like, lets take them all out for a night of drinking)...they do.  But really there is no acting involved, no lines, nothing like that....EXCEPT.  Sometimes something will be said and for some reason they have to reshoot the spot...the person may be asked to repeat it with the same expression...this doesn't normally work well and so isn't used often.  The only one with lines is the host.

I also work now and then with Mark Burnetts crew, his shows are not scripted.

Oct 22 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

Mary - really? that must be so cool to work on those!

I know that I must be pretty naive, but i do think a lot of it is real - sometimes those people are just too good for it to be fake...

Julia

Oct 22 05 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Aimercat wrote:

are you saying they don't get to keep their pix from the shoots for their portfolios?

I'm pretty certain that they get the portfolio pics, probably with the show's logo all over them.  And Janice as a photographer was hilarious.  Very entertaining.  And her looks?  Good god, she's looking like the CatWoman.  It sucks to be a woman past her prime.  I hope I don't look like that at her age.

Oct 22 05 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

NEVER underestimate the power of a skilled editor.  The real key to how a person is perceived lies in the editing.  Even the nicest person in the world can be made to seem at the very least terse and standoffish if that's what a good editor wants.

Oct 23 05 01:52 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

it's all in the editing.

Oct 23 05 04:08 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

JenniferMaria wrote:

I'm pretty certain that they get the portfolio pics, probably with the show's logo all over them.  And Janice as a photographer was hilarious.  Very entertaining.  And her looks?  Good god, she's looking like the CatWoman.  It sucks to be a woman past her prime.  I hope I don't look like that at her age.

What you see with Janice is two life attributes at war:

1) Her lifestyle is horrendous.

2) Her plastic surgery budget is enormous.

If it weren't for #1, she wouldn't need #2.

She's actually not a bad photographer (although insert standard "if I had her budget and her models I'd be a pretty good photographer too" comment here.) She *has* been around fashion photography most of her life and she's far from stupid: it's completely understandable that a lot of it has rubbed off.

M

Oct 23 05 09:23 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Another one bites the dust.

Oct 28 05 03:09 am Link