Forums > General Industry > When meeting a model (Shake, Hug, Kiss)

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Well it's late at night, and I'm looking foward to shooting with a few models over the weekend and beginning of the week, provided I dont get weighed down by my classes (gogo BScBiol) and it got me thinking.  The models I have dealt with have all been friends or people I know through friends, and when we first meet for the first time or for a shoot I usually give them a hug.

Now, for someone I didn't know, in the interest of being professional I would probably opt out for the hand shake.  But, from a models point of view, what I want to create is an atmosphere of trust and comfort, and the hand shake comes off as strict, formal and organized, and thats not necessarily what I want to portray in the photos.  A hug on the other hand through the physical contact and embracing, creates that relaxed, warm atmosphere.  The more comfortable the model is with me, the better the photos will turn out, it's about creating that trust, and comfort.  Kiss?  Meh, out of the question haha, I just put that in there so someone would read my thread haha.

I think im cute lol... or at least that's what I tell myself in the mirror, it's not meant so allude to anything sexual, but to break the ice and discomfort some may feel when working with someone new.

So my question to the all wise knowing MM community, what do you do, expect, or think about it?  When you first meet a new model/photographer hand shake, hug?  Comments, concerns...  Happy discussions!

Oct 07 06 01:31 am Link

Photographer

- null -

I've done all three. Completely depends on the chemistry.

9 times out of 10, it's a hug. When I initiate things, I always go for the handshake.

Oct 07 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Sex unless I'm shooting a male model, then its just a "whats up?"

Oct 07 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

JM Dean wrote:
Sex unless I'm shooting a male model, then its just a "whats up?"

Not quite established enough for that lol

Oct 07 06 01:41 am Link

Model

AuLa

West Hollywood, California, US

99% of the time I prefer the handshake, but before the shoot takes place. A handshake tells a lot about a person while still being extremely professional.

Oct 07 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

E|||B wrote:

9 times out of 10, it's a hug. When I initiate things, I always go for the handshake.

Ditto.  Models I've never met I do so with a handshake, but a hug always seems to close the day.  Francophones like me and some Europeans like to kiss both cheeks, but I don't think that happens too much in the US.  Leg humping is absolutely out.

Oct 07 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

hump?

Oct 07 06 01:45 am Link

Model

JMaryV

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I think a nice handshake is best. Instead of coming across and friendly, a hug definitely might come across as sexual, even though you've stated that that's not what you want. Or it might make you come off as a bit strange and socially awkward. I know I've felt awkward when I was hugged by a someone I was just meeting and thinking: "Man, what's this person's problem? Are they drunk or something?"

But a friendly smile and a "Hey! Nice to meet ya!" while shaking a model's hand should help the friendly environment you want to create

Oct 07 06 01:46 am Link

Model

Jinx1313

Emeryville, California, US

I like the handshake to start.  One of my best meetings was when I met a photog for lunch and he brought with him some of his port for me to review (more extensive than what he had on MM) so I could get an idea.  He went over his ideas and told me that before we even really started shooting he would want to just shoot me talking about my self and take some candid images to break the ice.  It wasn't all that necessary when the time came to shoot b/c after just spending an hour talking about the pix in his port, past shoots, and good/bad experiences with photog/models I was totally comfortable.  Needless to say when I left after shooting that night he got a big hug and my hope that we'd get the chance to shoot again.

Oct 07 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

lavive wrote:

Not quite established enough for that lol

That was my hope wink. But actually I’m old enough to be most models father. I usually meet with a handshake and end with a hug after they find out I’m harmless smile

Oct 07 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

I could see from a models point of view how a hug could come off as too strong, it all depends on the context and chemistry I guess.  Some girls I've talked to are hide under the rock antisocial types, Ima guess theyd prefer something more professional.  But some girls, the outgoing, bubbly fun to be around types, the hug would break the ice.

But yeah, what I like to do is run through some of the work I've done before, different scenes, lighting, makeup and clothing styles and go over what they want to portray, and I find that helps a lot.  For someone just starting out its hard for a lot of people to take you seriously when you dont have an extensive portfolio built up.  Also when you tell them you are going into pharmacy, teach 1st year nursing at a university, play league tennis and semi-pro baseball and used to give masage therapy at 22...lol... peeps are skeptical.

Oh well, thats what I get for being a hypercompetitive overachieving bastard =/

Oct 07 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

- null -

lavive wrote:
Also when you tell them you are going into pharmacy, teach 1st year nursing at a university, play league tennis and semi-pro baseball and used to give masage therapy at 22...lol... peeps are skeptical.

Oh well, thats what I get for being a hypercompetitive overachieving bastard =/

Stick to the handshake. Anything more might be unduly construed as another achievement. Heaven forbid trite feats might fuel delusions of grandure.

Oct 07 06 02:18 am Link

Model

Valerie D

I felt a bit awkward when hugged by a photographer after a shoot... Actually, really awkward. Maybe that's just me?

Oct 07 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I honk boobies. I work hard to make models comfortable.

Oct 07 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

BlindMike wrote:
I honk boobies. I work hard to make models comfortable.

That’s easy when you have an excuse like being Blind Mike smile

Oct 07 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

E|||B wrote:

Usually before the shoot, it's a hand shake ... after it's almost always (either with a male or female model) it's a hug. Hugs are wonderful wink  So are models (except for that one) .. /t

Oct 07 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

MichaelO Digital Artist

Clovis, California, US

The funny thing is, we photographers have seen what the models look like from their portfolio.  They usually haven't seen us at all.  If that's the case, you have the upper hand when meeting the model and you can choose how to greet them.  But in my opinion I always go with the handshake and I try to make the best possible first impression.

Oct 07 06 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

I meet with mine in a Coffee Shop at any time before 7:00pm.  smile  It's a public atmosphere, relaxed, and we can sit down to some nice coffee as we go over the papers and the details for the shoot! smile  I start with a firm handshake and I am a pretty tiny lady so I have my bf close by somewhere for safety for myself.  I do not give hugs because I'm not a very open person when you first meet me, I'm friendly but I keep my distance until I know more about them.  I stay pretty professional and keep everything to business.

Oct 07 06 02:30 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Valerie D wrote:
I felt a bit awkward when hugged by a photographer after a shoot... Actually, really awkward. Maybe that's just me?

Everyone is different.

There should be no shame in feeling awkward with it.

There should be no pride in feeling comfortable with it.

It is what it is.

Oct 07 06 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

most of the time when i ask a woman to model for me she throws her drink in my face

Oct 07 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I shake hands before and after.  before because i just met them, after because because I'm a dirty glamour shooter and baby oil stains. EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Oct 07 06 02:34 am Link

Model

BronxBeauty8

skae to say hi - hug to say good by

kiss if you're both female wink

Oct 07 06 02:34 am Link

Model

Austyn229

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

lotusphoto wrote:
most of the time when i ask a woman to model for me she throws her drink in my face

Maybe that's cause you are giving the booby grab instead of giving the professional handshake prior to asking?? LOL...

I think it all depends on how much contact you've had with each other prior to the shoot.  Offer up a handshake, maybe the model will come in with a hug...it reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry was trying to figure out how the girl felt about him by how she greeted him...course then again, just about everything reminds me of a seinfeld episode.

Oct 07 06 02:56 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Ransom J wrote:
I shake hands before and after.  before because i just met them, after because because I'm a dirty glamour shooter and baby oil stains. EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

There'd be nothing to stain if you were nude too Ransom. Think about it. wink

Studio36

Oct 07 06 03:00 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

High fives all around.

Oct 07 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

BronxBeauty8 wrote:
skae to say hi - hug to say good by

kiss if you're both female wink

I'm a female!

Oct 07 06 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Squirm?

Oct 07 06 05:51 am Link

Photographer

Jeremy I

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I typically don't hug anyone I never have met before, not sure why I would hug a new model. A handshake if anything at all, usually a hey ladies, the changing room is over there, help yourself to a refreshment, give a shout when you are ready, I will be around.

Oct 07 06 06:12 am Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

I think I start with a handshake....and then at the end of the shoot they get a hug.

smile
But there's no guarantee of that.

Oct 07 06 06:16 am Link

Model

Gigi Model

Henderson, Nevada, US

once i met with a photog and when he firsst met me, to tinroduce himself he tried to have sex with me. I said no. he said sorry he was just so happy to see me. i said still it was not the way i do things. so we had the shoot and afterwards to say goodbye he took off his cloths and tried to have sex with me again. i said no. he said he htought maybe it was ok to have sex as a way to say goodbye. i said no, it is not. he apologized again, got dressed, and then shook my hand. so i dont think it is right to have sex as a way of saying hello.

Oct 07 06 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

I reserve my hugs for my loved ones.  Hugging is an intimate act.  I wouldn't hug anyone in the office where I work. (Inappropriate as hell, and a bucket of trouble if unwelcomed by the huggee)  How can hugging a model in the studio or on location be appropriate?  It's just another work environment, and the model is in the role of either co-worker or employee.

Oct 07 06 09:27 am Link

Model

Ashley N Spicer

Orlando, Florida, US

Handshake before and after and nothing more unless the model initiates it and you are BOTH comfortable with the situation.

I had a photographer hug me after and since I already had quite a creepy vibe from him to begin with, I haven't shot with him since. He does great work, but if I'm not comfortable during the shoot, how will I ever take good photos?? smile

Oct 07 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

A handshake is proper for first meeting, just like it would be in any business encounter.

Depending on the situation, hugs may be appropriate for subsequent meetings, but let the model be the one to initiate.

Oct 07 06 09:35 am Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Upon meeting a photographer I've not worked with it ususally starts with a handshake and ends with a hug.

Oct 07 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Me , always a handshake ,,,,Any hugging or kissing to be initiated by them .....I find a fair number or French Canadian and Euro models are into the kissing thing ie on the  cheeks , sometimes the mouth ... I have one model friend ( Jamacain ) who likes to punch me on the arm - as a sign of affection ( and she punches hard )

Oct 07 06 09:38 am Link

Model

Shafs

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa

E|||B wrote:

agreed! a handshake is professional, which is the what the shoot should be, comfort and trust doesn't happen on the first date, it takes time to trust someone, and when you know that they are professional comfort will follow.

There are a few photogs I work with for the first time and a handshake works well, for the photogs that I work with more often, we hug when we greet/meet with a kiss on the cheek.

Shafs

Oct 07 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

MykeCee

Lancaster, South Carolina, US

Rena wrote:
Upon meeting a photographer I've not worked with it ususally starts with a handshake and ends with a hug.

Same here.. I always start out with a handshake.  I find that the "two handed" handshake is friendlier than the standard handshake.  You know, where you shake their hand and then place your other hand on top of theirs?  Add a smile to that and that's all the warm fuzzies you really need to start building rapport and creating great shots smile

By the time the shoot is over, I've usually had so much fun with the model and we've gotten to know each other well enough, to where it always ends with a hug.

mc

Oct 07 06 09:43 am Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Rena wrote:

Me too!

Oct 07 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Usually a hi.  unless I am being introduced it's a hi and maybe a handshake.  I'm a hug person though so sometimes it's hugs after the shoot, or just a simple had a great time working with ya, drive safe, but I don't go chasing down the model yelling "hug meeeee" with my arms outstretched.        That would be a funny vision though lol

Oct 07 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Whatever you do meeting any person with the same familiarity level.  Some you nod to, others get a hug. 

After a shoot, depending on how it went, I usually do hug the model or she hugs me.  Again, depends on comfort or discomfort level.

There aren't any rules about this and photo school had nothing to say about it.

Now I'm old and fat and ugly, so if the determiner is how cute the photographer is, I should be waving at the models, but I like the affirmation that the shoot was comfortable and things went well as much as the next guy.  If the model seems reluctant...well, I guess I'd have to back off.

Interesting question.

But you know, there's something really nice about a pair of boobies pushed against one's chest.  Or back.

-Don

Oct 07 06 09:51 am Link