Forums > General Industry > Outa Control 15 Yr Old at Pro Shoot

Photographer

RGK Photography

Wilton, Connecticut, US

Garry k wrote:

If this sorta thing gives you a "rise "-that is pretty sad .....

You are fucking clueless, a rise is an emotional change, not a physical one you asshole.

Oct 07 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Star wrote:
once again, she is still a child. This is a child working for you. Not an adult. A child. You don't "break" a child in. You don't yell at a child. You don't expect a child to be able to do everything an adult does, you just don't.

You also shouldn't "use" a child to get what you need out of her and than ignore the consquences of how that child reacts to the adult world you helped keep her in. Especially when that child has shown herself to be mentally unstable.

Normally I'd agree, but this is fashion. No one is an adult.

Oct 08 06 03:29 am Link

Photographer

S_D

San Diego, California, US

RGK Photography wrote:

You are fucking clueless, a rise is an emotional change, not a physical one you asshole.

HAAH! RGK, Some people should just not be able to participate..LOL

Oct 08 06 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

RGK Photography wrote:

D-STFU,what are you ,insulting someone like that?

Oct 08 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Actually, I have my doubts about this thread to begin with.  I mean, consider the following:

1)A 15 year old on set with no chaperone?  Not gonna happen.

2)Garry's snide comparison of MM to Playboy and Hustler

3)Garry in the past has made such a big deal over how superior to the rest of us he is, yet he wants to know if we think he should shoot with this wild child.

4)Garry's claim that even if he does shoot with her, we're not allowed to see pictures.

I personally think it's a stir the pot deal.

Oct 08 06 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Pot did someone say pot? Is this now a drugs forum? Pot did someone say pot?
I like ............................

Oct 08 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

RGK Photography wrote:

Rule #1

Oct 08 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Suzan Aktug wrote:

Maxwell Digital Art wrote:
And i'll tell something else, their beer sucks!  Canadian Bacon

I certainly hope that you're being sarcastic, esspecially the beer remark!
Gary - I just realised you were from Vancouver as well, where is this fashion show being held?

I guess in my view Beer is Beer is Beer ( except Kirin which goes down nicely w Sushi )

I will contact you personally re upcoming fashion shows in Oct and Nov ( and I am not stating this young will definitily be cast for any of them)

Oct 08 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

RGK Photography wrote:

Tsk tsk , you better watch your language or they will send you for a Time Out and that wont be any fun ( I know cuz it happened to me ) LOL

Oct 08 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Pot did someone say pot? Is this now a drugs forum? Pot did someone say pot?
I like ............................

Hey ,we got some great POT in this here part of the world ........

Oct 08 06 09:33 am Link

Model

Annia

Collingswood, New Jersey, US

Ched wrote:

Bingo. Let her know you've heard about her behavior, that you know she is nervous and wants to make it. Lay out the requirements of the job in no uncertain terms. Ask her like an adult to agree to temper her attitude for the show. Under no circumstances should you treat her like a child.

I'm with Ched. I've dealt with kids a bit and I've always gotten the best reaction when you treat them like an adult. It embarrasses them a little without making you look like the bad guy and it gives them a maturity level to strive for. A lot of the time they just don't know any better. It's worth a try, anyway.

Oct 08 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Tape Her Up wrote:
1)A 15 year old on set with no chaperone?  Not gonna happen.

It's actually quite common in a professional fashion setting.  There are plenty of girls who go to a foreign country with minimal supervision for a season.

Andy

Oct 08 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:
It's actually quite common in a professional fashion setting.  There are plenty of girls who go to a foreign country with minimal supervision for a season.

Andy

Shows how much I know of fashion photography.  Still, in the case of a minor, I'd prefer a parent or guardian be on hand to avoid any potential problems.  I did a mainstream flick that had a minor in it (coincidentally, 15 years old at the time) and I told her parents that I wanted at least one of them around during the shoot.  Incidentally, this particular 15 year old was one of the most mature actresses I ever worked with.  Hell, she was more mature than many of the so-called adult actors and actresses I worked with!

But beyond that, I still have my doubts as to the validity of this thread.  The whole "this girl may become a supermodel--should I shoot with her?" thing sounds phoney.  There is utterly no way of knowing if someone is going to hit it big or not.  Even if you shoot with them now and they become big later on, what does that mean?  Let's go back to my example.  Supposing the actress in my mainstream flick goes to Hollywood in a couple of years and becomes the next Meg Ryan.  Will that make my flick any more valuable?  Prolly not.  Early stuff done by people only get watched by those utterly obsessed with seeing everything the actor/actress has ever done.  I mean, how many people seek out Amityville 3-D in this dayand age?  And yet that movie happened to have Meg Ryan in it.

So yeah, IF Garry shot with this girl and IF this girl became the next Rachel Hunter, what would it mean?  Bragging rights?  I shot with so and so before she made it big?  Not much in my book, unless the photos (or in my case movie) became instantly worth millions of dollars.

Oct 08 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

15 year old with nipple rings.  Even if your parents signed off on it, isnt it illegal for someone who isnt a doctor to even touch her there

I'm a doctor and a photographer ...and I WOULD not even though her there in the context of photography, and unless it's for a breast exam (which my nurse does anyway), I still wouldn't touch her there.  Geeze ... on one hand I keep wondering where these girls where when I was their age; on the other hand, I'd be afraid to know wink ... Cheers, Tim

Oct 08 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:

Andy

Thank you .You have  some understanding of how this  business works ....

Oct 09 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

It is true that  no one can predict who will become the next big thing , and it is also true that an aspiring models chances of becoming the worlds next supermodels are probably one in a million .....However the possibility cannot be ruled out for any young model with the "right " look and height .......

I have personally witnessed such success in another ( different )  young model I know  and began photographing at age 16 ... Her name _"Coco Rocha " and now at the ripe old age of 18 she has ascended into the realm of INternational Supermodel status

http://www.coco-rocha.com/

So given this , I have to say - It may happen again in my little world ......But the questions  posed here in this thread re the control 15 yrs old , have more  to do with the ethics of a working with  a girl who  has such behavior , and will exposing her to the fashion world exacerbate such behavior ( or can she learn to bring it under control )

Oct 09 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Eric Polite

New York, New York, US

Take her photo while you can.

While I'm a fan of polite + professional + calm people, the simple truth is that her beauty/lunacy combo will attract people.  For every photog who won't take a chance on her idiocy, there will be at least one who will feed off of it.  People love to watch a sincerely live wire.  Even when you hate them, you want to see what they're doing.  Example: nearly every celebutard who gets press.

Oct 11 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Spark Studios

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

And i'll tell something else, their beer sucks!  Canadian Bacon

Now them's fightin words!!!! Ahhh Canadian Bacon such a misrepresentation of the Canadian culture although it was hilarious. What a minute? Didn't it make Americans look stupid too?? What was the topic again?? LOL Sorry I couldn't help myself, Damn us Canadians and lack of morals!!!

As for the topic the one thing about people whose heads get big from attention is that eventually it blows up in their faces. See what you can do but keep a tight reign on her. Good luck

Oct 11 06 09:21 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Obviously her behavior isn't too awful, or else you wouldn't have started this thread.  Go with your gut, and tell her beforehand she's gone if she misbehaves.  Good luck!

Oct 11 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Garry k wrote:
Keeping in mind that in these days and times - most Supermodels are discovered in their mid teens ( Ie Gemma Ward  , Karolina Kurkova etc )

One of my stylest friends  had an interesting experience /moral dilemna the other day at a large ( multi model ) Fashion shoot she was coordinating .....

One the models particiapting in the shoot was a relatively new /but stunningly beautiful and tall 15 year old .... A model who - in the  stylest views has  great potential based on her look ....( shs is already signed with a mid sized local agency )

However it soon became apparant to every one involved that girls emotional maturity did not  match her physical maturity ...and the whole photo shoot went to her head very quickly ...She started flashing the photog  showing off her recent nipple piercings , she told the gay hairstylest  that she was going to convert him to hetrosexuality . and when posed with one of the  other female models - the 15 yrs started carressing her arms in a very sapphic fashion  ( personally I am wondering if thsi girls modelling training consisted of watching that Gia movie )

According to my stylest friend she had to spend much of the shoot keeping the 15 yr old under control - but in the same breathe tells me that the girls photos turned out "Amazing " and there was not a bad shot of her ...

Now my stylest friend wants to cast the 15 year old in an Edgy Fashion show we are working  togehter on for later the month ... (and is recommending also that I do a creative shoot with her ) ......to which I am thinking- either - wont that just be like adding gasoline to the fire? OR what if she becomes  the next big thing .....( and wouldnt I just kick myself if I passed on her ) So a bit of a dilemna ,no ?

make sure you have someone else there with you and have a brick handy incase you have to hit her in the head,....

Oct 11 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Ashley Barrett Photo

PLAYA DEL REY, California, US

Garry k wrote:
Keeping in mind that in these days and times - most Supermodels are discovered in their mid teens ( Ie Gemma Ward  , Karolina Kurkova etc )

One of my stylest friends  had an interesting experience /moral dilemna the other day at a large ( multi model ) Fashion shoot she was coordinating .....

One the models particiapting in the shoot was a relatively new /but stunningly beautiful and tall 15 year old .... A model who - in the  stylest views has  great potential based on her look ....( shs is already signed with a mid sized local agency )

However it soon became apparant to every one involved that girls emotional maturity did not  match her physical maturity ...and the whole photo shoot went to her head very quickly ...She started flashing the photog  showing off her recent nipple piercings , she told the gay hairstylest  that she was going to convert him to hetrosexuality . and when posed with one of the  other female models - the 15 yrs started carressing her arms in a very sapphic fashion  ( personally I am wondering if thsi girls modelling training consisted of watching that Gia movie )

According to my stylest friend she had to spend much of the shoot keeping the 15 yr old under control - but in the same breathe tells me that the girls photos turned out "Amazing " and there was not a bad shot of her ...

Now my stylest friend wants to cast the 15 year old in an Edgy Fashion show we are working  togehter on for later the month ... (and is recommending also that I do a creative shoot with her ) ......to which I am thinking- either - wont that just be like adding gasoline to the fire? OR what if she becomes  the next big thing .....( and wouldnt I just kick myself if I passed on her ) So a bit of a dilemna ,no ?

Either shoot her or pass my info on to her. I'd much rather shoot a nut job than a stiff, boring run of the mill model.

Oct 11 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Its great that you act as a lady and are mature but not every 15 year does.
Children often act out for lots of reasons and I'm not surprised.  I'm not excusing
what she does but saying I understand.  She's at a hard point in her life in many
ways.  Expected to act as a adult when she isn't one.  She's moving from being
a child into being a women as well as being fawned over for her beauty and height.
Lots to take in and deal with at 15 and I know I have children that passed through
all this.

As far as acting as a slut well unless you know that she's sleeping with
various people calling her a slut isn't cool at all.  Even if she were, 15 is confused.
20 and sleeping with various strangers is a slut.

We expect children to behave as adults when we want them to but as children at other times.  She's wild and no doubt needs some parenting but she's 15 lets not forget that and if you as a under 18 young person have a mature view and act as a 'lady' well good for you and your parents should be proud but don't judge your peers to harshly.

well i think you go too far here
you  can be 20 and have sexual partners as you wish
this should not mean you are ''a slut''

the behaviour descibed (touching up gals for males anticipated viewing excitment and flashing yourself when at a professional work situation - not a party)
IS SLUTTY
perfect word for it
i completely agree
and far more than  ;;child acting out;;

and as the parent who raised her this far - with peiced nipples and acting like this  when she get a chance - is bound to sort here out on set
oh yes they clearly have things under control
(and legally should have been there last time?)
its  a sign of the times and its nasty
but if shes that gorgeous we wil all encourage it and exploit her sigh
!

Oct 11 06 12:14 pm Link

Model

Elisa Lee

East Lansing, Michigan, US

John Allan wrote:

I think they still have freedom there...

John

Thia should be funny, but unfortunately it's true.

Oct 11 06 03:14 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Concerning the 15 yr old solely, I'd just let Darwinism do it's own work. Flare fast, burn bright and fizzle out when the time is right. If she's that immature, it'll be a fast ride.

Oct 11 06 03:56 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

My two cents:

Explain clearly what you expect from her, and what you will not tolerate. Then hire her. If she blows it, follow up with what you said, hand her a check and show her the door.

xx

Oct 11 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Ched wrote:
It's Canada. They have no morals or american flags, or even hot dogs there.

response deleted... this doesn't deserve one

Oct 11 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Elisa Lawriw wrote:

Thia should be funny, but unfortunately it's true.

Somewhat

Oct 13 06 10:52 am Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

James Jackson wrote:
Her parents aren't going to be able to fix the problem, in fact they're probably the root of the problem having given her everything she wants since birth and doting on her beauty since she was old enough to be shown off... and in reality no other adult matters.  Nothing *you* do will change her mind.  If you do something contrary to her world-view to attempt to prove the world does not in fact revolve around her, she'll just get twice as rowdy in an attempt to prove it true.

I havent read this whole thread through yet but I had to respond to this. I have a very HARD TO DEAL WITH sister..and your right a person who is made to believe the world revovles around them.....will not change. This is something that begins in the early childhood years with some children.I do agree the parents are often to blame because they allow the behavior to continue. However, sometimes a result of something very negative in a childs life that may cause this behavior as well. Again...its behavior that has been allowed to continue. What ever the case may be with this 15 yrs old girl....she needed one of the following[in my opinion] (a) her parents to intervene when the behavior began, (b) therapy to find out why she was acting out the way she was, or best yet (c) both of the previously mentioned.

Meela

Oct 13 06 12:42 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
The League of MM saves 15 year old girl from soiling the reputation of some unknown fashion show. It was a close call this station has been informed by elite members of the MM child enforcement league.
Having had several reports of a 15 year old girl running madd through the show throwing lap dances at complete strangers
All the while photographers from all parts of the famed MM tag house site used their best judgement in order to define the issue without limiting themselves to any one stance.
Group leaders gave the orders for the "League" to move into action.
Ummm...no I don't believe any action has been taken as of yet Ollie.
One eye witness has just supplied us with video depicting horrific scenes of random nipples being shoved in 40 year old balding mens faces as the men turned and fled dropping various types of camera apparatus on the way out. Word from the show had some of them screaming myeos,myeos no conclusive determination has been made as to the meaning of this random word but the CDC is currently running it through its databanks in the hope of finding some link that may help in the search for answers.
A tre'age unit  has been set up in the lobby for those suffering from ...nipple rings?
Yes Jim thats right these shameless hussies showed no regard for anyone or their personal space or taste.
This is Jim Me for the BBC world service.
We now return to our regularly scheduled program
Jerry Springer

LMAO!!!!

Oct 13 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

ok now that I've gotten cught up on the thread.

My advice is IF YOU decide to shoot with this girl make sure her parent/guardian signs a release. After you have done that....make sure you are VERY clear to the parents one of them MUST REMAIN ON SET until you have completed. Also if this is something you are working on in conjunction with your MUA/Stylist friend have her stay close by at all times as well. Its pretty much a CYA [cover your ass] situation.

Noone can tell you what you should do. You have to make that decision yourself. Its you that has to deal with this girl and all the complications she may bring to set no one else.

Meela

Oct 13 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
The League of MM saves 15 year old girl from soiling the reputation of some unknown fashion show. It was a close call this station has been informed by elite members of the MM child enforcement league.
Having had several reports of a 15 year old girl running madd through the show throwing lap dances at complete strangers
All the while photographers from all parts of the famed MM tag house site used their best judgement in order to define the issue without limiting themselves to any one stance.
Group leaders gave the orders for the "League" to move into action.
Ummm...no I don't believe any action has been taken as of yet Ollie.
One eye witness has just supplied us with video depicting horrific scenes of random nipples being shoved in 40 year old balding mens faces as the men turned and fled dropping various types of camera apparatus on the way out. Word from the show had some of them screaming myeos,myeos no conclusive determination has been made as to the meaning of this random word but the CDC is currently running it through its databanks in the hope of finding some link that may help in the search for answers.
A tre'age unit  has been set up in the lobby for those suffering from ...nipple rings?
Yes Jim thats right these shameless hussies showed no regard for anyone or their personal space or taste.
This is Jim Me for the BBC world service.
We now return to our regularly scheduled program

Jerry Springer

Too Funny ..thanks for the contribution

Oct 14 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

It's my opinion that this thread separates those who photograph real models and those who pretend to.

I love watching all the net shooters jump up in their lawyer suits and Superman costumes claiming that they were once in the situation and instead of photographing - they plucked out their own eyes so as not to observe the underage model.

This girl sounds like the stuff dreams are made of.  The fashion world loves a girl like this.  Still, the net people protest, until the day she turns 18... then they beg her to be like that on a tfp basis... and offer their "manager" services.

Let's face it folks - we're in the business of buying, selling and renting fantasy.  The girl in question is the fantasy of the woman who's now 40 years old.  She remembers what a hot rockin body she had at that age and lives vicariously though those images.  That's what fashion editorial is all about.

If you can't handle girls who are in touch with their "women" side at a young age - get out of the business.  Go shoot weddings, puppy dogs, and school pics.  Girls at this age aren't as stupid as many here would have you believe.  They know what they have and what it's for.  If they're fortunate enough to be free of the "inhibitions" that most aquire around that age... all the better.  They are absolutely the most powerful girls in the industry.

That's just my take on it.

Oct 14 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

ChristianBehr wrote:
It's my opinion that this thread separates those who photograph real models and those who pretend to.

I love watching all the net shooters jump up in their lawyer suits and Superman costumes claiming that they were once in the situation and instead of photographing - they plucked out their own eyes so as not to observe the underage model.

This girl sounds like the stuff dreams are made of.  The fashion world loves a girl like this.  Still, the net people protest, until the day she turns 18... then they beg her to be like that on a tfp basis... and offer their "manager" services.

Let's face it folks - we're in the business of buying, selling and renting fantasy.  The girl in question is the fantasy of the woman who's now 40 years old.  She remembers what a hot rockin body she had at that age and lives vicariously though those images.  That's what fashion editorial is all about.

If you can't handle girls who are in touch with their "women" side at a young age - get out of the business.  Go shoot weddings, puppy dogs, and school pics.  Girls at this age aren't as stupid as many here would have you believe.  They know what they have and what it's for.  If they're fortunate enough to be free of the "inhibitions" that most aquire around that age... all the better.  They are absolutely the most powerful girls in the industry.

That's just my take on it.

You may well be right ,,, Ive yet too meet her , but I wish to ...and will assess whether or not to photograph her . In making my determination - look , height her comfor in front of the camera will be my main considations ..I am sure with ( at least ) my female stylistand or her parent  present- we have a good chance of keeping her reigned in at least for the photoshoot

Oct 14 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

That's one thing that many here on MM overlook.... the make-up artists and stylists that are on the set.  I don't shoot anything without at least a make-up artist... regardless of age.  If we're going to shoot - we have the staff to make it right.  Security is the bi-product of a good shoot.

Oct 14 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Art Richards Creatives

Bogo, Central Visayas, Philippines

Leave it on Mom/Dad... have one of them there to keep the kid in check and/or be accountable for the results... and this probably goes without saying (in case mom is cooky too)... have an assistant with you at all toimes so you can't be accused of misbehavior during some "harmless" one on one shoot time.

Oct 14 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

OK, I have not read all of the responses here, but I have to say I'm totally flabergasted by some of  those I did read. I don't care if the model is 15. 5 or 35, there is only one person in total charge of any shoot, that's the photographer. If the photographer can not control his/her set then there is a serious career problem.

Tell the little nincompoop to sit down and shut up or suffer the consequences. There is no place for 'wilding' on a photo set. If she or he can actually not be controlled, then let her know the shoot will be ended and her/his agency or parents billed for the ruined session. She won't do it again!

Oct 14 06 08:24 pm Link

Model

Elfie

London, Ontario, Canada

Serene Death wrote:
Boy I hope all of those Canadian shots were sarcastic.... all I can tell you is that body piercing, like tattooing, is illegal here when you are a minor BUT unlike tattooing your parents can sign a waiver and then you can be pierced, likely because it's not permanent.

Actually.. If you're over 16 a parent can sign off on a tattoo, piercings at 14, over 16 no signing needed for piercings, though most places won't give a nipple ring until you're at least 16.. and most places won't touch intimate areas until you're 18+

And... to the actual subject...
Though the photos turned out amazing, there are other models that could have the exact same results without the hassle... a model is more than just her looks, it that and her professionalism. There is no reason to put up with her being a brat, unless you are getting a lot of money out of her.

Oct 14 06 08:33 pm Link

Model

Vincent Vega

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Garry k wrote:

WOW seems like all the non-professional mature people are getting the good stuff.... maybe I should start acting like that during my photo shoots..... Knowing my luck everyone will start hating me

Oct 15 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

WOW seems like all the non-professional mature people are getting the good stuff.... maybe I should start acting like that during my photo shoots..... Knowing my luck everyone will start hating me

It proobably would not go to well if a 17 yr old male model were to act like this at a shoot .

Oct 15 06 11:47 am Link