Forums > General Industry > Ban Skinny Models

Photographer

bear_mkt

Paramus, New Jersey, US

I just saw a news story on Reuters about the first ban on "skinny models" in Spain. They're using a body-mass ratio to ban models with figures similar to Kate Moss and Esther Canadas from appearing in fashion shows, with the threat of legislation if the designers don't cooperate voluntarily. (I always knew government was fat and bloated, but I didn't think they'd try to impose it on the private sector.)

Yeah, its Europe, but how long will it be before some political tweetie in the US adds this to his election campaign?

"Madrid's fashion week has turned away underweight models after protests that young girls and women were trying to copy their rail-thin looks and developing eating disorders."

"Organizers say they want to project an image of beauty and health, rather than a waif-like, or heroin chic look."

So, what do you think about the waif look? Or as the designers prefer call it, models with naturally gazelle-like bodies.

Sep 13 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

Government?  According to the article I read it's the designers that decided on a body mass ratio.  I like the waifs.

Sep 13 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Now this is the dumbest thing I've seen in a while.  Just like some girls are naturally bigger... there are those who can eat more than me ( body of a Hobbit ) and still remain thin as a rail.

So celebrate with your " no skinny models " signs... but know that it's the same thing as having a " no fat chicks " sign under your chair.  Shame on your dumb ass.

Plus models... pay attention.  Now the government is calling the shots as to body types.  Once this is allowed - make no mistake - you could easily be next.  Since when did we allow any government dictate what is or is not a healthy or happy body?  Who wants some Prime Minister telling them to gain or lose weight... isn't life hard enough already?  Now the government tells you how to keep your body.

Sep 13 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Government targetting...what?  Next thing, you should wear what they tell you to wear.

Oh, and by the way, the "ban" is for models who has a BMI that is below 18.

Which means...for a 5'9", she needs to weigh over 120lb.  Not exactly "plus size"...get the whole story.

This is BS.  People have different built, different muscle density, different genetics makeup, now they are trying to attempt to "ban" a biological element; good luck with that.

Sep 13 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Alex Mercatali

Forlì, Emilia-Romagna, Italy

Has anyone of you dealt with an anorexic or bulimic person, more than shooting her?

Probably not, cause if you have, I don't think that you still take such kind of "banishment" so dumb to put on.

Sep 13 06 03:06 am Link

Model

Mandy Y

Los Angeles, California, US

lll wrote:
Oh, and by the way, the "ban" is for models who has a BMI that is below 18.

Which means...for a 5'9", she needs to weigh over 120lb.  the whole story.

you gotta be kidding!!! I eat alot and when I mean ALOT I do, and I cannot gain weight
I have always been 110 or less at 5'9  sad

I even tried to gain weight but I just can't get over the 110 hurdle

Sep 13 06 03:12 am Link

Model

jasmine o

Castro Valley, California, US

Mandy Y wrote:
you gotta be kidding!!! I eat alot and when I mean ALOT I do, and I cannot gain weight

i cant gain weight either...i seem to just keep losing it...BLEK...

Sep 13 06 03:14 am Link

Sep 13 06 03:16 am Link

Model

Mary Domingo

Mandy Y wrote:

I'd kill to have your problem... ha ha....
-I just can't lose my weight... tongue

Sep 13 06 03:16 am Link

Photographer

global vision

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

i think the waif look/heroin chik is quite beautiful...cant be too skinny as far as i am concerned...as for the lil twits banning skinny girls.....i guess they must have no problems at all worth worrying about if that is their main concern in life.....asswipes

Sep 13 06 03:19 am Link

Photographer

global vision

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

i just thought of something horrible....what if they decide to force feed skinny models so they will look "healthy"  it will be like when they force feed ducks to fatten them up......model patte' can only be just around the corner!!!!  this whole spanish thing forcing models to eat could lead to canabalism even!!! (hows that for a leap in logic.......ya think i should run for office and become a politician!!!! > : )i guess i should go to bed now....big_smile

Sep 13 06 03:25 am Link

Photographer

digital_susie

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

dont get me wrong but I think the reason why alot of models a so skinny is because of there drug habbits. What I would like to see is, that they vanish drugs out of the entertainment and modeling industry. It really upsets me when I see these beautiful young girls come to me wanting to be a model yet they spend every weekend partying hard, understandable your young and all, but why not keep the partying for only specail occasions, and keep your liver lasting longer. I think if your going to be a model you need to be a healthy role model. Size doesnt matter, as long as your eyes dont look dead and life less. I dont think Kate Moss is to skinny all that other girl, but I have seen some really skinny chicks on the catwalk they looked like they were prisoners of war suffers, and made me shed a tear when I looked at them. I dont really like seeing that stuff at all. I like seeing victoria secret type models, they all look so vibrant and happy and makes me feel good about myself.

Im not one of these people who get all jealous because I dont have the body of a supermodel. To me its all about how I feel on the inside, excersice makes you feel better, and eating lighter foods make you feel more energetic. If I dont have a body like all you models It doesnt bother me because I happy with what Im doing with my life, and I know how much obsessing is required for the average person to look that good. And I think there more things to life than to be like counting every single calorie that you take in and you burn. It can be fun for a bit but imaging your whole life being like that. Go out there and enjoy your life, smell the roses, roll around in the grass and enjoy what you have and stop obsessing about what you dont have.

Sep 13 06 04:39 am Link

Model

Who Is Tonie

Louisville, Kentucky, US

DAMN, I was outraged by that report! I am a news transcriber and when I heard the report, why did most of my co-workers give me that look as if to say: Girl, they're talking about you skinny models! Some of us can't help that our metabolism is too high. But, I do feel that they should ban models who use eating disorders and hard drugs to lose weight (haven't they seen Whitney Houston!).

Sep 13 06 08:56 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Dammit. Dammit dammit dammit. Not that I ever had much of a chance of being a runway model in Spain...but really...it's the principle of the thing. Damn you Spain! *shakes fist angrily*

Sep 13 06 09:03 am Link

Model

S Skellington

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

I think there should be more variety. However skinny girls can't help being skinny, but if you need to starve yourself to be skinny, then that is fucked up. Skinny and non-skinny are beautiful, and good for diffrent things. They shouldn't band anything, maybe just start scattering models with a few extra lbs around.

Sep 13 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Mandy Y wrote:

I hear you. I'm 5 10 and rate not I'm the heavest I have ever been. I'm in at 115lbs. I cannt gain any real weight either. Maybe when im older and my body slows down. So what's teh point of this ban? What are they trying to accomplish? Smells of big brother to me.

Sep 13 06 09:19 am Link

Model

1Body

Once again, people in here seem to easily and readily take offense to something that not only does not effect them, but furthermore and at the very least, is attempting to help them, even if remotely.

So...Here we go.... ;-)

Let's keep it real. We ALL KNOW that the skinny thing has gotten waaayyy out of hand. Not talking about the naturally skinny, but the "Image" of "skinny"; e. g. healthy. To be so shortsighted and selfish to thing that regulation for elevation is not a positive thing is almost the damn dumbest thing one can do. No, this is not the slippery slope that so many of us fear. Nor is it hmm... American. It's Spain...when was the last time America adopted, or even adapted any policy from Spain? (That is rhetorical)

The real issue is the physical, and more importantly the mental health of millions of people who re influenced, at varying degrees, by not only the Fashion Industry, but Multimedia as a whole.

As for America, we seem to have given every effort to perpetuate this problem. The way we laude images manifested by Paris, Kate, Nicole, etc... it's a wonder why little girls aren't running out to get cosmetic surgery to "fine tune" a body that isn't fully developed. Wait...they ARE!!!

Image is powerful!!! For example...The Af-American community has long sense had issue with their/our portrayal in television and film. For years, the only roles available were those of maids, nannies, janitors, etc. True, there is nothing wrong with any of these professions, but the manner in which they are portrayed must be respected. Not only were the characters poor, but they were obviously less-educated, and had a tendency to be a bit verbose. This image was part of "Step and Fetchit." FYI The fight to regulate image portrayal is ongoing and neccesary. And SOMEBODY, whether government or private sector, has to not just take accountablilty, but take ACTION.

How many times do we have to sit through another "Troubled by an eating disorder" story? Let's cut the crap. 80-90% of these cases are "image-related."
Meaning...nature vs. nurture. Imagine noone telling you that there is something wrong with you. In turn, you continue on your path, uninhibited. However, once you are made aware of someone's perception of you, and your imperfection in their eyes, you are influenced. Still, you have the option to ingnore them or not. But in this world, America especially, we have a real problem with ignoring the opinions of others, except when it's a stupid idea...like someone telling you that you are not beautiful unless you look like a F@#$%ng hanger. Now, if you are naturally slim, IGNORE THIS! I, myself am naturally predisposed to being thinner, but that doesn't mean that I too cannot become a party to the problem.

A lot of people are going to be mad at me for this thougght, but who cares...:
"How far has civilization come? Did the Egyptians have "Eating Disorders?" The Aztecs, Incas, Romans, Greeks, etc...? Get where I'm going? The only time they had an eating disorder was when the food ran out. That is a real disorder.
Anything other than that is "man-made." Yes...manufactured. The first priority of a human is survival. Eating is essential to survival. Therefore, tampering with one's eating habits is not only illogical, but basically suicidal. There are no naturally present components within us that tell us that not eating or regurgitating our food is the path to a healthy life. WE...and I do mean WE, have crated this problem for ourselves, and now in our shame, we try to hide our head in denial, and then have the audacity to lash out at those who are will to speak out and take action against it. Sound familiar?

How many women have to suffer for something they can't control...being themselves?

Ranters repspond...I dare you. Oh, and when you respond, try to actually respond to what I said, not "how it made you feel." This ain't Oprah!

Sep 13 06 09:51 am Link

Model

1Body

Sep 13 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Mandy Y wrote:

up until a few years ago (at age 27 or so), i was about 130 lbs at 6ft tall (and i'm a guy!).  my waist was like a 28".  i could eat an entire pizza in one sitting, and often did.  now that i'm old, i'm more like 150 lbs - still thin, but no longer skinny.

Sep 13 06 10:13 am Link

Model

Katie Jorgensen

Eugene, Oregon, US

Let's play the blame game!
Saying that skinny models influence young girls enough to perpetuate eating disorders & therefore should be banned is like ME trying to say that models with big breasts should be banned, because it perpetuates women with smaller breasts (like me) to dangerously go under the knife to fit the norm. And that's just bullshit.
People need to take responsibility for themselves and their own actions. You are the way you are due to your own physcological weaknesses. If you have an eating disorder, sadly, it's your own personal fault. Kate Moss did not stick her finger down your throat, just as Heidi Klum didn't ask my tiny jugs to fit into her bra.

Sep 13 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Discrimination of any type has no place in my world...

Rich

Sep 13 06 10:50 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Rich Mohr wrote:
Discrimination of any type has no place in my world...

Rich

you must be terribly indecisive.

Sep 13 06 10:54 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Katie Jorgensen wrote:
Let's play the blame game!
Saying that skinny models influence young girls enough to perpetuate eating disorders & therefore should be banned is like ME trying to say that models with big breasts should be banned, because it perpetuates women with smaller breasts (like me) to dangerously go under the knife to fit the norm. And that's just bullshit.
People need to take responsibility for themselves and their own actions. You are the way you are due to your own physcological weaknesses. If you have an eating disorder, sadly, it's your own personal fault. Kate Moss did not stick her finger down your throat, just as Heidi Klum didn't ask my tiny jugs to fit into her bra.

I'm not sure fault or weakness is the right word, but eating disorders are much too complex to blame on a few simple media influences.  They're not just about being skinny, but people with little experience in the area often think they are.

Sep 13 06 10:57 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

theda wrote:

I'm not sure fault or weakness is the right word, but eating disorders are much too complex to blame on a few simple media influences.  They're not just about being skinny, but people with little experience in the area often think they are.

Good point.  Many times an eating disorder has more to do with 'controlling an aspect of the person's life' than it does with being skinny.  People will point as many fingers as possible at what they want to think the cause of the problem is.  I personally think it's just another change...fashion, trends, looks, styles...they change all the time.  Maybe this is just a swing back to the more 'voluptuous' look from the late 80's/early 90's.  Who knows?

Sep 13 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

theda wrote:

you must be terribly indecisive.

At times I can be. smile

Sep 13 06 11:14 am Link

Model

Nekkid Girl

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mandy Y wrote:

Me and you are in the exact same boat here Mandy! If this ban makes it to the us (which I doubt) we may never work in this industry again!

Sep 13 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

I don't care about size, but I do care about people trying to "ban" anything. If a designer wants to use thin to anorexic, that is his choice. If another designer wants to use more curvy, full figured women, that's cool too.

If there is another movement in the world as to what's now "Vogue" as far as figure, shape, color or size, and it catches on, every one else will follow. That's what fashion is.

BTW, I would prefer this 'cause it would definately make me happier to see more curvy women around. The thing I can't understand though are all the younger women running around in low rider pants with pot bellies hanging out. What's up with that?

Sep 13 06 11:20 am Link

Model

1Body

theda wrote:

Skinny Models have no power. Those responsible for placing them on a platform to be showcased to the world as a standard for beauty are in power and should be removed due to lack of compentency and responsibility. It would be nice if people would take resonsibility for their own actions, but they don't. The human mind is a big sponge. If it is bombarded with a certain model ,or idealogy, it's natural reaction is to attempt to accept, if not totally conform to it's source of influence.
The fact that we are having this discussion proves my point. If we would not have chosen to accept English as our language, or the fact that cars must be driven on a certain side of the street, there would be chaos. Therefore, it is human neccecity that warrants our desire for uniformity, conformity, or basic acceptance.

The media plays into this WAY more than most are willing to acknowledge.

If you don't think that we are constantly being influenced, then ponder our current state of the "National Irrational." How long did it take Americans to figure out that the War(reluctant to call it that) in the middle East was/is a load of bullshit? And we still haven't done anything but sit around and talk about it....

Eating Disorder Solution: EAT!!! Very simple task. You come naturally equipped with all the tools required. Anything more complx is conjecture. Need a tissue?

Sep 13 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

MsChris wrote:

Me and you are in the exact same boat here Mandy! If this ban makes it to the us (which I doubt) we may never work in this industry again!

Beauty is beauty! Period! You two will continue to work, and that's a fact.

Sep 13 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

TheeBlueRoom wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/09/13/spain.models/index.html

Is this short sighted or a step in the right direction?

A quote from another post. Another post on this already?

Sep 13 06 11:25 am Link

Model

1Body

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
I don't care about size, but I do care about people trying to "ban" anything. If a designer wants to use thin to anorexic, that is his choice.

Some things need to be "banned."

Such as: Slavery, rape, molestation, random and even calculated acts of violence, etc... NO! BAN some shit!

Besides...banning something does not take it out of exisetence, it just shows the detriment one is placed in, or places others in, while commiting this act. You know...Criminalization.

Potbellied teens in low-riding jeans...that shit is CRIMINAL! LOL but I'm serious!

Sep 13 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

c'mon now this is an internet forum. extreme positions must be taken and hardened. i'm especially impressed with the models are drug addicts explanation. the whole subject is particularly problematic when obesity has reached epidemic proportions, until now more suffer from the negative effects of obesity than the negative effects of starvation.

it is an extreme world. opinion... politics.,.. personal health... economics... the middle gets lots of lipservice, but its the extremes that grow larger at the expense of the center.

there will be many attempts, by many people to slow the rush to the edges. i don't see most of you objecting to schools limiting access to problem foods to attempt to get control of obesity, but when the spanish make an attempt at the other end of the spectrum you call it evil. this cuts all ways.

i could argue this from all sides. all are right and wrong.

Sep 13 06 11:31 am Link

Model

1Body

oldguysrule wrote:
c'mon now this is an internet forum. extreme positions must be taken and hardened. i'm especially impressed with the models are drug addicts explanation. the whole subject is particularly problematic when obesity has reached epidemic proportions, until now more suffer from the negative effects of obesity than the negative effects of starvation.

it is an extreme world. opinion... politics.,.. personal health... economics... the middle gets lots of lipservice, but its the extremes that grow larger at the expense of the center.

there will be many attempts, by many people to slow the rush to the edges. i don't see most of you objecting to schools limiting access to problem foods to attempt to get control of obesity, but when the spanish make an attempt at the other end of the spectrum you call it evil. this cuts all ways.

i could argue this from all sides. all are right and wrong.

Here...here!!! You're right...but wrong about me... LOL :-)

Sep 13 06 11:41 am Link

Model

Idaho

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Wes Hall wrote:
Once again, people in here seem to easily and readily take offense to something that not only does not effect them, but furthermore and at the very least, is attempting to help them, even if remotely.

So...Here we go.... ;-)

Let's keep it real. We ALL KNOW that the skinny thing has gotten waaayyy out of hand. Not talking about the naturally skinny, but the "Image" of "skinny"; e. g. healthy. To be so shortsighted and selfish to thing that regulation for elevation is not a positive thing is almost the damn dumbest thing one can do. No, this is not the slippery slope that so many of us fear. Nor is it hmm... American. It's Spain...when was the last time America adopted, or even adapted any policy from Spain? (That is rhetorical)

The real issue is the physical, and more importantly the mental health of millions of people who re influenced, at varying degrees, by not only the Fashion Industry, but Multimedia as a whole.

As for America, we seem to have given every effort to perpetuate this problem. The way we laude images manifested by Paris, Kate, Nicole, etc... it's a wonder why little girls aren't running out to get cosmetic surgery to "fine tune" a body that isn't fully developed. Wait...they ARE!!!

Image is powerful!!! For example...The Af-American community has long sense had issue with their/our portrayal in television and film. For years, the only roles available were those of maids, nannies, janitors, etc. True, there is nothing wrong with any of these professions, but the manner in which they are portrayed must be respected. Not only were the characters poor, but they were obviously less-educated, and had a tendency to be a bit verbose. This image was part of "Step and Fetchit." FYI The fight to regulate image portrayal is ongoing and neccesary. And SOMEBODY, whether government or private sector, has to not just take accountablilty, but take ACTION.

How many times do we have to sit through another "Troubled by an eating disorder" story? Let's cut the crap. 80-90% of these cases are "image-related."
Meaning...nature vs. nurture. Imagine noone telling you that there is something wrong with you. In turn, you continue on your path, uninhibited. However, once you are made aware of someone's perception of you, and your imperfection in their eyes, you are influenced. Still, you have the option to ingnore them or not. But in this world, America especially, we have a real problem with ignoring the opinions of others, except when it's a stupid idea...like someone telling you that you are not beautiful unless you look like a F@#$%ng hanger. Now, if you are naturally slim, IGNORE THIS! I, myself am naturally predisposed to being thinner, but that doesn't mean that I too cannot become a party to the problem.

A lot of people are going to be mad at me for this thougght, but who cares...:
"How far has civilization come? Did the Egyptians have "Eating Disorders?" The Aztecs, Incas, Romans, Greeks, etc...? Get where I'm going? The only time they had an eating disorder was when the food ran out. That is a real disorder.
Anything other than that is "man-made." Yes...manufactured. The first priority of a human is survival. Eating is essential to survival. Therefore, tampering with one's eating habits is not only illogical, but basically suicidal. There are no naturally present components within us that tell us that not eating or regurgitating our food is the path to a healthy life. WE...and I do mean WE, have crated this problem for ourselves, and now in our shame, we try to hide our head in denial, and then have the audacity to lash out at those who are will to speak out and take action against it. Sound familiar?

How many women have to suffer for something they can't control...being themselves?

Ranters repspond...I dare you. Oh, and when you respond, try to actually respond to what I said, not "how it made you feel." This ain't Oprah!

Is it all right if I call you "Mr Keeping it Real"?

Sep 13 06 11:41 am Link

Model

1Body

Idaho Edokpayi wrote:
Is it all right if I call you "Mr Keeping it Real"?

Damnit Man, I'm a doctor! LOL

Sep 13 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

The only good thing to come out of Spain is Christopher Columbus and even he was lost big_smile

Sep 13 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Milan too? Egad.

I can still photograph them though, right?

Sep 13 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

If skinny models are banned...will photographers be buying more wide angle lenses?

Sep 13 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I don't think it's healthy for Auschwitz level thin models to be the epitome of beauty, and a look young girls aspire to, but I also don't think it's any of the government's business. Threatening legislation is absurd.

Sep 13 06 11:55 am Link

Model

1Body

C R Photography wrote:
The only good thing to come out of Spain is Christopher Columbus and even he was lost big_smile

AMEN!!!   And he had the nerve to call the indigenous people, "Indians."  (Shaking my head)

Sep 13 06 11:56 am Link