Forums > General Industry > problems w/photographer

Photographer

N_3

Chicago, Illinois, US

Star wrote:
In TFP it all about what you agree on beforehand

Even more so with paid shoots.

Star wrote:
Everything I shoot is a college project,look at my avatar, if a model wishes to work with me based on my images than that is what they wish to work with me on.

I don't know, but I get the feeling that there were a lot of students and possibly instructors milling about for this shoot.  It sounds a little "public" to me, and I can see how that would make a TFP model feel uneasy.  If you were to tell me that we'd be working in a studio, I would think it was YOUR studio, not a classroom (and I HAVE seen classrooms as big as the one you work in).  If you rented the studio, I'd expect you to be forthcoming with that info, too.  Granted, Sunny should have asked what the studio situation would be like. I'm not saying that she's totally without blame here, but you present yourself as a photographer who knows what she's doing and in control of her own domain, which places an awful lot of responsibility on you to make sure that things go as smoothly as possible - and by letting her wander aimlessly outside and telling her to ask others how to find you, I don't think you lived up to that responsibility.   I still get the feeling that Sunny worked a lot harder than you did to try and make this happen.

Star wrote:
Also I have a 6 page TFP letter I send to all models who want to work with me on that basis.

That letter states that the model is expected to help with break down. If she didn't want to than she shouldn't have agreed.

Just for the record, again, Sunny's entire involvement with set-up and break down involved putting up one c-stand, and getting a white background in place.

Okay, if that's what she agreed to, then that's on her.  But I would submit that your cold greeting to her, combined with her lack of familiarity with set setup and breakdown, isn't one that would motivate too many people to lend much of a helping hand.

Star wrote:
About wardrobe, if you are wearing someone elses clothes, like a velevet dress, and it was folded or hung up when you received it than you are responsible for putting it away, that is just plain decency.

If I handed it to her on a hanger, I would expect to take it back from her on the hanger so I could take a look at it for cleaning or wear and tear.  If I had it folded on a shelf, I would expect that *I* would be folding it and putting it back on the shelf AFTER I inspected it or washed it for the next model.

Star wrote:
The fact is, once again Sunny and I didn't click. She inspired me not at all.

You make this sound like it's HER fault.  You're the one who bears ALL the responsibility for your own inspiration.  Now if she's uncooperative and won't do what it takes to get the shot, that's a different story. But I get the feeling that she was willing to work, and you were dismissive right from the start.

Star wrote:
I chose not to work with her again. I tried on numerous occasions to get the images to her but she doesn't understand simple things like how much memory her e-mail account has or what a returned mailer damon is.

I still feel like you're the one who couldn't adapt here.  If you're more computer literate than she is, you should already know that it's nearly impossoble to send a complete set of images into ANYONE'S inbox.  Depending on the resolution you're shooting, you'd be lucky to send even 10 images to her.  You should also know that she doesn't get a message that says the mailer-daemon is attempting to send a huge e-mail to her... so from her end, that just sounds like an excuse.  Her inbox might hold up to 2GB, but most e-mail clients only allow YOU to send 10MB an hour. 

Star wrote:
I tried and tried but she was very unprofessional and rude and she was taking up time that I could have spent on models who weren't like that.

"Unprofessional" is a word that gets thrown around way too much around here.  And your dismissiave attitude continues.  Don't forget that TFP images are equivalent to money... if she did the work and you're the only one with images, then you're in debted to her, and bear the lion's share of getting the images to her.  In a professional situation, it doesn't matter what the reasons are, not coming through with what you owe are just empty excuses.

Star wrote:
To this day she denies there was a make-up artist present.

She DOES have some 'splainin' to do about whose hand that is.

I think that BOTH of you have said some things that are either untrue, or that you simply wish you hadn't have said.  I also realize which one of you came bitching and moaning in a thread here on MM... and I understand your desire for rebuttal as well as respecting your integrity for having the balls(?) to make an appearance.  I still think that she put in more effort to try and make this session fly than you did, and a lot of your off-putting remarks toward her only reinforce that for me.   Again, I'm not saying that Sunny is completely squeaky clean in this... and judging from the other posts in here, I seem to be holding a rather unpopular position, so I apologize for focusing my microscope more on you than on her... but do you think that *none* of this is on you? 

A question that should be posed to Sunny, as well.

BTW Star, I looked at your port and I think you're an outstanding photographer. It's obvious that you've had many more successful sessions than this one.  Further, I'm glad that none of my flops have been aired in a public forum like this.  So I DO respect you for making an appearance, thereby holding yourself up to public scrutiny the way you have.

-Ned

Aug 23 06 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Aug 23 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

LNV Innovations

Spring, Texas, US

And I call myself an amateur! I guess there is amateur like that and professional amateur.

Aug 23 06 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Pixel-Magic Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
So true!! I shot Nicole Sione MM # 28530 and would you believe I showed up with a battery that had less than 40% remaining on the battery?!  So here I am, at BEACH, with this beautiful model who was recently informed that she made Maxim's 2006 Hometown Hotties Top 10 and an MUA.  I nearly messed myself and seriously...I WANTED to cry.  I felt like a stupid irresponsible asshole.  All I said was, I'll be right back! and I ran off with the battery and charger.  I found a local who was willing to plug it in for me at his home but I'd have to wait 45 minutes.  Now, for those that know me, I shoot my beach sessions late in the evenings to get normal daylight shoots and then sunsets.  45 minutes is a LOT of lost light.  What are you going to do?

To her credit, after I admitted my stupidity, she simply smiled, shrugged her shoulders and told me to not worry about it.  I was all ready to get some nasty look or even a word or two about wasting her time.  And for all I know, that's how she felt.  Instead, she was gracious about it.  And wouldn't you know it, we got some of the best shots I've ever gotten. big_smile

You're right, things happen.  But it's what we do afterwards that shows people who we REALLY are.

A wonderful story that shows that decent people admit mistakes and handle them well. Congrats to you and the gracious model.

As for the OP and the photog, neither seems too mature to me, I would not wish to work with either one of them.

Sep 18 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

RRCPhoto

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Pixel-Magic Photography wrote:
As for the OP and the photog, neither seems too mature to me, I would not wish to work with either one of them.

I don't know if I'd agree with that.  OP should realize that at times, especially on  TFP/CD shoot - things can happen.  I don't think Star really did anything out of the ordinary, and the fact that she did attempt to email the images as requested, and they bounced indicates she did attempt due dilegence.  Personally, if I was Star, I'd cut a DVD with the images, courier it to her address with signature required, and at the same time give her a "it's all about me" t-shirt and call it a day.

Sep 19 06 12:06 pm Link