Forums > General Industry > Obesity and models

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

Myopic Earache wrote:
What?  You think I'm a jerk for being honest and not PC about an issue that is plaguing the planet and is only getting worse? 

I may be a jerk about it but the truth of the matter is the problem the more people embace the problem, the worse it gets.  Look at HIV in Africa.  Ignore a problem and it will get worse.  Make the solution as part of the national health care system and eliminate choice on whether to get tested or not will lead to higher awareness and hopefully lead to a cessation of the spread.  That approach should be applied to the USA.

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
What national healthcare system?  You're not a jerk...you're delusional.

Well see, there you go.  Uganda and their national healthcare system.  You know, Uganda who has the most successful national response to the HIV issue to date? You know, the Uganda in Africa?

Boy, don't you feel like a moron.

Aug 03 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

dee740 wrote:

well it depends on what type of job you have. For instance, I'm in a management posiiton at my job, and my schedule rotates. there would be no real way for me to make any extra money on the side consistently  because of that. I've been looking for a more convenient job for a year now.

I'm single. Imagine someone with pressing responsibilities like children or spouses. Then things get more complicated don't they?

Well, are you here on MM to get paid for modeling?  Then you're trying to earn more money -- good for you.   
As far as families go, you shouldn't have children if you can't afford them.  Period.  People choose to have babies and must be held accountable for those decisions.  No one ''accidentally'' has sex and gets pregnant.

Aug 03 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

jayedwards wrote:

It would be much less, I suspect.  But only if the people will follow the dietary guidelines they are given but I don't see that happening.

With proper education I think it would make a monumental difference. . .

The plain truth of the matter is, people eat unhealthy for a few reasons:

1) Lack of knowledge, they just dont know how to eat healhy, they were never taught

2) Lack of money, junk food is much cheaper and quicker, just pop it in the microwave and viola, dinner is server.

3) convenience of fast food is overwhelming these days, we live in a society of "I want it now, and I want it cheap"

now granted, I will agree that no matter how much education there is, and how much subsidy there is, there are always going to be people who dont care, or just choose to do what they want, so you will never ever get rid of all of the issues, but I do believe that it can reduce dramatically

Aug 03 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Tikal wrote:

Because you want me to say if you dont make enough money get a better job and Im tell you that you dont turn into a Hilton over night and you cant lose weight at the drop of a hat, people are raised that way and not every body can be Bill Gates just because you say so.

Wow, you still won't answer a very simple question.  I don't want you to say anything other than to give your answer in your own words.  Apparently I've asked too much of you.  Oh, and stop trying to put words in my mouth or misquote me -- it only makes you look foolish.

Aug 03 06 04:28 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Myopic Earache wrote:

OMG, let's not even go there.   My mother was the a single mother with three children and while juggling a few jobs here/there while pursuing a child development degree.  She always made sure we ate a good diet and weren't sitting in front of the television.  Everything we had was activity related and we were always doing something.  She taught us good diet and exercise (I wish my brother remembered, he ballooned over the past few years)... so let's not EVEN start down this road.  Single parents can do it, mine is living proof.

I'll go wherever I chose. I know that it's harder for me to eat healthy than to eat badly, and it's typically the same with everyone else.

Edit: I have no idea what it's like to be a single parent or to grow up in that type of household. But I can only imagine that if you had a great diet, you were probably missing out on something else with four people to support in that household. 
I grew up with two parents one with her juris doctor and the other with a MBA. I am an only child.They made money and they hardly had time period due to their schedules. So I could just imagine it would be harder if you made less money and worked two jobs and had a lot of kids.

Aug 03 06 04:29 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Myopic Earache wrote:

OMG, let's not even go there.   My mother was the a single mother with three children and while juggling a few jobs here/there while pursuing a child development degree.  She always made sure we ate a good diet and weren't sitting in front of the television.  Everything we had was activity related and we were always doing something.  She taught us good diet and exercise (I wish my brother remembered, he ballooned over the past few years)... so let's not EVEN start down this road.  Single parents can do it, mine is living proof.

I'll go wherever I chose. I know that it's harder for me to eat healthy than to eat badly, and it's typically the same with everyone else.

Edit: I have no idea what it's like to be a single parent or to grow up in that type of household. But I can only imagine that if you had a great diet, you were probably missing out on something else with four people to support in that household. 
I grew up with two parents one with her juris doctor and the other with a MBA. I am an only child.They made money and they hardly had time period due to their schedules. So I could just imagine it would be harder if you made less money and worked two jobs and had a lot of kids.

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Myopic Earache wrote:

Myopic Earache wrote:
What?  You think I'm a jerk for being honest and not PC about an issue that is plaguing the planet and is only getting worse? 

I may be a jerk about it but the truth of the matter is the problem the more people embace the problem, the worse it gets.  Look at HIV in Africa.  Ignore a problem and it will get worse.  Make the solution as part of the national health care system and eliminate choice on whether to get tested or not will lead to higher awareness and hopefully lead to a cessation of the spread.  That approach should be applied to the USA.

Well see, there you go.  Uganda and their national healthcare system.  You know, Uganda who has the most successful national response to the HIV issue to date?

Boy, don't you feel like a moron.

No I don't.  You don't have the power to make me feel like anything.  Nice try though.

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
No I don't.  You don't have the power to make me feel like anything.  Nice try though.

Well you sure look like one.  So do you desire to actually ADD to the conversation?

- or -

Make these ridiculous insults and half-baked theories of delusion and essentially suck up space?

Aug 03 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

jayedwards wrote:

Well, are you here on MM to get paid for modeling?  Then you're trying to earn more money -- good for you.   
As far as families go, you shouldn't have children if you can't afford them.  Period.  People choose to have babies and must be held accountable for those decisions.  No one ''accidentally'' has sex and gets pregnant.

Well if only life were so perfect. Keep living, maybe you'll make mistakes and have to hustle to get out of a rut.

Aug 03 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Prairie Town Production

Topeka, Kansas, US

Some photographers are fat heads and some models still work with them. Beauty knows no size, shape, age or color.

Aug 03 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

dee740 wrote:

That is precisely it, the reason obesity is an epidemic is because it's easier to eat badly than healthy. 

Yeah, we missed out on a few things but grew up well rounded and streetsmart because of it.  My mother was the first of her siblings to earn a bachelors and I was the first to earn a BFA as well.

Aug 03 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

dee740 wrote:

Well if only life were so perfect. Keep living, maybe you'll make mistakes and have to hustle to get out of a rut.

Never said life is perfect -- where did you get that from?  I've made plenty of mistakes and walked out of several ruts.  Why do you think I believe what I believe?  Anyway, it's time to get back to work.  I enjoyed the discussion, people.

Aug 03 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Blackmirror Photogenics

New York, New York, US

RED Photographic wrote:

Hear hear!

Co-sign. The OP can't be serious.

Aug 03 06 04:39 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

dee740 wrote:
There's  no EASY button.

Yeah huh!  I saw it on TV!!  *giggle*

Love your new av btw.

Aug 03 06 04:43 pm Link

Model

Charisteen

Park Forest, Illinois, US

jayedwards wrote:
It's amazing to read the posts from people who think the food industry should make the healthy food cheap, the unhealthy food expensive, bemoan the lack of their particular juice at a restaurant, complain about the abundance of sodas on the menu, and generally blame someone else for their unhealthy diet.  Hey people!  Shop somewhere else, make your own meals, drink water instead of soda and stop blaming others for what you choose to put in your mouth.  If you can't afford to buy healthy food then get a better job or just eat less of the other stuff so you don't gain weight.  Why is this so difficult to understand?  Most of the overweight people became overweight due to their food choices.  Just say no.

You must not understand that America is the only advanced industrialized nation on this planet (and one of the top nations) AND  we're the only ones that don't allow people to know that they're eating fake or adjusted food.

Not just food that has be selectively bred or cross bred... but created and recreated.

Genetically Modified fruits and vegetables and food containing them ARE "NOT" LABELLED HERE

It's not fair to make someone eat something that is not even real anymore.  Once you change a gene... you have changed the organism.  It has a new name.  A new genus, species, whatever. 

Yet, we're not allowed to know that real banana, tomoatoes, and oranges haven't been eatin in this country for years.  Those oranges have 1/3 the nutrients of an organic orange.  So they should be blamed.  IF you ate rice cakes forever you'd die.  Empty food.  You can still be full (of fruit not candy) and be malnourished.. because in order for your body to get it's nourishment... you have to eat more... which means buy more... which means give them more money.   

Basically, you can eat junk food = more calories, less nutrition

or you can cook grocery foo = same thing because if your body isn't nourished you will still be hungry no matter what you eat.

Also
the genetically modified fruits, veggies, and now animals (chicken) create new waste products.  Every cell creates waste.  That's why we pee.

But they create "new" waste products.  Some of them human bodies have a hard time processing or cannot.  Do you wanna be the person that ingests a new version of some thing with a new genetic code and a new protein that your body/human bodies have never been exposed to and once you eat it and break it down, the proteins turn into toxic neurotoxins or kill your Kidneys(unknowingly because they wont label it once approved and also won't warn you you're in a testing zone)

This stuff has happened.  For real!   Whole groups of people die, are sickened, and it's swept under the rug.  The FDA doens't want it out.  There are plenty of "case studies" (that's what they call them).  No publicity.

Do you wanna eat this crap?  Our whole country is really really hungry because we either eat "unsatisfying (nutrients) good food"  or  "satisfying (taste/calories) bad food". 

Check the nutrient counts on everything we eat.  Way down from where they were 30 years ago. (not the calories/fat, just the vitamens, minerals, nutrients, proteins, and acids) This is after they went thru alot of restructering to increase hardiness, and the number of crops per year, and irrigation sensitivity crap.

While there was alotta work in the past 50 years to increase Food Availability.  Nothing was done to warrant a reduction in quality.  And since you are what you eat... We need to pay attention.  What good is 4-5 crops per year if they are 1/10th as good ?

WE NEED TO MAKE A MOVEMENT.

Aug 03 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Yeah huh!  I saw it on TV!!  *giggle*

Love your new av btw.

thanks I love the new pics in your port as well. Checked you out a few days ago. We gotta talk about art modeling when you have time.

Aug 03 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Myopic Earache wrote:

Well you sure look like one.  So do you desire to actually ADD to the conversation?

- or -

Make these ridiculous insults and half-baked theories of delusion and essentially suck up space?

I think you're doing a good enough job of sucking for all of us.

Aug 03 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I think you're doing a good enough job of sucking for all of us.

HAHA, more fluff, no meat.  I'd say thank you but you gave me no substance to thank.

Face it kid, you have nothing to add. 

When you have nothing to add you're just sucking up space.

Aug 03 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

This is annoying.. Because there's 2 seperate threads in here and no one is bothering to split them apart..

Thread one - the OP's point (and I'll paraphrase): Ew! Fat people are icky and should be gone from my sight!

Thread two: Health is an important issue, but what should be done and who carries the burden?

Can anyone else pick out who's arguing for/against one, and who's arguing for/against the other?

I can't.. I'm lost..

Aug 03 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

Charisteen

WG Rowland wrote:
This is annoying.. Because there's 2 seperate threads in here and no one is bothering to split them apart..

Thread one - the OP's point (and I'll paraphrase): Ew! Fat people are icky and should be gone from my sight!

Thread two: Health is an important issue, but what should be done and who carries the burden?

Can anyone else pick out who's arguing for/against one, and who's arguing for/against the other?

I can't.. I'm lost..

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!  lol

As you can see, I'm very passionate about this food industry thing
I think it's why Cancer is now the #1 killer in America

But yah these threads need to be split, because I most certainly DONT think fat people are icky... I just hate not having the choice to eat healthy unless you're rich.

Everyone should have access to healthy food.  And everyone should be able to afford  to eat basic food (it may sound crazy, but McDonalds is cheaper for some families).

Aug 03 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Charisteen wrote:

You must not understand that America is the only advanced industrialized nation on this planet (and one of the top nations) AND  we're the only ones that don't allow people to know that they're eating fake or adjusted food.

Not just food that has be selectively bred or cross bred... but created and recreated.

Genetically Modified fruits and vegetables and food containing them ARE "NOT" LABELLED HERE

It's not fair to make someone eat something that is not even real anymore.  Once you change a gene... you have changed the organism.  It has a new name.  A new genus, species, whatever. 

Yet, we're not allowed to know that real banana, tomoatoes, and oranges haven't been eatin in this country for years.  Those oranges have 1/3 the nutrients of an organic orange.  So they should be blamed.  IF you ate rice cakes forever you'd die.  Empty food.  You can still be full (of fruit not candy) and be malnourished.. because in order for your body to get it's nourishment... you have to eat more... which means buy more... which means give them more money.   

or you can cook grocery foo = same thing because if your body isn't nourished you will still be hungry no matter what you eat.

Also
the genetically modified fruits, veggies, and now animals (chicken) create new waste products.  Every cell creates waste.  That's why we pee.

But they create "new" waste products.  Some of them human bodies have a hard time processing or cannot.  Do you wanna be the person that ingests a new version of some thing with a new genetic code and a new protein that your body/human bodies have never been exposed to and once you eat it and break it down, the proteins turn into toxic neurotoxins or kill your Kidneys(unknowingly because they wont label it once approved and also won't warn you you're in a testing zone)

This stuff has happened.  For real!   Whole groups of people die, are sickened, and it's swept under the rug.  The FDA doens't want it out.  There are plenty of "case studies" (that's what they call them).  No publicity.

Do you wanna eat this crap?  Our whole country is really really hungry because we either eat "unsatisfying (nutrients) good food"  or  "satisfying (taste/calories) bad food". 

Check the nutrient counts on everything we eat.  Way down from where they were 30 years ago. (not the calories/fat, just the vitamens, minerals, nutrients, proteins, and acids) This is after they went thru alot of restructering to increase hardiness, and the number of crops per year, and irrigation sensitivity crap.

While there was alotta work in the past 50 years to increase Food Availability.  Nothing was done to warrant a reduction in quality.  And since you are what you eat... We need to pay attention.  What good is 4-5 crops per year if they are 1/10th as good ?

So, you're saying that genetically-engineered foods are the cause of obesity?  Can you back this up with some facts? A scientific survey?  A government report?

Aug 03 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

Charisteen

jayedwards wrote:

So, you're saying that genetically-engineered foods are the cause of obesity?  Can you back this up with some facts? A scientific survey?  A government report?

LOL

I was waiting on that from somebody!  Yes, I can... I promise you.

But, not off my head right now.  This is leftover information from several college classes (i took an elective, got interested, and took more food history and food process electives, although marketing major... LOL)

I will start my own thread about it.  I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE INTERSTED?

Aug 03 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

Charisteen wrote:

Also

Yeah!!!
By Presidential Executive Order, the US had defined GMO seeds as harmless and hence not needing to be regulated for health and safety. It made sure this principle was carried over into the new WTO in the form of the WTO’s Sanitary and Phytosanitary Agreement (SPS), which stated, ‘Food standards and measures aimed at protecting people from pests or animals can potentially be used as a deliberate barrier to trade.’ The US charge against the EU in the present GMO dispute charged the EU with violation of the SPS agreement of WTO.

Other WTO rules in the Agreement to Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) forbid member countries from using domestic standards or testing, food safety laws, product standards, calling them an ‘unfair barrier to trade.’

The impact of those two US-mandated WTO rulings meant that Washington could threaten that any government restricting import of GM plants on grounds they might pose threats to health and safety of their population, could be found to be in violation of WTO free trade rules!

This is what the US Government, on behalf of its agribusiness private corporations has done against the EU restrictions on GMO.

Under the WTO’s Technical Barriers to Trade, the US has argued that no labelling of GMO plants was required, as the plants have not been ‘substantially transformed’ from normal or non-GM soya, corn or other plants. This conveniently ignored the fact that Washington simultaneously insisted that GMOs, due to the genetic engineering process, are sufficiently transformed, i.e. NOT equivalent, to be patented as ‘original’, and protected under WTO TRIPS intellectual property patent rights. (2).

Aug 03 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Haleh Bryan

_jade_ wrote:
I don't agree that obesity or anorexia should be glamourized.  Both body types are unhealthy, and there's nothing good that comes out of being any of the two.  I think the mainstream fashion industry needs to put out a more healthy looking image.  I'd much rather see a model with a nice figure (actually having breasts, hips and booty), in a magazine rather than seeing a girl with a body of a 12 yr-old boy.  It's great to have meat on your bones, but too much, I mean honestly, isn't attractive.... and modeling IS all about looks.

Like promoting Kate Moss even after she was caught sniffing on top of having an eating disorder! If anything she is way richer now with more lucrative endorsements. The entertainment business is driven by publicity...promoting healthy behavior is not on their list of priorities.

Aug 03 06 05:15 pm Link

Model

Charisteen

Taray Jennings wrote:

Yeah!!!
By Presidential Executive Order, the US had defined GMO seeds as harmless and hence not needing to be regulated for health and safety. It made sure this principle was carried over into the new WTO in the form of the WTO’s Sanitary and Phytosanitary Agreement (SPS), which stated, ‘Food standards and measures aimed at protecting people from pests or animals can potentially be used as a deliberate barrier to trade.’ The US charge against the EU in the present GMO dispute charged the EU with violation of the SPS agreement of WTO.

Other WTO rules in the Agreement to Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) forbid member countries from using domestic standards or testing, food safety laws, product standards, calling them an ‘unfair barrier to trade.’

The impact of those two US-mandated WTO rulings meant that Washington could threaten that any government restricting import of GM plants on grounds they might pose threats to health and safety of their population, could be found to be in violation of WTO free trade rules!

This is what the US Government, on behalf of its agribusiness private corporations has done against the EU restrictions on GMO.

Under the WTO’s Technical Barriers to Trade, the US has argued that no labelling of GMO plants was required, as the plants have not been ‘substantially transformed’ from normal or non-GM soya, corn or other plants. This conveniently ignored the fact that Washington simultaneously insisted that GMOs, due to the genetic engineering process, are sufficiently transformed, i.e. NOT equivalent, to be patented as ‘original’, and protected under WTO TRIPS intellectual property patent rights. (2).

WOW THANX !!

That's right on time.  Y'all got me digging thru boxes in my closet to find my FSHN BOOKS !! (not fashion!  Food, Science, Health, and Nutrition!!)

That was the ruling that allowed them to go haywire, and not educate a single American that they changed food. 

But it goes so much farther. Thanx alot Taray Jennings.  At least now I don't sound like "ALL" FLUFF !  lol

Aug 03 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Joi Carey

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Leo Howard wrote:

You're just sexy as heck, and I mean that!

Aww thanks Leo smile

Aug 03 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

Sarah Deathriage

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Back to the original post..Any other photogs feel the same way about plus models. Might as well out yourself, lol. If you dislike models of certain size, height or have requirements maybe they should be stated in your profiles..

I don't like perverted photographers that's my hang up. 
-Sarah

Aug 03 06 05:28 pm Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

Myopic Earache wrote:

First off I have to say good for you, it's great to see someone go through such a dramatic weight loss.  You say more with your photos than your words.

I don't know.... who is bashing fat people?  Let me make my position very clear:

I don't hate fat people, I hate obeseity.  My brother is obese, hes 6'2, 320 or so.  Do I hate him?  No.  Do I put him down?  No.  Do I talk to him and encourage him to lose weight?  Yes.

I do hate my tax dollars going towards programs to treat what can be prevented with regular exercise and good diet.

Thats it.

Quite obviously the reason this thread is not locked is because it's and interesting conversation where people are speaking their minds.

Thank you for the compliment.... Do read over your posts again... The common thread is that something is missing, that the obese person doesn't get it, that the obese person just needs to have more self-control, etc. etc...   

Having been there done that in terms of once weighing almost 400 lbs, I can tell you that your tax dollars aren't being spent on obese people.... Obesity is not restricted to any age group, ethnic group, socioeconomic group, etc.... If anything, the great majority of seriously morbidly obese people that I know (including myself) are very intelligent and succeed in all other areas with the exception of their weight.  Food can act as a wonderful way to self medicate from the stressors of a high management job, etc....  Yes, it comes down to one eating too many calories and not burning enough off via exercise, but the great majority of morbidly obese people aren't sitting at home all day watching tv and eating bon bons (such as the stereotype would have one believe)....

Also, weight loss programs are usually NOT covered by insurance.  It is the obese person him/herself who pays the $500 a month to be on a medically supervised liquid fast, $30K for gastric bypass surgery (not all the time but in many cases), $700 a year for the gym, etc. etc.

And I'm sorry, but your saying you don't hate fat people is like someone saying "I don't hate gay people as long as they don't come near me."  At least this has been your tone throughout this thread...

Caroline
-225 lbs @ goal
https://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL11/1444166/9929838/152121773.jpg

Aug 03 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

WOW THANX !!

That's right on time.  Y'all got me digging thru boxes in my closet to find my FSHN BOOKS !! (not fashion!  Food, Science, Health, and Nutrition!!)

That was the ruling that allowed them to go haywire, and not educate a single American that they changed food. 

But it goes so much farther. Thanx alot Taray Jennings.  At least now I don't sound like "ALL" FLUFF !  lol

My pleasure. I understand you are going to start a thread on this crap. GOOD FOR YOU!
The sooner the better.
But I think we hyjacked the thread.
(Sorry MMers)

Aug 03 06 05:37 pm Link

Model

melissa mcintosh

Plano, Texas, US

Have people forgotten that in the 50's and 60's the big thing was pin up girls they were bigger sized had a goddess look to them and men thought they were sexy as hell. Now the pinup look is back bigger and better than ever. Look at Marilyn Monroe and  Betty Page they were certainly bigger than a size 2 and they were beautiful

Aug 03 06 05:57 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Caroline, your contributions to this thread have been interesting and informative.  Thank you for participating.  I, for one, appreciate it.

And to those who are participating in this thread under the guise of concern about fat people's health...

Sorry, I don't buy it.  If you're going to be a bigot, at least have the courage of your convictions, and stop trying to hide your dislike behind some patronizing and patently false concern about our health.

Nobody on this thread cares whether or not I am healthy, except for me, and certainly not the people making "massive" puns and talking about how we all "smell."  Give me a break.  Apparently being fat also means being stupid, if you think we're believing that.

If you were genuinely THAT concerned about the overall health of our nation, you wouldn't be targeting solely fat people.  Why do I say that?  Because there are unhealthy people of all shapes and sizes.  You cannot tell by looking who is healthy.  There are plenty of unhealthy thin people, just like there are plenty of fat people.  Just look at how often it's considered cute if a thin model on here brags about eating an entire pizza and never exercising.  (Announcements like that are charming if you're petite, right?)  Or look at the myriad examples of healthy fat folks who exercise more than your average American, like the fat dance troupes out there such as Big Burlesque or Big Moves.

The whole "health concern" argument is predicated solely on appearance and on shallow surface assumptions and judgments. 

And this is why my fat ass will continue to participate in the creation of art that is lasting and meaningful beautiful and shows (because images have a way of doing things that words can't) that value and worth are not determined by size.

Aug 03 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Shyly wrote:
Caroline, your contributions to this thread have been interesting and informative.  Thank you for participating.  I, for one, appreciate it.

And to those who are participating in this thread under the guise of concern about fat people's health...

Sorry, I don't buy it.  If you're going to be a bigot, at least have the courage of your convictions, and stop trying to hide your dislike behind some patronizing and patently false concern about our health.

Nobody on this thread cares whether or not I am healthy, except for me, and certainly not the people making "massive" puns and talking about how we all "smell."  Give me a break.  Apparently being fat also means being stupid, if you think we're believing that.

If you were genuinely THAT concerned about the overall health of our nation, you wouldn't be targeting solely fat people.  Why do I say that?  Because there are unhealthy people of all shapes and sizes.  You cannot tell by looking who is healthy.  There are plenty of unhealthy thin people, just like there are plenty of fat people.  Just look at how often it's considered cute if a thin model on here brags about eating an entire pizza and never exercising.  (Announcements like that are charming if you're petite, right?)  Or look at the myriad examples of healthy fat folks who exercise more than your average American, like the fat dance troupes out there such as Big Burlesque or Big Moves.

The whole "health concern" argument is predicated solely on appearance and on shallow surface assumptions and judgments. 

And this is why my fat ass will continue to participate in the creation of art that is lasting and meaningful beautiful and shows (because images have a way of doing things that words can't) that value and worth are not determined by size.

^ my hero.

Aug 03 06 07:03 pm Link

Model

Caroline Ann Martin

Williamsport, Pennsylvania, US

You're welcome Shyly, and absolutely on everything you've said here....   ABSOLUTELY....  Oh, but you missed the gorilla reference... Ugh...

Society always needs a scapegoat.... If it's not one group of people, it will be another. Unfortunately when it comes to size and weight acceptance, prejudice, harrassment, etc. of heavy people is way to accepted and even expected sad

Hugs,
Caroline

Aug 03 06 07:12 pm Link

Model

Juani_Vel

Angier, North Carolina, US

I am dumbfounded.  I just sat and read thru this entire thread, and I just can't believe that with all the other issues going on in our wonderful country, the OP is ticked off b/c HIS tax dollars are paying to provide medical care for fat people. 

Wow.

Last time I checked, I paid for my own health care, thank you smile

Besides... that seems to imply that being fat = being unhealthy, which (and I know this may shock some of you) is NOT always the case!!!! *gasp*.

I am a fat ass.  I am a happy fat ass.  And even before I had 2 little ones (thus making my ass even fatter) I was a 200lb size 12, dance minor, who did at least 6 hours a week of weight training alone (not including pilates and aerobics).  I was (and still am) much healthier than my anemic size 2/4 roommate who ate candy and chips and mashed potatoes for lunch and dinner every day, and slept continuously when she wasn't in class.  Yet, you're angry b/c *I* am a fattie and *I* and my large-bodied counterparts are the ones responsible for wasting your precious tax dollar?   Are you SERIOUS?  This is the only thing you can find to complain about as far as how much of ALL of our tax dollars our wonderful government wastes on bullcrap day after day, year after year????  Once again... ARE YOU SERIOUS???

Sweetheart, you are in America, just as I am... so fortunately you are free to think and say whatever you would like, but keep in mind that it is considered "bad practice" to make and pass biased judgement on other people solely based on their appearance.  In some arenas, there are certain laws in place to prevent just that sort of thing, in fact smile

So what if you think I'm a tub of lard?  I'm quite happily married to a tall, svelte, toned, handsome man who thinks I am a goddess smile  And that's just fine with me! smile  But please don't claim that YOUR tax dollars are paying for MY medical care.  If anything, they're paying for the medical coverage for my husband (who is military) and my kids smile  So for that, I kindly say "thank you!" ^_^

Aug 03 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Juani_Vel wrote:
I am dumbfounded.  I just sat and read thru this entire thread, and I just can't believe that with all the other issues going on in our wonderful country, the OP is ticked off b/c HIS tax dollars are paying to provide medical care for fat people. 

Wow.

Last time I checked, I paid for my own health care, thank you smile

Besides... that seems to imply that being fat = being unhealthy, which (and I know this may shock some of you) is NOT always the case!!!! *gasp*.

I am a fat ass.  I am a happy fat ass.  And even before I had 2 little ones (thus making my ass even fatter) I was a 200lb size 12, dance minor, who did at least 6 hours a week of weight training alone (not including pilates and aerobics).  I was (and still am) much healthier than my anemic size 2/4 roommate who ate candy and chips and mashed potatoes for lunch and dinner every day, and slept continuously when she wasn't in class.  Yet, you're angry b/c *I* am a fattie and *I* and my large-bodied counterparts are the ones responsible for wasting your precious tax dollar?   Are you SERIOUS?  This is the only thing you can find to complain about as far as how much of ALL of our tax dollars our wonderful government wastes on bullcrap day after day, year after year????  Once again... ARE YOU SERIOUS???

Sweetheart, you are in America, just as I am... so fortunately you are free to think and say whatever you would like, but keep in mind that it is considered "bad practice" to make and pass biased judgement on other people solely based on their appearance.  In some arenas, there are certain laws in place to prevent just that sort of thing, in fact smile

So what if you think I'm a tub of lard?  I'm quite happily married to a tall, svelte, toned, handsome man who thinks I am a goddess smile  And that's just fine with me! smile  But please don't claim that YOUR tax dollars are paying for MY medical care.  If anything, they're paying for the medical coverage for my husband (who is military) and my kids smile  So for that, I kindly say "thank you!" ^_^

I'm still trying to figure out which tax dollars are going towards fat people.. But, who knows.. Maybe his next thread will be about how we need to off all the old people to save on medicare.

Aug 03 06 07:33 pm Link

Model

Juani_Vel

Angier, North Carolina, US

WG Rowland wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out which tax dollars are going towards fat people.. But, who knows.. Maybe his next thread will be about how we need to off all the old people to save on medicare.

LOL...now there's a thought... just imagine saying, "goodbye Grandmother, you are too old and you are sucking up my tax dollars.  But thank you for all the love and wonderful childhood memories!!!"

Seems a bit ridiculous, doesn't it???  As a side note, I love my grandmother dearly, and I wouldn't trade her for the world.  She has recently fallen very ill...  so, thanks to all of you tax payers whose dollars are going towards paying her hospital bills.  I am sure she really appreciates it.  I know we sure do.  (I am very serious about this, btw.)

Aug 03 06 07:47 pm Link

Model

RJM

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Caroline Ann Martin wrote:

Thank you for the compliment.... Do read over your posts again... The common thread is that something is missing, that the obese person doesn't get it, that the obese person just needs to have more self-control, etc. etc...   

Having been there done that in terms of once weighing almost 400 lbs, I can tell you that your tax dollars aren't being spent on obese people.... Obesity is not restricted to any age group, ethnic group, socioeconomic group, etc.... If anything, the great majority of seriously morbidly obese people that I know (including myself) are very intelligent and succeed in all other areas with the exception of their weight.  Food can act as a wonderful way to self medicate from the stressors of a high management job, etc....  Yes, it comes down to one eating too many calories and not burning enough off via exercise, but the great majority of morbidly obese people aren't sitting at home all day watching tv and eating bon bons (such as the stereotype would have one believe)....

Also, weight loss programs are usually NOT covered by insurance.  It is the obese person him/herself who pays the $500 a month to be on a medically supervised liquid fast, $30K for gastric bypass surgery (not all the time but in many cases), $700 a year for the gym, etc. etc.

And I'm sorry, but your saying you don't hate fat people is like someone saying "I don't hate gay people as long as they don't come near me."  At least this has been your tone throughout this thread...

Caroline
-225 lbs @ goal
https://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL11/1444166/9929838/152121773.jpg

Although obesity is not restricted to any certain ethnic, age, gender, or socioeconomic group, it is highest among those with less education. It is also higher among women and certain minority groups.

Aug 03 06 08:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Sally

Montgomery, Illinois, US

Didn't this whole thing start by saying that  "Models" should have their weight under control, and that plus size , isn't a size.  Who give's if some so called fat girl sat on someones leg, or any other story, this was about "models" people in general have to live with themselves , fat or thin, or average.  I think if you are happy with who you are, then it shouldn't matter what your weight is and if the public judges you on what size you are or what your weight is, then they don't need to know you.  Geeez, I never saw so many posts on people who are prejudice against "fat people"  especially in this industry.

Aug 03 06 08:49 pm Link

Model

BronxBeauty8

Sally Kempton wrote:
Didn't this whole thing start by saying that  "Models" should have their weight under control, and that plus size , isn't a size.  Who give's if some so called fat girl sat on someones leg, or any other story, this was about "models" people in general have to live with themselves , fat or thin, or average.  I think if you are happy with who you are, then it shouldn't matter what your weight is and if the public judges you on what size you are or what your weight is, then they don't need to know you.  Geeez, I never saw so many posts on people who are prejudice against "fat people"  especially in this industry.

But what if someone's over-obesity puts others lives in danger.... don't you care about the little people?

Aug 03 06 09:06 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

dee740 wrote:
thanks I love the new pics in your port as well. Checked you out a few days ago. We gotta talk about art modeling when you have time.

You know my email add.

Aug 03 06 11:43 pm Link