Forums > General Industry > Obesity and models

Model

Beauty of Tiferet

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I'm confused.

At 5'8" and 130 pounds wearing a size 8/10 I should consider myself a PLUS size model?

If so, let me know and I'll go put that down in my listing, but I've always been told by most people that know me that I'm fairly slender, so this is sort of bizarre...

But I would like to know if that's what I am.

Aug 05 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Caroline Ann Martin

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Samantha Grace wrote:
I do agree with the poster, there is a difference from plus model to fat model.
I noticed alot of stores that carry clothing for women sized 16- 28. They tend to use traditional plus models (size 8-12) for ads. Women want to look like the women pictured. Let's face it, most women want to be thinner. It's psylogical.

I found it funny, according to the BMI at 5'6, 125 is an ideal weight for me. Most people agree I look better at 110. I find the BMI foolish. It doesn't put in account people have different frames. I am curvy, but I have a smaller frame. I look better alittle trimmer. Also,  it doesn't put consideration fat vs muscle tone. Muscle weighs more then fat.  You can be underweight, and still flabby! The BMI is rubbish.

Absolutely!

My weight varies between 145 and 155. I am 5'5" and wear a size 4/6.  I lost 225 lbs and work out (I am a personal trainer) and have LOTS of muscle on me, so this is one of the reasons for the higher weight.  My body fat percentage is a mere 12.5% which is VERY low.  10 lbs lighter and I look sick.  One definately can't go by BMI or the numbers on the scale alone.

smile Caroline

Aug 05 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

IamAustinLangley

Newport Beach, California, US

nevermind... can't...delete...post...

Aug 05 06 05:23 pm Link

Model

Isabella Stryker

Lowell, Massachusetts, US

Obviously modeling and photography is art.  Everyone has a different idea about what they like to look at.  There are some models who pose with shit all over them, or with things stuck in their butt, or dressed in a chicken costume.  Not every model is tall and thin and wearing a pretty dress or bikini. 

I don't think taking pictures of fat people is supporting them in being fat.  Force feeding them cake maybe, but taking pictures, no.  It's just art.  If you don't like it, don't look at it. 

I have to wonder, were some people tied down with their eye lids pried open and forced to watch hours of naked fat chicks runing around or something?  Because if you have PTSD you should be talking about that with a therapist, not in a chat room on MM.

Aug 05 06 05:42 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Samantha Grace wrote:

You would look scary at 118 pounds!! You are the correct weight for your BMI. 150 isn't overweight on the scale. It is actually ideal.

Well the conversation between myself and the physician came about when I asked him how I could get my breasts to go down a little. When he told me 118 I thought it was pretty unattainable.I think I would look terrible and hungry.

Aug 06 06 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Adams Photography

Eufaula, Alabama, US

If you don't like "big girls". "fat chicks" ,"BBWs" , "women of substance" WHATEVER, then don't shoot them, date them, talk to them or even look at them if you are so offended or repulsed. Some people are just stupid like that. Too bad ignorance isn't painful huh? I have done all of the above and never have I been dissapointed in any way. Never had any "bone bruises" either . I like big butts and I cannot lie! Fat bottom girls, they make the rockin' world go 'round !  Seriously , look for the beauty, it is in any model,place, every day person, thing.

T

Aug 06 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dee740 wrote:
I would look terrible and hungry.

LMAO at AND hungry!

Aug 06 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Wow!  This is still going???

Aug 06 06 11:53 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ransom J wrote:

LMAO at AND hungry!

well I would look hungry and also extremely sad....lol

Aug 07 06 03:19 pm Link

Model

Lindsay_78

Medina, Washington, US

I received an email several days ago from a MM Photographer who decided to send me a message out of the blue (I do not know him, nor do I even live anywhere close to him) so that he could tell me that I was fat.

He started off the email by telling me that he was going to spare me the humiliation of posting his message as a tag on my site by sending me a private message in the hopes that I would get the picture (no pun intended)

He said that I was fat and that I should look deep into myself to figure out why I was so unhappy.

What???

I sent him a message back asking him nicely to not ever send me a message again and told him that I was perfectly happy with who I am, I am 32 weeks pregnant right now and I don't want to be underweight, I want a healthy baby.

smile Lindsay

Aug 09 06 06:22 pm Link