Forums > General Industry > Models death and request for all her photos

Photographer

Concept Photo

New York, New York, US

As long as the model's release is unimpeachable, there is no basis for anyone to demand an artists's work (i.e., photographic negatives, digital images, prints, etc.) without compensation.

If you want this headache to disappear, there are several ways to approach this matter.

If you want to surrender the materials to the model's mother, get all of the appropriate documentation (i.e., death certificate, declaration of estate executorship, etc.), and a fully-negotiated agreement for both parties to sign.

If you choose to transfer the ownership of the materials and the copyright to the executor of the model's estate, you should receive a nominal fee of $1.00.

If you simply want to disposses yourself of the materials without allowing anyone any ability to use the images, you can damage or destroy them in the presence of a notary public and additional witnesses.  Punching a hole in each negative exposure is one way of doing it.  Cutting the strip of negatives in half is another way.  Completely destroying the materials is another way.

If you want to assert your rights, it probably would be best to engage the services of an attorney, ask for his or her advice on the matter.  Chances are the attorney will inform you of your rights and advise you to keep your materials, respond courteously to the model's mother, and wait for any letters or summonses you might receive.

Most people prefer to settle matters amicably and without getting entangled in the legal arena.  Models and artists are mortal, and this won't be the only time that this situation or something similar will occur.  As other models perish, you may be contacted by their heirs.  When you die, models may contact your heirs.  It's a good idea to evaluate what's important to you.  A good way of evaluating the situation is to ask yourself questions that allow you to be objective about the answers (e.g., "If a box with negatives and prints depicting this model was accidentally destroyed [i.e., burned up in a fire, fell off a ferry boat into the harbor, whatever], would you be able to move on?")

Good luck.

Jun 11 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Concept Photo wrote:
As long as the model's release is unimpeachable, there is no basis for anyone to demand an artists's work (i.e., photographic negatives, digital images, prints, etc.) without compensation.

We've dealt with this several times already in this thread, but it keeps on coming up.

Does that mean if there is no release, then there is a basis for someone to demand "an artists's work (i.e., photographic negatives, digital images, prints, etc.) without compensation."

What, exactly, does the release have to do with the issue?

A model's release has nothing whatever to do with ownership or possession of images by the photographer.

Jun 11 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

CristinaLex wrote:
exactly, so what could he possibly do with pics of a deceased model...dooesnt make much since to me to keep them and sell them or try to post them any where if they yung lady at hand is deceased...

Well if was I... and being a journalist first... I would be pumping out, and flogging to the mags, a story [with pictures] about the untimely and tragic death of a young model.

No value? I disagree. They have value especially with her dead.

You can call me mercenary, and shout what ever you like at me... while I go to the bank.

Studio36

Jun 11 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I've noticed a trend on this site, lots of people seem to expect photographers to be pushovers.

Pushover, Tony? Moi?

Think Caterpillar D-8D with the 12 ft blade pushover maybe.

Studio36

Jun 11 06 01:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

studio36uk wrote:

Well if was I... and being a journalist first... I would be pumping out, and flogging to the mags, a story [with pictures] about the untimely and tragic death of a young model.

No value? I disagree. They have value especially with her dead.

You can call me mercenary, and shout what ever you like at me... while I go to the bank.

Studio36

wow, it's a shame that you would put money first.   I think the OP said the model was his friend.....Is this how you would treat a friends mother?  I assume she loved her mother.

Respect what you assume your FRIEND would like you to do in her memory...if shes really a friend, thats what you will do.

Jun 11 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jun 11 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

WOW,
Yet another thread full of off topic comments..GO MAYHEM!

I will respond only to the OP.

As photgraphers we capture moments and people in time. That is what we do and that is our legacy. We will all at one time or another capture somebody who out lives the images we capture. We become the custodians of those images.

I would share those imags with the family most certainly, because as custodian I would see it as my job to make sure those memories could be shared with the loved ones.

I would not give up my negatives or the rights to use the images in anyway. I would; however, use my own moral judgment as to how the images are used. And I would only use them in a way the MODEL would have liked them used. Thus, allowing her legacy to live on through her work.

I dont care what typpes of pictures they are. I dont care what threats the mother made or makes.
None of that has any bearing on what I do with the images past making sure the family has something to remember her by.

NUFF said....

Jun 11 06 06:29 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

People tend to get out of line when they lose someone,and say outlandish stuff, so just keep that in mind with her comment on taking you to court. You want a copy of the death certificate? If you have no use for any of the material,then why do you want that proof? You're a photographer, not some state official so be reasonable about this.

Jun 11 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

studio36uk wrote:

Pushover, Tony? Moi?

Think Caterpillar D-8D with the 12 ft blade pushover maybe.

Studio36

Studio36 for sure isn't anybodies pushover.  Whats intresting are all the different
reponses.  Some are unusual but most are heartfelt and kind.  The OP has
decided to give mom all the materials after he has proof of the daughters death.
Thats nice.  Personally I wouldn't waste a moment more of my time on this.
I wouldn't stand before a witness and destroy my work.  I wouldn't call a
lawyer, I wouldn't have more conversations with mom.  Once she mailed me
a copy of her daughters death certificate I'd be nice and give her the photos.
Untill that happened I would do nothing.  I'm betting that he doesn't get a
copy of a offical certificate but I bet will hear from her mother again and I
bet he will hear from a 'lawyer'.  Still I'd do nothing untill I had a offical document
in my hands.

Jun 11 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

aref

New York, New York, US

Don't want to sound morbid, but did you check to see if the model actaully died?

a

Jun 12 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

DeathbyNew-Wave wrote:
People tend to get out of line when they lose someone,and say outlandish stuff, so just keep that in mind with her comment on taking you to court. You want a copy of the death certificate? If you have no use for any of the material,then why do you want that proof? You're a photographer, not some state official so be reasonable about this.

You would want proof because you are giving something up of value. Newsflash: Some people will lie to get what they want.

Jun 12 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I find it wonderfull that so many people are so willing for photographers to give
away their work.  Something that they have spent time and money to produce.
This young women's mother didn't offer to buy the images or even from what I
read offer to pay for even the expense of shipping her the images.  No, she just
demanded the images and threatens to sue.  I've noticed a trend on this site, lots
of people seem to expect photographers to be pushovers.  A model changes her
mind for example over a nude shoot.  This after posing for hours and signing a release and maybe being paid.  Some would say, hey just give her the images but
what about the work, effort, time and maybe money the photographer spent doing
the images.  Oh, forget all that they say.  Well I say, bullsh%^.  First mom should
never have threaten any legal action.  Then she should have offered to compensate the photographer for at least  his time.  Offer to pay for whatever expenses he might have sending the material to her and for his other expenses. 
I'm not as some might think heartless but mom lost all her good guy points after
she got nasty.

I couldn't agree with you more. Actually, I this what you are pointing out here is one of the reasons why the professional photography industry is in such bad shape these days. Everybody wants us to just give away everything for free, and we're supposed to be nice, not businesslike.

Is this important? Well, let's extend it to the business climate in the USA these days. It's great if you're poor -- it's better if you're rich, but if you're in the middle like most of us are, it truly sucks. And again, I think your point applies. Hey -- ship those jobs off to India and China -- bring in all kinds of goods and services without thinking about the impact on the local economy and our society -- let's be NICE to the rest of the world.

It's nice to be "nice" -- but nice that destroys our ability to survive is foolish.

Jun 12 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Cuadros

Ottawa, Illinois, US

You took the right decision.  Just sit on the unused images for now and do not recall the ones that are in use.  You mentionned that you considered to sell the images to the mother.  Don't !  because then you would create the perception that you are trying to make money out of this death; this could seriously dammage your reputation.  I think you should offer a few free headshots to the mother to show you are sorry.  For the rest, it seems that you explained to the mother precisely the reasons why you couldn't give her the images, and give away your  copyright.  Be careful though, if she tries to damage your reputation, you could look like the "bad guy" depending on how you fight back.  I would not like to be in your shoes.  Good luck.
Gilles Comtois

Jun 12 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

W__

Bloomfield, Connecticut, US

This post is morbid. Have some respect for the model and yourself.

-Bill

Moderators...?

Jun 12 06 06:42 pm Link

Model

Jenna C

Montpelier, Vermont, US

I had to put my two cents in because this has happened to my family before.

My brother died just after he started modeling.  The photos were for his compcard and he did pay for them.
However, he did not own all the rights or the negatives.  The photographer did.
So, my parents asked the photographer about the photos, negatives, etc.
They mutually agreed to pay for the photos and negatives.
Not sure how much it was though.  I don't think more than a couple hundred dollars.  Maybe even 3 o or 4?

Anyway, it's only right that if the mother wants the photos she should pay for them.  After all, they're not hers.

Understand if she's upset because of the situation, but my brother was 20, a model, and he died in an automobile, motorcycle, accident.  We were all sore, but business is business, and if she can't deal with that, tell her to pay for the negatives if she wants them, and then move on.

Jun 12 06 06:49 pm Link

Model

Janos

Atlanta, Georgia, US

That sure is a story, I wonder what happen to the girl? please keep us posted.

I think the mother is tripping, she should be very proud that her daughter had the chance to do something she loved, and that thing she enjoyed was modeling. I know the daughter is very proud of her selve and it is wonder that her pictures had the chance to be out there, and actually collect a profit. If I died, I would be happy knowing that my face made it somewhere, and I still live on, and I think she may have felt the same. You even said she wanted to shoot again, the mom clearly does not understand your relationship with her.

However, I would just give her the pictures, and let it be, but that does not mean you should stop putting out those pictures of her. She would be happy, and after all you took the pictures and hold rights to it.

Jun 12 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Edward Lewis USN

Madeira Beach, Florida, US

My brother was an actor/model and did a TV commercial a few weeks before he died. Granted it was weird to see him in a commercial after he had died, but he signed a contract and the reality is, we as a family had no "legal" right to change his business dealings.

Same thing should be said of your situation. Mom is distraught, which is probably why she mentioned "lawsuit". But your deal was between decedent and yourself. Mom has no standing, unless there is an issue for time of use. Karma would say give the photos back, but Karma doesn't buy 300/2.8 lenses for you either.

Jun 12 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

The release has all bearing on his right to keep the photos. The release has no bearing on if he should keep the photos.

I hope that if I read the next hundred posts following yours that I won't be the first one to tell you this, but it bears repeating anyway; dude, learn the law if you're going to do photography! A release has absolutely no bearing on his right to keep the photos, his ownership of any physical aspects or his ownership of the copyright. It only has bearing on the types of uses he can make of the photos.

Jun 13 06 11:52 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

phcorcoran wrote:

The example letter I've written illustrates several important points that those of us who work with the public understand:

1.) It responds IMMEDIATELY to a grieving individual.

2.) It asks for time to consider the request.

3.) It asks for proof of the circumstances.

4.) Although it maintains a businesslike formality, it is written in a sympathetic tone.

I learned this basic stuff in high school, while some of you were evidently sleeping stoned in the back of the class.

I think it's perfect.

Jun 15 06 02:19 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

David Baxter wrote:
Am I the only one that finds this strange? A healthy 21 year old just dies in her sleep? Could it be possible that the mom found out the daughter was modeling, freaked out, and made up some story just to try and get the pictures back? Considering some of the excuses I've heard in my life I wouldn't put it past some mothers to do such a thing.

it really frightens me what kinda people you guys have been dealing with .. that you would do anything other than
sympathise - without building up the emotions / stress
verify the truth gently
explain your (own) decison about the request
and either delete (some) ARTISTIC REMAINS in front of her / or make a scap book cd for the family / whatever kind response you have time for.

she would - if in sleep is true and she was healthy - have most likely have died from drugs allergic reaction or annurism / embolism or else an unknown complication

it happens ... and would not need to be written up in a newspaper
maybe her mother wants NOTHING TO EVER GET PUBLISHED AFTER THIS
OR everything she can get of her daughter,
your decision on that one!

Personally I have never blamed / held vicious responses or taken offence per se from accusations or threats made out of grief and pain, however outrageous
Never the less keeping any questionable material out of this 'gift' if you make one
might be a good idea

Namaste

BRITT

if you guys imagine this is a fake ''mom'' or a fake 'death' i am amazed! (and if its IS fake ... ok then it's even more proposterous!!)

Jun 15 06 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

The photography work is yours, period.

You dont know what other family members might think. Maybe 5 years from now you might have a different family member contact you looking for images that were preserved.

I would keep them. Maybe not use them (unless you feel that this i what the model would have wanted.)

It sounds odd to me (like religious fanatic odd) that a parent would want all works of their child destroyed. In a way, you may be the protector of a part of her memory.

Just my opinion.

Henry

Jun 15 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

Call it what you will.
I think the model is not dead, but upset that you are making money without sharing...

Jun 15 06 02:48 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

Henry Tjernlund wrote:
You dont know what other family members might think. Maybe 5 years from now you might have a different family member contact you looking for images that were preserved. I would keep them.

ISNT THAT A GOOD REASON FOR SHOWING THEY ARE DELETED?

It sounds odd to me (like religious fanatic odd) that a parent would want all works of their child destroyed. In a way, you may be the protector of a part of her memory.

Henry

OK where did she say that?
OP says  '' Her mother requested any and all negatives and disks. Im going to do it because im not really doing anything with the shots. ''

I wonder why hes bothered posting this - although, it certainly MOST telling re the attitudes of people here!

Jun 15 06 02:51 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

So, it's 7 months since this thread. What was the outcome? Was she dead? Did the mother get the photos? Was there a lawsuit? Is up down?

We want to know!

Jan 11 07 08:57 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Don, how'd it go?

Jan 11 07 09:07 am Link

Model

ash smith

London, England, United Kingdom

ahh... what odd, terrible circumstances... i have no advice,  but i feel sorry for all parties involved!

Jan 11 07 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

First I would say that I'm so sorry to hear about this young lady dying. That is very sad!  The mother must be in emotional pain from her loss, and there can't be much worse pain than losing a child.  You can be an older adult but you are still your parents "child" to them! 

From the legal stand point, the mom has no grounds.  Her daughter was an adult when she signed and there is nothing the mom can do about that regardless of second thoughts expressed to her by the daughter.  The wonderful thing about photography is that we are recording life!  She may not be aware of it at this time of her loss, but these pictures of her daughter are now even more precious! 

When Linda Sorbeck was murdered in Southern California, her favorite photographers got together and published a magazine of her best images with her story of her life before it was cut short.  Right after thousands of people died or were missing because of the attacks on 9/11 ... what did you see?  Thousands more people pouring into the streets clutching pictures of their loved ones to their chests.  Holding those pictures close to their hearts, it is sometimes the only thing they have left ... beside the memories.  I've cried over what an honor it is to be a photographer and to have captured images of people, with some no longer living.

Express you condolences then give the grieving mother some time and space.  If you can give her some prints, maybe that would help?   Maybe later on you can offer to discuss selling the negatives, or some other solution?  This is not a good time for the mom to make irrational demands that she might regret later.

Bingo.

Jan 11 07 09:48 am Link

Photographer

William Milberry

Fukuoka, Fukuoka, Japan

The mother is probably just distraught and trying to protect the image of her little girl.  If you have no use for the images, as a good guy it is probably nice to just give up the images to the mother (make a small sacrifice yourself to help the mother feel better), but at the same time I don't believe you truly have any obligation (legal or ethical) to do so.  It's not reasonable for a family to go and recall everything a dead loved one had done that the family wasn't 100% happy with.

EDIT:  Doh!  I didn't realize how old the original post was.  I guess my response isn't of any real concern anymore :-P

Jan 11 07 10:09 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I don't know but it seems odd to me that only 2 weeks after the tragic and unexpected death of her daughter, her thought would be to contact a photographer to request negatives of photos. I'm almost positive that would be the last thing avenue I would be traveling. Wanting prints as a memory would be one thing...but to take a strong legal stance?

This seems so odd. I wonder if 2 weeks after Marilyn Monroe's death her family was contacting photographers to give up any images they've taken.

Jan 11 07 10:16 am Link

Photographer

StratMan

Detroit, Michigan, US

I responded to this post, since I encountered a similar scenario last year when a good friend's wife passed away tragically in a car accident, killed instantly. left behind two sons and a loving husband. I knew them since they first met/dated. When he informed me, I was so shocked, I couldn't believe it, and he asked if I had still had the images I shot of her. I still had them, but couldn't find them anywhere.

I felt so bad that I couldn't retrieve them, and was fully aware of his grieving. Six months later I found them, contacted him, and mailed the negs & proofs to him. I good consciousness, I would do it again in a heartbeat, the memories are worth more to him than any $$$ I could glean from them, and as a friend, I wanted him to have HER memories.

He was thankful, and I feel good about it.

Strat

*(regarding the mother, she is prolly in so much pain & anguish on so many fronts, and while she has no legal grounds, it's probably best she have them....IF some were explicit, I would not give her those...for obvious reasons.)

Jan 11 07 10:31 am Link

Photographer

DevilsTowerMedia

Douglasville, Georgia, US

You own the photos, the mother has no rights on them as long as you have a release.  She needs to chill.

Sorry, but you have to protect your intellectual property, which is what the photos are.  They are your business, and you can't go caving.  I know this seems harsh but it's the real world.

Too bad about the model

Jan 11 07 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Ed the Healer

Addison, Alabama, US

The Don Mon wrote:
Got a phone call yesterday from a mother of a model I helped get started.
She informed me that she had passed away 2 weeks ago.She had died while asleep
with no warning and she pretty much just never woke up.

she was 21...wasnt informed on what her death was from.
Ill be finding out in a day or so.

Her mother requested any and all negatives and disks.
Im going to do it because im not really doing anything with the shots.
However I did sell some of them,shortly after i shot with her.

Reason why is she says that she regreated doing photos((news to me))
She signed a release and we never had any issues i also told her what i was going to do with them right off the bat.She was fine with it ((the model)).

so out of nowhere the mother threatens me that if i dont ((after i already said i was going to.)) that she is going to sue me if i dont.im like wtf where the hell did that come from?

((now im debating why should i even bother )) let her try to sue me then i counter sue for lost wages and distress...

so im asking you all what would you do ?

((i already have my own answer i just want to see what you all say...
keep in mind that my beliefs is... i always educated and looked out for
all the girls ever shot with as much as i can from fraud and what not.))

***just so everyone knows this is an edit so new people can see what im going to do *******

first off ask for a copy of the death certificate
if she is truly dead then this shouldnt be a problem..

then i educate her on copyright and that she truly has no legal action
and that i could counter sue to cover cost and expenses and lost wages and distress for the whole thing.

second she was a friend as well....i take care of my friends..
i am not going to charge her this.

i have made a copy of the release and will give the copy to her so that she can take it to a lawyer and he can tell her the same thing if she doesnt believe me.

funny part is that her daughter wanted to shoot again.
so i dont believe her about that.i think it was more her trying to controlling her little girls life.even though she was an adult.

however i can not and will not try to retrieve the images already out there that i do get royalties on.i will though not from this moment on
publish any additional photos out of the kindness of my heart.

i will be keeping the images that i have on my hardrive and on disk.
with copies of the release.

i am a good guy with a good heart but im not a sucker....

thank you for all that responded thats what this site is for !!!!

I wouldn't do anything.  As soon as you give up your rights, all your rights are fair game.  She'll probably sue you no matter what you do.

Jan 11 07 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Maybe one day I'll run into this situation....since I don't suffer fools. One day, I want to see someone embarrass the demandee in ridiculous situations like these.

Jan 11 07 11:43 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Ed Goodwin Photography wrote:

I wouldn't do anything.  As soon as you give up your rights, all your rights are fair game.  She'll probably sue you no matter what you do.

since this time i havent heard anything from her.
no return calls .... no emails ....nothing....

my phone hasnt changed numbers since and wont...
so she cant say she tried to contact me again via phone

i gave her my web-site info so if she needs she can email me

nothing from any lawyers ...nothing...
so all is well....even if she does try to sue....i have a release with her autograph

so im good...
thanx peeps for the responses i just hope anyone else out there can gain from this
or at least know they werent the only ones or can be prepared like i was/am .

Jan 11 07 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...try not to let your heart rule your head.
In a similar circumstance I would express sympathy, offer to have prints
made for the family , and ,if querried in writing legally, state that you have a signed
professional model release that through your lawyer could be made available for their lawyer to peruse pursuant to a lawsuit.
I would leave it at that for the time being as emotions are running rampant.

Jan 11 07 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

WOW  9 pages  and lots of advice.

Lets see,   a model sells  a special gown,  and model dies and mom calls  and wants it back because model changed her mind, 

no wait,  thats not it.

A model sells  a house on the beach  and dies and mom calls because model regretted it and mom wants it given back  with all the furniture.

no wait,  thats not it.

A model sells a car  and dies and mom calls because model regretted it and mom calls and wants it given back

no wait ,  thats not it.

A model, who gets started into modelling by the OP among others,  has a mom who now calls and wants  everything back.  Interestingly the model may or may not also be dead.   And either way,  the model is causing mom great grief.

I'm pretty tenderhearted,  but I turn to granite when threatened and become the worst enemy anyone could have.  Its just not polite to threaten.  If you are polite and nice,  then I could be your friend, and I've been known to give and give and give and give  and ...well   I'm a giving sort of guy.

In this case,  I'd have expressed my sympathy on the phone in the call.  I'd have said I am sorry for her loss.  I'd have thanked her for calling. 

Then, I'd hang up.  Go have a beer,  shake my head and go  WTF  that was weird.

and wait for the next contact, whether its  one week or one month  or one year.

It is cheaper to pay an extortionist what they want  than to resist,  and this is a type of legal extortion,   but sometimes  its just better to let time work its magic.

The negatives,  with a signed agreement,  belong to the photographer.
A memory portfolio certainly is a kind gesture.  I lost the urge to have such kindness when someone mentioned litigation. 

Whether we like them or dislike them,   the number one thing that lawyers do in thic country  that benefits all of us  is  tell people who don't have a case that they need to pay  sizable bucks to persue a case with minimal likely returns.  Or then there are those attorneys who say they are sorry, but you have no cause of action that would hold up in court.

Hassel suing,   yeah it happens,   but then,  most lawyers  are disinclined to have a complaint against them to the bar association on such subjects.  It does depend on the state  and the people in power at the bar,  but frivilous litigation can be a cause for counter litigation  which is not so frivolous.

Jan 11 07 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

fstopdreams

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Brian Hillburn wrote:
Don,I've peeped your port and your work is outstanding. Simple answer, return them and go on in good conscience. You're too great to let this issue get involved in your flow and creativity. From an ethical standpoint, go with what your heart tells you. Much love..

Give her a copy if she wants, for a memory, if they would make the mother a good memory. Otherwise, give her nothing.

The relationship the resulted in those photos was between you and the daughter, and she can no longer speak. So you proceed based on what you think she would have wanted assuming that was important to you.

Jan 11 07 03:33 pm Link

Model

Aleaise

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I would just give all of the negatives and prints, its so not worth it going to court. The mother is upset over the death of her child. So just dont take her words offensively. Kill her with kindness thats all I can say.

Jan 11 07 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
First I would say that I'm so sorry to hear about this young lady dying. That is very sad!  The mother must be in emotional pain from her loss, and there can't be much worse pain than losing a child.  You can be an older adult but you are still your parents "child" to them! 

From the legal stand point, the mom has no grounds.  Her daughter was an adult when she signed and there is nothing the mom can do about that regardless of second thoughts expressed to her by the daughter.  The wonderful thing about photography is that we are recording life!  She may not be aware of it at this time of her loss, but these pictures of her daughter are now even more precious! 

When Linda Sorbeck was murdered in Southern California, her favorite photographers got together and published a magazine of her best images with her story of her life before it was cut short.  Right after thousands of people died or were missing because of the attacks on 9/11 ... what did you see?  Thousands more people pouring into the streets clutching pictures of their loved ones to their chests.  Holding those pictures close to their hearts, it is sometimes the only thing they have left ... beside the memories.  I've cried over what an honor it is to be a photographer and to have captured images of people, with some no longer living.

Express you condolences then give the grieving mother some time and space.  If you can give her some prints, maybe that would help?   Maybe later on you can offer to discuss selling the negatives, or some other solution?  This is not a good time for the mom to make irrational demands that she might regret later.

Jason McKendricks wrote:
Bingo.

Wow! Thanks Jason!  I forgot I wrote that!  big_smile

Jan 11 07 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

I personally would check the Obits for the week she died, first of all.Either way I would not give them up. It is not your fault she passed away. She signed a release and you own them.The judge I doubt would even hear the case unless the model was a minor. Then again still, a release was signed. Mom has no case.
If you sold some once, I am sure you could sell some again sometime.

Give mom a buy out option.

Jan 11 07 04:52 pm Link