Forums > General Industry > Wilhelmenia Agency Scam

Retoucher

GD - Beauty Retoucher

Los Angeles, California, US

Not sure if somebody posted already but here is what I found out from google and BBB.

Went to google maps (maps.google.com) and plot the address on the http://www.modelingpa.com website.

On maps.google.com it shows that it have the same address as Harman Agency.

Harman Agency
Address:‎
101 S 38th St
Harrisburg, PA 17111-2231

Get Directions
(717) 234-4417
* approximate times

- modelingpa.com‎

... share the same phone and address as well.

went to bbb.com, read on ....
http://dc-easternpa.bbb.org/codbrep.htm … 56#Ratings

On BBB it says:
Primary Contact: MS. KELLI S. HARMAN (OWNER)
Complaint Contact: MS. KELLI S. HARMAN (OWNER)

i then googled "Harman Agency" and "Kelli Harman", I found these ...

http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/kelliharman.html
http://www.modelingscams.com/letters/ha … n-002.html

Oct 28 09 11:37 pm Link

Model

GALINA_NYC

New York, New York, US

im in New York
so i called Willy agency today
asked abt theie commercial division
they do have it, starting from 5'8''
they call it commercial print
i asked if they have talent division, and they said i can subbmit my pix, as their web site says
so......... no chances

its kinda big fish right now, stick to smth smaller

Oct 29 09 11:02 am Link

Photographer

CEphotography

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

I have no desire to go through 5 pages of replies, but i just called one of Wilhelmina's main offices (CA) and they said it IS a proper "Affiliate". iw as calling for a friend of mine who was approached by the Wilhelmina-Harmon agency people and is going to open casting this weekend. They did seem very annoyed so they probably hear a lot about them, but i think Affiliate just means they're allowed to use the name and really don't have any sort of connection with the mother site.

An "affiliate" will ask you to pay for a lot of things and should be considered a "franchise" like operation. you're going to be at the mercy of the business drive of the person who owns the company. If they aren't good, then you're going to sit there and flounder. If you want to apply i'd apply to one of the actual mother offices in NY or CA or FL and go from there. Spend the money to get to those places and you'll have a better shot. I would submit by mail though because if they don't like what you have to "offer" then it's not worth wasting the money.

Regards.

Nov 05 09 04:42 pm Link

Model

Mitta R

San Francisco, California, US

Nov 05 09 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Danger Ninja

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mitta Ritt wrote:

Sorry but that's wrong.  I have personally worked with two of the past season ANTM on the runway, and they are very nice.

so just because they're nice to you, that makes them successful?

Nov 05 09 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Greggain Photography

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

As far as the Harman agency goes, and this is back in 2005 but it's worth the read about them.

http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/kelliharman.html

This might explain their recent merger with The Willie agency

Nov 05 09 08:48 pm Link

Model

Mitta R

Nov 06 09 07:42 am Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Alexandra Dennis wrote:
To be honest, I've been debating on what I'm going to do when I meet with them this week.  I've decided to tell them that I'm not going to pay anything upfront, and get my comp cards done on my own.

It's next week. How did the meeting go?

Nov 06 09 08:02 am Link

Photographer

David Born

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

UTG got taken over by Wilhelmina, I've worked with them and a few of their models recently, and heard good things about them.  Dig deep on the franchisers though, and good luck!

Nov 06 09 09:09 am Link

Model

Andrew J Barker

New York, New York, US

i recently went on the same audition and was told i was accepted,but there was a $2400 fee for my book, and some classes, i'm kind of skeptical about it,so i called the NYC main branch and asked them. However, they are licensed by Wilhelmina, but they are not apart of the main branch. With this being said, they can make up any prices for any specific thing they want to and can charge whatever to WHO EVER! But they are legit...so its basically based on if you have the money or not..

Nov 10 09 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

A Cohen

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

wow, $2400...lol...
for your book?...
My gawd, when I hire models (for runway) - I ONLY want to see their 'actual face/body' shots, i.e. polaroids
Costs 0$ to get those

Nov 10 09 10:26 pm Link

Model

Tabatha Miami

Miami, Florida, US

Andrew J Barker wrote:
i recently went on the same audition and was told i was accepted,but there was a $2400 fee for my book, and some classes, i'm kind of skeptical about it,so i called the NYC main branch and asked them. However, they are licensed by Wilhelmina, but they are not apart of the main branch. With this being said, they can make up any prices for any specific thing they want to and can charge whatever to WHO EVER! But they are legit...so its basically based on if you have the money or not..

$2,400? It better bleed gold or talk or something.

Nov 11 09 03:48 am Link

Model

Malin_

New York, New York, US

Has anyone browsed their boards? I don't mean to sound catty, but judging from what the models look like, they accept anyone who wants in. They might be legit, but I don't think all of their models are actually out there working! Some portfolio pictures on there look like MySpace pics!

Nov 11 09 05:28 am Link

Model

Andrew J Barker

New York, New York, US

Tabatha Miami wrote:

$2,400? It better bleed gold or talk or something.

yes that was for the book, a whole bunch of fee's , and  some training...so i said NO! its a big rip-off! I got a honest answer from an employee at the Wilhelmina NYC office, and they said "Dont pay for nothing,except a book which should run you anywhere from $60-$90..."

Nov 11 09 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Linkens

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Andrew J Barker wrote:
i recently went on the same audition and was told i was accepted,but there was a $2400 fee for my book, and some classes

I contacted them, and was told it's 100.00 an hour plus agency fee for editorial shoots. I'd definately rather catch a train for a grand total of six hours, and book from a NY agency for a flat rate of 150.00 for a llama's editorial day rate, plus a thirty dollar agency fee.

Nov 11 09 10:08 pm Link

Model

Alexandra Dennis

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

c_d_s wrote:

It's next week. How did the meeting go?

Sorry for the delay everyone..I've been deathly sick with the swine flu...it's peaking up here right now.  I'm just now starting to get back in the grove of things, but I will make an appt. next week & or talk to the director.

Nov 15 09 08:23 am Link

Model

Revellst

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Alexandra Dennis wrote:
My friend

Nov 15 09 10:01 am Link

Model

Alexandra Dennis

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

JenniferJarvi wrote:
any place that wants you to pay money up front is bullshit..expecially 1,800 take your money and go to a photographer your self and get your pictures done then go to an agency with your pictures..

I don't know what agencies will take llamas under 5'5?

Nov 15 09 08:58 pm Link

Model

Abigayle Rockette

New York, New York, US

no agencies will take under 5'7. And that is pushing it. stick to video modeling or playboy type stuff. That is as good as you are going to get for your body type and height. Just being honest

Nov 15 09 09:59 pm Link

Model

anna men

Los Angeles, California, US

trade shows use short girls.

I would'nt pay anyone 1800 for portfolio.  no way in hell. legit, not legit... get me jobs first and then I ll pay you.

Nov 16 09 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

ALL PRO PHOTO

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

If you have a legitimate complaint I would suggest you contact State Attorney General Tom Corbett. If you have been promised paid work or not been paid for example, he may be be able to recover funds /sign up fees on your behalf. If the Agency you are complaining about is located in Pennsylvania;

Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General
16th Floor, Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17120

Make sure you put the name of the individual and agency you are complaining about at the top of the letter.

Mar 20 10 04:25 am Link

Photographer

ALL PRO PHOTO

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Mar 20 10 04:36 am Link

Photographer

shooter 88

Houston, Texas, US

maybe more milk will help

Mar 20 10 04:39 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Fun City Photo wrote:
The ligitimate Agency is called: Wilhelmina and not Wilhelmenia
Agencies do not charge for pictures.
http://www.wilhelmina.com/

Reminds me of a long-ago TV ad for jewelry by "Carter and Van Peel", which suggests two high-end names "Cartier" and "Van Cleef and Arpfels".

Mar 20 10 05:51 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

World Class Photos wrote:
If you have a legitimate complaint I would suggest you contact State Attorney General Tom Corbett. If you have been promised paid work or not been paid for example, he may be be able to recover funds /sign up fees on your behalf. If the Agency you are complaining about is located in Pennsylvania;

Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General
16th Floor, Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17120

Make sure you put the name of the individual and agency you are complaining about at the top of the letter.

Ravendrive necro-posting in a thread of the undead!

Mar 21 10 12:04 pm Link

Model

DanSir - NYC

New York, New York, US

I've heard from a friend of some Wilhelmina people in NYC that this Willy PA affiliate is a scam. I cannot testify first hand whether or not this is true, so I do not know the validity of the rumors. Now I know I have and do continue to have professional representation, and I have booked some work, but I also am a realist. I am not 19 and I'm not Tyson Beckford or a supermodel. I can't believe that Willy PA is THAT good and yet beating down my door with repeated emails. If they are so interested in me, why don't they offer to pay my expense to come?

I've been on magazine covers and done a lot of commercial print, acting, dance and other related professional work. I NEVER paid anyone for headshots and some "portfolio building" and such. I've paid the normal fees/percentages to my agents when they booked me work, and I've sometimes paid or done work study for acting classes. Don't ever pay $1800 or even $200 to shoot with an agency's photographer up front.

If you have good photos and the look and/or talent, agents will be interested. If not.... cultivate your talent. If you have something special that is marketable, someone will want to represent you (even if Wilhelmina doesn't, try another legitimate agency). One cannot cultivate oneself into being 17, skinny as hell, european looking face and 5'9" if that is not you! Find your nice and flourish with your own unique personality and talent!

Mar 23 10 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Ed Wiget Photography

Fort Mitchell, Kentucky, US

way over priced comp cards......I would say they profit more from their promotional materials than "modeling" jobs

Wilhelmina of PA: FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Do I have to pay a fee to join Wilhelmina of Pa?

Absolutely NOT.  The only thing a new model has to pay for is his/her photoshoots(testing), composite cards, and other related marketing fees.  The Agency receives 20% commission on modeling or acting jobs booked.

Mar 23 10 02:25 pm Link

Model

Nedah Oyin

Chicago, Illinois, US

who the hell brought this back..?!

Mar 23 10 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

dklee studio photo

Richmond, Virginia, US

the local one here does the same thing.  but it is 950 for the compcard

Mar 23 10 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

In the fashion world and model agency petite divisions, the typical height requirement for "petite models" is 5' 6"-to-5' 7".

Just because one is able to wear so-called "petite size" garments does *not* necessarily make them a petite fashion model.

Mar 23 10 08:18 pm Link

Model

Christina VICIOUS

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just went to an open call saturday, got a call back monday saying they want to sign me. I'm 5'7 btw... They told me bring my most recent photos from the past 6 months on a CD to see if they can use them for marketing me, and I wont have to have a Test shoot. They want me to come to Camp Hill, PA...which is the Harrisburg Affliate....

Now I have just talked to one of my non-exclusive Agents in NYC, he told me its a Scam and not to go..So im debating on if I should go this coming Wednesday or not....its a far drive, and I just want to know if theres any Models here on MM that are currently working with the PA division of Willy.....Sorry for starting this topic again, I just would like HONEST feedback smile Thanks everyone!

Jul 29 10 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Bill Mason Photography

Morristown, Vermont, US

Christina VICIOUS wrote:
I just went to an open call saturday, got a call back monday saying they want to sign me. I'm 5'7 btw... They told me bring my most recent photos from the past 6 months on a CD to see if they can use them for marketing me, and I wont have to have a Test shoot. They want me to come to Camp Hill, PA...which is the Harrisburg Affliate....

Now I have just talked to one of my non-exclusive Agents in NYC, he told me its a Scam and not to go..So im debating on if I should go this coming Wednesday or not....its a far drive, and I just want to know if theres any Models here on MM that are currently working with the PA division of Willy.....Sorry for starting this topic again, I just would like HONEST feedback smile Thanks everyone!

They now have an office in Philly. I'm not sure why they want you to go to Camp Hill. I get mixed info on this "agency". To me, they fit the profile of a portfolio mill. Image International in Allentown is another. They make their money on test shoots and classes, not finding models work. I went to a graduation of Image International and saw the most atrocious display of ineptness when the models walked the runway. The "agency" was obviously not accepting people that were legitimate model material. When I see anyone using this same approach, I don't see a true agency. I cringe when I hear of a talented model I know personally that has signed with a business like this. The usual response I get is that they get nothing but promotional work, regardless of their height or talent. The "agency" is just not marketing them. Coincidentally I have just put in a request with Wilhelmina of PA for a specific model that only does paid work and it has to go through her agency. I shot trade with this model when she was 16 and not signed. I'm anxious to see if and how the "agency" responds.

Jul 29 10 10:20 am Link

Model

Dane Halo

https://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/7/5/633824049006071090-SkepticalHippo.jpg

Jul 29 10 10:22 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

OMFG 7174 wrote:

I would have had more respect for them if they did a plus models season. What they're doing right now is letting short girls play dress-up in a pressure cooker environment, and recording the results. It has nothing to do with the actual businesses that involve modeling. Even their "runway walk" coaching sessions, from supposed experts, are giving the wrong information season after season.

I'm way off topic here, but I've been wondering the same thing... Why not a plus size cycle? not because I'm plus size myself (okay, maybe a little bit haha) but because it seems way more logical to me than a short cycle...

OP: wake up. it's not going to happen. listen to all the people here who know what they are talking about!

Jul 29 10 10:33 am Link