Forums > General Industry > Wilhelmenia Agency Scam

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Ivy88 wrote:
WOW is anyone watching the new season of America's Next Top Model. Short Season. And yes, they do have a division for short models under 5'7"..hence the point of the show and them working with that agency.

But yes, obviously that was a scam.

banghead  No, because it's a JOKE.

ANTM is a LIE.  It is NOT the real world.  NONE of the ANTM winners are working as models, and like Rachel said there was one 5'3" girl on the new show & she was rapidly eliminated.  The point "short season" is a PLOY to sell a fantasy to people like the OP in order to keep the ratings high, it DOES NOT reflect the real world.

There is NO "Petite" division.  They have a commercial division that has models down to 5'6" working in it, and a VERY few (mostly Asian) who're shorter than 5'6" by an inch or so.  There're no 5'3" models "rocking the runway" or getting steady paid commercial print work.  Those few (and it's a VERY few, if you read the info & links posted) shorter ladies working it did NOT have to pay $1800 for a portfolio.

You're fostering the sort of misinformation that lead the OP to think there was a chance this was true.

Oct 28 09 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

SLE Photography wrote:

banghead  No, because it's a JOKE.

ANTM is a LIE.  It is NOT the real world.  NONE of the ANTM winners are working as models, and like Rachel said there was one 5'3" girl on the new show & she was rapidly eliminated.  The point "short season" is a PLOY to sell a fantasy to people like the OP in order to keep the ratings high, it DOES NOT reflect the real world.

There is NO "Petite" division.  They have a commercial division that has models down to 5'6" working in it, and a VERY few (mostly Asian) who're shorter than 5'6" by an inch or so.  There're no 5'3" models "rocking the runway" or getting steady paid commercial print work.  Those few (and it's a VERY few, if you read the info & links posted) shorter ladies working it did NOT have to pay $1800 for a portfolio.

You're fostering the sort of misinformation that lead the OP to think there was a chance this was true.

+1

Oct 28 09 09:34 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Photography by BE wrote:
I am still confused as to why Wilhelmina, would have a scam agency linked from their own  web site and clal them an "affiliate".  Ok, money you say, but it just makes no sense unless they are so hard up that they must resort to those tactics.
Maybe that is the case, but sooner or later won't something like that get around.. word of mouth?

Here's the way it works.  In small to mid-size markets, where the major agencies do not serve, there're a host of semi-legitimate agencies.  They cover things like local fashion shows, ads for small chains that might have 3 or 4 locations in one region, etc.  Smaller jobs, smaller pay, lower frequency... and usually even more demands for specific "types."

Because there is less work, these agencies CANNOT survive on what they make booking their models.  So, in order to pay their bills, they often operate "modeling schools" (in some cases this even includes an organization like John Robert Powers or Barbizon being a small-scale agency that books some limited work), take part in "talent searches" (where the models pay to be "scouted"), or operate as portfolio mills (as the ones who contacted the OP seem to be doing).

They will "sign" almost anyone who'll buy their classes, pay for their searches, or buy a fancy but useless portfolio.  That doesn't mean their people will get any WORK, or even that they're actively trying to GET them work.  Hence why I call them "semi-legit." 

Wilhelmina is NOTORIOUS for licensing their name to these organizations.  Here locally their affiliate is a modeling school that will take $1500-5000 from anyone for classes & call them "signed."  They key is that if it's someone they think really CAN get work, they DON'T charge them***... and use that as a selling point to others.  If the affiliate the OP posted about thought she would make them billable hours $$, they would've done her portfolio for FREE.  They don't think she'll get work, so they're getting cash up front.

If you read thru www.newmodels.com it explains quite a bit of this.

*** Point of clarity, this is NOT to say that, in the US, legit agencies never charge up front.  They can & do charge fees up front in many cases but they don't sell classes or $1800 portfolios.  Again, this's where knowing how it all works is the difference between a legit charge & getting ripped off.

Oct 28 09 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

FYI, that agency is an actual affiliate: http://www.wilhelmina.com/licensees.cfm

WILHELMINA HARMAN AGENCY
101 S. 38th Street
Harrisburg, PA 1711
T: 717.234.4417
F: 717.233.7689
www.wilhelminaofpa.com

However, it is not owned by the main agency, they only license the name.

Also, there is no "petite" division at the main agency in New York.

http://www.wilhelmina.com/about_divisions.cfm

At 5'3", unless you're a celebrity or a freak of nature, you're not going to get work in major campaigns.

Honestly, think about what you're dealing with. These are businesses. They put the "STAR MACHINE" sticker over the "MEAT GRINDER" label on the side of the machine to sell more tickets.

Oct 28 09 09:39 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ivy88 wrote:
WOW is anyone watching the new season of America's Next Top Model. Short Season. And yes, they do have a division for short models under 5'7"..hence the point of the show and them working with that agency.

But yes, obviously that was a scam.

America's next top model can have a season for purple models who weigh over 300 lbs and are under 4'8".  I thought we all agreed that this is a reality show, not an accurate represenation of the world of modelling.

EDIT:  were on the participating agencies sites (Usually Ford and Elite on ATNM) does it say that they have a divison for short models?

Oct 28 09 09:43 am Link

Photographer

AcmeStudios

After reading the OPs profile and her responses in the forums I think she needs to send them the $1,800 then sit next to the phone.

It could be her big break, but what do I know.

Oct 28 09 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

AcmeStudios wrote:
After reading the OPs profile and her responses in the forums I think she needs to send them the $1,800 then sit next to the phone.

It could be her big break, but what do I know.

big_smile

Oct 28 09 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Photography by BE

Midland, Texas, US

SLE Photography wrote:
[Here's the way it works.  In small to mid-size markets, where the major agencies do not serve, there're a host of semi-legitimate agencies.  They cover things like local fashion shows, ads for small chains that might have 3 or 4 locations in one region, etc.  Smaller jobs, smaller pay, lower frequency... and usually even more demands for specific "types."

.snip...

Thanks, that seems logical.  Do all agencies have this sort of licensing?

As I say, it seems that sooner or later word would get around, and the agencies who do this  "licensing to semi legit people" would not be very popular. 

On the other hand, there are probably enough new models, with high hopes, to keep them in business for years.

Oct 28 09 09:45 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

WILHELMINA HARMAN AGENCY
101 S. 38th Street
Harrisburg, PA 1711
www.wilhelminaofpa.com

Have Pentax Will Travel wrote:
FYI, that agency is an actual affiliate: http://www.wilhelmina.com/licensees.cfm

However, it is not owned by the main agency, they only license the name.

Also, there is no "petite" division at the main agency in New York.

http://www.wilhelmina.com/about_divisions.cfm

At 5'3", unless you're a celebrity or a freak of nature, you're not going to get work in major campaigns.

Honestly, think about what you're dealing with. These are businesses. They put the "STAR MACHINE" sticker over the "MEAT GRINDER" label on the side of the machine to sell more tickets.

(I rearranged your order a bit so the quotes wouldn't break.)

Yep.  It really IS an affiliate... but see my post above regarding how the affiliates operate, like the one here that's also a "school."  All that the affiliate status means is that they DO get some legit local work for the tiny select percentage who qualify, the rest pay outrageous sums for portfolios or classes to cover costs.

Oct 28 09 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alexandra Dennis wrote:

you're 100% wrong..they have a petite model division!!

& I'm sorry, I spelled it wrong..

here's their main website..

www.modelingpa.com

No they do NOT because they are a Scam
Petite is not shorter then 5'7

Oct 28 09 09:49 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Photography by BE wrote:
Thanks, that seems logical.  Do all agencies have this sort of licensing?

As I say, it seems that sooner or later word would get around, and the agencies who do this  "licensing to semi legit people" would not be very popular. 

On the other hand, there are probably enough new models, with high hopes, to keep them in business for years.

No, it's pretty uncommon.  Wilhelmina's best known for it.  The other major example is one I mentioned, John Robert Powers, which's a name that's become synonymous with scams & "modeling schools" world wide.  JRP was a legit guy, founded real agencies, and all that, but sold licensing of his name YEARS ago.

Oct 28 09 09:50 am Link

Photographer

jonaswahlin

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I love how agencys have all theis great images on the front page with lots of ads and covers and then when you look at their models.. and the models on the front page are nowhere to be found.

Oct 28 09 09:51 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

Btw, I know this is a bit off topic but has anyone wondered before how many pieces of mail the producers of ATNM recieved along the lines of "OMG WHYZ DO YOU GUYZ ONLY USE TALL GIRLS.  THIS IS NOT FAIR TO WOMEN AND DOESN'T REPRESENT ALL WOMEN AT ALLZ" before they decided to make this short season?

Oct 28 09 09:52 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Biana_Libertine wrote:
America's next top model can have a season for purple models who weigh over 300 lbs and are under 4'8".  I thought we all agreed that this is a reality show, not an accurate represenation of the world of modelling.

EDIT:  were on the participating agencies sites (Usually Ford and Elite on ATNM) does it say that they have a divison for short models?

lol 

Oct 28 09 09:54 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:

WILHELMINA HARMAN AGENCY
101 S. 38th Street
Harrisburg, PA 1711
www.wilhelminaofpa.com

(I rearranged your order a bit so the quotes wouldn't break.)

Yep.  It really IS an affiliate... but see my post above regarding how the affiliates operate, like the one here that's also a "school."  All that the affiliate status means is that they DO get some legit local work for the tiny select percentage who qualify, the rest pay outrageous sums for portfolios or classes to cover costs.

have you ever seen the bills of models with top ten NY fashion agencies for the tests they shoot, the model apartment they stay in? the portfolio they get to put prints in? the prints they get to put in that portfolio? the compcards they have printed? the packages they get that comp included in sent to a client? the messenger fees they pay to have their book sent around the city? the airfare and hotel and travel expenses they pay to get shipped overseas? etc.

its way more than what a modeling agency in PA can get from someone, and while it comes out of money the model makes, they are still paying it, tens of thousands of dollars a year at times is not at all uncommon.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.NYPhotographics.com

Oct 28 09 09:55 am Link

Model

nexiste plus

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Alexandra Dennis wrote:
I happen to know a girl who is signed with them, she's 5'6 & getting plenty of jobs.

Alright. So take her advice and don't bother posting here. What's the point of asking if you already have your mind made up?

Oct 28 09 09:56 am Link

Photographer

JLark

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Alexandra Dennis wrote:
you're 100% wrong..they have a petite model division!!

& I'm sorry, I spelled it wrong..

here's their main website..

www.modelingpa.com

Wil. has a PA division, and it isnt Harmen its Wil. of PA and from my understanding they send all their newbies to my good friends Tony and Clint at www.Tony Gibble Photography {you can see them on my recent tags}  I'd talk to them.  As far as this particular "agency" sounds like a scam to me, and I can do everything they are charging you for for much less than 1800.  If they are claiming to be part of Wil.  Call them directly and cross check your sources.

Oct 28 09 09:58 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I don't understand this thread.  Wilhelmina has been licensing their name for some time now and it has been surrounded by controversy.  Have we all forgotten what happened when they hooked up with Options Talent?  My our memory is short.

To the OP, you have already been told, the agency in question is not Wilhelmina, but merely a licensee of them.  There are a number of licensees that are affiliated with modeling schools and many sell photo packages.

Are you looking for a school or a portfolio?  If not, you should find out, what, if anything, they can actually do as an agent for a 5'3" model in a small market.  Whether or not they are a scam is a subjective opinion.  Whether or not they can do anything for you is objective.

Oct 28 09 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Biana_Libertine wrote:
Btw, I know this is a bit off topic but has anyone wondered before how many pieces of mail the producers of ATNM recieved along the lines of "OMG WHYZ DO YOU GUYZ ONLY USE TALL GIRLS.  THIS IS NOT FAIR TO WOMEN AND DOESN'T REPRESENT ALL WOMEN AT ALLZ" before they decided to make this short season?

I would have had more respect for them if they did a plus models season. What they're doing right now is letting short girls play dress-up in a pressure cooker environment, and recording the results. It has nothing to do with the actual businesses that involve modeling. Even their "runway walk" coaching sessions, from supposed experts, are giving the wrong information season after season.

Oct 28 09 09:59 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

StephenEastwood wrote:
have you ever seen the bills of models with top ten NY fashion agencies for the tests they shoot, the model apartment they stay in? the portfolio they get to put prints in? the prints they get to put in that portfolio? the compcards they have printed? the packages they get that comp included in sent to a client? the messenger fees they pay to have their book sent around the city? the airfare and hotel and travel expenses they pay to get shipped overseas? etc.

its way more than what a modeling agency in PA can get from someone, and while it comes out of money the model makes, they are still paying it, tens of thousands of dollars a year at times is not at all uncommon.

Well of course, Stephen, and I NEVER said models don't have to pay legit agencies... see the note at the bottom of my long post just above regarding that.

HOWEVER, for the agencies to be extracting the cash you're talking about the models have to be WORKING.  That's why I said that, for models like the OP who will never MAKE regular bookings, they simply extract the $ up front with classes or expensive portfolios to help support the place.

Nothing I said conflicts with what you said, it's just 2 separate issues.  big_smile

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

BTW
ANTM is reality T.V. not REAL Life.
Ratings do not account for much in the outside world.
Same way gimmicks don't last for long in this industry.

I have been shooting one of the winners since she was 15 , she won elite look of the world competition , and has been signed with Elite Chicago since then. She was signed with Elite During the Show and she is currently signed with Elite , still , she is 21 now.

Here ,
Shot these Back in the Day

http://www.se7enmag.com/oct05/   look for  escalante at the bottom ,look for the model's credit at the end of the story.

Photographer

AcmeStudios

nexiste plus wrote:

Alright. So take her advice and don't bother posting here. What's the point of asking if you already have your mind made up?

+1

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I would have had more respect for them if they did a plus models season. What they're doing right now is letting short girls play dress-up in a pressure cooker environment, and recording the results. It has nothing to do with the actual businesses that involve modeling. Even their "runway walk" coaching sessions, from supposed experts, are giving the wrong information season after season.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the real business if they had plus models, either.  big_smile

Oct 28 09 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:
And it DOES NOT say that (about a short division).  The "winner" of the "short" season will go to Wilhelmina's commercial division, where she'll undoubtedly get lost quickly in the shuffle.

Even the site the OP linked to DOES NOT say there is a "petite" or "short" division, she was basing that assumption because they list some models under 5'6".

I've shot several of the winners from past seasons for Elite, and they are definitely not in my portfolio. The agencies want the publicity, and just give lip service to the winners after they're signed.

Oct 28 09 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:

It wouldn't have anything to do with the real business if they had plus models, either.  big_smile

It would be more real than the short run.

At least Wilhelmina has a plus division to start with.

Oct 28 09 10:04 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I've shot several of the winners from past seasons for Elite, and they are definitely not in my portfolio. The agencies want the publicity, and just give lip service to the winners after they're signed.

Thank you!

IMO, forums like this need a "Godwin's Law" type rule for mentioning ANTM.

Oct 28 09 10:04 am Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SLE Photography wrote:

AMT is NOT the real world.  NONE of the past season "winners" are working models.  This season is 100% a publicity stunt to keep people like the OP watching.

Adrianne is on MM...

Oct 28 09 10:06 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:
AMT is NOT the real world.  NONE of the past season "winners" are working models.  This season is 100% a publicity stunt to keep people like the OP watching.

Nikki Magnusson wrote:
Adrianne is on MM...

I should rephrase that.  None of the past winners (to my knowledge) are actively working in fashion or commercial with any major agencies.  I have no doubt some of them are still actively seeking to work as models.  And that's interesting, I didn't know she was here.  I wonder if she's unaware of the forums (like a lot of MMers) or if she deliberately stays out of the ANTM-focused threads?

Oct 28 09 10:08 am Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Los Angeles, California, US

Alexandra Dennis wrote:
http://www.modelingpa.com/Young_Adults_Women.php

Look through the models ^^

I looked. I was unimpressed. By the photography and by most of the girls. And I didn't see any as short as you.

The whole thing smells. As to Wilhelmina, if they are actually licensing out their name to facilitate scams, I hope that when the scammers get nailed, Willy gets named as well.

Oct 28 09 10:08 am Link

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

I know, at least the plus market is big enough for the winner to actually become a top model.

Oct 28 09 10:09 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Well of course, Stephen, and I NEVER said models don't have to pay legit agencies... see the note at the bottom of my long post just above regarding that.

HOWEVER, for the agencies to be extracting the cash you're talking about the models have to be WORKING.  That's why I said that, for models like the OP who will never MAKE regular bookings, they simply extract the $ up front with classes or expensive portfolios to help support the place.

Nothing I said conflicts with what you said, it's just 2 separate issues.  big_smile

while true, it also confuses the issue.  technically if the model in a Top agency never works they still owe the agency the money, but the agency may never collect, but its not forgiven as a debt, so both "real" and  so called "scam" agencies work to make money from models by charging and over charging.  Some ask upfront, some don't, some collect for years, some don't, some get models real work, some don't, no agency can guarantee jobs to anyone, they only can offer models to clients they have and the market either accepts them or passes.  So while schools are not often useful, I know several models who had gone to one and were found at a convention by IMG/Elite/Ford/One/VisionLA/Next/Trump/ etc.  so yes, in some ways its a rip off, in others its a way to get found when other ways have not worked for them.  Also, those local "scams" may get local work for models which earns them more money if the model fits the criteria the agencies clients are looking for.  Its always hard to say its nothing but a scam, its often a real offer that is profiting from both sellable and non sellable models.  Many real commercial agencies have chosen to take a different path, they realize its not easy or likely to sell some commercial models, and insist that the model supply enough images to put together a portfolio and pay for said portfolio to bring in as well as comp cards and they merely list them as a possible, and collect a percentage if and when they sell it.  That way, they are not making anything until the models makes something, but the model must pay (actual money or barter) for all materials needed to be marketable.

Stephen Eastwood

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

glamour pics wrote:
I looked. I was unimpressed. By the photography and by most of the girls. And I didn't see any as short as you.

The whole thing smells. As to Wilhelmina, if they are actually licensing out their name to facilitate scams, I hope that when the scammers get nailed, Willy gets named as well.

See ei's post about that above.  There've been a number of widely publicized incidents like that.  Wilhelmina isn't liable.

Model

Biana_Libertine

Brooklyn, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:

huh?

Oct 28 09 10:10 am Link

Photographer

glamour pics

Los Angeles, California, US

Photography by BE wrote:

I am sure you are correct, and I know nothing about the modeling world, but...

Why would they license their name to semi-legit portfolio mills?  Would this not reflect on their own reputation?

Just asking.

Why? Because they make money by licensing their name. Would it harm their reputation? Yup. But evidently they figure the loot is worth more than the reputation.

Interesting, because Willy USED to have a superb reputation as a true high-end, high-fashion agency.

Oct 28 09 10:11 am Link

Model

nexiste plus

glamour pics wrote:

selling a product for more than what its worth is a scam, but it isnt illegal...

Oct 28 09 10:12 am Link

Model

nexiste plus

glamour pics wrote:
Interesting, because Willy USED to have a superb reputation as a true high-end, high-fashion agency.

And then they had a reality show on MTV...

Oct 28 09 10:13 am Link

Photographer

StephenEastwood

Great Neck, New York, US

glamour pics wrote:

that had gone way down, but over the past 4 years has made a turn around and gone back up pretty high for the NY agency again.

Their prices and models are back up, and high end.  They do have more range and a larger board then many of the other agencies like One and Trump, so its more diverse, but they have a very high end board again as well.

Stephen Eastwood

Oct 28 09 10:14 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Biana_Libertine wrote:
huh?

That wasn't a slap at plus models.  I was just commenting that ANTM will never have anything to do with the real business, no matter what kind of models they use.

Oct 28 09 10:15 am Link

Model

QuietAsKept

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I agree with everybody who said that the OP could do without an agency because of her height and because of the fact that most of the Wilhelmina licensees in small almost non-existent markets are usually portfolio mill scams.

Oct 28 09 10:16 am Link

Photographer

dklee studio photo

Richmond, Virginia, US

there is this agency in richmond that does it.  they are a legit agency, but they do the same thing.

they say they will develop your port, and it is $900-$1500.  you can only shoot with their "agency" photographer.  his stuff is good, but for the agency to tell you who you can or can't shoot with, i think it is a scam.

Oct 28 09 10:20 am Link